Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1,543

So....

May 24, 2017, 7:08 AM

Is it lazy players or coaching that is the issue?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So....

May 24, 2017, 7:42 AM

Hate to say it, worst bullpen in the country. Look at our losses. Most can be attributed to the bullpen's inability to keep the lead.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 24, 2017, 8:08 AM

In some ways, it's both, but it's really hard (for me) to single out the one thing that's at the root of recent results.

* Defense - I see too many near collisions in the outfield, both on deep and shallow balls. This is an issue with communication. Normally, it's the CF's call for most outfield catch decisions, but I disagree with Monte Lee about the one last night in shallow right - it should have been called loudly and decisively by RF. Greene may have had a good angle, but it is nearly always better for an outfielder to make the catch because he is in a better visual and physical position - to see where to throw and the momentum to do so. Infielders sometimes get confused on who has the right-of-way - mainly 3B/SS. Some are critical of Jordan Greene, but I think he's one of the purest baseball athletes we have.... he's a natural.

* Offense - Our hitting fundamentals are terrible and overall strategy is (to me) poor. If Monte Lee's vision is to have a power-hitting team instead of a bunch of scramblers, he won't be successful (in my opinion). What he will end up with is a bunch of long-ball hitters who can't run and are poor fielders. To me, baseball is best played with superior athletes who are aggressive at the plate and not waiting for a pitch in "their zone", then often striking out. Better athletes also provide better speed, which helps on the bases and on defense. Our pitching really needs help.

So, to me, Monte Lee needs to do some excellent recruiting of high-quality athletes and needs to coach them to play a more aggressive style of baseball.

May 24, 2017, 10:18 AM

Do you think Monte lacks coaching the fundamentals? Just curious because O did enjoy reading your thoughts.

May 24, 2017, 11:26 AM

It would seem so to me. Since so many hitters are using similar technique, odds are good that coaching plays a role. If coaching is counter to what I see, then there is a discipline problem or a lack of coaching.

May 24, 2017, 1:08 PM

I agree with this.

The two errors were simply a gross lack of focus...

May 24, 2017, 8:14 AM

and the ongoing inability to hit with runners in scoring position is a problem that has plagued the team all season.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: The two errors were simply a gross lack of focus...

May 24, 2017, 9:24 AM

Leaving runners on base us a function of talent, playing style and coaching decisions based on the first two.

May 24, 2017, 11:32 AM

Meh...

Im not too sure on that eval. Maybe coaching in the sense of lineup construction but when Beer Ks or pops out with the bases piped you really cant accredit that to coaching.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

May 24, 2017, 12:05 PM

Certainly you can, if hitting fundamentals are at the root of him striking out, that's a coaching or discipline issue - and at times, I believe that's the case, because I don't believe in standing way back in the box in an open stance, waiting for a particular pitch and when it shows up, trying to get full extension. Too many times the result is a called third strke or a purty and powerful swing that results in the hitter heading for the dugout.

May 24, 2017, 12:36 PM

Understandable...

But that same approach won him the #### Houser Award...

We both know that hitting is a guessing game or a chess game between pitcher and batter...Its only natural for a hitter to look for a certain pitch in a certain situation...But I will agree and say that we don't have a hitter that has the "sit on fastball and adjust to the curve" approach.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

May 24, 2017, 1:13 PM

Seems to me that our hitters have always had issues with hitting off speed stuff.

May 24, 2017, 1:35 PM [ in reply to Re: The two errors were simply a gross lack of focus... ]

In my opinion, hitting should not be a guessing game - it should be a game of skill where each pitch is examined with the same initial intent of swinging at it. And yes, there is a mid-swing adjustment fir velocity and trajectory - or cessation of the swing. The main difference is in the determination to hit a pitch where it's thrown, rather than waiting for one in a zone. If you swing at a first pitch and miss or foul, you're better off than if you took a first pitch strike because you now have a base line on arm motion, release point and velocity.

I learbed a lesson in Pony League that stuck with me: First time up against a strange pitcher, he threw me a fast ball on the inside corner, belt high..... I sent it over the left- centerfield fence. 2nd time up, he threw me the same pitch and I got the same result, both balls probably landing within 3' of each other. Neither time dif I do anything other than try to get a good lick on whatever was pitched. 3rd time up I started thinking the guy was easy and I'd look for the same pitch and get a 3rd HR - he struck me out easily. Never again did I try to hit a long ball - just let it happen as a result of good mechanics with aggressive deployment.

Good hitting mechanics will very often cause the ball to be driven over or through the infield and in the gaps - the kind of hitting that rattles pitchers and wins games when combined with soeed and goid base running.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1,543
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic