Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Simmons, Muse?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 75
| visibility 1

Simmons, Muse?

Jan 11, 2019, 3:31 PM

Any word on their return?

Would be huge, huge gets for us.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Simmons, Muse?

Jan 11, 2019, 3:33 PM

Personally, I don’t see either one being ready to move on.

We'll see.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 11, 2019, 3:49 PM

Personally, I don’t see either one being ready to move on.

We'll see.

I wouldn't mind seeing Tanner Muse move on

That's dumb.***

Jan 11, 2019, 4:38 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 11, 2019, 5:06 PM [ in reply to Re: Simmons, Muse? ]

Muse is actually good at run protection but dose not have the speed to keep up with great WRs.
He will definitely be back and his leadership will be needed.
He will never play in the NFL

Jan 11, 2019, 6:27 PM

He is fast, runs around a 4.4 forty. I've seen 4.3 in previous years. Back when D Cain and Feaster was racing in a video there was a Spring or Preseason Tnet release I think he had ran a 4.33 or 4.39 back then.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll take that bet, what are you willing to lose?***

Jan 11, 2019, 6:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Simmons, Muse? ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You are out of your mind. A 220 lb safety with his speed

Jan 11, 2019, 7:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Simmons, Muse? ]

is coveted in the NFL.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 11, 2019, 9:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Simmons, Muse? ]

If what everyone says about his speed is accurate, it's his coverage skills that are lacking. In a pass happy NFL, that's a problem. But he's a good player for us now and perhaps he can improve his skills.

It takes more Than Speed!

Jan 11, 2019, 10:08 PM

http://draftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=1003213&draftyear=2020&genpos=SS

You have to have good technique and sometimes good instinct in space. It's not all that often straight line speed is going to be the required attribute. B/C if it's a go route as a safety you would be attacking it differently.
I think Muse and Simmons get drafted and have long NFL careers! I just don't think Muse future is at safety. Even if he stays at safety for us; in the NFL I don't think he will. Coach V will put in in the best position to help the team of course! I think i'm just very concerned about LB. Especially since I think Muse would be a day 1 type LB if he switched!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why don't you take some initiative and leave first?***

Jan 11, 2019, 6:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Simmons, Muse? ]

Muse is a good guy. He's not elite, but he's good. Let's

Jan 11, 2019, 7:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Simmons, Muse? ]

not trash a player

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jack A***

Jan 11, 2019, 8:54 PM [ in reply to Re: Simmons, Muse? ]

you need to move on ...

Jan 11, 2019, 9:13 PM [ in reply to Re: Simmons, Muse? ]

muse is a helluva player, .

Tiger23orange is that you?...***

Jan 12, 2019, 12:10 AM [ in reply to Re: Simmons, Muse? ]

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

sadly, being ready has nothing to do with it***

Jan 11, 2019, 5:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Simmons, Muse? ]

Jan 11, 2019, 3:45 PM

Nope, but agree that would be huge for us.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 11, 2019, 3:48 PM

Is today not the deadline for them to declare? I believe it is.

Jan 11, 2019, 4:03 PM

They have until Monday the 14th.

Jan 11, 2019, 4:31 PM

Muse played very well in the Monday game. A sign of things to come. Him coming back is important! I think.

Jan 11, 2019, 4:54 PM

Tanner is a huge physical specimen who continues to get better and better. Doubt that he has an NFL option at this point, but that could change with another year of experience.

Jan 11, 2019, 5:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Simmons, Muse? ]

Bama scored two tds Monday night. His man got both of them

Jan 11, 2019, 6:29 PM

I think Chad Smith had the TE in that goal line play .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Jan 11, 2019, 8:19 PM

Now that I am seeing the Megacast it looks like Smith or Wallace would have been the A/B options, Muse was close by Wallace on the opposite side that the play went to. Muse did get tripped up, but would have had to leave his responsibility to make a play on that TD.

Wrong.***

Jan 11, 2019, 7:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Simmons, Muse? ]

That's not correct***

Jan 11, 2019, 8:56 PM [ in reply to Re: Simmons, Muse? ]

Jan 11, 2019, 4:38 PM

Simmons has already announced he's staying

Jan 11, 2019, 4:54 PM

Good news.

Jan 11, 2019, 5:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Simmons, Muse? ]

When did he announce? That would be awesome. Is there a link?

Jan 11, 2019, 5:51 PM [ in reply to Re: Simmons, Muse? ]

That was K’Von Wallace.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Jan 11, 2019, 5:07 PM

Why would you be waiting on anything from Muse? Of coarse he’s coming back. He wouldn’t come close to getting drafted.

Jan 11, 2019, 5:12 PM

I love how some of you continue to slam Tanner Muse. Did he date your daughters or something? Steal your girlfriend? The guy gives 100% every play. Made a HUGE play Monday to keep TUA from getting a 4th down conversion. Some of you continue to bring up when he makes a mistake but rarely pat him on the back when plays well, and does play well most the time and will be a big time contributor next year. He may not be NFL material and he may not get drafted, but he is a good player for Clemson.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 11, 2019, 5:16 PM

Agree Fencebuster

Great play to stop qb

GO TIGERS

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 11, 2019, 5:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Simmons, Muse? ]

I just question if we are using him correctly. I love his angry hitting ability. Why safety and not LB?

Jan 11, 2019, 5:49 PM

Tanner is the hardest hitting DB we have.

Jan 11, 2019, 6:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Simmons, Muse? ]

Amen!! All he wants to do is stop the run and hit someone. LB would be a great fit for him. He is constantly getting burned at safety.

Jan 11, 2019, 5:55 PM [ in reply to Re: Simmons, Muse? ]

Love him, he does make plays and gives 100%. I think he could use another year, personally. He makes big plays but also gives big plays up in pass coverage. He is very aggressive in run support. Monday he bit on play action in both of Bama's TDs.

I am about to rewatch, but pretty sure 1 of the 2 was a RPO and would have been tough to lay off of at how close Bama was to our goalline. Maybe if Dex has there clogging the middle Tanner lays back a bit more?

Jan 11, 2019, 6:22 PM

Correction, 1st was a double move, was a weak play action and Judy got him on the double move.

You do realize we had a S man up on the Biletnikoff winner

Jan 11, 2019, 6:32 PM [ in reply to Re: Simmons, Muse? ]

right? Jeudy is going to win those

Re: You do realize we had a S man up on the Biletnikoff winner

Jan 11, 2019, 8:02 PM

I realize players don't make every play.

A mismatch is a mismatch for a reason...An elite WR beats a

Jan 11, 2019, 10:13 PM

S every time

No, people are ignoring that little tidbit***

Jan 11, 2019, 8:02 PM [ in reply to You do realize we had a S man up on the Biletnikoff winner ]

Re: You do realize we had a S man up on the Biletnikoff winner

Jan 12, 2019, 12:05 AM [ in reply to You do realize we had a S man up on the Biletnikoff winner ]

Jeudy will do the same thing to many NFL dbs in years to come. I have seen Muse get burnt other times tho but that is going to happen when you put a safety man to man with any teams top WR.

Jan 11, 2019, 9:15 PM [ in reply to Re: Simmons, Muse? ]

everything you say is so very true , but I think he will see the nfl one day ...

Jan 12, 2019, 12:02 AM [ in reply to Re: Simmons, Muse? ]

With his size and speed I believe he would but can improve coming back and getting better at some things. He has been burnt but we leave our safetys in tough man coverage so it is going to happen. He has made huge plays many times in his career. He needs to watch leading with his head but the dude can hit and would be a great run stuffing safety at the next level imo.

Jan 12, 2019, 12:02 AM [ in reply to Re: Simmons, Muse? ]

There were a select few on here that were saying the same things about Ben Boulware from the time he took over for Stephone until he graduated. All he did was win the Butkus Award for the nation's top LB in 2016. Ben wasn't the fastest guy in coverage, but he was rarely out of position and many of the catches to TE's that he gave up would have been given up by virtually any college LB.

Muse does give up big plays from time to time, but this year unlike last year there were far fewer. Also, let's not forget that Jerry Jeudy won the Biletnikoff award as the nation's top WR. How many SS would be able to cover him one on one?

Jan 12, 2019, 8:15 AM [ in reply to Re: Simmons, Muse? ]

Thx fencebuster - you said it better than I could. All I know is I like to watch Muse hit somebody. I literally chuckle when he punishes someone. I think "Muse, ya' gotta love him" and continue to chuckle.

Jan 11, 2019, 5:58 PM

Muse made one hell of a hit on Tua to stop him short of a first down on one of our goal line stands. Glad he'll be back.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 11, 2019, 6:05 PM

Yes he did!! Surely he could be a better LB than safety.

Why do you feel like you have a better handle on this than

Jan 11, 2019, 6:34 PM

Brent? Please, be specific

Are you one of the Stoops boys?***

Jan 11, 2019, 8:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Simmons, Muse? ]

Love Both! But, I agree

Jan 11, 2019, 6:23 PM

I think Muse could help us more at LB. Especially next year! He is fast enough, physical enough and tough enough to cover TE's. If the below is correct he is a high 4.5(6) speed player. So, if you have a 4.4 or lower vert going and can design the play to isolate him; you can exploit that! At 6'1 230 that's perfect LB size. And as has been stated: "he brings it when he tackles you"! Don't get me wrong; i'm not of the belief he doesn't know what he is doing back there. But, for his NFL future or hopes; a change in position would be great!

Simmons is a physical specimen that don't just grow on trees! His body size/speed combination will have him in the league alone i.m.o. He makes plays and is tough minded and persistent! Good attributes in the Not For Long!

Re: Love Both! But, I agree

Jan 11, 2019, 6:31 PM

Agreed. There's this narrative going around that he's slow. People get behind him because he makes bad decisions occasionally. He doesn't have elite speed for a safety, sure. But if we had more depth at safety we would have converted him to a LB 2 years ago. He's at safety because it's what the team needs.

4.4 is elite speed anywhere, especially at S

Jan 11, 2019, 8:04 PM

He's faster than most of our CB's

Re: 4.4 is elite speed anywhere, especially at S

Jan 11, 2019, 8:50 PM

striperfan See Below numbers.

Not saying it's true; but the time they give coming out of H.S. sometimes let's just say, "can't be verified"! I don't for one want him on the field every play because I like the way he play's; again don't get me wrong! But, I think he is a liability in vertical pass defense. He is an asset in run defense and quick pass game.
http://draftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=1003213&draftyear=2020&genpos=SS

Re: 4.4 is elite speed anywhere, especially at S

Jan 11, 2019, 9:05 PM

Oh, make no mistake, there are NFL packages for him. Let's hope he stays.

Pretty sure his times were at Clemson

Jan 11, 2019, 9:08 PM [ in reply to Re: 4.4 is elite speed anywhere, especially at S ]

regardless, even if he's 4.6, that's fast for a safety. Rated #12 means mid to late rounds and he's best off coming back, but that's a service, not the NFL. All our guys considering leaving are getting feedback from the league itself. Simmons is the most likely to test the waters, though unless he's projected day 1, I think he returns. He could blow up next year

Re: Pretty sure his times were at Clemson

Jan 11, 2019, 9:17 PM

striperfan Man believe me! I agree. BV agrees as he has said many times since coming to CU; i'll take experience "over johnny five star any day"!

Furthermore, I have defended 19 on some plays the past couple years when he "came off coverage" to make a tackle. I think he is an asset "on the field" just again in my opinion; not at safety! I think he has Luke Kuechly like side line to side line ability in the box and could be special. 4.6 is good for a safety; but as he projects to the NFL if that is indeed his 40 time(IDK b/c I had heard what you heard about the 4.4) can his technique beat a guy who runs a 4.5 and has fewer instances where he didn't come off coverage; where it was solely his job on a particular play and got beat?

Or he could be a Shaq Thompson or Thomas Davis type and get drafted as a safety and get converted into a LB. Our depth at safety will be much better next year; we are losing Kendal Joseph and Tre Lamar........we need someone who knows the defense in the middle to get everybody lined up is all I am saying!

No offense, but you don't think our now 2 time

Jan 11, 2019, 10:36 PM

National Champion DC knows where he fits best? They judged Simmons best for that role, and I'd say they got that right. Muse has the speed but is lacking in the hip action to cover one-on-one. That's his weakness. SAM, which is the position you're talking about, covers RB's, TE's and slot receivers one-on-one. Muse is best with a play in front of him. Hopefully he returns and becomes wiser in his reads. He's not bad there, just comes up on the run read a little quick sometimes. I don't blame him for the bust Monday night. Jeudy on him was a mismatch, as it would have been on most safeties.

Re: No offense, but you don't think our now 2 time

Jan 12, 2019, 12:06 AM

Actually BV is a 3 time national champion. He was the co-DC at OU when they won their natty back in 2000. Remember, OU only gave up 2 points to the high powered FSU offense that year, and none of that was on BV's defense.

How does our depth at S improve?***

Jan 11, 2019, 10:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Pretty sure his times were at Clemson ]

Re: Pretty sure his times were at Clemson

Jan 12, 2019, 12:08 AM [ in reply to Re: Pretty sure his times were at Clemson ]

Skalski, the Smiths, Mike Jones, Spector, Venables they all know the D. We are fine at LB dude. More than fine. Plus we have some amazing freshman coming in as well.

Muse does not have 4.4 speed. He's going to run a

Jan 12, 2019, 1:27 AM [ in reply to 4.4 is elite speed anywhere, especially at S ]

4.5x at the combine.

Re: Muse does not have 4.4 speed. He's going to run a

Jan 12, 2019, 9:58 AM

Google his 40 time. Most are in the 4.3s and I see one 4.56. The 4.56 is the most recent, not sure how each clocking was performed.

Here is a Tnet thread from the timeframe I was talking about earlier.

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/thread/Did-Tanner-Muse-actually-run-a-437-1706402

Doesnt have elite speed as a safety ? lmao....

Jan 11, 2019, 9:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Love Both! But, I agree ]

he got turned on a double move against judy and still recovered to be in position to make a life saving tackle and barely missed ...on straight line speed, he is one of the three or four fastest on the team , which has been verified by Dabo in the past...speed is one of his elite qualities.. I love tanner and his entire family .

Jan 11, 2019, 9:12 PM

I do think it was Chad Smith who should have been on the tight end on the second TD. I still like to remember Muse' interception return a couple of years ago. I think he'd do a great job on punt returns.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jan 12, 2019, 10:08 AM

Yeah the initial angle of my view showed him come up to support the run and Wallace was already so close it looked like Muse was in the middle by himself but he wasn't. Wallace is there and like you mentioned Smith has the edge, maybe the flat and deep or Wallace looks to be the next logical player to possibly have the TE on that play.

Could have been my vision Monday night. The Megacast replay I watched shows each team's view, side by side, and is clear as can be like that.

Jan 11, 2019, 10:23 PM

Both are fast and big hitters. I see Simmons as being slightly more versatile at present, but both are very talented. And both are a work in progress who have had some mental mistakes like all college ballers. AND BOTH ARE GETTING BETTER EVERY GAME AND HAVE NFL CHOPS. Hoping both come back with Kvon in 2019-20.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Simmons yes, please stay. Muse.... God no!!!

Jan 12, 2019, 12:05 AM

null

Message was edited by: clemsonfan2000c®

Re: Simmons yes, please stay. Muse.... God no!!!

Jan 12, 2019, 12:08 AM

Yeah, if we would just get rid of Muse, fire Robbie Caldwell, and upgrade our playcalling we could do something incredible like win a natty next year.....oh wait.......nevermind.

The guy blows coverages like crazy man. I guess we don’t

Jan 12, 2019, 12:12 AM

Watch the same games......

Re: The guy blows coverages like crazy man. I guess we don’t

Jan 12, 2019, 4:54 AM

Love to see you try to cover Jeudy on that play. That might be asking too much. The team went 15-0 and Tanner Muse played over 600 snaps, had 76 tackles, 2.5 tackles for loss, 2 sacks. I guess I'll go with BV's opinion over some internet couch coach. No offense of course.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 12, 2019, 7:41 AM [ in reply to The guy blows coverages like crazy man. I guess we don’t ]

Sometimes he gets beat in man but rarely does he blow his coverage.

Jan 12, 2019, 4:12 PM [ in reply to The guy blows coverages like crazy man. I guess we don’t ]

Getting beat by a fast receiver in man to man coverage is not the same as a blown assignment. He did have a propensity to blow assignments from time to time in 2017, but I'm not sure if he actually blew an assignment all season.

He did give up 3 or 4 TD's this year, but there aren't many strong safeties that don't give up big plays sometimes.

Jan 12, 2019, 8:24 AM

I'm not a football genius, but people complaining about Muse getting burned by the best WR on a team that was ranked as the GOAT college team, is beyond belief for me. You are just showing your football IQ is lacking when you do this. Maybe you complainers should preface your posts like I just did.

Jan 12, 2019, 10:10 AM

Because the pros is just like college.

Replies: 75
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic