Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Seth got hit by inside pitches twice last night
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Seth got hit by inside pitches twice last night

Apr 13, 2016, 9:48 AM

and umpire did not award him first base. He didn't seem to lean in - doesn't a batter have a right to hold his position within the batter's box?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

seems like this is the new thing for college umpires right

Apr 13, 2016, 9:51 AM

now.

If the batter does not lean into the pitch, the batter should get first base. Heck, Wake Forest used to lean into the pitch all the time and get a base.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Beer did not lean into either pitch.

Apr 13, 2016, 9:54 AM

The batter's box is his; the plate is the pitcher's. The pitcher screwed up. The HP umpire needs to be rewarded with a game, or two, off without pay. That ump was terrible all night.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Re: Seth got hit by inside pitches twice last night

Apr 13, 2016, 9:59 AM

He should have been awarded first both times, but what I liked was Beers last AB he kept backing off the plate and drilled a solid hit to right on a 3-0 count.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work Hard, Do Your Best, Keep Your Word, Never Get Too Big For Your Britches, Trust In God, Have no fear and Never Forget a Friend ~ Harry S. Truman

I saw one on Twitter and thought it hit the end of the bat

Apr 13, 2016, 10:03 AM

Didn't see the other

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nevermind. Saw it again on a better screen and it clearly hits him around the elbow

Apr 13, 2016, 10:09 AM

on some Barry bonds style armor.

Apr 13, 2016, 10:09 AM

If you hit Seth Beer with a pitch it ends up being a double .
His right hip is batting .309 and his left elbow already has 6 homers .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Apr 13, 2016, 11:00 AM

Although I have not been to any games this year, it seems the umpiring in the ACC is getting worse each year. Is there nothing teams can do about it ? Sounds like the coaches need to have a discussion with Swoffie.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 13, 2016, 11:18 AM

Best answer here:

Last year, I believe, the HBP rule was rewritten to say the batter must make a reasonable attempt to get out of the way of the ball. It applies even if the pitch is thrown in the middle of the batters box evidentially. Our players need to be at least turning a little to make it look like they are trying. Again, it's stupid when the pitch is so far into the box, but it is obviously the way many umps are going to call it. Monte said in an interview after the game that he didn't argue much with the ump because this is the new rule(On TCI). Just turn your upper body and head backwards while mostly holding your ground and I think you get the base. HTH.

Thanks. That makes sense.***

Apr 13, 2016, 11:20 AM

Apr 13, 2016, 12:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Seth got hit by inside pitches twice last night ]

^^^ "Monte said in an interview after the game that he didn't argue much with the ump because this is the new rule(On TCI). "

My question about this would be:
Why did Monte come out and discuss the second missed hit-batter call since it appears to me to be basically the identical location that it hit Beer? If it was the same, why bother having another discussion?

Apr 13, 2016, 12:26 PM

As a coach you always want the umpires ear. Let him forget about you and calls will start to go the other way. Never pass up an opportunity to talk. As long as the human element is part of sports officiating it will always be important to have a heavy influence.

null

Exactly right*****

Apr 13, 2016, 12:32 PM [ in reply to Re: Seth got hit by inside pitches twice last night ]

Apr 13, 2016, 12:26 PM

This has happened about 4-5 times this season with Beer. I don't believe that he's moving into the pitches, but he definitely isn't trying his hardest to move. To me, it's a dumb rule, for the simple fact that that second "HBP" was 2 feet off the plate inside, but because it hit him on the elbow pad and he just stepped into the pitch rather than jumping out of the way it is not called? Just dumb in my opinion.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic