Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Shuey vs Boulware
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

Shuey vs Boulware

Jan 21, 2016, 12:37 AM

Who would you rather have? Also, I'm not just comparing them because they're two white linebackers. It's just something that came up when comparing multiple linebackers at work.

I'm a Shuey guy all day. Less missed assignments, much more reliable tackler, still hit big, and not such a liability in coverage.

Thoughts?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll take the junkyard dog***

Jan 21, 2016, 12:42 AM

Any day and twice on sunday

Re: Shuey vs Boulware

Jan 21, 2016, 12:54 AM

Big Shuey fan, but I'll take a healthy Boulware

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Abolish Qualified Immunity

Jan 21, 2016, 1:03 AM

Loved Shuey and hated to see him go, but a healthy Tazzz is a ball hawk and lowers the boom on anybody that even appears to have the ball. Shuey was a great player for us, but I have to go with Ben (Bad intentions) Boulware.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 21, 2016, 3:04 AM

I think you may be miss using the term "ball hawk". Head hunter may be more appropriate, but it sounds like he's going for heads.

Anyway, do you truly think that Boulware is a better LB or do you just like his craziness better? Boulware doesn't lower the boom on a lot of people, I feel. Misses tons of fits, whiffs on lots of tackles (which allow for chunk plays in every game last year, he's very slow and can't cover anybody.

Shuey had more tackles than Boulware and could be dropped into coverage without being a huge liability. You do remember some Shuey highlight right? He hit pretty dang hard. He's the reason Braxton miller was scared to play QB anymore haha.

That's just my opinion, and I know some disagree, which is why I asked in the first place.

Jan 21, 2016, 6:10 AM

I think it's unfair of you to compare Jr year stats to Sr year stats. Boulware has had more tackles, tackles for a loss, sacks, and interceptions in each corresponding year to Shuey. Also Boulware has more tackles for a loss, sacks, and interceptions in 3 years than Shuey had in 4 years.

Jan 21, 2016, 6:33 AM [ in reply to Re: Shuey vs Boulware ]

Shuey was more of a technician. Bouleware probably plays in front of a better line.Met Shuey's dad at a game . He was surprised I knew so much about his son. I told him I followed recruiting a ton. With that said I would take Shuey.Bouleware is your Kevin Garnett, Shuey is Tim Duncan, not flashy but boy can he play. My 2cents.

Jan 21, 2016, 1:12 AM

Shuey

Jan 21, 2016, 1:28 AM

It's Shuey all day.

Jan 21, 2016, 1:32 AM

Shuey laid lumber. He single handily made Braxton Miller his #####. He hit that guy so much he was contemplating not going back into the game. Ben healthy is just as good but he is way more aggressive than Spencer hence why he missed fits a lot.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Boulware for sure. Shuey was was way too slow.

Jan 21, 2016, 3:25 AM

Boulware healthy is more explosive.

Too slow?

Jan 21, 2016, 4:31 AM

It's actually the opposite for me. When I watch the games I see Shuey as faster on the field and able to cover better in space. I definitely think Shuey had better natural instincts for the position, maybe that makes him look faster on the field to me.

Boulware will whiff horribly on a tackle or play a bad assignment in nearly every game. So when he's bad he might just look extra slow to me.

Re: Ttoo slow?

Jan 21, 2016, 4:38 AM

Shuey was the slowest LB I have ever personally witnessed. That's why he he was always doubted. Like you said though, he had amazing instincts. He made up for his slowness with his instincts.

Re: Too slow?

Jan 21, 2016, 4:48 AM

You sound confident. Maybe I'm just rewriting history in my head. Boulware looks so freakin slow when he's running around lost out there. If I just watched highlight of him connecting on all his insane hits, I'd probably think he could run a 4.3. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO THINK ANYMORE

Here is a link to Shuey's 40 times.

Jan 21, 2016, 5:04 AM

He was outrageously slow.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=90737&draftyear=2014&genpos=ILB

Re: Here is a link to Shuey's 40 times.

Jan 21, 2016, 5:14 AM

I seem to remember him being terrible in coverage.

When Boulware is healthy he's alot better. I'll say this Boulware is a gambler, boom or bust sometimes. Also 90% certain shuey had way less forced turnovers per season. Ben made alot of big plays and alot of plays with 1 arm, I think people are overlooking that. Also teams picked more on Goodson and Blanks this past season in the passing game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Here is a link to Shuey's 40 times.

Jan 21, 2016, 5:26 AM

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/spencer-shuey-1.html#all_defense

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/ben-boulware-1.html#all_defense

I forgot about this, was I the only one who felt like all of shueys tackles were after the offense had already gotten 6yds?

Take a look at tackles for loss and ints. Ben met most at or behind the LOS. Also remember Ben forcing at least 1 big fumble(FSU)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Understandable

Jan 21, 2016, 8:17 AM

BB is blitzing much more frequently than Shuey. The Shuebacca had an awful lot of tackles..

Over/under

Jan 21, 2016, 5:26 AM [ in reply to Here is a link to Shuey's 40 times. ]

O I've seen those terrible times.

BB at next years combine, over/under 4.8?

I think...

Jan 21, 2016, 5:31 AM

4.8 sounds about right. He is explosive though. Keith Adams ran a 4.8 at the combine too.

That's why I asked

Jan 21, 2016, 8:11 AM

4.8 seems about right, so I'm challenging you if you think he'll break it or he'll be slower. It's a tough question, but you could a ton money if you get it right.

Re: Over/under

Jan 21, 2016, 5:33 AM [ in reply to Over/under ]

I think similar times. Ben is just a play maker. 4.7 to 4.9 would be my guess. Ya know Willie McGuiness (spell check that lol) the former great patriot said he ran a 5 flat but instincts and film study were what made his career

null

Re: Too slow?

Jan 21, 2016, 7:13 AM [ in reply to Too slow? ]

Trying to choose between these two is like choosing which dynamite is better, the one in the blue box or the red box. Shuey slow?? Uh no....ask Orwin Smith from Ga. Tech (Youtube it baby-the play call makes it a classic)...ask Braxton Miller....DGAC what the 40 time shows. Boulware is slower, but that doesnt mean I would want to choose between them. Put them both back there and nobody gets away.

There really is no debating if he is slow. He ran a 4.91.

Jan 21, 2016, 7:21 AM

That is slow for a LB. When I watched him play he looked slow as well. The dude was slow and that's why he didn't have a pro career. Boulware will play in the NFL.

Re: There really is no debating if he is slow. He ran a 4.91.

Jan 21, 2016, 8:14 AM

What do you mean by "play" in the NFL. My guess is BB will make to a practice squad at best.
I don't like being so negative sounding on one of our guys. I love been Boulware. I just don't think he's an NFL caliber LB.

Re: There really is no debating if he is slow. He ran a 4.91.

Jan 21, 2016, 8:22 AM

I think he will have an NFL career even if it's the practice squad. He will have an NFL career of some sort. Time will tell what it is. Shuey didn't even have the option. I think Shuey is selling residential real estate in NC. I loved Shuey's instincts, but he didn't have the natural talent that Boulware has. He was just too slow. I agree though that Boulware at times was out of position, and then never happened with Shuey. There is more upside with Boulware though. Boulware will have a big year next year if he stays healthy.

That is a very hard question to answer

Jan 21, 2016, 6:41 AM

I love both guys! Spenser Shuey, he was an awesome Tiger and gave everything he had on the field. Ben Boulware is just as awesome and he too, gives everything he's got. The difference is Ben is way more emotional than Spenser. That can be both a blessing and a curse but I'd say Ben gets the edge but seriously, these 2 guys are among my favorite Tigers!

Jan 21, 2016, 9:14 AM
image.jpeg(112.2 K)

I knew Shuey would special the minute he made that safety against Georgia Tech. I watched Boulware's recruitment like a hawk. Love them both. And appreciate their different strengths. Not sure I can say one is better than other, but Shuey definitely captured my fan-heart.

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic