Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So Kid_of has decided she wants to go to Med school.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

So Kid_of has decided she wants to go to Med school.

Oct 29, 2018, 1:59 PM

She graduated magna-kume-laude in engineering this past May.

Anybody have any experience with getting into med school? Pre-requisite courses? Strategies? Schools to apply to?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Tell her to stay away from LSD

Oct 29, 2018, 2:00 PM

and Tigernet

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

thats def how I fd up***

Oct 29, 2018, 2:20 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re:

Oct 29, 2018, 2:01 PM

prerequisite ..... Pre MED

Strategies....... make straight As in PRE MED

Schools to apply.. MED SCHOOL

HTH

Does she have a computer?

Oct 29, 2018, 2:02 PM

She could probably do the University of Phoenix and never have to leave her room until she graduates.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, but I'd rather she not disect cadavers in the house.***

Oct 29, 2018, 2:03 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

OK, I get that.

Oct 29, 2018, 2:05 PM

So she WILL have to go out in the garage once in a while.

starbucks has free wifi***

Oct 29, 2018, 2:37 PM [ in reply to Yeah, but I'd rather she not disect cadavers in the house.*** ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"something in these hills..." -joe sherman

Literally laughed outloud***

Oct 29, 2018, 4:07 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

I think a good strategy would be to start importing cocaine

Oct 29, 2018, 2:12 PM

in bulk. You're going to need something to provide that kind of cash flow if she's going to continue going back to school. From my observations, it'll be an ongoing thing pretty much forever.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

tell her to join the military

Oct 29, 2018, 2:24 PM

let them pay for it and do her residence, in 8-10 years she'll be a doctor, out of the military if she wants, and debt free.

A friends son did that; he's 32, a surgeon, and has no school debt. Was stationed in Japan with a squadron of f-16's for a while as flight surgeon. He's stayed in the military for another hitch because he likes it. He said he might do all 20 years and retire then do his own thing. He'll be rich by the time he's 50.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That sounds good and all, but what if he gets sent overseas

Oct 29, 2018, 2:43 PM

to a M*A*S*H unit in Korea? I mean, he could come back as a ferret-face cross-dressing drunk.

Well, she'd get a short lived spin-off***

Oct 29, 2018, 2:53 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^this^^^ also, any med school will do, pretty much.

Oct 29, 2018, 2:55 PM [ in reply to tell her to join the military ]

Buuuuuuut, the real stakes come when one decides in what to specialize. Only the best get the choice specialties. But if you get it, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In all honesty...

Oct 29, 2018, 3:35 PM

it would be cheaper and easier just to stop at QT and pick up a chiropractor degree. She could be practicing this afternoon if she leaves NOW.

Re: So Kid_of has decided she wants to go to Med school.

Oct 29, 2018, 3:47 PM

Serious answer:

Have her talk to her university career center because this is pretty common and they can talk her through requirements/suggested classes.

She will need to take some additional underground classes as pre-requisites like bio-chem.

Talking to the people from Clemson I know who did this, med school just isn't that hard after being an engineering student undergrad.

Where she can go for med school will depend mostly on her MCAT scores.

She needs to consider what her goals are and the payoff of cost/time because most engineering fields do pretty well vs medicine unless she thinks she is she is going to be a surgeon in private practice (starting when she is 35...)

I would guess if she is thinking about being a primary care physician or a pediatrician, the change will not pay off compared to a career in engineering.

Message was edited by: castaway®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks. She actually met with the Clemson Med school advisor

Oct 29, 2018, 5:26 PM

today.

Unless if it was a fake engineering, why doesn't she just do

Oct 29, 2018, 4:07 PM

engineering?!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

I love that the hate of IE's

Oct 30, 2018, 9:45 AM

is universal.

Imaginary Engineering

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

sup.

Oct 29, 2018, 4:10 PM

Finished med school fairly recently.

This is a huge topic and I’m happy to answer any specific questions. Generally speaking, you can get into med school with any major. You do have to have two semesters of biology, chemistry, o chem, and physics, and have to take the MCAT. At least that’s how it was a few years ago.

Good GPA and good MCAT get you in the door for interviews. Being a normal person and well rounded application gets you accepted.

Apply to several med schools. In state will obviously be cheaper. Contrary to another post in this thread, I would not advise the military route. It’s a long commitment and limits your options, and limits your future earning potential.

Ask me whatever, or feel free to tmell.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Will also add

Oct 29, 2018, 4:12 PM

Med school is really, really, really f-ing hard. It sucks.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm sure med school is hard. It's supposed to be.

Oct 30, 2018, 8:44 AM

BUT IT'S NOWHERE NEAR AS HARD AS GETTING A GED IN STATE PRISON, SO STOP WHINING.

interdasting.

Oct 29, 2018, 5:06 PM [ in reply to sup. ]

Friend of's son said that the only way he could have done it, and loves it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks.***

Oct 29, 2018, 5:22 PM [ in reply to sup. ]

mountains of debt limit your future earnings as well***

Oct 30, 2018, 8:48 AM [ in reply to sup. ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Neighbors 2 sons both graduated with engineering degrees

Oct 29, 2018, 6:27 PM

apparently top of class type stuff, both had either perfect or near perfect SAT's also.

One is now a Patent/Intellectual Property attorney and the other an Oncologist.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

VCOM here in Spartanburg likes to have a variety of

Oct 29, 2018, 7:29 PM

undergrad degrees in each year. (And they get free Clemson tickets, well they sign up and hopefully get one of the 12 tickets they have. I took two 2nd years to the Furman game).

They have campuses in Virginia and at Auburn too. I’ve toured, know several students and been to their clinic. Very impressed (fwiw, I’ve toured MUSC too)

http://www.vcom.edu/carolinas

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

I mean if she wants two kids, a tramp stamp, a camaro, and

Oct 29, 2018, 7:46 PM

A smoking habit, any 2 yr associates degree from a community college will do.

She can live at the beach and take classes at trident in Mt P.

I would encourage her to do it.

Oct 30, 2018, 8:40 AM

Needs to take certain pre req courses and do well in those. (chem, organ chem, phys, bio) You can easily look these up and she probably had to take a few of these for basic classes before engineering.

MCAT score and GPA is important to get an interview. Then, just be normal in interview and will be OK. In-State is cheaper, but I wouldn't just apply in state because MUSC is pretty highly sought after due to location in Charleston.

Make sure she really wants to do it because it is a grind and really expensive.

I think it's a great profession for women who value family life because you can do it part time and still have high earnings. The loans suck, but after several years, she can slow down and work 2 or 3 days a week in most medical fields pretty easily and still make really nice money if family is important to her.

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic