Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Since it's military appreciation day
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1,501

Since it's military appreciation day

Nov 16, 2018, 5:17 PM

any old timers like me remember the guy who used to run the computer lab on the first floor of Martin Hall? For me it was 1981 He had to be ex military, looked like Sergeant Slaughter only meaner. If you didn't tear off your print out exactly the way and in the time he wanted it done he would verbally rip you a new one. Male, female, he didn't care. On more than one occasion I saw him make coeds cry. I would still be afraid of him to this day if he's still living. Can't say I miss him but he is and will always be a part of your Clemson experience if you ever ran across him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yep but I found out if I went in there

Nov 16, 2018, 5:25 PM

in my AFROTC uniform on drill days he would cut some slack, not much but some.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Since it's military appreciation day

Nov 16, 2018, 5:34 PM

Not sure about him, but as a Marine vet I had a gunny in charge of my unit that did two tour in VN named gunny falconer. We called him( behind his back) gunny hi way. He was former F.A.S.T company and a chest full of metals. He talked me into F.A.S.T co which is MARSOC now. He was an incredible character. I remember him saying “ I’m up to my A$$ in alligators!
He’s a true American hero.
GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sounds to me like you needed to

Nov 16, 2018, 6:04 PM

Improvise, Adapt and Overcome.

LOL!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I graduated May ‘81.... who you calling an oldtimer?!?!

Nov 16, 2018, 6:26 PM

Haha.

Yeah, as a EE, I used the lab in Martin, but thought of it more as the basement, so maybe I didn’t cross paths with him.

I do recall one of the Professors that also used the keypunch machines there was ALWAYS beaching about us students that were slow typers. He would say “ALL of you should HAVE to take typing before being allowed on the machines.”

He wasn’t talking about me, I’m sure. Using only two fingers - and the occasional thumb or odd third finger every so often - I was able to type 60 wpm in my high school typing class!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

If you are offended- how do you think guys who

Nov 16, 2018, 10:36 PM

started in '65 like Hartins and I feel about that comment?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Software weenies...Real men punched card on the teletypes...

Nov 16, 2018, 8:16 PM

...in the basement of Riggs Hall.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There were teletypes in the basement of Martin too.***

Nov 16, 2018, 8:26 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Martin Hall = Home of the software weenies

Nov 16, 2018, 10:07 PM

;)

Re: Software weenies...Real men punched card on the teletypes...

Nov 17, 2018, 7:16 AM [ in reply to Software weenies...Real men punched card on the teletypes... ]

Word to the wise - always number your punch cards before taking them to the hopper. Saw a guy drop a thick stack of cards on the floor on his way to the hopper. He had not manually "numbered" the cards and it took him forever to get them in the right order for his program.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Software weenies...Real men punched card on the teletypes...

Nov 17, 2018, 7:36 AM

^^^ I saw that happen once too. Panic hit the room like a tsunami as everyone gathered around to see what happened. He was almost in tears gathering a full box of punch cards. I think his was numbered though, but it was still chaos for him to fix that program.

I can't believe you guys can remember the hall that you used. I minored in Comp Sc. and went to the other side of campus from Johnstone to the P&A building I think. Or maybe close to that. Dang - y'all have great memories.

Punched paper tape...when you drop it it rolls for 20 yard

Nov 17, 2018, 11:12 AM [ in reply to Re: Software weenies...Real men punched card on the teletypes... ]

Then you have to roll it up on a pencil....

Nov 16, 2018, 9:26 PM

Computers????

We used abacuses when I was at Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 17, 2018, 6:33 AM

Computers????

We used abacuses when I was at Clemson.

Wouldn’t the proper term be “abaci “?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 17, 2018, 7:39 AM [ in reply to Re: Since it's military appreciation day ]

And after all these years, next week I will only need my THUMB to help me keep track of wins in a row over the chickens.

Replies: 14
| visibility 1,501
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic