Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So 24/7 has us at #7 with ten 4 Stars and two 2 stars
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

So 24/7 has us at #7 with ten 4 Stars and two 2 stars

Dec 20, 2018, 9:52 AM

Had a good discussion this morning at work about these rankings and left me wondering.

On the 24/7 list, there are 12 teams with more 4 stars than us. There are 4 teams with more 5 stars. And these other teams are consistently ranking higher than us(although we do a great job of developing these kids.)

What will it take for us to consistently finish in the top 3 or 4?
-- Of the Top 300 ESPN recruits, Alabama has signed 26 of them.
-- They have more than twice the 4 stars we have (only one more 5 star though)

I understand that Bama recruiters have stories to tell that maybe no one else does, but how do we get from #7 to say, top 3? Win more titles? Do we need more $$ for recruitment? Or does it not really matter since we coach up so well?

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Dabo needs to give away more free Raptors***

Dec 20, 2018, 9:57 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

HAHAHA... lord lets hope not!***

Dec 20, 2018, 10:01 AM

Re: So 24/7 has us at #7 with ten 4 Stars and two 2 stars

Dec 20, 2018, 10:00 AM

According to some on here, if we sign Putnam and Crouch that will push us to #3 on Rivals. So maybe we have a shot this year if we finish with a few big pieces.

I'm not sure how each site figures their rankings.

The last two years I believe we have been in the top five in average recruit rating but the small class kept us from getting enough points to be top five in overall class.

This year we are not top 5 in average recruit rating but we have a shot to be top 5 overall.

There are a lot of factors.

I think if we are top 5 in either of those categories and address our needs then it's an elite class.

Dec 20, 2018, 10:01 AM

The coaches don't just chase somebody because of how high they're rated like a lot of schools. They have to fit the program/culture/mind-set. As long as we keep winning with Top 5-10 recruiting classes I don't see why it matters.

I sort of feel the same way***

Dec 20, 2018, 10:02 AM

Re: I sort of feel the same way***

Dec 20, 2018, 10:12 AM

We don't have the highest rated guys but they are the most committed, or what Dabo would call "All In." We've only had 2 guys decommit over the past 5 years (lowest in the nation). Most schools are over 10+, 20+ and Miami has had over 60+ guys decommit over that span.

You might be the highest rated guy in the country, but if you're not 100% bought in to Dabo's program, he doesn't want you.

Dec 20, 2018, 10:13 AM [ in reply to Re: So 24/7 has us at #7 with ten 4 Stars and two 2 stars ]

I 100% agree. The guys have to fit the program, regardless of the # of stars. I firmly believe that our 3 & 4 stars will develop into 4 & 5 stars after a season or two under the guidance of our coaching staff. You can go up and down our current roster and see how our coaches have made our guys better. This years class is stacked at nearly every position, and those guys will keep our Tigers in the hunt for future ACC championships and the playoff for the foreseeable future! Go Tigers!

Dec 20, 2018, 10:02 AM

Be located in a different state. Not saying we haven't been doing a great job plundering other states, it would just be a lot easier to snag 15 four stars if we had 40 of them in the state (e.g. UGA). The state of Connecticut had more blue chip recruits than the state of South Carolina had this year.

Dec 20, 2018, 10:11 AM

Great point. We only have 1 commit from South Carolina in this class so far.

Dec 20, 2018, 10:09 AM

I'm sure there are several factors, but being consistent on the field the way we've been will certainly help. It wasn't that long ago that we weren't consistently in the top 25 of the recruiting rankings, and even more recent we weren't consistently in the top 10. Now we've pretty consistently been in the top 10 of the recruiting rankings, and so we're still making our way up.

Clemson is still fairly new in terms of being thought of us an elite landing spot to compete for national titles yearly as opposed to being looked at as an upcoming team, or a team trying to take that next step. The longer we keep competing for CFP berths, and as Dabo continues towards becoming a legendary coach the more we'll land the 4 and 5 star guys.

Dec 20, 2018, 10:09 AM

Aren't you missing a few points?

1. Do you want to win at recruits rankings, or actually playing football? These star rankings are built on high school stats, 7on7 scrimmages, camps, etc. Our coaches have different criteria, including fit, character, etc.

2. Development is an important element. If a kid is 6-5 and 250. He likely will put on mass and be 6-6, 300 his sophomore year in college. Mike Williams was a 2 star.

3. Dabo has a philosophy about what it takes to win championships, and he does his own evaluations. Based on what he said yesterday, i believe he ranked this class as best ever.

Celebrate the 50-3 record of this senior class and not what 24/7 thinks.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 20, 2018, 10:14 AM

You're correct in your points, but getting elite talent is still a key to success. Our coaches are great, but it doesn't hurt to have elite guys like Watson, Wilkins, Dexter Lawrence, Trevor Lawrence, etc... either. I do agree though that our staff has certainly proven they can take a class ranked between 6-10 and win championships with that so having the #1 overall class is certainly not a requirement to do so. However, landing a few more 4-5 star guys wouldn't hurt our chances either.

I wasn't "missing any points"

Dec 20, 2018, 10:19 AM [ in reply to Re: So 24/7 has us at #7 with ten 4 Stars and two 2 stars ]

and I didn't make any claims... not one. I asked a bunch of questions.
Thanks for your answers though. makes total sense, and I agree.

Re: I wasn't "missing any points"

Dec 20, 2018, 10:31 AM

Did you follow the live stream yesterday on Clemson Football Facebook? It is worth listening to as Dabo explains how different he approaches recruiting these kids. Its worth hearing the point about not giving official visits in the spring.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 20, 2018, 10:54 AM [ in reply to Re: So 24/7 has us at #7 with ten 4 Stars and two 2 stars ]

^This

I say recruiting classes have about a 70% the ability to be +/- 10 spots (if not 15) from where they are ranked to actual performance on the field from a AP ranking. This assumes "average' coaching. So if a coach is better at developing talent, it skews upward ... and coaches that waste talent skew downward. You really need to be in the top 15 to have a chance at a Natty, and in the top 25 +/-10 for a P5 conference championship depending on other team's recruiting in-conference rivals.

So, lets take Georgia as an example. They have been 1/2 for a couple a years and that suggest they can finish ranked between 2-12 for a given season (#1 spot removed since football amuses a team can play for 4 quarters). It is reasonable that UGA should be in the top 15 with top 5 recruiting classes.

FSU will fill this mold well, as their 2015 #3 recruiting ranking resulted in a 14th finish. They were also top 10 leading up to their Winston Champs. As well as our own 16th/9th place finish in '14/'15 placed us in the position to win in 16/17. Still, being #3 vs #9 really does not matter but being #9 vs #22 does matter.

On the other hand... Tennessee has pulled in top 5 recruiting classes and squandered so being a high rank does not insulate you from be a sub 6 win team. The wheels can come off (see FSU) as they had top 5 talent and struggled/did not make a bowl appearance.

So if you look at the top 4 and 10 teams now from their 2017 class, you have Bama at #1, Clemson at #16 (with Tee, Amari, and Etienne), ND at #10 OU at #8... then the next for as UGA #3, 31-0hio #2, Mich #4. You really need to be in that top co-hort or be "Dabo level" for finding/developing players to be in the mix but even being #5 still might land you as a 5-7 dumpsterfire (SoCal, FSU).

M I S L E A D I N G Check it out

Dec 20, 2018, 10:15 AM

4 or 5 of the Top 7 still have UNSIGNED players listed

Clemson has ALL 26 signed

https://247sports.com/college/alabama/Season/2019-Football/Commits/

if that's true, then we can't move up in this class...

Dec 20, 2018, 10:21 AM

.... or am I misunderstanding it? If we're #7 and others aren't finished signing, then couldn't we fall even further back if they recruit more 4 and 5 stars?

247 is counting ALL of em

Dec 20, 2018, 10:26 AM

signed and committed in their ranking. If they don't sign their players, we'd move up.

Another thing to also take into consideration, several of these schools will have signed players in Feb that won't Qualify in August, head to JC and get counted again when they come out of JC

Re: if that's true, then we can't move up in this class...

Dec 20, 2018, 10:26 AM [ in reply to if that's true, then we can't move up in this class... ]

The star ranking include those who have verbally commited even if they have not signed.

PS: Crouch and Putnam have not verbally committed so if we sign them we will move up.

Dec 20, 2018, 10:28 AM

Most of it has to do with the kids we go after. Schools like Bama, or any SEC school, will take any kid that has a high rating. Clemson doesn't recruit that way. Clemson tries to get good young men that also can play ball. Sometimes we miss out on the high star guy due to other factors. The player just wouldn't be a Clemson man!!!

Dec 20, 2018, 10:35 AM

First I love your screen name. If we finish in the top 10 which we consistently have, then I think that we are fine. It is tough to evaluate these kids when they are not playing against equivalent talent, and our coaches have done better than most at evaluations. Also, in general, it is not a huge divide between most of the players, which you can see by the large difference in some of the ratings of the same player.

Also for a comparison in development to Alabama, I think that they averaged playing around 45 to 50 players a game this year or less than 2 of their recruiting classes. I think we averaged close to 70 players a game which is easily 3 of our recruiting classes. Down the road I would rather have the kid that is not quite as good out of high school with basically another year of experience on the playing field.

Good points***

Dec 20, 2018, 12:04 PM

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic