Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Should non alumni sing the Alma mater?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 70
| visibility 1

Should non alumni sing the Alma mater?

Oct 25, 2018, 11:24 AM

Alma mater defined is "the school, college, or university that one attended"

I'm not one to get bent out of shape over it, but maybe that's something that should be held sacred for those who attend or attended Clemson. Maybe extended to their kids and family.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If they know the words!!***

Oct 25, 2018, 11:25 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If they know the words!!***

Oct 25, 2018, 11:28 AM

It's a great song. As long as folks sing it from the heart, with respect, I don't see why not.

Oct 25, 2018, 11:39 AM [ in reply to If they know the words!!*** ]

I graduated in 83. I went to every home game and have been to many, many games (both home and away) since I graduated. I never did learn the words.

Oct 25, 2018, 12:00 PM

Here are the words:
CLEMSON ALMA MATER

Where the Blue Ridge yawns its greatness,
Where the Tigers play,
Here the sons of dear old Clemson
Reign supreme alway.

CHORUS:
Dear old Clemson we will triumph,
And with all our might,
That the Tiger's roar may echo
O'er the mountain height.

You will be tested on this during the next home game. :)

Oct 25, 2018, 12:07 PM

Isn't there a "woohoo" in there somewhere?

Are you also referring to the majority of the players?

Oct 25, 2018, 11:27 AM

TIA

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Hey moran, the players are alumni!***

Oct 25, 2018, 11:28 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Only the graduate student players, moran.***

Oct 25, 2018, 11:37 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

Re: Only the graduate student players, moran.***

Oct 25, 2018, 11:52 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

The players attend Clemson

Oct 25, 2018, 11:29 AM [ in reply to Are you also referring to the majority of the players? ]

hth

So did Swag

Oct 25, 2018, 11:31 AM

YWIA

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

swag can sing the Alma mater***

Oct 25, 2018, 11:38 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Swag does whatever he wants...

Oct 25, 2018, 11:39 AM

whenever he wants.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Swag does whatever he wants... he can Sing-Sing!***

Oct 25, 2018, 11:43 AM

We don't rap 'where the blue ridge yawns'.

Oct 25, 2018, 11:40 AM [ in reply to swag can sing the Alma mater*** ]

HTH in advance

if any1 can, swag can..he's your man with the pan

Oct 25, 2018, 11:46 AM

full of spam in japan

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

I was drunk the day my mom got out of prison.***

Oct 25, 2018, 12:52 PM [ in reply to swag can sing the Alma mater*** ]

You're not an alumnus unless you GRADUATE..........

Oct 25, 2018, 12:02 PM [ in reply to The players attend Clemson ]

just attending a school isn't enough - you have to receive a diploma.

This is one of those subjects not worth splitting hairs over. If somebody sincerely supports Clemson then them singing our Alma Mater is okay by me.

The one thing I can think of is the ring - that's something I was never want to see a non-graduate wearing. I worked my ### off to earn and wear mine. A ring is only for a graduate.

You can get a ring if you have 90 or more credit hours.

Oct 25, 2018, 12:47 PM

At least that’s how it used to be. I know someone that is considered an official alumnus by the University and wears their ring even though he transferred to med school before graduating. Had around 100 hours.

Most people get their ring before graduating.

I sang it as a student....took four years before I could...

Oct 25, 2018, 11:29 AM

...call myself Alumnus.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I sang it as a student....took four years before I could...

Oct 25, 2018, 11:33 AM

I said those who attend or attended. If you attend Clemson, you are technically a Clemson alumnus. You do not have to graduate.

Uh....wrong!***

Not wrong.

Oct 25, 2018, 11:44 AM

You're an alum if you attend for a semester.

You can also get a ring without graduating.

oh boy...

Oct 25, 2018, 11:50 AM

a·lum·nus
/??l?mn?s/Submit
noun
a graduate or former student, especially a male one, of a particular school, college, or university.

Graduate or FORMER student....not an active student. And, the ring thing is only after so many hours of work...not just one semester then sign me up for a ring.

At Clemson, you are an alumnus

Oct 25, 2018, 12:07 PM

if you simply attend.

Right or wrong, that's how we define it.

I believe there is a "number of semesters attended"

Oct 25, 2018, 12:11 PM

requirement. I would have to dig up my History of Clemson class notes though. I think they are in my attic, so we will just have to go with whatever you say because I'm not goin up there...

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who is "WE"?

Oct 25, 2018, 12:27 PM [ in reply to At Clemson, you are an alumnus ]

You? If you want to change all the dictionary definitions I have no problem. For the Freshman on his first day attending class to declare he's an alumnus is redonkulous. And, he ain't gonna get a ring until he's a Junior by semester hours. Jus' sayin'.

Re: Who is "WE"?

Oct 25, 2018, 12:32 PM

Clemson calls those who attended for a semester alumni.

Do you have a reference so that I may...

Oct 25, 2018, 12:41 PM

...get on board? Active students are not alums...they are students.

Re: Do you have a reference so that I may...

Oct 25, 2018, 1:09 PM

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/message/Not-wrong-24328804

Found that link. Will look for another, shortly.

The last guideline I remember is that if you have 90 or more

Oct 25, 2018, 12:43 PM [ in reply to At Clemson, you are an alumnus ]

credit hours you are considered an alumnus. May have changed.

Re: Not wrong.

Oct 25, 2018, 11:50 AM [ in reply to Not wrong. ]

As a dude who only made it four semesters before falling victim to class attendance failure, I've always wrestled with whether I really count as "alumni" or not, even though I know the technical definition said you just have to have attended as a student. Maybe it's just me?

Congrats, you count as alumni!***

Feb 7, 2022, 8:25 AM

^^^^coot alumni^^^^

Oct 25, 2018, 11:59 AM

I find it's the non-alumni who can't figure out

Oct 25, 2018, 11:29 AM

when to raise their hand during the alma mater. So my answer is no, they should not be allowed to sing it.

How many in this video screwed up?

Oct 25, 2018, 11:35 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBbSutvDE7o

I'm OK with it as long as the say "alway" and not "always"***

Oct 25, 2018, 11:52 AM [ in reply to I find it's the non-alumni who can't figure out ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Re: I find it's the non-alumni who can't figure out

Oct 25, 2018, 11:58 AM [ in reply to I find it's the non-alumni who can't figure out ]

I was always told they could sing but not to raise their hand

I don't sing it...

Oct 25, 2018, 11:32 AM

because I can't remember all the words.

Maybe if we changed the Alma Mater to "Cheeseburger in Paradise" or "Love Shack" more people could remember it?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

If you smoke pot and sing the Alma mater...

Can you call yourself and alum-high?

No. Did not attend but no one should sing another schools

Oct 25, 2018, 11:41 AM

Alma Mater if they did not attend. To be quite frank Clemson's alma mater doesn't mean anything to me and I've never recited it. On that same note I would be very annoyed if someone sang my school's alma mater that did not attend #stolenvalor

Re: No. Did not attend but no one should sing another schools

Oct 25, 2018, 12:23 PM

So Dabo can't sing it?

Agree

Oct 25, 2018, 12:39 PM [ in reply to No. Did not attend but no one should sing another schools ]

I didn't go to Clemson, much less graduate from Clemson. I'm a Charleston Southern alum. So, I don't participate other than to stand respectfully.

We non-Clemson-alumni have our own song where we artfully inserted 'woohoo' into the middle of it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As an alumnus, I'm ok with anyone singing it IF

Oct 25, 2018, 11:41 AM

they put their hand up at the right time. Too many jack wagons put their hand up too early. And the thumb should be tucked to signify the holding of rat cap (right?) or military hat.

But really, if you are a part of the Clemson family I am ok with you singing the Alma Mater.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Instead of the "rat cap" reason....easier to tell 'em that..

Oct 25, 2018, 11:53 AM

...tigers have four toes not five.

As long as they also woo hoo***

Oct 25, 2018, 11:42 AM

As long as they also woo hoo***

Oct 25, 2018, 11:42 AM

Re: Should non alumni sing the Alma mater?

Yes and wimmens can sing it too although they are thankfully not "sons".

Where the Blue Ridge yawns its greatness; Where the Tigers play; Here the sons of dear Old Clemson, Reign supreme alway.

Dear Old Clemson, we will triumph And with all our might That the Tiger’s roar may echo O’er the mountain height.

("alway"? Really, I thought it was "always"... that Clemson Univ. degree and 2 years in Tiger Band... I am ashamed.)

As a non alumni, no. Been a tiger fan since 4 and many family members are alumni including my father but certain things are reserved for those that attended the school. Singing the Alma mater is one of them.

It would be awkward for me to attend a UNC-Duke game

Oct 25, 2018, 11:47 AM

for example and sing the Duke Alma mater just because I was in Cameron Indoor with a bunch of other Duke fans.

I think I would just stand there, respectively.

Oct 25, 2018, 11:45 AM

Anyone can sing the Alma Mater. It is a beautiful composition. The words and music well thought out and fitting. Dabo sang the Alma Mater every game and that was before his honorary Alum Degree. If you know the words and respect what it is all about then sing....We are FAMILY.

I sing them in my head, but not out loud.

Oct 25, 2018, 11:48 AM

I have some slight consideration for my neighbors.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes.

Oct 25, 2018, 11:57 AM

But only if they are students.

Proper courtesy is to stand respectfully at attention while students and alumni sing.

This goes for any school.

"Stalwart universities—Harvard, Princeton, Yale—most certainly offer status. The Citadel offers character. "

ALL Clemson Tiger fans should sing it!

Because WE ARE FAMILY, thick and thin.

Only if they know when to extend their arm

Don't do it on "echo". Do it on "o'er". Please.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 25, 2018, 12:01 PM

Respectfully,absolutely.

I was Iptay member for 25 years, season ticket holder as well. I’m unable to attend games due to family health situation. I believe I am as loyal to Clemson University as anyone. Clemson’s Alma Mater is an emotional song for me. That question sounds like an elitist attitude similar to what si hear from Columbia, SC. Some Clemson fans who never attended are More loyal than some graduates. I have 10 plus family members who attend games now. Two grandchildren currently entolled . A son and 2 grandchildren who are Clemson grads.

Great discussion question, obvious answer for me

Oct 25, 2018, 12:09 PM

I'm probably a little weird about that. Personally, if I was a fan of several schools, I would only sing the alma mater at the school that I went to. I would, however, stand in respect during their song, I would personally consider that an honor that I have not deserved except at MY school. That being said, I have no problem with anyone that chooses to sing it. That is MY time and that is all I am interested in. Even while watching on TV, if they show the crowd singing the song, I sing along. :) - I said I'm a little weird.

But what CLEMSON student has never questioned that "alway" thing???? Really???? I know it, but I never understood it.

Oct 25, 2018, 12:10 PM

They arent real fans so no...

My dad tried to sing it once and I told him to shut the hell up and chopped him in the throat.

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Oct 25, 2018, 12:16 PM

If they want to sing, let them sing. Many faculty and staff did not graduate from Clemson but are true Tiger fans. An example: my wife was a graduate of the University of Florida and was on the staff at Clemson. She was a "die-hard" Tiger fan that bled orange, probably moreso than many Clemson graduates. I believe anyone who feels a loyalty to Clemson and proudly sings the Alma Mater, whether a grad or non-grad, should be included as "one of us".

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 25, 2018, 12:23 PM

No. They aught to replace it with a "fans for the tigers" song. Many of the great Iptay members that support the team so well never attended Clemson except for sports. They aught to not be dissed by alumni, some of which think they are better than us.

Are you talking about the Alba Mata?

Oct 25, 2018, 12:24 PM

I dug deep for that. I am not an alum, and I never sing along. I don't really care if other non-alums do, but even as a loyal, life-long Clemson fan, I don't feel right doing it. It is a beuatiful, moving, and inspiring song, but I feel the alma mater song is specifically for people that actually have Clemson as their alma mater.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

How do you feel about this?

Oct 25, 2018, 12:34 PM

Eh? What's this all aboot? Canuks you say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHSaHRd4Q48

Oct 25, 2018, 12:31 PM

I'm a life long Clemson Tiger...father and uncle are Clemson graduates....I've attended more Clemson games (I'm 2-0 in person at NC games) than many a Clemson grad has or ever will have attended. When I visited The Citadel in 1987, I knew that was my school and that Clemson would always be my team. If you don't play football at the school that you attend, you are allowed to go there for the academics and not the football program. BUT, there are some things that Clemson graduates can do that a non-alum fan should not:
Sing the alma mater (but don't take a knee)
Shake the hand ring thingy at the end of the song
Buy a SC license plate with the Paw
And NEVER put an Alumni sticker on your car or anywhere for that matter (I've seen this done before by non graduates)

Am I missing anything? And not related to this subject, but DON'T wear a jersey if you are past the 8th grade. This isn't the NFL.
There are a LOT of Clemson fans that got their four year degree from another school besides Clemson and they are good people. A life longer can (not always) have more ties and passion to an athletic program versus the guy from New Jersey that grew into a fan while a student.

Go Tigers!

Oct 25, 2018, 12:41 PM

The point of an Alma mater is to endear people to school and generate support. Alumni, students, other people, etc. Doesn't matter.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 25, 2018, 12:51 PM

I for one am not an alumnus or former student, and its my choice, but I dont sing it out of respect for those that did, and I dont raise my hand because I dont think its my place, BUT I support the tigers and have for 50+ years.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 25, 2018, 12:51 PM

Honestly, I’ve always felt a little out of place when everyone would sing the Alma mater, only because I graduated from CCU. Having said that, I grew up always dreaming of playing football and going to Clemson, so hopefully I can share that same dream with my kids and I would have no problem with them participating in that tradition.

Message was edited by: coastaltiger33

Oct 25, 2018, 12:59 PM

Non alumni can dance and tell a joke.

Oct 25, 2018, 1:10 PM

What, you want everyone to show their school ID's?

I don’t have a problem with it as long as they are

Oct 25, 2018, 1:17 PM

respectful. Personally I would never sing the Alma Mater of a school that I never attended but I know some of our fans are ever loyal and feel like alumni.

I sing it and I'm not an alum...***

Oct 25, 2018, 4:19 PM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 70
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic