Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Should Tajh #10 be retired?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 96
| visibility 1

Should Tajh #10 be retired?

Dec 4, 2013, 8:53 AM

This is a question that has come up in my brain lately, wondering if CU will retire #10. He broke more records than CJ but never beat SC.

I honestly can't make up my mind on how I feel about it.

What's your opinion?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would say yes because of his whole person***

Dec 4, 2013, 8:54 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

not a chance....how much fun would SC fans make of that

Dec 4, 2013, 8:54 AM

you've got a guy in your ROH or with a retired number that could never beat us....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^these two replies sum up my thoughts exactly haha

Dec 4, 2013, 8:56 AM

Exactly why I'm torn.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ^these two replies sum up my thoughts exactly haha

Dec 4, 2013, 8:57 AM

then you're not torn. you have answered yourself

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 4, 2013, 8:59 AM

Did you read the two replies? They're contradictory

Dec 4, 2013, 9:02 AM

I thought you meant 72's

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 4, 2013, 9:03 AM

oh gotcha. I should have clarified.

Reading this bored the past few days,

Dec 4, 2013, 9:24 AM [ in reply to not a chance....how much fun would SC fans make of that ]

I can say with complete confidence that the University of South Carolina and their fans have succeeded in seriously "getting inside the heads" of the Tigernet fan base.

Why should you care what the hell they think? Do you now require their approval for everything Clemson does?

I'm just thankful you bunch of rocket scientists don't make any actual decisions involving the University.

There will be no follow-up posts, because the facts speak for themselves.

Let the name calling commence...sigh.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

no name calling here

Dec 4, 2013, 9:34 AM

simply meant you can't be an all time great at Clemson if you've never beat your rival.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

coooooooooot

Dec 4, 2013, 2:24 PM [ in reply to Reading this bored the past few days, ]

;)

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2006_nit_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're friends. You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I get in my boat and save your retarded a$$.

Good post

Dec 4, 2013, 9:26 PM [ in reply to Reading this bored the past few days, ]

+1

Big George never scored in Clemson...

Dec 4, 2013, 9:40 AM [ in reply to not a chance....how much fun would SC fans make of that ]

doesn't take away from his Heisman one bit.

Retire whatever numbers that are important to the school.

Re: Big George never scored in Clemson...

Dec 4, 2013, 11:17 PM

George had 100 yard games and wins. RB's usually are judged on yards rushing not TD's.

QB's right or wrong are judged on wins and losses.

Tahj has been a great QB for you guys and has a bunch of wins. Retiring his number might make some sense.

Re: Big George never scored in Clemson...

Dec 4, 2013, 11:32 PM

RBs aren't judged on TDs??? Come again?

WHY are some people so obsessed with what UCS fans think????

Dec 4, 2013, 5:28 PM [ in reply to not a chance....how much fun would SC fans make of that ]

They are irrelevant to most Clemson fans and definately shouldn't be ANY factor in what Clemson does or doesn't do. Stupid to base any decision on what coot fans might thing or forbid-----say!!!!!!!!!!

Herschel Walker

Dec 5, 2013, 9:32 AM [ in reply to not a chance....how much fun would SC fans make of that ]

got his number retired and he never scored a touchdown against us.

only a handful of guys who should have their numbers

retired....

Fuller
McFadden
Perry
Tuttle
Kinard

Jeff Davis*

Dec 4, 2013, 9:06 AM

Nm

obviously....my mistake***

Dec 4, 2013, 9:24 AM

and CJ***

Dec 4, 2013, 9:23 AM [ in reply to only a handful of guys who should have their numbers ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

nope. never was best RB on his own team.

Dec 4, 2013, 9:25 AM

nm

Uhhh...you do realize his number 28 was retired...

Dec 4, 2013, 9:29 AM

on 10/16/2010

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yep - and it was a mistake. said it then

Dec 4, 2013, 9:31 AM

my guess is that Dabo promised him that to get him back on campus. AE and JD were better RBs. I stand by that.

Re: yep - and it was a mistake. said it then

Dec 4, 2013, 9:45 AM

AE and JD may have been better "traditional RB's".

CJ Spiller was head and shoulders a better all around player. He's the best player I've seen play in a Clemson uniform in my lifetime, regardless of position or Offense/Defense. The impact he made on each game was incredible. His number deserves to be retired, he deserves to be in the ROH, and to say he had to be promised something to get back on campus is one of the dumbest comments I've ever read. He comes back all the time, his love for Clemson University rivals each and every person on this message board or anywhere else.

LOL...whatever helps you sleep at night princess.***

Dec 4, 2013, 9:49 AM [ in reply to yep - and it was a mistake. said it then ]

I'm pretty torn on this...

Dec 4, 2013, 10:10 AM

My first thought was no, he shouldn't. 0-3 against SCar being the biggest issue I have with his number being retired. Now, that's a glaring issue, but it's just one big issue. If you look at the whole body of work, Tajh has really had a heck of a career. The more I think about it, the more deserving I think he is:

PROS
- QB of first ACC title team of Clemson in 20 years
- Three 10-win seasons (I'm the first one to say 10 wins doesn't mean what it used to-- and it doesn't-- but 10-4, 11-2, and 10-3/11-2 is very impressive.) He could finish his career with a 32-8 record as a 3-year starter (.800). That is pretty remarkable for this program.
- He re-wrote the record book for QBs at Clemson. Yes, I know, it's largely thanks to the system, but Tajh is still the one that has to make the throws and run for the 1st downs.
- Toughness. Tajh sacrificed his body more times than I can count. This guy NEVER slid. Ever. Took as many hits as a RB. You have to love that in your QB. He left it all on the field.
- Off-the-field. Tajh is one of the good guys and has been a great ambassador for this program. He's a guy Clemson fans can be proud of.
- LSU win. One of the all-time great performances in Clemson history.
- Georgia win. I believe Tajh snapped a 6-game losing streak against the Bulldogs. Another gutsy performance.
- 2-1 vs. Georgia Tech
- Consistency. The last time Tajh Boyd lost a game in which Clemson was the favorite was NC State. That was more than two years ago. Think about that and think about how many games this program lost (that they shouldn't have) before Tajh took over. He won the games we were supposed to win and that counts for a lot, especially here, especially after Hatfield, West, Bowden, and the 2010 campaign.

CONS
- 0-3 vs. SCar. That hurts a lot, obviously.
- 1-2 vs. FSU
- Orange Bowl vs. WVU. Not all on him, obviously, but he was on the field during 70-33. Most college football fans and media will remember that game more than they will remember 0-3 vs. SCar.
- "Just" one ACC title. Yes, he won our first one in 20 years, but he might have had enough talent around him to win at least one more.
- Body language. This is a small thing, but something that I think bothers a lot of the fanbase: When the going got tough sometimes, Tajh would hang his head. He sometimes shied away from being the leader the team needed. His body language would say it all, and I expected more from our QB, especially his Senior year.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and Boyd

Dec 4, 2013, 9:28 PM [ in reply to only a handful of guys who should have their numbers ]

great ambassador for the program through our best string of seasons since the 80's.

Not to mention the school and CONFERENCE records he holds

The losses to SC hurt, but don't forget big wins over Auburn, Va Tech, LSU, UGA

Re: Should Tajh #10 be retired?

It wont be because we dont do that anymore. So should is irrelvant. retire "his" jersey? fine. have future 10's have a patch w his name like Mich. does- also fine.

retiring the number limits you (we already have guys sharing numbers (which is nonsense to me). why take more numbers out of circulation? it is just a needless complication

When did we stop doing it? Never heard that.

No.***

null

Nice opinion...***

he's a man of few words....***

Dec 4, 2013, 8:58 AM

unless dsp is around

Dec 4, 2013, 9:00 AM

then he's just a flirt.

don't be hatin.***

Dec 4, 2013, 9:01 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He only KNOWS a few words hth***

Dec 4, 2013, 9:01 AM [ in reply to he's a man of few words....*** ]

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

no

Dec 4, 2013, 9:00 AM [ in reply to Nice opinion...*** ]

is a perfectly good answer.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sorry, no because any above-average QB in a system like

Dec 4, 2013, 9:05 AM [ in reply to Nice opinion...*** ]

this can put up Tecmo Bowl numbers.

null

also against far inferior competition in most cases***

Dec 4, 2013, 9:07 AM

No

What will Ben Boulware do?!

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

get upset then take it out on opposing offenses?

Dec 4, 2013, 9:00 AM

i'm just spit ballin here of course.

You are good at spit balling

at least that's what lbu said.

must

Dec 4, 2013, 9:04 AM

fight

urge

for

knee

jerk

response...

d@mn

ewe

crump

No..the only reason he beat Charlie Whitehearst's records was because of the number of plays run in a new offensive system.CW was the last QB that had a great senior year at CU..

He broke Phillip Rivers' records in 1 less year. Can't deny that.

Dec 4, 2013, 9:04 AM [ in reply to Re: Should Tajh #10 be retired? ]

Surely, you jest.

uh do you remember Charlies Junior year

Dec 4, 2013, 5:09 PM [ in reply to Re: Should Tajh #10 be retired? ]

he threw 7 TD passes compared to 17 INTs, also Tajh has less passing attempts than Whitehurst. Don't get me wrong I really liked Charlie but Tajh is on a whole other level than him

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

No......#6 should be retired before #10

Whitehurst 4-0
Boyd 0-3

bingo***

So the measure of our program's success is our record

Dec 4, 2013, 9:29 PM [ in reply to No......#6 should be retired before #10 ]

vs the coots?

Gee....sounds cootish to me

NO WAY. not a big fan of retiring numbers to begin with, but

his overall legacy is not deserving. Sure he has alot of records, but overall accomplishments that Clemson fans really care about do not outrank numerous players from the past. In addition, retiring the number of a guy who never beat the chickens would be an eternal source of pride for them.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I say we retire the number 5...

In honor of Dabo's record breaking performance.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ouch......***

Re: I say we retire the number 5...

Dec 4, 2013, 9:04 AM [ in reply to I say we retire the number 5... ]

someone is sending a message here folks. ;)

i like it, but maybe we should make him wear it instead?***

Dec 4, 2013, 9:12 AM [ in reply to I say we retire the number 5... ]

Re: I say we retire the number 5...

Dec 4, 2013, 9:15 AM [ in reply to I say we retire the number 5... ]

NAH I AINT GONE SITE HERE AND HAVE YOU TALKIN BAD ABOUT MY COACH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, not unless he gets into our ROH......

Dec 4, 2013, 9:08 AM

IMO, any player who gets into the ROH should have his number retired.

No..not now, until a possible HOF honor.

Dec 4, 2013, 9:18 AM

GoTiGERS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

having 85 schollies + walkons makes it difficult

Dec 4, 2013, 9:17 AM

to retire numbers in football, as you need as many numbers available to wear as possible.

For Chad Jasmin ?

Dec 4, 2013, 9:17 AM

I will give this some thought

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

nope. and 28 shouldn't have been either.

Dec 4, 2013, 9:19 AM

he never was the best RB on the team. great athlete. but AE and JD were better RB.

I could agree with you but than we'd both be wrong.***

Dec 4, 2013, 9:31 AM

Just another Dabo knee jerk emotion.....

Dec 4, 2013, 9:35 AM

he needs to tone it down. we not gonna have any numbers left.

he was the best player, perhaps the best ever.***

Dec 4, 2013, 9:36 AM [ in reply to nope. and 28 shouldn't have been either. ]

Tough one. He did win our first ACC title in 20

Dec 4, 2013, 9:26 AM

years. Also brought relevance and excitement to Clemson that really hadn't been here since the '80's. But, 0-4 vs the Coots is a big deterrent from retiring his number. If he gets his number retired, Nuk should definitely get his retired. Tajh owes a lot to Nuk

Dec 4, 2013, 9:47 AM

If y'all don't we may. J/K, I know my opinion on this matter is meaningless to you guy's, but I think he was a great QB for you guy's, except when he played us. Imho he let our pressure get in his head.

#1 problem and not just y'all. A lethal combination of head

Dec 4, 2013, 10:39 PM

games and bad play calling kills.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 4, 2013, 10:12 AM

It should be burned in effigy

Dec 4, 2013, 10:14 AM

Yes... at Williams-Brice.

No one's jersey should be retired that couldn't beat USuCk.

Dec 4, 2013, 10:15 AM

Period.

Re: No one's jersey should be retired that couldn't beat USuCk.

Dec 4, 2013, 10:20 AM

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If He Wins a BCS Bowl against Bama then Yes....

Dec 4, 2013, 2:29 PM

Otherwise No....

If Tajh has a game like the CFB last and wins the game over Alabama...I have no problem with that...

Otherwise I would have to say no....Not becasue I don't think the world of his contribution...just not quite enough with not ever beating the Coots and the WVU Orange Bowl

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

Not now.

Dec 4, 2013, 2:34 PM

JW is likely to break Tajh's records in a few years if he isn't in prison.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, he never beat the coots.***

Dec 4, 2013, 2:35 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A Little late to Retire TB and put Stoudt in don't ya think?***

Dec 4, 2013, 3:03 PM

Dec 4, 2013, 3:04 PM

Retire the Jersey but keep the number

Dec 7, 2021, 11:52 AM

I'm for hanging their jersey in a place of honor but not retiring the number.

I am a "King" Richard Petty fan, I didn't like it the year that they chose to run the #44 and not the #43.

I think the RCR and Earnhardt fans are really going to like having the #3 back on the track in 2014 with Austin Dillon driving the car.

No.***

Dec 4, 2013, 4:52 PM

Re: No.***

Dec 4, 2013, 4:55 PM

No*** why would you even consider it..you must live in Clemson to even ask that question...

He's one of the greatest QBs to play in the ACC....***

Dec 4, 2013, 5:02 PM

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

No numbers should be retired. ******

Dec 4, 2013, 5:44 PM

null

IMO, we should definitely give it a few

Dec 4, 2013, 5:44 PM

years before that decision is made. Tajh has been a great player and possibly an even better ambassador and leader for this university and team. However, my reasoning behind why we should wait, is to see what kind of numbers Kelly or Watson puts up in CCM's system (I hope CCM stays around long enough for us to find out). Regardless of how good he may turn out to be, Stoudt doesn't have enough eligibility left to be able to put up numbers worthy of retiring his number. Waiting a few years would give everyone a better understanding of just how good/great of a QB Tajh really was/is, as opposed to learning his numbers were inflated simply due to the system he plays in.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No way***

Dec 4, 2013, 5:52 PM

Re: No way***

Dec 4, 2013, 9:07 PM

Consideration for theQB that owns 90% of every record at CU should be given, Taj broke and owns more records than any former player in history.

Absolutely. Hang it in Williams-Brice. *****

Dec 4, 2013, 9:25 PM

Nm

YES***

Dec 4, 2013, 9:26 PM

Dec 4, 2013, 10:29 PM

Love the guy, he never beat USuCk. No. No way.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

Dec 4, 2013, 10:35 PM

WHEN ARE YOU PEOPLE GOING TO SEE THAT HE IS NOT GOOD? YOU PEOPLE ARE CRAZY! HOW MANY INTERCEPTIONS AND FUMBLES DID THIS GUY HAVE IN HIS CAREER? HE IS A HORRIBLE QB AND I AM HAPPY HE IS GONE. COME ON PEOPLE, WHEN WILL YOU REALIZE IT. IF WE ACTUALLY HAD A DECENT QB WE WOULDN'T HAVE GOTTEN BLOWN OUT TWICE THIS YEAR AND WOULDN'T HAVE HAD TO FIGHT AS HARD AS WE HAVE IN SOME GAMES.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 4, 2013, 10:44 PM

no

No doubt. YES

Dec 4, 2013, 10:45 PM

Name a better CU qb. One that has done more for the university. I'll save you the time. There's not one.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you can't retire a QB # that never beat the coots

Dec 4, 2013, 10:45 PM

good grief

Ben Boulware votes NO!!!! *****

Dec 5, 2013, 8:34 AM

Are you kidding?

Dec 5, 2013, 9:40 AM

1-2 vs FSU, 0-3 vs SC, 1-2 more than likely 2 if we play Bama. He made a living off of beating up inferior opponents. No way Jose.

Dec 5, 2013, 10:36 AM

Better yet, let retire Swinny

Dec 5, 2013, 12:27 PM

No. Retiring jerseys in dangerous IMHO. What if we have a QB that wins the Heisman? What if we have a RB that rushes for 2,000 yds 4 straight years? What if we had an AJ McCarron that won back to back NC? #10 being retired would look pretty silly at that point. And unfortunately for QB's greatness is usually defined by the number of Championships. For Tahj, although he is a good QB and a good person, those numbers aren't very good.

yes

Dec 5, 2013, 12:55 PM

nm

Dec 5, 2013, 1:13 PM

HE DOUBLE LL NO

Replies: 96
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive