Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So I've been watching the 1998 HBO series
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 3
| visibility 1

So I've been watching the 1998 HBO series

Apr 20, 2020, 5:34 AM

From the Earth to the Moon. It got me curious about current crop astronauts in the Artemis program (return to the moon). That's when I came across Dr. Jonny Kim - a first generation Korean American. Check out his resume:

Summary:
Dr. Jonny Kim was selected by NASA to join the 2017 Astronaut Candidate Class. He reported for duty in August 2017 and having completed the initial astronaut candidate training is now eligible for a mission assignment. A U.S. Navy SEAL, Kim completed more than 100 combat operations and is the recipient of the Silver Star and Bronze Star with Combat “V”. Kim was commissioned as a naval officer through an enlisted-to-officer program and earned his degree in mathematics at the University of San Diego and a doctorate of medicine at Harvard Medical School.

Personal Data:
Born and raised in Los Angeles, California to Korean-American immigrants. Enjoys spending time with his family, outdoor activities, academic and professional mentoring, strength training, and lifelong learning. Holds qualifications in Advanced SCUBA.

Education:
Santa Monica High School, Santa Monica, California, 2002. Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics, summa ### laude, University of San Diego, 2012. Doctorate of Medicine, Harvard Medical School, 2016. Medical internship, Harvard Affiliated Emergency Medicine Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital and Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, 2017.

Experience:
Kim enlisted in the Navy as a Seaman recruit after graduating high school in 2002. After completion of Hospital Corpsman “A” school training, he reported to Basic Underwater Demolition/SEAL (BUD/S) training in Coronado, CA. After completing his training at Naval Special Warfare, Kim reported to John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Center and School in Fort Bragg, NC for the Special Operations Combat Medic Course. He was assigned as a Special Warfare Operator to SEAL Team THREE Charlie Platoon in San Diego, California and obtained various qualifications including Military Freefall Parachutist, Combatant Diver (closed circuit rebreather), Naval Special Warfare Special Reconnaissance Scout and Sniper, and Advanced Special Operations Techniques. Kim served as a Special Operations Combat Medic, sniper, navigator and point man on more than 100 combat operations spanning two deployments to the Middle East including Ramadi and Sadr City, Iraq. He was commissioned as a naval officer through the Navy’s enlisted-to-officer commissioning program, Seaman to Admiral-21, following graduation from the University of San Diego in 2012. Upon graduation from Harvard Medical School in 2016, Kim began his medical internship with Harvard Affiliated Emergency Medicine Residency. At the time of his astronaut selection in June 2017, Kim was a resident physician in emergency medicine with Partners Healthcare at Massachusetts General Hospital and Brigham and Women’s Hospital. Kim remains on active duty as a Navy Lieutenant at NASA.

NASA Experience:
Kim reported for duty in August 2017 and completed two years of training as an Astronaut Candidate. Training included technical and operational instruction in International Space Station systems, Extravehicular Activities (EVA) Operations, T-38 flight training, robotics, physiological training, expeditionary training, field geology, water and wilderness survival training, and Russian language proficiency training. He will be assigned technical duties in the Astronaut Office while he awaits flight assignment.

Awards/Honors:
Silver Star Medal, Bronze Star Medal with Combat “V”, Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal with Combat “V”, Combat Action Ribbon and various campaign and service awards.

Distinguished Honor Graduate, Navy Hospital Corpsman (HM) “A” School. Commandant’s List, Special Operations Combat Medic Course, Joint Special Operations Medical Training Center (JSOMTC). Naval Special Warfare Medic of the Year, Special Operations Medical Association. Tillman Scholar, Pat Tillman Foundation. Trustee Scholarship, University of San Diego. Summa ### laude, University of San Diego (Naval Reserve Officers Training Corps). Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society. Kappa Gamma Pi Honor Society. Mortar Board Honor Society

Dr. Kim will go from being a combat decorated enlisted Navy SEAL to a Navy officer to a medical doctor to an astronaut on the Artemis moon project. Wow... words can't describe how impressive his life has been.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So I've been watching the 1998 HBO series

Apr 20, 2020, 6:16 AM

This is a true Hero. Amazing what great Americans are out there.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

From the Earth to the Moon is awesome.

Apr 20, 2020, 7:12 AM

My favorite episode is the one about Apollo 12. “SCE to AUX? What the hell is that?”

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: So I've been watching the 1998 HBO series

Apr 20, 2020, 8:25 AM

Dude's got it going on. You get the feeling he graduated high school and had no idea what he wanted to do. Then it all just clicked. But he was obviously a brilliant guy.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 3
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic