»
Topic: When did the paw get rotated to 1 o'clock?
Replies: 14   Last Post: Dec 1, 2015 9:34 PM by: strikezone
This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.

[ Archives - Tiger Boards Archive ]
Start New Topic
Replies: 14  

When did the paw get rotated to 1 o'clock?

[1]
Posted: Dec 1, 2015 3:54 PM

I was watching some old games, the 1981 USuC game for one, over the last week, and I notice it was straight up. When did it get rotated, and when did the size change?

Since it was first introduced in the early 70's

[3]
Posted: Dec 1, 2015 4:02 PM

When John Antonio with Henderson Advertising finished his Paw design, he presented it to a group of athletic department personnel, who were largely receptive to the Tiger Paw design. Apparently, the key to the presentation of the project was Antonio showing the Tiger Paw on a football helmet. Howard thought it looked sharp and he was on board with the overall idea. Then the Paw was successfully pitched to Dr. R.C. Edwards, who was president of Clemson at the time, and it was also presented to the Board of Trustees.

Some of the intricacies of the Paw that contribute to its aura were implemented by design at the behest of Antonio. The 30-degree angle at which the official Paw sits is there to designate a 1:00 kickoff time for football games, which was a normal occurrence in those days. The indention (the hook) at the bottom is due to a scar that the tiger who had been chosen as the subject for the logo had received before the cast was made.

2019 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Since it was first introduced in the early 70's-no word

[2]
Posted: Dec 1, 2015 4:05 PM

on the fate of those who took the cast of the Tiger's paw. Bet it was a mess though

badge-donor-05yr.jpg

I'm 100% sure it was straight on the helmets in 1981***

Posted: Dec 1, 2015 4:15 PM

It was....

[1]
Posted: Dec 1, 2015 4:19 PM

but that's not how it was originally designed.

The 81 team also used black stripes and trim on the helmets, jerseys, and pants although black has never been a school color.

Was it black, or dark navy?***

Posted: Dec 1, 2015 4:28 PM

It was black....

[1]
Posted: Dec 1, 2015 4:32 PM

We even wore black and white soccer jerseys. It was primarily the baseball and basketball teams that used the navy blue.

Re: I'm 100% sure it was straight on the helmets in 1981******

[2]
Posted: Dec 1, 2015 4:25 PM

2019 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg

null

Re: Since it was first introduced in the early 70's

[1]
Posted: Dec 1, 2015 6:54 PM

Inasmuch as everything that you posted is accurate, a comment may seem out of order. Even so, my comment is:

Indeed Mr. Antonio was the designer ... essentially 100% so far as I know. The idea of a tiger paw logo was that of Jim Henderson himself.

I post this to keep things correct. At sometime in our past statements such as yours have been extended (by some who have read similar statements) to give Mr. Antonio credit for the entire logo package ... idea, design and presentation. Mr. Antonio's work was vital ... and was begun after the idea "step" was over.

military_donation.jpg

I have never believed the story that the 1 o'clock tilt was

Posted: Dec 1, 2015 9:19 PM

for the football games starting at 1 o'clock. I think, at some point, maybe even by the original designer, it was felt that the 1 o'clock placement was more aesthetically pleasing to the eye. As someone with some graphics and photography experience, I think that is definitely the case. Also, from the start, it was conceived as a logo for all the athletic teams, not just the football team.

2019 white level member

Ram

I've seen it both ways back in the day and

[2]
Posted: Dec 1, 2015 4:03 PM

have a program from the 1972 coot game with it at one o'clock on the cover. Some of the fan's clothing back then did have the paw straight up as did the original Tiger Rag.

Correct. The one o'clock thing didn't emerge as "required"

[1]
Posted: Dec 1, 2015 4:17 PM

until the mid to late eighties. I remember the first paws that were painted on the roads into Clemson were not turned.

I also remember when the paw was exclusively used for athletics. You wouldn't see it used anywhere academically. Even the band uniforms had another logo - a C with a flame in it.

The old "flaming toilet"***

Posted: Dec 1, 2015 4:19 PM

That went hand-in-hand with ....

Posted: Dec 1, 2015 4:23 PM

the tiger roar sound over the PA which sounded more like a commode flushing.

Re: That went hand-in-hand with ....

Posted: Dec 1, 2015 9:34 PM

Still have some old Tiger Rags from my days at Clemson (78-82) and the paw is straight up

Replies: 14  

TIGER TICKETS

FB GAME: Georgia Tech
FOR SALE: Two tickets in TDO, Row Q (50 yard line upper deck) available for Georgia Tech. Asking $200 total fo...

Buy or Sell CU Tickets and More in Tiger Tickets!

[ Archives - Tiger Boards Archive ]
Start New Topic
3283 people have read this post