Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Should we be intentionally targeting short pitchers in recruiting efforts?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

Should we be intentionally targeting short pitchers in recruiting efforts?

Jun 4, 2015, 9:14 AM

Below is an excellent piece of research completed in 2010 by top notch analysts. The conclusion: "The data speaks for itself. Baseball organizations have been scouting, signing, and developing players based on a fallacious assumption. Shorter pitchers are just as effective and durable as taller pitchers. If a player has the ability to get drafted, then he should be drafted in the round that fits his talent." Since shorter pitchers are drafted in later rounds coming out of high school, they are more likely to honor their college commitments. They are also more likely to stay 4 yrs, because they are drafted so low out of college. David Berg (dominant UCLA reliever) was a perfect example in the 2014 draft. He was a Jr with 3rd round talent. He went in 17th round in 2014, so he decided to come back for his Sr year in 2015.
http://sabr.org/research/does-pitcher-s-height-matter

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You trying to save on feed ??***

Jun 4, 2015, 9:44 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Should we be intentionally targeting short pitchers in recruiting efforts?

Jun 4, 2015, 9:50 AM

I mostly agree with that research, and another good example is Tim Lincecum. He went in the 48th round after high school and in the 42nd round after his junior year at Washington. After his senior year, he was drafted in the first round.

Still using Lincecum as an example, I'm not sure I agree with the durablity findings, however. Lincecum threw in the high 90s when he first go to the big leagues and now barely reaches 90 at the age of 30.

Of course, we wouldn't care what happens to a pitcher at 30, and I do agree with the main premise of the research that short pitchers are undervalued.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the avg american male is ~5'9.5"? what is short? i think

Jun 4, 2015, 9:52 AM

some already feel the program is below average, might as well recruit that way, right?

;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do you have any idea how

Jun 4, 2015, 9:54 AM

strong the average American male is?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

yes.***

Jun 4, 2015, 9:55 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can the average Ameican male squat 185 lbs without

Jun 4, 2015, 9:57 AM

injuring his back?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

sure, but if he did get hurt, i imagine durability wood

Jun 4, 2015, 10:00 AM

immediately be brought into question.

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic