Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The interference call was huge and cost us the game...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 3,169

The interference call was huge and cost us the game...

Jun 2, 2012, 10:05 PM

It was not the correct call. The runner came in with his hands up which is how we teach our players to slide. Runner never left the base path. The contact had no bearing on the play, still turned the DP.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have to agree

Jun 2, 2012, 10:08 PM

The coots were giving up the run to make the DP ( which they turned). Its a shame calls like that cost any team a game.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The interference call was huge and cost us the game...

Jun 2, 2012, 10:09 PM

###### coaching and fundamentals cost us the game.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jun 2, 2012, 10:12 PM

I watch a lot of baseball from HS to MLB and have never seen a call like that when the DP was turned. It is what it is.

^^^^^^Exactly***

Jun 2, 2012, 10:16 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's easy to say that now and pick out things we could have

Jun 2, 2012, 10:15 PM [ in reply to Re: The interference call was huge and cost us the game... ]

or should have done differently. Doesn't change the fact that the call was completely bogus. The only way you could possibly see any intent was to watch the replay...seeing it live; no way the ump makes that call. Chickens had conceded the run for the DP which they got.

How are the officials provided/chosen for regionals?

Jun 2, 2012, 10:20 PM

nm

Jun 2, 2012, 10:22 PM

What you need to understand is that it is the RULE. The run was given up, indeed. However, the RULE was followed correctly. He DID interfere, and there is no denying that.

Jun 2, 2012, 10:25 PM

3 words: Common sense and discretion

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly...he should have waited to see if it affected the

Jun 3, 2012, 9:25 AM

Play...once the call was made unnecessarily, he had to follow the rule

Jun 2, 2012, 10:27 PM [ in reply to Re: The interference call was huge and cost us the game... ]

Jay walking is a law but never enforced. Just never seen it call when the DP was made. There are a lot of rules that are overlooked in favor of the game. If they enforced every rule then the game could never be played without stoppage. It was a bad call IMHO. I never said it was not in the rule book.

Would like to see "The Rule" I don't think it was

Jun 2, 2012, 10:30 PM [ in reply to Re: The interference call was huge and cost us the game... ]

interference.

Re: Would like to see "The Rule" I don't think it was

Jun 2, 2012, 10:37 PM

Well most pitchers with a great move to first are balking but is never called as it should not be called.

Xaxctly, And

Jun 2, 2012, 10:57 PM [ in reply to Re: The interference call was huge and cost us the game... ]

it did not cost us the game. We had a whole game worth of innings left to win this one but let it slip away.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Took a run off the board...yes we had plenty of innings to

Jun 2, 2012, 11:14 PM

get it done but didn't. We win by 1 with that run with no extra innings. So you think it was the correct call?

Re: Took a run off the board...yes we had plenty of innings to

Jun 2, 2012, 11:42 PM

you are not permitted to do anything but slide into the base now. you cannot raise your hands or slide out of base line. technically by rules what schaefer did was illegal. the college rule was changed a couple of years ago. as for ump calling it since a double play was turned. he does not call first there was a another ump on first. the ump makes the out call at second and then gives a delayed dead ball sign. when play is completed he looks and sees if he was out at first if not he is called out. and on all interference calls runners must go back to original base. crazy rule but it is the right call

Agree, But

Jun 3, 2012, 12:01 AM

we ran into an ump who followed the rule book without a schred of common sense. The ump was correct but the play was close enough not to be interference in a BIG game. I can't say we lost on account of it but most umps would not have called that one. We had many other chances to win this one. Coots escaped (as usual.)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Its like saying the second baseman has to touch the bag

Jun 3, 2012, 5:22 AM

in order to turn a double. there are the written rules and the real rules.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

^^^ spot on ^^^

Jun 3, 2012, 5:27 AM

you can't slide into them hard anymore i.e. "spike 'em", you've got to do something. ty cobb would be ashamed of todays game.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Shaffer did the same thing

Jun 3, 2012, 9:47 AM [ in reply to Agree, But ]

to obstruct the go-ahead run in the 7th

but it wasn't called

--

and agreed to the other posts about the game doesn't play out the same if the run in the 2nd counts

it was THE SECOND INNING

for example now way ##### send the runner home from 2nd with 1 out on that basehit to shallow right in the bottom of the 9th if they were still down a run

next hitter flied out to deep enough in the outfield that the runner from third would have been able to tag and score

etc etc etc

umps had some iffy strikezones and called checkswings all nite for both sides

to whine about a correct call in the 2nd inning as if its some sort of conspiracy is super weaksauce

and if you can't recognize that the runner, in addition to having his arms up, threw his left arm out to the side to hook the 2nd baseman then you just aren't being honest and instead are just making whiny noise pollution

Re: Shaffer did the same thing

Jun 3, 2012, 10:45 AM

the right call was made on the slide. He hooked him, but I think the run should have counted. At the same time I see it a s a wash because shaffer should have been called for not sliding and that would have taken a run off the board.

If Shaffer does that in the bigs he will be picking up his teeth before heading back to the dugout.

Re: Shaffer did the same thing

Jun 3, 2012, 10:50 AM

uh you do not have to slide into any base. the coot could have nailed richie between the eyes and it would have been perfectly legal.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't you know when you play your little brother you have to

Jun 3, 2012, 5:19 AM

win by 2? lol. Yes Clemson won the game. 5 to 4 in nine innings. i actually celebrated last night. Although its not near as fun when everyone thinks you lost. but a win none the less. We beat a good team in SCar and on their home field as a national seed. Proud of our tigers. the out at home and the play by kieboom to end the game was EPIC!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

jim garman was the ump who made the call

Jun 3, 2012, 5:24 AM

does anyone know what conf. he works?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

disagree on the call, and more important, you cannot assume

Jun 3, 2012, 7:20 AM

the rest of the game would remain the same.

Regardless of what you think about the call, the call happened during the course of a game. You cannot assume the game would unfold the same if you extract that call from the game.

If CU had gone up 1-0 early in the game, they might have won 6-1 and they might have loss 9-1.

The bottom line is that CU had a 2 run lead in the 8th and blew it.

Re: disagree on the call, and more important, you cannot assume

Jun 3, 2012, 9:40 AM

As much as I hate agreeing with a coot, he is correct. I think the call was bull chit, but its like whining about a disputed fumble in the middle of the 2nd quarter costing us the game. Its reaching for an excuse.

We had our chances to put them away several times last night and couldnt finish. Its the same problem this team has had all year, and nothing new, unfortunately.

We played well in front of a hostile crowd in our rivals ball park, just not well enough to finish.

ZZ

Re: disagree on the call, and more important, you cannot assume

Jun 3, 2012, 11:10 AM

My point is the call was awful. The coots got what they wanted a DP and let the run score. A ump that was not trying to get his face on TV would have not made that call is all I am saying.

Jun 3, 2012, 11:48 AM

If you don't agree that the runner intentionally extended that left arms towards the thrower, then you can get no more biased.

Having your hands up while sliding is one thing (although most teams coach against it to prevent a call like this), but what got the call was that extra extension of the left arm towards the thrower.

Simple as that. It was cheap and it should cost you.

Replies: 27
| visibility 3,169
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic