Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: WATCH: Clemson's epic tribute video for Dabo Swinney
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

FB Update: WATCH: Clemson's epic tribute video for Dabo Swinney

Jan 13, 2017, 4:37 PM

WATCH: Clemson's epic tribute video for Dabo Swinney

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Short But Sweet...

Jan 13, 2017, 4:41 PM

As in NO!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Short But Sweet...

Jan 13, 2017, 4:43 PM

Yes, short and sweet but No!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

hee hee hee***

Jan 13, 2017, 4:47 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Like a Boss

Jan 13, 2017, 4:48 PM

you tell'em Dabo

Re: FB Update: WATCH: Clemson's epic tribute video for Dabo Swinney

Jan 13, 2017, 5:21 PM

Never get tired of watching this. Says it all in 17 seconds

David Hood probably hates my guts, but he

Jan 13, 2017, 5:51 PM

was one of the doubters when Dabo was hired. Wish to goodness I could go back and post that article. I have called him out on it 2-3x, but never get acknowledgment that he was wrong. I'd like to see 1 media person acknowledge and own that they were wrong. If DH would do that, I'd have a lot more respect for him making his career on the back of a coach he once called a mistake.

Well. Post a link.***

Jan 13, 2017, 6:10 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The most negative thing I see him say about Dabo

Jan 13, 2017, 6:13 PM [ in reply to David Hood probably hates my guts, but he ]

admittedly, just a quick search, turns up this:
http://www.tigernet.com/story/football/Commentary-Dabo-Not-Right-Fit-Tigers-7601

Where he more criticizes the fanbase than the coach.

Even after the bowl game debacle which will not be named, he isn't calling for Dabo's head or anything.

http://www.tigernet.com/story/football/David-Hood-Where-Clemson-10287&nextbox=1

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The most negative thing I see him say about Dabo

Jan 13, 2017, 6:53 PM

Oooooo I bet there are some Tiger fans out there holding their heads low in shame. Lots of responses were calling for someone other than Dabo to take the job.

Let not your hearts be troubled doubters from the past. It all worked out just as it was supposed to. As Dabo so eloquently said, "Only God can do this".

What a great time to reflect on how lucky we truly are to have this awesome mentor running this program!

Jan 13, 2017, 9:44 PM [ in reply to The most negative thing I see him say about Dabo ]

Thanks, TiVo. Actually, these are very thoughtful articles about the situation. Nothing negative to see here...keep moving.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All for one and one for all.

Jan 15, 2017, 10:58 AM [ in reply to The most negative thing I see him say about Dabo ]

Thanks for finding that link and posting it. Like I said, David Hood didn't want him and didn't think he had the experience to lead the Tigers. He should own up to that and do another article, then I could respect him for the stories he's publishing now. But I doubt I'll ever see it.

@davidhood

Jan 15, 2017, 11:23 AM

@TigersTeeth Did you read the above link? That was the first article I wrote about Dabo, and I hated the headline (because I didn't write and it didn't actually show what the article was about). Now I get it, some people read headlines and skim on and think they read a story. If you did that in this case, you missed the meat. Let me help you:

I said I like Dabo as a man and a coach. I thought he was a rising star in the coaching ranks. It reads

"I think Dabo Swinney is a rising star in the coaching ranks, and will one day be a very good head coach for somebody. It might even be the Tigers. Is he ready to take over the reins of a Clemson program that needs new life? Probably.

Nothing he has done or said over the past two months has showed me that he is not ready. If he gets the permanent job, I will be very satisfied that Phillips has made the right hire, the man that will take the Tigers to the next level."

I then go on to say that Clemson's fans anger at the time had many of them almost unreasonable, that a clear, clean cut from the Bowden era would be what many wanted, and that at the first sign of struggle people would turn on Swinney and I felt he deserved a better fate. It's a little tongue in cheek, but I think most people who operate above a certain grade level understood that.

I don't hate your guts, don't know that I've recalled you calling me out for it. I actually am proud of that piece - it was one of my first pieces on TigerNet about Dabo, and he and I talk about it all the time and laugh about it. He felt like I had his back early and appreciates it.

But hey, you can disagree with us if you want to, it's a free world.

badge-seniorwriter.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

??. FWIW.... I never had the impression you doubted Dabo***

Jan 15, 2017, 11:35 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: suck up. Lol jk***

Jan 15, 2017, 11:37 AM

Jan 24, 2017, 7:17 PM [ in reply to Re: The most negative thing I see him say about Dabo ]

@davidhood

David, thanks for the reply. I did read the entire article and not just the title as some people are inclined to do. However, as you said, the title was not completely in harmony with the rest of your commentary. So although I read the article, the title probably did stick with me.

I'm usually not one to hold grudges or anything, but that just didn't sit well with me. After years of mediocrity, I could not take another coach coming in here not understanding the Clemson culture. And if there was one thing Dabo was in tune with, it was understand our culture, traditions, and fan base. From Day 1, it was obvious to some of us. I did not want any negativity to screw with that. That's why I was so offended by it. Here was this bright, young coach with all the right tangibles, and I just didn't appreciate all the negativity of fans and media when he was doing all the right things that several previous coaches had not done.

So now he's proven he can get the job done and I just wanted a retraction of that statement. I admit that the entire article was not as bad as Id recalled, and apologize for that. But the title was terrible...and wrong. Plain out wrong. And you owned up to that in your response. Thank you for that. Now I can bury the hatchet and have more appreciation for your work which is appreciated.

Let's hold up for a sec...

Jan 13, 2017, 11:24 PM [ in reply to David Hood probably hates my guts, but he ]

EVERYBODY was questioning the hire when it happened. Nobody knew much at all about Dabo. Unless you were a player, or on the coaching staff, or a part of the administration, you didn't know much about him. Bowden brought him back into football after Dabo spent some time selling insurance. What little we knew about him came from his success recruiting for Clemson while he was also the WR coach.

The debate (for or against Dabo) continued for a few years. Some people were still skeptical, but others had seen enough to go 'all in' with him. It wasn't until maybe 4 years into his HC job that everybody pretty much said, "Yeah, Dabo is The Guy."

So, let's not start calling people out that weren't 100% onboard from Day One, because nobody was 100% when they gave him the job.

Thankfully, for all of us, Bowden recommended him and Terry Don Phillips believed in him.

After Red Parker and Charlie Pell, I'm sure there were tons of people questioning the Danny Ford promotion. I wouldn't know because I was 8 and I hadn't invented the internet yet.

Most of the old schoolers did not like his hiring at

Jan 13, 2017, 11:52 PM

all, and wanted to be done with it by going out and spending some money. I had no grounds to argue otherwise with the view but when I got those emails to "sign the petition and forward this email" I did neither of the two. I was somewhat intrigued with his enthusiasm- After all, Danny Ford was young and full of enthusiasm when he started. I had a 50/50 shot at getting that right so no credit for me(other than not forwarding the chain mails.)

Re: Let's hold up for a sec...

Jan 15, 2017, 11:44 AM [ in reply to Let's hold up for a sec... ]

Nice post. You summed up how I viewed the hiring of Coach Swinney. Actually, I had not even heard of him before he was hired. But to be fair, I didn't know the names of coordinators or other position coaches either. I didn't focus on our coaches back then.

Before the hire, I just assumed they would be looking for an experienced coach given the fact that the man being replaced was Tommy Bowden. I was skeptical about the hire, but I still supported our program. I was wrong, as were many others, and I've certainly learned a lesson.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

Jan 13, 2017, 9:55 PM

Love it! NO! You could tell from the first Tiger Walk against Ga.Tech that there was something different in the air. It truly felt like the excitement I felt when Danny Ford was head coach. He is just special...and a Tiger!

Jan 14, 2017, 1:52 AM

Pretty.......pretty........pretty good.
I love it.

I can honestly say I was on the Dabo wagon day 1!

Jan 15, 2017, 3:46 AM

Even before he was hired, I recall posting on Tnet that he has something about him that I could sense would make him a great leader of men. Passionate, genuine, direct and determined about winning and winning the right way. If you have those traits, you will succeed.

I am going to try and see if I can resurrect a couple of those posts to prove it that I was onboard from day 0 actually (ahead of day 1).

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic