Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Smith targeting
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Smith targeting

Sep 22, 2018, 10:44 PM

May be worst call all weekend. Didn’t lower His helmet. Didn’t lunge. Literally just ran into him. Bogus bs call. Unbelievable

Message was edited by: CUinTampa

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Smith targeting

Sep 22, 2018, 10:45 PM

Looked clean to me.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ANd the stupid announcers saying what he did wrong....Said

Sep 22, 2018, 10:46 PM

he should have lowered his head....THEY ARE GOING TO GET A TACKLER HURT! Chad hit him in the shoulder with his chest. WHat else can he do?

Re: ANd the stupid announcers saying what he did wrong....Said

Sep 22, 2018, 10:51 PM

And when he lowers his head he can’t see what he’s hitting and again puts himself at risk for targeting when leading with the crown. It seems that they only enforce this rule selectively. That was a clean hit. What was he supposed to do pull his towel out like it’s flag football or something? Besides I thought targeting only applied if you lead with the crown of the helmet. Maybe I’m wrong about the rule but that’s the way it should be written.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ANd the stupid announcers saying what he did wrong....Said

Sep 22, 2018, 11:04 PM

Actually, it’s defined in the rule as “forceful contact above the shoulders” for the purpose of protecting players from brain & spinal injuries...which is a Good Thing.

The problem is that they leave the determination of forceful or INCIDENTAL CONTACT up to the judgement of the officials without requiring that they only penalize for purposely forceful contact and not penalize for ANY CONTACT, as they seem to be doing against us to be specific.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It’s a well-intentioned rule ... inconsistently enforced.

Sep 23, 2018, 12:56 AM

With the way Alabama was allowed to mug Deshaun Watson a couple of years ago, the tackle called targeting today was ridiculous. Too many times an obvious crown of the helmet, launched, spearing has been ignored while face mask taps get punished.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah like when Reuben Foster hit Watson

Sep 23, 2018, 1:13 AM

after Minkah Fitzpatrick went for the knees and
DW went into the helicopter spin. That was the
crown of Foster's helmet hitting Watson's helmet.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly ... that’s the main one.***

Sep 23, 2018, 8:13 AM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 22, 2018, 10:46 PM

Anyone notice that the announcer called Smith "the Syracuse linebacker"?

I agree with you, but officials are going to err on the side of caution when QB's are involved.

Sep 22, 2018, 10:50 PM

That’s crap too. They reviewed that play and STILL CALLED IT TARGETING.

TOTAL BS!!!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 22, 2018, 10:52 PM

Exactly. They had a chance to right a wrong and didn’t do it.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 22, 2018, 10:56 PM

LOL ACC refs?? Correct a wrong call against Clemson?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Sep 22, 2018, 11:04 PM [ in reply to Re: Smith targeting ]

Yes. It’s pitiful how bad most of the announcers are. Dixon is Davis, our linebackers play for Syracuse, we a QB named Dexter.

I thought the horse collar call on GT’s first drive was pure fiction. I recorded the game, played it back, I still don’t see it.

Sep 22, 2018, 11:05 PM [ in reply to Re: Smith targeting ]

Yeah, i already complained on the commentators thread about being called Syracuse.

It doesn't matter when it's against the quarterback

Sep 22, 2018, 10:56 PM

He is considered defenseless. This is why Stephone Anthony (I think) was called for targeting against SC a few years ago. Neither were dirty, but unfortunately were called correctly.

Re: It doesn't matter when it's against the quarterback

Sep 22, 2018, 11:02 PM

Defenseless Player
ARTICLE 14. A defenseless player is one who because of his physical position
and focus of concentration is especially vulnerable to injury. When in question,
a player is defenseless. Examples of defenseless players include but are not limited
to:
a. A player in the act of or just after throwing a pass.

Sep 22, 2018, 11:04 PM [ in reply to It doesn't matter when it's against the quarterback ]

Basically the ncaa wants everybody playing flag football, and getting participation trophies.

Sep 23, 2018, 1:06 AM [ in reply to It doesn't matter when it's against the quarterback ]

The call today remind me of that one and how stupid it was too. Imagine two people not paying attention and walking into each other causing their heads to knock. Now imagine a free safety lowering the boom on someone’s head crossing the middle of the field. The rule is definitely supposed the second guy as he is in danger of an injury on a needless play. But does that mean the first scenario is targeting the head and neck area just because there is head to head contact?

By the rule it was targeting, which is the problem. There

Sep 22, 2018, 10:58 PM

are plenty of hits in every game where the helmets come into contact due to the position of the offensive player or other circumstances but the defender is making a perfectly safe and legal tackle.
The rule doesn't allow any discretion for run-of-the-mill hits like that that aren't malicious and is completely ridiculous in its application. It should've been changed years ago.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^^^ By the rule it was targeting, which is the problem. There

Sep 22, 2018, 11:04 PM

This exactly.

Re: By the rule it was targeting, which is the problem. There

Sep 22, 2018, 11:53 PM [ in reply to By the rule it was targeting, which is the problem. There ]

Worst call all weekend easily. IA good play to review over and over by the Zebras.

Sep 22, 2018, 11:47 PM

Won't be long until we start having to play flag football.

Watching it live I said to my wife, he's going to be ejected

Sep 23, 2018, 1:07 AM

for targeting before they ecen threw the flag. Hit helmet to helmrt, and its going to be called. Intent has zero to do with the rule.

While I thought it was accidental, it met the rule.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic