Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Since everyone is talking about Murray....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Since everyone is talking about Murray....

Jun 23, 2013, 11:35 PM

Thought I would give my opinion.

I've been watching a lot of videos of him from this past season.
I don't see how this guy can be called "elite".
Is he good? Yes. His throwing power and accuracy is his obvious strength. His ball handling skills when he is pressed to run are very poor. On top of that, he is not a fast runner and his scrambling ability is very weak. He is not a dynamic rusher at all.

Another thing to look at are his eyes. Murray's eyes are ALWAYS on his target receiver. It almost seems like Murray picks who he is going to throw it to before the play and stays determined to throw to that receiver no matter what. That kind of diligent planning is great for a rush offense, but with a passing game you need to be able to open up the field and spread the secondary.
Looking back, I think this is one of the reasons why UGAy lost to Bama in the SECCG. Murray seems so set on throwing it to one specific receiver he gets tunnel vision and ignores the others. I even noticed this on the few plays where he does roll out of the pocket, he STILL holds he ball out instead of tucking it, and he STILL keeps his eyes on his intended receiver. Good DBs know that if you want to get a good read on the QB, watch his eyes to see where he is looking. QBs like Tajh, Shaw, and Manziel always keep scanning the field and keep their feet ready to go.

Finally, I think Murray's success last year stemmed from the strength of his receivers. Highlight films of Murray show he pretty much either throws a long pass with lots of vertical receiver routes, a play action that rolls him out of the pocket, or he hands it to his tailback. It seems that the receivers had size and strength on their side. Instead of having to use speed and finesse to escape the DBs, their receivers pretty much ran over them. Now that UGAy lost their 2 best receivers this past spring, Murray will be struggling to keep up with his passing game. He will still bean offensive threat, but he will have to significantly step outside of his comfort zone to make the big plays necessary for the dawgs to win, which would hard enough without this problem Murray is now facing.

We all know UGAy is big on momentum, and if it breaks or their players come into the game psyched out like Murray did before the USuC game ("Clowney gives me nightmares" -Aaron Murray) UGAy will not be able to get into their rhythm. Willy B was rockin for the UGAy game, and look what that home field advantage did. If that place affected the UGAy players, imagine how badly Death Valley will mess with their heads. It set the record for the loudest stadium in college football TWICE. A top 10 Clemson and top 10 UGAy meeting in Clemson will make the place explode (I'm expecting another noise record...). That intensity and pressure on an easily shaken Murray and a young and inexperienced UGAy defense will definitely work in our favor.

I predict a Clemson W.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, you sound good on paper....***

Jun 23, 2013, 11:57 PM

I hope it works out like us tnetters are predicting.

Jun 24, 2013, 12:23 AM

It will still be a hard game, but I'm betting on a Clemson win.

Also, at the ed of last season Murray had played 5 top 10 teams and only beat 1. He is 1-4 against top ranked opponents.

Re: I hope it works out like us tnetters are predicting.

Jun 24, 2013, 7:43 AM

Murray played 3 top 10 teams and beat 1 last season
Didn't Boyd only play 3 top ten ranked teams and only beat one also?

Good Stuff

Jun 24, 2013, 1:54 AM

you are exactly right, murray is good, but not great, he does all those things you said, and also with our D being so much improved, their O will never be able to get into a groove, and also I think we will set records all year, totally agree with u on all points

Murray is a darn fine quarterback

Jun 24, 2013, 5:53 AM

ESPiN, ABC, Athlon, Bleacher Report, SI, Steele, AJC, will talk him up so much before that game, you will think he is king.

I got two words for all of those "SEC" biased PUKES:

Tajh Boyd

Tweet That!!

Go Tigers!!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Since everyone is talking about Murray....

Jun 24, 2013, 8:31 AM

I really think it comes down to can Georgia run the ball consistently against our D! If they can, it takes time off the clock and keeps our O off the field! If they can't then it's our kind of game!

Jun 24, 2013, 9:12 AM

Oh, they are going to run the ball on you. It's just a matter if you can limit the UPC.

Jun 24, 2013, 9:13 AM

UPC-yards per carry

Clemson's front seven look to be the strength of the D

Jun 24, 2013, 12:16 PM

this season. If they wind up being as strong as the Spring seems to indicate, then they should be able to limit most ground games we will face. The weakness will be in the secondary. While there is talent there, these kids will need time to build experience. The key for Georgia is going to be getting enough time to throw the ball down field. I see the key battle as being Clemson's pass rush against UGA's offensive line. If Murray can not scramble, it will be a long day for the dogs.

Jun 24, 2013, 9:33 AM

> Now that UGAy
> lost their 2 best receivers this past spring, Murray
> will be struggling to keep up with his passing game.

You were doing pretty good til you got here. Wrong. Completely wrong. King was the #1 last year, but Bennett and Mitchell, who both return, were #2 and #3.

Murray didn't miss a beat .....

Jun 24, 2013, 2:54 PM

when he lost AJ Green. Doubtful he goes into the tank because King graduated. When we're not running Gurshall Murray will have many options avaiable to throw to...and Aaron scrambles just fine, our offense is not designed around him rushing the football. Dumb post is full of dumb.

Re: Re: I hope it works out like us tnetters are predicting.

Jun 24, 2013, 1:01 PM

In a shootout between Murray and Boyd, Boyd wins.

Lets say you have a football team whose offense consists of lerfectly average players. Every member is exactly middle of the road as far as talent, experience, and ability.
Put Boyd in as QB. Boyd has proven he has the ability to throw far on vertical routes, throw short slants to the inside and outside, throw small swing screens to the side, and RUN the ball VERY well.
Boyd has just as much throwing power as Murray, and he is much more accurate (see "4th and 16" against LSU).
The other great thing about Boyd is he is the center of our offense, Murray is not. Boyd has an increadible knak for reading plays and thinking FAST on his feet, he is good at "winging it" when the original play isn't working out. His ability to think fast works well eith Morris' increadibly complex, fast paced, and dynamic offensive schemes. He also has excellent awareess and field vision. you mever sed Boyd looking at ONE guy the entire play like Murray does, that is how you get sacked or cause turnovers. Put Boyd on this ideally average football team and he will be able to adapt and adjust appropriately to make the play. Boyd doesn't need to worry about getting out of his comfort zone because he is capable of using every angle or trick to make the play.

Murray on the other hand is a classic pocket passer. He stands in the pocket and throws down te middle to a receiver on an inside vertical route. Effective, yes. Often times in a man-zone defense that area can get overlooked as the DBs are trying to cover everyone. However, that is Murray's ONLY real trick. It may have worked last year, but now that he is figures out he will be easier to stop. This tactic also suggests that Murray, while he has a strong arm and an accurate throw, actually has very poor abilities when it comes to reading the defense, especially if they are playing the zone. Every bad game Murray has had was when he was forced to get out of the pocket or throw to the outside. He picks the receiver he will throw to before the play and ALWAYS throws to that one guy (which is why UGAy lost the SEC championship game), unlike Boyd who always keeps his eyes open and is ready to run if the need arises. Murray cannot scramble, which will prove to be his breaking point during the game. The game Murray plays is very deliberate. There is no "ad libbing" in his offense. The UGAy O is very powerful, and that slow, deliberate style is effective against weaker teams that cant handle that much strength.

But, you put Murray on that average team and he will perform poorly. His receivers wont make the passing opportunities for him like they did last year, and he'll be forced to either wait for an opportunity to pass (praying his average team's O-line holds long enough) or he will be force to run (something he is very weak at).

Murray is getting over hyped. The reason he has gotten so much attention is because of the strength of te rest of his team. Murray isn't the center of the UGAy O like Boyd is with ours. Yours is more balanced with a slight bias to your tailback system. It allows Murray to get opportunities to make plays. The fact he is getting this hype is simpy because he plays QB. Its one of the perks of the position being the play caller on offense.

The Murray craze is typical media hype and this year will show that Murray isn't so "elite" after all.

Jun 24, 2013, 3:03 PM

Loved the part about "locking on to one receiver." Nothing could be further from the truth. Go check the stats....AM spread the ball around very efficiently and I'll bet Murray was sacked less than Boyd. Both QB's numbers are almost identical last season....and Murray played in a balance offense where as Boyd played in a pass happy scheme. Oh well, carry on.

Jun 24, 2013, 3:08 PM

Don't let facts get in your way.

Quarterback Rating Leaders - Qualified

RK PLAYER TEAM COMP ATT PCT YDS YDS/A LONG TD INT SACK RAT
1 AJ McCarron, QB ALA 211 314 67.2 2933 9.3 85 30 3 22 175.3
2 Aaron Murray, QB UGA 249 386 64.5 3893 10.1 87 36 10 26 174.8
3 David Fales, QB SJSU 327 451 72.5 4193 9.3 78 33 9 26 170.8
4 Tajh Boyd, QB CLEM 287 427 67.2 3896 9.1 69 36 13 31 165.6

Jun 24, 2013, 3:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Re: I hope it works out like us tnetters are predicting. ]

We don't have a "pass happy" scheme. I'm not sure where you got that since we had 588 rushing attempts and 470 something passing attempts. Not exactly "pass happy". Our offense is more about speed and finesse, outperforming our opponents by being faster and more athletic.

Look at Murray's highlight reels. He may not pick the SAME receiver every play, but every play he picks ONE of his receivers and focuses only on that ONE receiver the WHOLE play.
For example, murray comes out of the huddle to throw a 4 verticals play, when they line up, he looks at ONE GUY, lets say its Davis, and focuses ONLY ON DAVIS the whole play. He doesn't look to his other receivers to see if he can make a play there, he keeps his eyes dead locked on Davis through the whole 4 verticals and throws at him.
The next play they line up for a play action vertical, Murray looks at Eunice before the snap, and then ONLY looks at Eunice the rest of that play, eventually throwing to Eunice.

Murray picks his receiver before the play begins and stays deadlocked o hat ONE receiver. He may use different receivers on different plays, but you know exactly who he is going to throw to because Murray stares at his one target receiver like a 10 year old boy stares at his first pair of #####.

Likewise, its also pretty easy to predict who Murray will throw to, because 9 out 10 times he ALWAYS picks the receiver that runs the inside vertical slant. He doesn't look to his outside receivers running angles into the corners. While it has been effective for Murray since the defenses always expect corner routes, it is very easy to read and very easy to stop with a zoned linebacker. Likewise, it shows Murray has little to no skill when it comes to reading the defense. You're going to be in a very big mess if Richt decides to try to make Murray run more since he's also a very very weak scrambler and terrible at reading the defense...

He also gets psyched out very easily. One good sack early in the game combined with a physical defense and a rocking Death Valley crowd will send Murray back into his shell.

Alabama and USuC picked up on all of this, look what happened.

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic