Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Smoking Boston Butts Tomorrow
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Smoking Boston Butts Tomorrow

Sep 2, 2016, 9:06 AM

What's your best recipe? Anything good to let it soak in over night? Best rub? Also, doing three whole chickens.

What ya got?! \

Having about 30 people over all day for the games. Can't wait to see our Tigers kick some A$$!!!

On a side note, I will not be getting arrested tomorrow night.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've never smoked crack

Sep 2, 2016, 9:06 AM

but I've left a few smokin'

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

do you have a Big Green Egg?

Sep 2, 2016, 9:09 AM

If not, no big deal.

Cook the basterd at 220 until internal temp is 202. Meat will stall at 165. Don't worry, keep on pushing. Should take about 10 hrs.

Do Green Egg's use propane?*****

Sep 2, 2016, 10:46 AM

Elwyn07's Butt

Sep 2, 2016, 9:12 AM

This is a conglomerate of a few different recipes, but its the best way I know. Even included a couple of tips in there.

Plan for about 1.5 hrs/ lb.
Trim excess fat and any bone then inject
The Injection
• 2 cup Apple juice
• 1 cup Orange Juice
• Juice of 1 lemon
• .25 cup Apple cider Vinegar
• .25 cup Franks Hot sauce
• .25 cup Worcestershire Sauce
• .25 cup Brown Sugar
Wrap in tin foil or in plastic bag and let sit for 6-8 hours (no more than 12 hrs before cook time!), and then apply Rub

The Rub
• 1C brown sugar
• 2 tbsp ancho chili powder
• 2 tbsp ground mustard
• 2 tbsp onion powder
• 2 tbsp garlic powder
• 2 tbsp cayenne pepper
• 2 tbsp kosher salt
• 2 tbsp course ground pepper
• 2 tbsp Coriander
• 2 tbsp Cumin

Let sit for 1-2 hours before it goes to the grill.
Prep grill at 275-300 deg making sure you use indirect heat and wood chips. Place meat in a tin pan fat side up and place that on the grill away from the heat source. **Make sure the meat gets to 140 deg w/in first 4 hrs of cooking
Once 140 has been reached let the grill cool to around 225-240 and transfer the meat to a clean tin pan with apple juice in the bottom. Cook until you get the internal temp of the meat to about 160-170 and remove the meat from the tin and place directly on the grill to achieve a nice bark. Pork will be finished at 180-195 deg. Finish over direct heat if you want a little extra bark.
Let sit for at least 30-45 min, pull and enjoy with HT traders eastern Carolina BBQ sauce.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Elwyn07's Butt

Sep 2, 2016, 9:27 AM

You are the man! Thanks for the help! Sounds amazing.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Smoking Boston Butts Tomorrow

Sep 2, 2016, 9:18 AM

Cabelas has some of the best rubs I have used. I smoke often and their blend of spices seem to provide the best taste. I also like to dry brine (salt ribs/butts and let stand for 2 hours) before I smoke them. Good luck.

Won't be as good if you don't use...

Sep 2, 2016, 9:21 AM

a Bose outdoor speaker, Yeti cooler, and BGE.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ive posted that pig before.

Sep 2, 2016, 9:51 AM

Can't search, but it's on here somewhere

crock pot and some liquid smoke***

Sep 2, 2016, 9:23 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

dont forget a can of coke

Sep 2, 2016, 9:44 AM

all the professional crock pot bbq people use Coke.

i seen it on the crock pot bbq national championship channel

Re: dont forget a can of coke

Sep 2, 2016, 9:50 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

I'm doing one tomorrow too, along with some chicken.

Sep 2, 2016, 9:26 AM

Going to use a commercial rub with joungy name I was gifted (I like pig butts and I cannot lie).

Sauce is simple NC style vinegar:

Apple cider vinegar
black pepper
crushed red pepper
texas pete

So, question for you experts - my family is not a huge fan of the bark. When I smoke a butt for 12-13 hrs the bark is pretty thick. I am thinking of smoking it for 4 hours or so, then covering with foil for the rest. Any idea if this will make a more family-friendly bark?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

#ACCFTS

Re: I'm doing one tomorrow too, along with some chicken.

Sep 2, 2016, 9:29 AM

put it in a tin with about a half inch of apple juice. There will probably be some bark on the top/fat side, but it certainly wont be covered.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

OK cool, so no need to cover it? Makes sense, in the past I

Sep 2, 2016, 9:31 AM

have gone straight on the grate with no pan, so it's been in direct smoke the whole time.

#ACCFTS

Re: OK cool, so no need to cover it? Makes sense, in the past I

Sep 2, 2016, 9:39 AM

I wouldnt cover it if its me.

Although Im not sure it matters. I had a real expert recently explain to me that the smoke ring has nothing to do with smoke at all. I havent tested what he told me, but he was saying the ring is purely temerature and lack of oxygen that create that ring. He also said that the amount of smoke flavor you can impart on a piece of meat is marginal at best. I havent really wrapped my head around all of this- just passing it on.

Thanks. It does seem like the smoke flavor has a definite

Sep 2, 2016, 9:54 AM

limit. I've even considered smoking one for a few hours then putting in a crock pot to finish, but I think I am going to try smoking this one through.

#ACCFTS

for the last 3-4 hours wrap in foil with a stick of butter

Sep 2, 2016, 9:43 AM [ in reply to I'm doing one tomorrow too, along with some chicken. ]

turn every hour to get the butter all over the butt and it will soften the bark and turn it into buttery pork goodness

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

only solution. Get a new family

Sep 2, 2016, 9:54 AM [ in reply to I'm doing one tomorrow too, along with some chicken. ]

any "family" that dont like bark mixed in with their meat is suspect to begin with

if you want easy, McCormick has a pork rub that

Sep 2, 2016, 9:44 AM

Is really good and widely available.

Slow and low at 225 and 1.5 hr/ lb should get you to about 165-170. Once there, wrap in foil, turn up the heat to 300 then let it get to 195-200 (another hr or so for a 5-6 lb). Take it off, let it rest for a bit, then she's ready to go.

Simple and delicious.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

rub butt down with yeller mustard first. then douse with

Sep 2, 2016, 9:51 AM

rub of choice. I use Butt Rub.

Cover with wax paper and let sit in fridge overnight with rub on it.

Fire pit. Non UDP. fill BGE with expensive lump charcoal.

Soak Cherry wood chunks in water or a left over beer for an hour or so.

light fire.

Drip pan under butt, I put about 2 inches of cheap apple juice.

distribute cherry chunks in fire.

set the plate setter with drip pan of apple juice

place butts on expensive rib/butt stands on grill grate

turn eggerator thermostat to 225 degrees and desired meat temperature to 190.

then I either go to bed or do something else.

It buzzes when its ready. depending on size of butt. should take between 8-12 hours.

yeller mustard? only in sc!***

Sep 2, 2016, 11:41 AM

Simple is best....

Sep 2, 2016, 10:33 AM

3 onions. Chop them into large sections. One crock pot. One onion on the bottom. Trim and insert butt. One onion around the sides, and the third onion on top. Cook on low for about 8-9 hours for around 8lbs of Butt.

Extract meat, remove onions and juice. Pull with a fork. Apply McCabes vinegar-based BBQ sauce.

Done.

Of course you can get much better if you have a smoker, and other stuff, but this is the best results for the least effort (tailgating, etc.)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you don't have a rub on it by now you better get goin...***

Sep 2, 2016, 10:48 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

I'm more of a simpleton than the rest of these jungers

Sep 2, 2016, 11:17 AM

Rub that bonkuss down with coarse salt and pepper. Let it get to room temp. Cook low and slow to 200. It'll stall as previously mentioned. It'll take forever to get through the 190's, but let it go. When done, I like to wrap in foil and let it rest as it cools. Shred and apply VINEGAR BASED SAUCE and put back in the smoker for a bit. It's also finger licking good with nothing on it. NEKKID BUTTS MATTERS

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Doing mine today so I can do ribs tomorrow

Sep 2, 2016, 11:22 AM

and did some shredded beef already.

I can't do spicy rubs as my wife will not eat so I use amazing ribs' Memphis rub recipe. http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/meatheads_memphis_dust.html

I also like to smoke until 200 internal, but sometimes you just have to wrap and crunch. Depends on your schedule.

Agree on wrapping after 200 and letting sit for an hour or so in a cooler then pull.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i mix up my own rub from a recipe i stole from the label

Sep 2, 2016, 11:31 AM

of one we use in competitions. i trim the butts, inject them and put rub on them the night before i smoke them. cook them low and slow at 250 to 170 internal temp then wrap them in foil with more rub and sauce and cook to 205.

I soak whole chickens in buttermilk over night then coat them with poultry rub, stick a pbr up their butt and smoke them to 175 internal temp.

It don't matter. It's hard to mess up a pork butt as long as

Sep 2, 2016, 11:40 AM

you cook it at 225 or so until it gets to 195 internal temp, with smoke for at least the first several hours. Then wrap in heavy foil, then an old big towel for an hour or so. Any of these seasoning ideas are good. Or just make something up and call it your special secret recipe.

this bad boy will be rollin all weekend. firing it up as

Sep 2, 2016, 11:44 AM

as this ### storm blows over.

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic