Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Sling TV vs Direct Now TV
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 3,293

Sling TV vs Direct Now TV

Dec 22, 2016, 9:20 PM

Anybody have either or both? Thoughts? I know the Direct Now TV has only been out a few weeks, but 100 channels for $30 is tough to beat.

- Anyone have any issue with buffering issues?

- Anyone using Sling TV on the newest Apple TV? Working well?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sling TV vs Direct Now TV

Dec 22, 2016, 9:25 PM

No knowledge of which provider is better, but my Slingbox on a Fire TV is an awesome setup. 60 mb Internet with full HD quality (looks better than Charter HD) and zero buffering. I think it almost exclusively depends on your download speed.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 22, 2016, 9:29 PM

FWIW, if I needed a streaming service right now I'd go DirecTV Now in a heartbeat. Great channel lineup. I wonder how long they'll keep the promotional pricing though.

From what I read, you keep that pricing as long as

Dec 22, 2016, 9:36 PM

you don't turn off your service. $30 is a heck of a deal for $100 channels.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Internet won't be a problem, we'll get whatever is needed

Dec 22, 2016, 9:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Sling TV vs Direct Now TV ]

I already have Amazon Prime TV & Netflix. Figured adding Sling TV Blue & Orange would be a better deal. Of course, that is as long as there is not buffering.

Re: Internet won't be a problem, we'll get whatever is needed

Dec 22, 2016, 11:07 PM

I don't know about the Direct TV option bit tried Slingtv and PlayStation VUE, I ended up keeping PlayStation VUE over Slingtv.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 22, 2016, 9:48 PM

If the intro offer was their out the door, steady price it'd be okay, but I see to get most (not even all) of the sports channels I get with Playstation Vue for $34.99, they want $60.

It does say no annual commitment though, so how do they have an "introductory rate"? When does it go up? Just what is your credit rep locked into paying off if you accept that "intro rate"?

That, and look at how many devices you can use/when/where. Is it only through your ISP? A set amount of devices? All platforms? I was stoked when an emergency came up and I had to go to Florida on a weekend, but was still able to log into Playstation on a friend's OsX-based tablet to catch the Louisville game.

I don't trust DirecTV, so I cut the cord this season and I've been much happier. And I have a lot more entertainment money ;) Oh, and I'm watching a crapton more TV.

I've had Sling from the start...

Dec 22, 2016, 9:55 PM

Added the sports package just for football season and that increased the cost to $25.00 per month. Turns out I didn't need it to watch the Tigers win. I won't change since nothing matches the price and value. Do you really need 100 channels?

Dec 22, 2016, 10:36 PM [ in reply to Re: Sling TV vs Direct Now TV ]

I have used Sling and the mid package for Playstation Vue. I prefer Vue because I can get ESPN and Fox Sports

Dec 22, 2016, 10:54 PM

So, what about the live games on say ABC or something other than ESPN? Do you ever miss any of that??

Dec 22, 2016, 11:04 PM

Nope. I have a low-profile $30 HD antenna that I put on the mount where the DirecTV dish used to be. Used their cables too. They do have nice coaxial cables. Not sure if they were worth the add-on "equipment" fees and all the other hidden charges over the years, though.

I get about 40 channels on that, a couple ABC's, CBS, NBC, Fox, etc. Classic TV and Comet with old shows, plus all the current live stuff. Games, news, etc. I'm in a somewhat remote area too, so people closer to Greenville or Columbia probably get more.

Dec 23, 2016, 2:16 AM [ in reply to Re: Sling TV vs Direct Now TV ]

I made a Gray-Hoverman Antenna. Works like a charm in my area.

Dec 23, 2016, 2:45 PM

Get Amazon TV or Firestick...you can get Kodi and watch everything free...just about anything you could think of.

It's legal. Google it.

Just be careful, providers have been rumored to bottleneck MBps if they sense you're using this program.

Dec 22, 2016, 11:53 PM

I cut the cord this February (previously had Directv). Here's my setup:

- Roku 4 connected to HDMI port
- iView3500STBII OTA DVR connected to component port
- Terk HDTVi OTA antenna for local broadcasts

My bill with Directv was $105/month, and I'm down to $30/month with SlingTV & Hulu. ($35/month during football season when I have the sports pack thru slingtv). After 6 months, I've paid for the Roku, OTA DVR, & OTA Antenna just from the difference in the monthly cost. Also for 3 months when Game of Thrones is on, we get HBONow (worth the extra $15/month to avoid spoilers).

I live in Raleigh (near RDU), and there are a ton of channels available over the air. I've used SlingTV for the WatchESPN login all season (except when we're on ABC, then I use my Over-The-Air antenna). Like others mentioned, the sports pack is a must (ESPNU, SEC network) during football season. I can DVR anything from the antenna, and WatchESPN lets you go back after the fact. I usually use the standalone WatchESPN Roku app, but there have been a few weekends where ESPN takes a dump, and it's down.

The stuff I (or my wife watches), we can get through those sources. With my antenna, I can get both the Raleigh and Greensboro CBS stations--which sometimes have different games on. People in town paying for cable can't even get the Steelers game (short of Sunday Ticket, or going to a bar), and I get it for free, ha. Also, my 2 year old son watches a lot of PBS kids (Daniel Tiger, Curious George, Dinosaur train, etc). All that's free, plus the PBS broadcaster here has 4 OTA channels.

Works really well, though I ran Cat5 wires from my router to the room with the Roku to avoid flakey wireless. I did have to change the QoS settings on my router to give the Roku highest priority--it would drop out when updating apps on my phone otherwise. I've heard that SlingTV wasn't always this reliable, and that they had outages/load problems during big premieres (EG: The Walking Dead). That has not been my experience--solid as a rock, though I do have to occasionally reboot the Roku due to stuttering. As soon as it comes back up, looks great, so clearly not a network/streaming issue on SlingTV's end.

The only drag is I have to stay off social media during the game because there's like a 30-45 second lag with SlingTV/WatchESPN so everyone is reacting on Twitter before I see the play. Kinda annoying, but not a huge deal.

I love it, and don't see myself going back to cable unless something drastic happens to net neutrality, which would allow Time Warner to jack up my cable modem bill for so much streaming. We will see...

Replies: 13
| visibility 3,293
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic