Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If Clemson football wants to be a leader and positive example right now
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 140
| visibility 1

If Clemson football wants to be a leader and positive example right now

Jul 9, 2020, 11:25 PM

it will announce now that it is canceling football this season.

When there were recent protests and riots regarding race, Clemson stepped up by listening intently, supporting those who were hurting, and made swift changes to building names deemed offensive. It was said, “It’s the right thing to do because people are hurting.”

Well, there are some parallels when it comes to COVID-19. People are hurting. Thousands have died. Many others have been sick. Is it really worth risking even more unnecessary illness and death just to play football?

Case numbers are rising once again. Deaths are likely to follow. I don’t see how football can be played in a way that doesn’t put lives in danger. Even if games are played without fans, there are still players who will contract COVID and be at risk to spread it to others.

We aren’t likely to have a season anyway, so my recommendation is for Clemson to announce now that it isn’t playing football this year. It is another opportunity for our fine university to be an example of compassion and integrity during a challenging time.

I don’t expect many people to agree with me, because the idea of volunteering to not play football this fall stinks. But it’s the right thing to do, and nothing between now and the start of football season is going to change that.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: If Clemson football wants to be a leader and positive example right now

Jul 9, 2020, 11:41 PM

Why don't we just cancel life till this virus is over, whenever that might be.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 10, 2020, 8:26 AM

Tommy,
As much as I love football, there IS a difference between football and life - although some people on this board may disagree.

Life is dynamic - and we have to adapt, wisely and humanely. This pandemic is a huge challenge to our ability to adapt - and we can do better than we have so far.

Football isn’t your life.

Jul 10, 2020, 9:05 AM [ in reply to Re: If Clemson football wants to be a leader and positive example right now ]

If it is, may I suggest reconsidering your priorities?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Football isn’t your life.

Jul 10, 2020, 9:17 AM

The social aspect of “life” is what is under attack here. God made humans to interact with one another. Social skills have already been diminished over almost an entire generation since “social media” has exploded. Kids or rather young adults now, do not know how to properly socialize with one another face to face. They have all grown up texting chatting tweeting and whatever else to other humans. Rarely do they make eye contact or hold meaningful conversation in person. So when we lock everyone away and cancel all social events like football. We are further damaging society. And yes you may say but it’s only temporary....but it’s been 6 months and there is no end in sight. So how temporary is it really?

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It seems like a big jump to go from social distancing and staying home

Jul 10, 2020, 9:24 AM

to playing football.

Where have you been?

Jul 10, 2020, 10:08 PM

Why didn't you post any about our new bkball commit last week? You finally down with Brownall???

Jul 10, 2020, 1:43 PM [ in reply to Re: Football isn’t your life. ]

I work with a lot of adults that don’t know how to socialize either. They are called accountants and they are important.

Jul 10, 2020, 4:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Football isn’t your life. ]

RunJumpCatch

I am grateful for your post. AMEN. As a teacher, I have seen so many families suffer through depression since we went to online learning. Children and adults have had their mental health decline through this.

I am not saying I am "right" but I agree with you that God made us to interact with each other.

We need to keep praying that our leaders will see how important it is to continue to interact so we don't hide out of fear.

Amen to everything you said in your response to "Football isn't your life."

Jul 10, 2020, 3:58 PM [ in reply to Re: If Clemson football wants to be a leader and positive example right now ]

tommytiger2 I think that's what people here are wanting to do--- CANCEL LIFE!

If Clemson football wants to be a leader and positive example right now, they will allow fans to make their own decisions about whether or not they want to be in the stands.

If you don't want to risk your health, don't go to the game.

CANCELING football is a HORRIBLE idea.

Jul 9, 2020, 11:47 PM

I respect your opinion but no I don’t agree with you. We can play football and be very attentive to health. The death rate for those 50 and younger is lower than seasonal cold or flu.

We made it through the Spanish Flu and we will make it through Corona virus too.

Nobody will be made to attend the games. Our testing has increased and our cases increased along with the protest timeline. Our death rate has Continued to declined steadily and that’s a huge blessing for all of us.

Wear your mask, quarantine if your sick. If your high risk take stronger precautions.

As a country we need to get back to work before we break the bank for our kids.

We will beat this thing really soon.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

BOLLOCKS!!***

Jul 9, 2020, 11:48 PM

Being a leader and a positive example doesn't include...

Jul 10, 2020, 12:03 AM

...surrendering to whatever scares you and hiding in the basement. It's kinda the opposite. I can only hope you're trying to stoke some conversation. And, by the way, your comparison to the race issue is ridiculous and unwarranted.

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

Being a leader is also recognizing what's best for your

Jul 10, 2020, 9:25 AM

team and being at the forefront of any of those actions, regardless of personal impact to yourself

Clemson

It isn’t about being scared. It’s about doing what is right.

Jul 10, 2020, 10:19 AM [ in reply to Being a leader and a positive example doesn't include... ]

Based on your logic, it’s also being scared to wear a mask and cancel in-person activities.

Re: It isn’t about being scared. It’s about doing what is right.

Jul 10, 2020, 4:05 PM

Judge Keller®, just because you think it's the right thing to do doesn't make it right.

The media is driven by fear and they love projecting fear on us with questionable numbers. The majority of those who contract the virus are asymptomatic and people have the right to choose whether or not to attend outdoor concerts, restaurants, beaches (which in some cases is ridiculous since we KNOW people are traveling from crowded cities to spread their germs at Myrtle), school, the mall, etc.

Why on EARTH would it be "the right" thing to do to cancel Football? That idea is ludicrous to me. My 80-something year old mother would be devastated if football was canceled. If I had one reason, it would be for HER. My second and third would be for Etienne, Trevor and any other FB member who may not return after this year.

Funny you mention "hiding in a basement"...

Jul 11, 2020, 1:59 PM [ in reply to Being a leader and a positive example doesn't include... ]

...nope, better not go there ;).

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 10, 2020, 12:20 AM

I really, really want to be wrong about this, but I don't see how there can be football this fall. No need to pull the plug now, though. Let's wait until the last possible minute, and run through plans A, B and C before we give up, but in the end, the safety of the teams and public comes first.

Jul 10, 2020, 7:45 AM

I agree with waiting like you mention. But if we know there is no chance, I agree we should race to the podium to make the announcement first. There is not going to be much to talk about on sports radio/ TV, etc. But if we could lead the narrative in calling off football that could help keep Clemson up on the media mountain in a potential good way. Might even be useful in recruiting. We could tell a Momma, that we put your boys health above anything. And there’s the TV footage to prove it. :) That said COVID sucks. Go Tigers.

Jul 10, 2020, 7:56 AM

User Logo
LakeNormanTiger
Recruit [90]
TigerPulse: 86%
Posted: Jul 10, 2020 7:45 AM

I agree with waiting like you mention. But if we know there is no chance, I agree we should race to the podium to make the announcement first. There is not going to be much to talk about on sports radio/ TV, etc. But if we could lead the narrative in calling off football that could help keep Clemson up on the media mountain in a potential good way. Might even be useful in recruiting. We could tell a Momma, that we put your boys health above anything. And there’s the TV footage to prove it. :) That said COVID sucks. Go Tigers.

or as rod serling says, imagine if you will a virus so deadly that you have to take a test to find out if you even had it. you mean that virus.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 10, 2020, 8:01 AM [ in reply to Re: If Clemson football wants to be a leader and positive example right now ]

User Logo
LakeNormanTiger
Recruit [90]
TigerPulse: 86%
Posted: Jul 10, 2020 7:45 AM

just wondering, do you virus people that are scared want the city of clemson to go right down the sh!tter from lost economy. and not to mention small college towns across the country.

BINGO.

Jul 10, 2020, 9:27 AM [ in reply to Re: If Clemson football wants to be a leader and positive example right now ]

We aren’t having football anyway, so be a leader and cancel on our own terms. We can show that we care more about player, staff, and fan health than we do about football. Coming from a “football school,” that is a significant message being sent.

Jul 10, 2020, 4:16 PM [ in reply to Re: If Clemson football wants to be a leader and positive example right now ]

@ddogpappa®, may I strongly suggest that you make your desire for football known on the survey.

My friend, who is 23 years old, had an appointment through Prisma to take the COVID-19 test. He slept in and stayed around the house all day. One week later, he got a phone call saying that his test came back POSITIVE. He NEVER EVEN TOOK THE TEST!

How much more of this is going on?

I hope with you that you are wrong and that they would move through plans A, B, and C before giving up. I hope even more that people would be honest about the numbers.

Jul 10, 2020, 12:40 AM

That would be great if it was only losing a FB season, but huge money college FB has become the support for other college athletics, and for some in our conference, it would be like a sink or swim thing where financially backing for their other sports programs, and the loss of all that money just for a season, it would severely hurt Clemson also....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 10, 2020, 7:24 AM

First, I want to say that I totally agree with you that Football is the engine that allows for the Athletic Department to go.
Second, I would also agree that by losing your main source of income from TV and ticket sales would basically sink you. It probably would for you and me if we lost our jobs depending on conditions.
That said, the more I ponder this the more I believe that it does not apply here. First question I have is what Bills are at risk that the department can’t navigate? I have to believe we have enough in reserve to cover basic maintenance and Utilities to care for facilities. Coaches pay is an area of concern. But then again our coaches are paid really well and I have a feeling they could navigate this hardship. They might be upset, but if we are not playing it’s safe to say that no one else is either. So it’s not like they can go find another comparable job across the street. So where are they going to go? IPTAY donations cover scholarship/ school cost for the students. That money is still coming in because folks like me don’t want to lose the tickets we have. The support staff could be a question mark regarding tutors, dietitians, medical staff and low level administrative staff. And there is a cost there. I am sure some aspects of these services may be adjusted to get through this time. But that is not going to sink the Athletic department. I am sure there are other costs that can be brought up but I think there can be a typical counter to that concern. I believe who really is going to hurt/ suppress is surrounding business. Companies that have existing contracts with Clemson. But while they will hurt, it’s also in there best interest to work with Clemson because that’s the customer who has the money. So Clemson I believe will be ok because of the current and future value that being a major college football program has. Dabo I am sure was a great insurance salesman, but I think at this point his earning potential And job satisfaction is better with college football.

That said, hopefully some aspect of football can be played this year so that this issue turns out to be just another worst case scenario type worry.

Go Tigers!

Dabo wasn't an insurance salesman.***

Jul 11, 2020, 8:11 PM

Jul 10, 2020, 7:27 AM [ in reply to Re: If Clemson football wants to be a leader and positive example right now ]

First, I want to say that I totally agree with you that Football is the engine that allows for the Athletic Department to go.
Second, I would also agree that by losing your main source of income from TV and ticket sales would basically sink you. It probably would for you and me if we lost our jobs depending on conditions.
That said, the more I ponder this the more I believe that it does not apply here. First question I have is what Bills are at risk that the department can’t navigate? I have to believe we have enough in reserve to cover basic maintenance and Utilities to care for facilities. Coaches pay is an area of concern. But then again our coaches are paid really well and I have a feeling they could navigate this hardship. They might be upset, but if we are not playing it’s safe to say that no one else is either. So it’s not like they can go find another comparable job across the street. So where are they going to go? IPTAY donations cover scholarship/ school cost for the students. That money is still coming in because folks like me don’t want to lose the tickets we have. The support staff could be a question mark regarding tutors, dietitians, medical staff and low level administrative staff. And there is a cost there. I am sure some aspects of these services may be adjusted to get through this time. But that is not going to sink the Athletic department. I am sure there are other costs that can be brought up but I think there can be a typical counter to that concern. I believe who really is going to hurt/ suppress is surrounding business. Companies that have existing contracts with Clemson. But while they will hurt, it’s also in there best interest to work with Clemson. Because that’s the customer who has the money. So Clemson I believe will be ok because of the current and future value that being a major college football program has. Dabo I am sure was a great insurance salesman, but I think at this point his earning potential And job satisfaction is better with college football.

That said, hopefully some aspect of football can be played this year so that this issue turns out to be just another worst case scenario type worry.

Go Tigers!

Jul 10, 2020, 7:32 AM

Sorry about the double post everyone. On vacation and Still half asleep.

Who would have thought that in America

Jul 10, 2020, 8:29 AM [ in reply to Re: If Clemson football wants to be a leader and positive example right now ]

the decision would come down to lives versus money ?

Oh yeah, everyone.

Were you also against canceling basketball conference tournaments

Jul 10, 2020, 10:17 AM [ in reply to Re: If Clemson football wants to be a leader and positive example right now ]

and NCAA Tournament this year?

Jul 10, 2020, 12:40 AM

Judge, Judge, Judge.

Sometimes I think you just feel compelled to make a sacrifice, even if no one else can benefit from it.

Are you "volunteering" to lock us all down again? Because I won't stay home without orders from my governor. If protesting is essential to our mental health, I'll protest something rather than stay home.

If you're not locking us down, why not play football? Or watch? Or watch on TV at a restaurant? It's not as though an empty stadium at Death Valley is going to become Contagion Central.

I'd say you've overthunk this. You may eventually be right. But I won't comply without kicking and screaming.

Now that's the patriotism & sacrifice that won WW II***

Jul 10, 2020, 8:31 AM

Re: Now that's the patriotism & sacrifice that won WW II***

Jul 11, 2020, 9:29 AM

??

Aw, Toby, I'll be glad to do both your job and mine while you sit in your basement waiting for this thing to blow over by 2022. Take some more time off at full pay.

Call it "sacrifice" and "patriotism."

It’s pretty simple.

Jul 10, 2020, 10:30 AM [ in reply to Re: If Clemson football wants to be a leader and positive example right now ]

A pandemic has killed hundreds of thousands of people.

We shut down the economy as a result to save lives.

Cases and deaths continue to mount.

Why should football be an exception? Just because we love it and want to see our team play?

I think it’s a bit hypocritical to have sacrificed all we have thus far, and then insist on playing football. It would be one thing if we were seeing encouraging results in terms of the virus, but we aren’t.

I think it’s a prime opportunity for Clemson to once again step up and do the right thing.

Re: It’s pretty simple.

Jul 10, 2020, 10:34 AM

User Logo
Judge Keller®
All-TigerNet [14403]
TigerPulse: 96%
It’s pretty simple.
Posted: Jul 10, 2020 10:30 AM

A pandemic has killed hundreds of thousands of people.

We shut down the economy as a result to save lives.

Cases and deaths continue to mount.

Why should football be an exception? Just because we love it and want to see our team play?

I think it’s a bit hypocritical to have sacrificed all we have thus far, and then insist on playing football. It would be one thing if we were seeing encouraging results in terms of the virus, but we aren’t.

I think it’s a prime opportunity for Clemson to once again step up and do the right thing.

Just wondering, what did you people cowering in the basement do during the swine flu, the hong kong flu, ebola and every other bug we have had to deal that killed thousands and thousands of people. what did you do. how did your life change. please fill us in. i am guessing you do not remember anything because nothing whatsoever in your life changed. fact is, this is a mean bug that infects a lot of people but kills a very minute percentage of people. a vast majority that get it will recover faster than if they had the regular flu, which also kills people by the way. it will go away just like every other bug did then we will have to deal with the next one that comes around. but hey if you remember how your lives changed back then by all means fill us in.

uh - no . it is has 135k in the US. As far as I know we

Jul 10, 2020, 2:29 PM [ in reply to It’s pretty simple. ]

are not planning on playing in China. You want to make a bold statement don;t throw around generalizations use FACTS.

The 132,000 deaths in the United States is

Jul 10, 2020, 3:05 PM

"hundreds of thousands," as I stated in my post.

What part of my post above doesn't contain facts?!?

You’re dumb and it is sooo obvious***

Jul 10, 2020, 10:31 PM

Jul 10, 2020, 10:31 PM [ in reply to The 132,000 deaths in the United States is ]

Jul 10, 2020, 10:31 PM [ in reply to The 132,000 deaths in the United States is ]

Re: uh - no . it is has 135k in the US. As far as I know we

Jul 10, 2020, 4:50 PM [ in reply to uh - no . it is has 135k in the US. As far as I know we ]

@spsparklecity_tiger

Thank you!

Jul 10, 2020, 4:20 PM [ in reply to Re: If Clemson football wants to be a leader and positive example right now ]

Rw43

Thank you. I am sure Judge is an awesome person but it does seem like he is trying to lock us all down again!

I hope we don't have to kick or scream! I hope people will be more sensible about it and less political.

Jul 11, 2020, 9:25 AM

Judge Keller is an awesome poster with whom I frequently find lots of common ground.

I'm not seeking common ground on this matter.

The Social Consciousness Police lost their moral high ground when they capitulated to lawless mobs in the street. Don't tell me Black Lives Matter while you are taking away the opportunity of those young black men to fulfill their dreams and earn a future paycheck. I'm sure that one day they'll understand that we're protecting them for their own good; but right now we're treating them like children.

BTW, all my kicking and screaming will be legal and law-abiding, too.

I respect you a lot and agree that we are usually on the

Jul 11, 2020, 8:33 PM

same page.

But I am not sure what lawless mobs and Black Lives Matter have to do with the discussion on COVID-19 and football.

Other than the ludicrous and biased news reports about COVID not being spread at protests but being spread at Trump rallies, I don't see the connection.

Jul 10, 2020, 6:20 AM

We need a football season even if there are limits on the number of games.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 10, 2020, 8:33 AM

RW,

I am not sure how that reduces the spread of the virus.

How does one decide which games are "safe" to play and which ones are not ?

How does a school admit that some games are not safe to play without opening themselves up to liability issues in the games they DO play ?

Exactly. It would be a huge cluster.

Jul 10, 2020, 10:31 AM [ in reply to Re: If Clemson football wants to be a leader and positive example right now ]

We NEED a football season? Or just really want one?***

Jul 10, 2020, 10:34 AM [ in reply to Re: If Clemson football wants to be a leader and positive example right now ]

Yes, America needs sports.***

Jul 11, 2020, 8:24 PM

No, it doesn't.***

Jul 11, 2020, 8:34 PM

There is a bear in the room in the form of

Jul 10, 2020, 6:27 AM

our Governor, who is threatening cancellation of sports.

Maybe, McMaster was bluffing; maybe, not. But if the numbers don't start decreasing in a hurry, he'll be forced to show his hand.

I'm the positive, optimistic type. But our national and local leadership during this crisis has been wishy-washy at best, downright despicable at worst. Thus, I'm unwilling to second-guess our Governor, although his pro-business stance is strong. He'll have a tough decision, depending on the numbers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There is a bear in the room in the form of

Jul 11, 2020, 9:11 PM

He won't close bars so I think FB is safe from McMaster.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 10, 2020, 6:42 AM

Being gullible is a sign of weakness . This virus is no where near as bad as the media leads people to believe it is . I don’t understand why people want to shut their lives down and call it quits behind closed doors for the rest of their lives. Covid is out there and unfortunately cause many deaths but it’s a know fact that no where near the amount that you see on TV Dailey . It seems a lot of people want this county to shut down and live in fear to enjoy Mother Nature .

So, Garnett, where are you getting YOUR facts from

Jul 10, 2020, 8:37 AM

if not from a media source ?

Do you have some inside, personal connection with someone that knows what the reality of the situation is ?

Re: So, Garnett, where are you getting YOUR facts from

Jul 10, 2020, 9:32 AM

Yes, several nurses in the family that laugh at the numbers that are put out of cases and deaths. Not that there are cases and unfortunate deaths but the numbers that the media portrays. One person gets tested due to work making them but they feel fine , comes up positive. They continue to feel fine and get tested again in 3 days so they can go back to work and comes up positive again, Yep they are added to the daily number again. Happening every day all over the state and nation. Same with Deaths, I here stories from them weekly that a patient passed away and was documented as Covid and it had nothing to do with their unfortunate death. Not saying the virus is not out there and can be deadly just that the numbers are way off.

Jul 10, 2020, 10:44 AM

Garnett,

OK, This is anecdotal evidence but at least it comes from a reputable source.

So here area few questions: By what % do these nurses think the numbers are off ? 1% 5% 10% ?How are they arriving at their figures ?

From where CAN we get accurate figures ?

It is one thing to question the statistics, but one must also have better (more accurate) stats before one can come to a better solution.

Jul 10, 2020, 11:00 AM

Garnett,

OK, This is anecdotal evidence but at least it comes from a reputable source.

So here area few questions: By what % do these nurses think the numbers are off ? 1% 5% 10% ?How are they arriving at their figures ?

From where CAN we get accurate figures ?

It is one thing to question the statistics, but one must also have better (more accurate) stats before one can come to a better solution.

That’s the main problem with this virus ( excluding individuals getting sick ) no one can put a true number or percentage on it . America is in shutdown panic mode due the numbers being skewered and out of wack . So to answer your question I do not know the percentage just that it’s no where near what’s being told Daily

Jul 10, 2020, 11:01 AM [ in reply to Re: So, Garnett, where are you getting YOUR facts from ]

That’s the main problem with this virus ( excluding individuals getting sick ) no one can put a true number or percentage on it . America is in shutdown panic mode due the numbers being skewered and out of wack . So to answer your question I do not know the percentage just that it’s no where near what’s being told Daily.

Jul 10, 2020, 4:27 PM

Garnetisugly,

You are correct. I've known at least 10 people who tested positive and had no symptoms. I know one person who tested positive who didn't take the test. I know of a family who received a death certificate with "Covid" when their death was unrelated to the virus.

Not one person I know in the medical profession trusts the numbers that the media is turning out. They tell me that the number of deaths are significantly low. I get that it is a bad virus when it is mean to some people. The victims who get hit the hardest are typically those with prior medical conditions. Some doctors say it's not any worse than the flu and much milder in some cases.

But good news doesn't sell well.

Jul 10, 2020, 4:56 PM [ in reply to Re: So, Garnett, where are you getting YOUR facts from ]

Garnetisugly

How can we get this information out? My friends in the medical profession scoff at the alleged numbers portrayed by media also.

I hope our decision-makers are smart enough to see through this garbage of exaggerating and falsely portraying numbers.

Jul 10, 2020, 5:43 PM

I wish the whole country would quit listening to the media, It seems that a lot of people want the doom and gloom. Hopefully one day America will wake up and see what the reality is.

Jul 10, 2020, 11:11 PM [ in reply to Re: So, Garnett, where are you getting YOUR facts from ]

I’m guessing your friends in the medical profession are dental hygienist or imaginary. Definitely not statisticians.

Jul 11, 2020, 8:17 PM

Don’t spend money on Vegas , you will go broke. 2 in ICU at GHS and 1 at Spartanburg Regional. Don’t embarrass your self by being so gullible and believing everything the media says.

Jul 10, 2020, 6:53 AM

Folks I think the Judge is being sarcastic but his point is well taken here. If we are going to just give in and go along then why not ? In this "offended " society the leaders are the ones that top the "offended " list so let's just jump on this and win the admiration of the media academia etc.

I'm not being sarcastic.

Jul 10, 2020, 2:34 PM

1. COVID isn't getting any better.
2. I don't think a football season is likely this year.
3. If we do play football, more people will get sick and die as a result.

I would prefer for Clemson to decide now that it is not playing football this year. This would send a message that Clemson prioritizes the health and well-being of its players, coaches, and fans. This would also make Clemson a leader when it comes to this situation, rather than a follower.

I like you judge....

Jul 10, 2020, 7:17 AM

And I expect a similar post..

If this health emergency starts affecting college basketball..

Everybody on here knows you are a HUUUUUGE Supporter of Brownell....

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wasn’t a fan of the abrupt canceling of basketball earlier this year.

Jul 10, 2020, 11:11 AM

But I understood the thought behind it. I understand it even more now that we have seen how deadly COVID can be.

I had hoped that things would be better off by now in terms of the virus running its course. It seemed we were headed that way, but recent spikes tell us otherwise.

Re: I wasn’t a fan of the abrupt canceling of basketball earlier this year.

Jul 10, 2020, 1:20 PM

Considering that covid is known to be considerably less deadly now than it was suspected to be at the time we cancelled basketball this statement makes no sense.

Jstone D329 - “ It’s ok to want a coaching change”
Brownell @Clemson: 8 seasons ranked 50th or worse by Sports Reference’s SRS
1-29: Brad Brownell road record against ranked ACC opponents
142, 161, 294, 307, 293, 166, 225, 180, 260, 164, 141, 72, 68 - assist rankings amongst all D1 programs during Brownell's tenure

Okay, then why are things still closed/delayed/different?

Jul 10, 2020, 2:06 PM

Many schools aren't having kids come back this fall in person, but are instead doing online education.

Many businesses still don't have people coming into the office for work.

The Ivy League has already announced that they are postponing football until the spring.

The ACC has announced that it isn't playing non-conference football games.

Why would these things be happening if it's no big deal at this point?

Re: Okay, then why are things still closed/delayed/different?

Jul 10, 2020, 2:53 PM

As usual you change the subject and create a strawman argument. I simply pointed out the fact that when we cancelled basketball the disease was thought to be far more fatal than it has turned out to be.
The Imperial College model was projecting more than 3 million Americans would die and that the disease had a fatality rate among infected greater than 1%. We know those numbers were greatly inflated. So you should have been more eager to shut down in the spring than in the fall based on the available information. This is the opposite of what you said in the statement I responded to.

Jstone D329 - “ It’s ok to want a coaching change”
Brownell @Clemson: 8 seasons ranked 50th or worse by Sports Reference’s SRS
1-29: Brad Brownell road record against ranked ACC opponents
142, 161, 294, 307, 293, 166, 225, 180, 260, 164, 141, 72, 68 - assist rankings amongst all D1 programs during Brownell's tenure

I understand your point, but the reality is that

Jul 10, 2020, 3:02 PM

there are many new COVID cases being diagnosed. More people are still dying from it. The fact that we have more data now than we did in March doesn't change that fact.

I'm not "eager" to shut down anything. I wasn't then, and I'm not now. But it is clear to me that canceling football this fall is the right thing to do.

Re: I wasn’t a fan of the abrupt canceling of basketball earlier this year.

Jul 10, 2020, 4:30 PM [ in reply to Re: I wasn’t a fan of the abrupt canceling of basketball earlier this year. ]

viztiz®, Yes. Cancelling basketball seems to have been a huge mistake. Cancelling baseball seems to have been as well. I agree.

Looks like someone wants to save energy for roundball.....***

Jul 10, 2020, 7:19 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Has nothing to do with basketball.

Jul 10, 2020, 11:28 AM

However, basketball can serve as an example here. It's a major revenue-generating sport, and conference tournaments were abruptly canceled. The NCAA Tournament was also canceled. Why? To reduce the spread of the virus.

Same logic here.

Jul 10, 2020, 7:40 AM

looks like the project is almost complete. the government has turned part of its people into sheep that blindly follow whatever decree they lay out. it is very sad. hopefully there are still enough people left to stand up and say enough is enough. if not our country is straight down the sh!tter.

Let the individual players and coaches decide

Jul 10, 2020, 8:19 AM

Why not let the individual players and coaches decide whether they want to take the risk to play? The decision not to, at least for the players, should come with no loss of their scholarships. I suspect most would want to play. I do not feel the games can be played safely with large numbers of fans present though. However, the decision to not allow fans at stadiums should be made by the legislature. Yes, these are unusual times which should call for bringing the legislature into session if need be, to pass or not pass any laws related to COVID. These decisions are not urgent much less an emergency, so why do we defer to one man-Governor McMaster. Having said all that, I have strongly supported masks, physical distancing and hand hygiene to decrease the number of cases, numbers of hospitalizations and deaths. Yesterday was the all time high for hospitalizations in SC due to COVID. Deaths are on the rise again too. Fortunately the death rate is significantly down due to having more knowledge and tools to treat this illness. We may lose football because of our zeal to return back to normal without continuing to be prudent which is a shame.

Re: Let the individual players and coaches decide

Jul 10, 2020, 4:37 PM

rons1®, EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!

However, I don't know how many false positives there are. Since my friend never took a test and it was reported as positive, I'm really really wondering how many other deceptive cases there are.

Somebody (or someTHING) wants to shut us down.

But our governor didn't lock down Myrtle Beach or require masks and hundreds (probably thousands) of cases have come from that area. So it'd be unfortunate if the lack of prudence there impacts things.

I'm praying it won't and I am praying that people who have it will stop spreading it.

Is this thread a joke? Poor attempt at sarcasm?

Jul 10, 2020, 8:05 AM

Seriously - some folks need to get a grip. Every Clemson Football player (and probably every Division I collegiate football player) is between the ages of 18 to 29. The latest CDC data for COVID-19 hospital risk for age group 18-29 is .00347%. In other words 99.965% of people between 18-29 have no risk of being hospitalized from COVID-19. Furthermore, that risk falls even more for folks in good physical condition with healthy immune systems like football athletes. There is absolutely no reason to cancel football season due to COVID-19 risks to football players.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So you want to just let players coach themselves?

Jul 10, 2020, 2:09 PM

Coaches are much older than that. How are they supposed to protect themselves if significant portions of their team have COVID-19?

And as you know, players who won't have an issue with it run the risk of transmitting it to others, including family members who are much more susceptible. Otherwise, we wouldn't have schools canceling in-person classes and doing online classes instead.

Don't be ridiculous... The coaches can protect themselves

Jul 10, 2020, 9:50 PM

and their risks are extremely low as well. Here are the CDC COVID-19 hospitalization risks for people in our coaches age range:

Ages 30-39: .0667%; 99.93% chance of not being hospitalized with COVID-19
Ages 40-49: .104%; 99.896% chance of not being hospitalized with COVID-19
Ages 50-64: .161%; 99.839% chance of not being hospitalized with COVID-19

So every age group of our coaches has a greater than 99% chance of not being hospitalized.

Some of you are need to stop buying into the false hype of this disease and accept the fact that the risk is minimal for the majority of people so long as they don't have certain co-morbidity conditions. Stop acting like everyone who is infected with this disease is at risk of death - it is the exact opposite as the vast majority of people are no worse off with COVID-19 than they are a common cold.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think you posted this last night..

Jul 10, 2020, 8:18 AM

right before bed and thought, "I'm gonna troll my Tnet brethren and cant wait to see all the reactions in the morning"...because thats the only logical explanation for your comments.

No, this is just the same Judge bs wanting to

Jul 10, 2020, 9:41 PM

start arguments with anything, anyone. It doesn't matter what it's about. He just wants the whole world to know and agree with his delusional opinions.

Yes, people are still getting sick. Some are dying (Hint - that's life). Wear a face covering in public or places where you are in close proximity to others. It's not hard to understand or do.

But for some reason he wants Clemson to be THE FIRST!! university to make such an announcement to show the world that Clemson is indeed the INNOVATOR and SAVIOR in the eyes of the public - not playing football so everyone stays safe!! Are you serious? Let the NCAA and ACC do their jobs and go with whatever decision is made.

Basically you're wanting Clemson to profit (even if it's just for publicity) off of this pandemic. That's sick.

MOREOVER, say we make this grandiose announcement and in 2 months most everyone else (all the big players) are playing football. We'd be caught with our pants down and look like the laughing stock of the football world. Great idea!

America has enough quitters already.

Jul 10, 2020, 8:20 AM

Covid-19 mostly kills people over 60. I'm one of those old people so the disease concerns me. I take precautions to protect myself. I'd like it if more people wore masks properly, worked harder to maintain social distancing and thought more about public health. But I want life to go on.

There are ~70M Americans over 60 years old. If an extra 10% of us die in the next two years it would be awful, but we'd still have more than 63M old folks still here, living, breathing and living normal lives. Normal lives means an open economy, travel, events, crowds, work, play, sports, hotels, restaurants and all the things most of us like about life.

We need to be a hardy people. Trouble comes along in bad weather, earthquakes, volcanoes, economic collapse, wars and tough illnesses that suddenly begin to unexpectedly kill a lot of people. We need to be strong and ready to face those sorts of more or less normal hardships. Quitting because life gets hard is a terrible idea. Not doing the things that make life worthwhile, the fun things, the relaxing things, the competitive things when trouble comes along would be a terrible idea.

If Clemson wants to be a leader, we need to lead in the right direction. The university needs to open. The young need to go back to school. Athletes need to play. People need to watch them.

Keep calm and carry on. Be strong. Don't whine. Don't expect the world to take care of you. Take what life gives and live it as best you can.

Go Tigers!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people who choose to risk their health and their lives

Jul 10, 2020, 2:13 PM

were able to live out their lives in a bubble, affecting no one else, I would agree with you 100%.

My post is not about being weak or being a quitter. It's about not losing even more ground in the fight against COVID. I resent the way COVID has altered our lives, and I'm willing to give up football this fall to hopefully get COVID behind us a lot sooner.

Exactly. We cannot live in caves until a vaccine.

Jul 10, 2020, 4:32 PM [ in reply to America has enough quitters already. ]

This virus has fatal effects on some people. There is a countless list of things that have fatal effects on people at a sligjtly lower, equal, greater, and much greater rate. Life must go on. Do what we can to limit those effects, but sheltering at home and shutting down everything until the virus miraculously goes away or a vaccine is found, that is far more reaching than going forward in life and pushing through it. We simply cannot shut down the world every time a novel virus appears, or new flu strains, etc. Another point to ponder is - there are vaccines for the flu and yet 250-650k per year die in the world from it every year. Life must go on. Slowing it by hiding at home and canceling life as we know it solves nothing and creates even bigger issues in regards to sustainability of life. People need to wake up.

Re: America has enough quitters already.

Jul 10, 2020, 4:39 PM [ in reply to America has enough quitters already. ]

Harley®

Thank you for your post! But most people over 60 who contract it get over it and survive.

But I get if you want to be cautious.

Jul 10, 2020, 8:24 AM
Doc3.pdf(58.4 K)

Case numbers are rising once again. Deaths are likely to follow.

See attached charts with data taken from https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm
and
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html

The data doesn't show that deaths are following the rising number in new weekly cases. All of June showed an increase in the number of cases, yet deaths continued to decrease.

GO TIGERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jul 10, 2020, 8:42 AM

Nuff said*****

You aren't allowed to post things like this.

Jul 10, 2020, 2:14 PM [ in reply to Re: If Clemson football wants to be a leader and positive example right now ]

Many people here would obviously rather play football this fall than try to save lives and get COVID behind us.

NEWSFLASH

Jul 11, 2020, 8:23 PM

Playing football will not lead to more deaths. Nothing we do, save totally isolating everyone, will save lives. Not even slowing it will not save lives, unless you're talking about slowing it until a vaccine is created. We cannot shut everything down to save some lives and meanwhile have the economy and human wellbeing crumble to the ground. We gotta go forward or the risk to life as we know it is much worse than a the risk to human life. Look, I don't want to get it and I don't want anyone tp get it especially my high risk but, but cancelling football and other sports do not protect the high risk group, meanwhile stopping all things is far worse to the affect on social fabric. If you want more nationwide depression, suicide, chaos, riots, violence, and killings to occur, then yeah, let's just keep everything at a halt while we wait on a vaccine.

And by the way, 550,000 have died worldwide due to COVID. In any given year up to 650,000 people die from the flu every year, let alone pneumonia and other respiratory complications. I assume COVID may pass 650k in a 12 month span, but exactly how much more than the flu is a justifiable reason to shut down the world and watch life crumble around us?

That's incorrect...

Jul 11, 2020, 8:09 PM [ in reply to Re: If Clemson football wants to be a leader and positive example right now ]

The death rate is not likely to follow. The average age of people in latest cases is 31. This is an extremely low risk group. Please step off the ledge.

Sorry

Jul 10, 2020, 8:43 AM

But I respectfully have to disagree with you on this.

I've spouted my opinions elsewhere on this, but suffice to say the numbers are cooked and still don't support the extremism going on. This is a political Alinskyish assault on our country and I'll have nothing to do with perpetuating it.

My 2 cents, and now I'll step off the soapbox.

Are you saying that you believe

Jul 10, 2020, 2:17 PM

that governments around the world, as well as various health organizations, have conspired to create and/or exaggerate the severity of a virus, including faking data, all in an attempt to control the world's population?

I want to make sure I am understanding what you're saying.

Jul 10, 2020, 8:49 AM

I think the fumes from sniffing Brownell's #### have caused you to lose your mind. Please look up deaths from Covid in the US last week and compare to death's from car accidents, heart disease, malaria, TB, smoking, etc. The world needs need's to get on with living life and Clemson needs to lead by example. Please feel free to stay in your basement until you feel safe

I am aware of the data.

Jul 10, 2020, 2:21 PM

Which is why it's obvious to me that there won't be a college football season this year. If for some reason there is a season, it will be fraught with controversy due to the increased number of COVID cases and deaths that come as a result of it. In that case, I predict the season will be abruptly canceled.

It would be a political firestorm. I don't want Clemson to be involved in that. We're better than that. I would like to believe that we prioritize the health and safety of our players, coaches, and fans more than we care about football.

Posts like yours cause me to question that.

Jul 10, 2020, 4:43 PM [ in reply to Re: If Clemson football wants to be a leader and positive example right now ]

atlcutigers® THANK YOU FOR POSTING THE INFORMATION ABOUT THE deaths. This is what my friends in the medical profession have been emphasizing to me for weeks!

Take your vitamin C! Get some sunshine (hmmm..the stadium would be a great place for that) and please don't allow yourself to be controlled by fear.

Jul 10, 2020, 9:31 AM

Silly statement IMO. All I hear from the Libs is wear your mask to save lives. If masks work so well then require a mask to enter DV. After that if folks want to attend they can and the rest can stay home. If masks really don’t work then folks need to shut up about them but you can’t have it both ways.

Yes, masks help. Social distancing does too.

Jul 10, 2020, 2:23 PM

It's hard for players, coaches, and staff to social distance.

If people would have worn a mask and given up some of their activities for just a while, we wouldn't still be in this mess. It's maddening.

Jul 10, 2020, 4:58 PM [ in reply to Re: If Clemson football wants to be a leader and positive example right now ]

jstone D329 Agree with you 100%. Let Tigernation know!

Jul 10, 2020, 9:36 AM

One of the best posts of the year! Id hate to lose football too. I miss it. But lives cannot be replaced.

You have my respect sir!

Thank you. It's amazing to me how many people here

Jul 10, 2020, 2:24 PM

seem to truly care more about football than they do people's health and lives.

Lives cannot be replaced.

Jul 10, 2020, 4:46 PM [ in reply to Re: If Clemson football wants to be a leader and positive example right now ]

Cancel everything that causes loss of human lives. Gotcha.

Jul 10, 2020, 9:41 AM

Just wondering, what did you people cowering in the basement do during the swine flu, the hong kong flu, ebola and every other bug we have had to deal that killed thousands and thousands of people. what did you do. how did your life change. please fill us in. i am guessing you do not remember anything because nothing whatsoever in your life changed. fact is, this is a mean bug that infects a lot of people but kills a very minute percentage of people. a vast majority that get it will recover faster than if they had the regular flu, which also kills people by the way. it will go away just like every other bug did then we will have to deal with the next one that comes around. but hey if you remember how your lives changed back then by all means fill us in.

Jul 10, 2020, 9:43 AM

Fail!

So what is the right thing to do about classes?

Jul 10, 2020, 11:04 AM

I am in favor of in person classes and playing the football season, but understand that one or both might not happen. Given the choice between the two, I will go with classes, but I am curious what your take is on this.

Since Clemson University is an academic institution first

Jul 10, 2020, 2:27 PM

then I would prioritize classes. The difference is that classes can be held online, but football games have to be in person.

I do feel that students will be at a disadvantage by not physically being in class, but at least technology allows them to still be taught by professors and interact via video conferencing. That's still allowing them to get the main instructional benefit, even if they miss out on the social aspect of being in class and on campus.

Jul 10, 2020, 11:07 AM

Deaths have not only declined for the last ten or so weeks, they've gotten so low the CDC is considering ending the designation of this event as an epidemic. Just because the media is trying to keep everyone scared of getting something that's not currently killing any more people than a lot of other things doesnt mean we should fall prey to their propaganda. If deaths were increasing you'd hear about it 24/7. The fact the media NEVER discusses deaths should tell you all you need to know about their agenda and how much you should be trusting them. Just like how kids are almost completely unaffected by this virus yet its some kind of reckless decision to open schools according to those same dishonest media types.

Marxist propaganda from WYFF -July 9th

Jul 10, 2020, 1:12 PM

_the number of people hospitalized in SC that either have coronavirus or are being investigated for coronavirus rose to 1,433, the highest the figure has ever been. The figure is nearly three times higher than it was a month ago.

-the 7 day average of deaths rose to 17.4 deaths reported per day over the last week. The average is nearly 10 deaths per day more than the 7.6 average on June 26th

So it's all just a hoax I guess?

From DHEC today- since June 1st there has been a 436.5% increase in newly reported cases in the 21-30 age group.

I am for definitely opening schools, having sports with limited fans, keeping businesses and beaches open, but to deny science is another matter. I'm not living in a cave, but to act like COVID is just some left wing plot is hard to process. Yes, most young people do fine with COVID, but as more and more of them get infected by not following the guidelines promoted by Mike Pence and conservative governors, they then infect others which is why hospitalizations are up and why deaths in our area are increasing, not decreasing. Were it not for recent available treatments, the number of deaths would even be higher.

One can be conservative politically as I am, but still accept that infections are rising, hospitalizations are rising and deaths are rising albeit the mortality rate from COVID is declining due to having treatment options beyond Oxygen and IV fluids which was all we had initially.There is a reason for where we now find ourselves. To disavow that COVID is a significant problem is not an intelligent argument. If you think it is, contact a physician, nurse or respiratory therapist on the front lines. We can do most things we want to and should, but keep on blowing off the recommendations and Katy bar the door when the seasonal flu hits on top of this.

Re: Marxist propaganda from WYFF -July 9th

Jul 10, 2020, 2:49 PM

Deaths are declining nationwide and are down over 90% from their peak back in April. Sure positives are up, primarily due to more testing but, so far, that's not equating to more deaths nationwide. Additionally the CDC announced they think that roughly 10 times as many people have already (or currently) had this than have tested positive, which means the mortality rate is a fraction of what we were initially led to believe. NOBODY would have advocated shutting down the economy and putting 50 million people out of work over a virus with a .26 mortality rate, yet here we are. If your answer is to keep everything shut down until there's a vaccine then that's your prerogative but its a poorly thought out one, since that may never happen. If we are going to now go on lockdown for any virus that comes along for which we do not have a vaccine I can safely say that life as we have always known it is over. Getting Covid can indeed be serious for some groups, and those groups need to react accordingly, but people of school age are far more statistically likely to die in a car accident on their way to school than they are to die of Covid. To assert otherwise is the opposite of "science" and why over 67k pediatricians making up the Pediatrician Group called, last week, for a reopening of school's. I feel comfortable that if 67k pediatricians think its, on the whole, safe for kids to go to school that my assertions aren't too anti "science". Having said all of that, I do agree that we need to continue with current mitigation measures because. despite your strawman argument, I've never asserted this was a hoax, only that the media is fanning the flames of panic to increase their ratings. Surely you can't disagree that if all we heard every day was about declining death rates and a plummeting mortality rate that people's perception of this virus, and how we were handling it, would be totally different. Your arguments for continued shutdowns smack of someone who hasn't been overly negatively impacted financially by having their business made illegal to open. If so, congratulations but there are millions of people out there who aren't so fortunate. To pretend otherwise is to be in even more denial about our current reality than anyone who you may consider anti science.

Re: Marxist propaganda from WYFF -July 9th

Jul 10, 2020, 4:48 PM

Sounds like we're more in agreement than not. I am not in favor of shutting down now nor even earlier. I am 100% in favor of schools opening. I simply am advocating for adherence to the mitigation efforts of masks, physical distancing and hand hygiene. My chief concern is we are not doing these things well enough which is causing rising hospitalizations and increasing deaths. Again, the overall death rate from COVID is significantly down which I agree is not being given much attention by the media, but important surgeries and procedures are being canceled due to the rising numbers of hospitalizations in our area.Deaths in SC are rising, but again you are correct that a person's chance of dying if infected with COVID is much less than in April. Much less! If you're pro mitigation and pro keeping things open it sounds like we are more or less on the same page. I just keep seeing lots of folks gathered together not wearing masks which I think most would agree is the cause of the spike in cases, hospitalizations and deaths while again acknowledging the death rate is markedly improved.I do not agree with Judge Keller's opinion that CU football should pull the plug.

Jul 10, 2020, 1:21 PM

If they announced no football I would be disappointed, but not as much so if we got into the season and it was a complete sheetshow, which is what I am predicting.

They can’t even decide about public school return let alone what to do about football. I’m afraid my concern is growing that we will be watching a lot of HGTV this fall.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

100% disagree, never will agree, not interested in your

Jul 10, 2020, 2:27 PM

argument. not interested in understanding your point of view on this topic. In fact not interested in anyone telling me how "we" should manage COVID 19.

So is it your belief that we should return to pre-COVID life

Jul 10, 2020, 2:31 PM

as we knew it? Are you proposing any adjustments for COVID, or just live life as we did and be prepared to take our lumps when/if they come?

Re: So is it your belief that we should return to pre-COVID life

Jul 10, 2020, 5:36 PM

Judge Keller®

This platform is evidence to one of the reasons we need to socialize and gather together and watch football. I am pretty sure no one has paid attention to my posts since I posted my picture the other day (need to change it). Having said that, when we have fewer opportunities to socialize, we all go nuts. I had no business jumping into your posts but I did -- cause I was bored and ready to pounce on anyone who dared to speak against football in the Fall. Being stuck in your own bubble brings out our worst!

Re: So is it your belief that we should return to pre-COVID life

Jul 11, 2020, 2:10 AM

Why would you think no one has paid attention to your posts because of your picture?

Jul 10, 2020, 4:08 PM

Why are even on this board?.... this is the least informed commentary I've ever read. You don't want to go stay home. Your choice. You can get COVID anywhere, pumping gas for goodness sakes. This can be made safe and fun and give people a positive vs everything being negative.

Case numbers are using because more people are contracting it and they are testing more, alot more. More testing = more positives. Positives that don't result in deaths are not statistically significant wrt cancelling life...

Any idea how many people in Clemson rely on football for the their livelihood? ALOT. You ok with them going out of business or taking a massive financial hit and the impact that has on their families so you can feel righteous?

I don't expect anyone to agree with you.

Okay, so if someone who has been careless ends up in the hospital with COVID

Jul 10, 2020, 4:13 PM

are you okay with the hospital refusing to treat them?

If they can’t afford medical treatment, are you okay with them being refused care?

If they infect others, are you okay with them being held liable for damages?

Your post makes it sound as if each person’s decision doesn’t impact anyone else. Unfortunately, that isn’t reality.

Re: Okay, so if someone who has been careless ends up in the hospital with COVID

Jul 11, 2020, 10:59 AM

I would be OK with that if we also allow hospitals to refuse treatment to anyone who gets hurt due to reckless driving, anyone who has a heart attack due to a poor diet, anyone who has cancer due to smoking, anyone who has HIV due to their sexual activities, etc. See just how bizarre that sounds when you apply that same "logic" to other behaviors? Behaviors that could easily be argued are far more self destructive than "not wearing a mask to the store". And good luck proving specifically where anybody catches covid. It would not be dissimilar to trying to hold someone accountable for catching the flu. That's an impossible thing to prove

Jul 10, 2020, 4:47 PM [ in reply to Re: If Clemson football wants to be a leader and positive example right now ]

JPF16®

PLEASE PLEASE find your fAN survey and fill it out! They need to know the many voices who believe that football with fans is the wisest decision to make!

Jul 10, 2020, 5:00 PM

It is nearly a certainty at this point all fall sports will be cancelled across every conference. The liability alone would be enormous for amateur athletes. I am frankly surprised as a public health official this decision has not already been made with the US at 60k daily cases and 1k daily deaths. College athletics is simply not essential. The ACC will cancel at the end of the month I'm sure. Not even close in my view.

Jul 10, 2020, 5:00 PM [ in reply to Re: If Clemson football wants to be a leader and positive example right now ]

It is nearly a certainty at this point all fall sports will be cancelled across every conference. The liability alone would be enormous for amateur athletes. I am frankly surprised as a public health official this decision has not already been made with the US at 60k daily cases and 1k daily deaths. College athletics is simply not essential. The ACC will cancel at the end of the month I'm sure. Not even close in my view.

Uh, no.***

Jul 11, 2020, 8:29 PM

Jul 10, 2020, 5:00 PM [ in reply to Re: If Clemson football wants to be a leader and positive example right now ]

Thecatch2 said:

JPF16®

PLEASE PLEASE find your fAN survey and fill it out! They need to know the many voices who believe that football with fans is the wisest decision to make!

Thecatch2 said:

JPF16®

Thecatch2 said:

JPF16®

Jul 10, 2020, 5:44 PM

Unbiased Observer Wow. I wish I had not gotten back on this platform. That is a disgrace if what you are saying is true. That is caving into FEAR -- not reality.

I'm so disappointed to hear this from a public health official. Then, lets just all shrivel up and die if decisions are going to be made for us as you say. Where the #### is our freedom?

So, Mr. Public Health Official, I'm sure I am not the first to observe that there are egregious inconsistencies across health disciplines. The CDC recently made a statement that we were one week away from removing "epidemic" status since (gratefully) the number of deaths have not risen.

You're not from China, by chance?

Jul 10, 2020, 6:29 PM

I do not work for the CDC but for the state so I cannot speak to that. The data for the US and SC is pretty straight forward and not good. Cases are increasing exponentially and the death rate is now increasing.

My guess is college sports may resume in 2022 after we have a vaccine across 70% of the US. I love college sports but given the enormous risk of a death to an amateur athlete I just don't see it happening until 2022 realistically. Thank you

Jul 10, 2020, 4:55 PM

Every one has turned into a sheep ######.

Jul 10, 2020, 4:58 PM

V- A - G- I- N- A

Jul 10, 2020, 5:51 PM

You’re an idiot. Just lock yourself up and play on the internet until a vaccine comes out.

Thanks for the kind words.

Jul 10, 2020, 7:51 PM

Forgive me for caring more about the health and well-being of our student-athletes, coaches, staff, and fans than I do about watching football this fall.

Can you just be logical?

Jul 10, 2020, 9:40 PM

These kids have a statistically greater chance of dying from the regular flu or in an accident. Why haven’t you been calling off football all along?

And it’s played outside! Check out the research on contact tracing and tell me how many people have caught it outside. I’ll give you the answer: 1 and that was from an extended face to face discussion without a mask.

If you’re so worried stay locked up but stop trying to ruin the world for a virus with a survival rate of 99.6%

If you really believe that only one person has caught COVID outside

Jul 11, 2020, 1:56 PM

I have some beautiful oceanfront property in Indiana to sell you.

I thought you were gonna cancel BASKETBALL

Jul 10, 2020, 6:01 PM

because so many people are suffering from it.

Just clickbait I find out.

Jul 10, 2020, 6:22 PM

Wow

Jul 10, 2020, 9:26 PM

Not sure it would be right or even allowed for us to cancel football without the conference doing it as a whole.

According to the WHO, there are 40-50 million abortions each

Jul 10, 2020, 10:30 PM

year, it no one shuts down anything for that. They had their whole life ahead of them.

But we shut everything down for 500k deaths, mostly in those who have lived the majority of their life or have a lower quality of life.

To me, all lives are precious and I don’t like the fact that this virus is killing anyone, but I do think maybe your priorities on where to focus efforts need some adjusting.

I’m right there with you on the horror of abortion.

Jul 11, 2020, 1:54 PM

I posted the sad facts about abortion here when the black lives matter was at its peak. The fact that millions of black babies have been killed as a result of abortion is a much greater threat to black lives than cancer, heart disease, and police brutality combined. Yet nobody wants to talk about that. Instead, it’s about hating on police and changing building names.

So yes, abortion is a much more important issue than COVID, but that doesn’t mean that we can’t also consider public health when it comes to COVID and sports.

I'm Never Going Outside Again

Jul 11, 2020, 9:18 PM

The disease with a mortality rate of less than 1% is trying to kill me.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 140
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic