Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Since Everyone is giving their Playoffs, Here's Mine
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

Since Everyone is giving their Playoffs, Here's Mine

Nov 29, 2018, 12:07 PM

8 team playoffs, no more, no less.

Keep the committee and let them keep publishing rankings as they currently do.

1. After Conference championship games, any power 5 conference champion that ranks in the committee's top 8 on the Sunday after gets an auto bid.

2. Any spots left open after those teams fill in goes to at-large (conference champs not in the top 8 can still be chosen)

3. Seeding goes by the rankings.

4. Round's 1 and rounds 2 are played at the same site for each group of 4 teams so that those 2 teams moving on to round 2 don't even have to leave the city.
example: 1 vs 8 and 3 vs 6 in Atlanta for rounds 1 and 2. winners face each other round 2
2 vs 7 and 4 vs 5 in new orleans for rounds 1 and 2. winner face each other
winners of round 2 face each other in the CFP Championship in Phoenix

5. Overall example if using last season's final CFP rankingss

Seed Team CFP Rank Bid
1 clemson 1 Auto

2 oklahoma 2 Auto

3 UGA 3 Auto

4 Alabama 4 At-Large

5 Ohio St 5 Auto

6 Wisonsin 6 At-Large

7 Auburn 7 At-Large

8 USC 8 Auto

New Orleans Bracket
1 Clemson (auto) vs 8 USC (at-large)
3 UGA (auto) vs 6 Wisconsin (at-large)

Rose Bracket
2 Oklahoma (auto) vs 7 Auburn (at-large)
4 Alabama (at-large) vs 5 Ohio St. (auto)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Since Everyone is giving their Playoffs, Here's Mine

Nov 29, 2018, 12:17 PM

That is a good solution but I really don’t think that anything will be done that will add extra games to the playoff.

I think we are stuck with four and teams are going to be forced to change their scheduling if they want to have a chance to be in the mix at the end.

I heard Dabo say in an interview last week that we were the only team who had beaten the most teams with seven wins.
If true, that surprises me.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 29, 2018, 12:17 PM

Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State win big. Oklahoma wins a high scoring shootout but is jumped by Ohio State in committee.

Alabama beats Ohio State big in the Cotton.

Clemson beats Notre Dame big in the Orange.

Clemson beats Alabama in a low scoring game in Santa Clara.

Best two teams meet in the championship and the current system works.

Nov 29, 2018, 12:22 PM

You can't say that unless you honestly believe Notre Dame is better than UGA. ND deserves a shot but I don't know how anyone can honestly say they're better than Georgia. And if that's the case the current system doesn't give everyone deserving a shot.

Same goes for saying Ohio State is better than Oklahoma. Just don't see it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 29, 2018, 12:48 PM

Georgia gets their shot this weekend.

Neither Oklahoma or Ohio State plays defense well enough to compete with Clemson or Alabama.

Lots of money in the CFP. NCAA is living on borrowed time not formally compensating their players.

They don't want to risk an anti-trust fight with the current administration by forcing the players to play another uncompensated game.

Nov 29, 2018, 1:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Since Everyone is giving their Playoffs, Here's Mine ]

Don't believe ND deserves a shot just like Alabama didn't deserve one last year. Why give these teams a bye to get healthier, more rested and to scheme more against other teams? How did they deserve that. Make ND play 12 games or leave them out - and why make them 3rd on top of that! Why do people buy into this crap and injustice? Stand up and don't go with the mindless sheep that just accept and agree with this...

Nov 29, 2018, 1:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Since Everyone is giving their Playoffs, Here's Mine ]

Bub said:

Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State win big. Oklahoma wins a high scoring shootout but is jumped by Ohio State in committee.

Alabama beats Ohio State big in the Cotton.

Clemson beats Notre Dame big in the Orange.

Clemson beats Alabama in a low scoring game in Santa Clara.

Best two teams meet in the championship and the current system works.

I don't think they should jump OU.

Tosu's loss to to Purdue is unacceptable, especially in beatdown fashion.

OU's loss was to a ranked Texas who they will play saturday. If they avenge that loss, no way the committee can put tosu above them.

Regardless the committee is getting what it wants. 4 college bluebloods new and old. But whichever gets left out is gonna be complaining like h#ll.

Nov 29, 2018, 1:26 PM

But someone will always be complaining, regardless of the amount of teams

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Nov 29, 2018, 1:27 PM [ in reply to Re: Since Everyone is giving their Playoffs, Here's Mine ]

Ohio State gets the playoff bid not because they are a better team than Oklahoma, it's because the Big 12 got the CFP money last year and the Big 10 was shut out.

Yes. I become cynical on committee tradeoffs when the money is this large.

Nov 29, 2018, 2:17 PM

Also because Ohio St has a gimme and OK-TX game will be a pick-em

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 29, 2018, 1:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Since Everyone is giving their Playoffs, Here's Mine ]

These last few comments/debates proves 4 isn't enough

looks right Bub +1***

Nov 29, 2018, 2:13 PM [ in reply to Re: Since Everyone is giving their Playoffs, Here's Mine ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 29, 2018, 2:07 PM

FCS has the right model, 24 teams, top eight get first round bye. Rounds 1-4 are played on campuses at the higher seed location (but FBS could perhaps figure out how to adjust bowl locations to accommodate the quarterfinal and semi-final rounds). The FCS playoffs start the Saturday after Thanksgiving (rivalry week for FBS) and their championship game is two days before the FBS game although their semifinals are mid-December so the final two teams get three weeks to rest and prepare for the championship game.

Using this year as an example -- FBS could have round 1 on 8 Dec (8 games involving the bottom 16 teams while the top 8 seeds have byes) , round 2 of 8 games on 15 Dec (8 seeds plus 8 winners of round 1), quarterfinals as bowl games on 22 Dec, semifinals as bowl games on 29 Dec (jut like the current CFP) and finals on 7 Jan.

An argument against this is that it could cause a team to play an FBS 16 game schedule, the equivalent of an NFL regular season. You could reduce that by one game if you restricted the number of "cupcake" games FBS teams scheduled each season. And for what it's worth the FCS championship game teams play 15 or 16 games each season, if they can handle it, surely FBS programs can as well.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic