Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Riddle me this...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

Riddle me this...

Oct 7, 2018, 9:15 AM

If, in the end, after each game, we talk about how strong our rushing attack is and why it's so important to establish our rushing attack, then...

Why is it that we do as little as possible at the beginning of each game to establish above stated goal??

Hum....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Riddle me this...

Oct 7, 2018, 9:36 AM

Thank you! I dont get it either. The play calling on the first couple drives is baffling. I understand coming out a little conservative and getting your feet under you especially on the road. But as you said why not start to establish the run rather than establish ... the screen game I guess??

To those who are going to chime in and "politely" remind me that we scored 63 pts: yes we played a great 3 quarters of football. It was awesome and I'm so happy we finally got a laugher. BUT football is like chess your first play is supposed to set up your second, your second set up your third and so on. And as @iron44 pointed out why not start by establishing the run? The run game is much more effective at setting up the rest of your offense than any short passing scheme. It slows down the opponents pass rush as they expect a run, o-line man prefer run blocking and this gives them a chance to get their feet under them, safeties will start to crowd the line leaving 1v1 opportunities for the outstanding wideouts, it sets up the play action pass to give your QB an extra second to throw the ball, and it wears down the opponents defense etc.

The benefits of the screen game are to maybe get the defense to widen out which could open up running lanes but also inherently moves safeties over the top of your wrs. Also the screen game tends to speed up the pass rush, as you get the ball out faster, the defense compensates and starts getting off the ball faster to try disrupt the throwing lanes. And what plays are you setting up? The fake screen game?? Give me a break.

Bottom line, awesome day for the good guys! But before we get ahead of ourselves let's look in the mirror. We cant afford to throw away a quarter when it comes time to play those who shall not be named.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Simple.

Oct 7, 2018, 9:43 AM

Everybody sets up to defend the rush early in the game. The idea is that most teams will work the QB's arm into the playcalling with caution so an early mistake won't mess with his head. An early interception is a lot harder on a true freshman than an upper classman. Trevor has only been a starter for two games and hasn't complete one until yesterday. That's a big deal and our coaches respect that.

We threw the screens early for two reasons. We wanted to make sure the safeties and linebackers were paying attention other than the box and warm TL's arm up a bit, basically, getting the blood flowing and allowing the butterflies to scatter.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Simple.

Oct 7, 2018, 10:00 AM

I agree and understand the premise. But my comments weren't specific to yesterday. My 2 retorts are they had the same game plan with KB starting. And it shouldn't take 25% of the game to 'warm up'

In the first quarter so far we have scored 7pts or less in 5 of the 6 games. And that 6th game we scored 10.

Re: Simple.

Oct 7, 2018, 10:34 AM

Sorry, kiddo was crying just wanted to come back and complete the thought. Those who shall not be named haven't scored less than 14 in any first quarter and as many as 28

They scr!pt the first 9-10 plays

Oct 7, 2018, 9:45 AM

This is largely to see how the defense will play against certain formations and plays. That allows the offense to know what tendencies they can most easily exploit later. That isn’t to say they wouldn’t want to score but the objective early is not just to score. At least that is what Tajh said in an interview I heard.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They scr!pt the first 9-10 plays

Oct 7, 2018, 10:32 AM

I get that. I am simply challenging if throwing as many screens as we do is the best way to go about it

Yes, according to the Clemson Tigers coaching staff

Oct 7, 2018, 11:21 AM

Go Tigers AND Tiger Nation!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Si vis pacem, para bellum (if you want peace, prepare for war)
USMC 1980-83
-Camp Lejeune
-Beirut, Lebanon
SC National Guard 1983-2018

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic