Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Serious question about Seth Beer
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

Serious question about Seth Beer

Mar 21, 2016, 11:44 AM

Okay - let's say I'm a major league scout and I've seen Seth Beer play a few times. Even a blind scout can see that this guy should be in the bigs really soon. Is it possible that some club offer Beer mid-season like now, and flash millions at him? I would think that is possible, and am curious as to why no clubs are doing that.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Serious question about Seth Beer

Mar 21, 2016, 11:46 AM

There will be no seriousness here , not about this , not about Seth Beer .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Once he enrolled at Clemson he is not eligible for the draft

Mar 21, 2016, 11:48 AM

until 2018

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

he can't be drafted for 3 years

Mar 21, 2016, 11:50 AM

he passed up his chance at the 2016 draft by enrolling early. The earliest a club can take him is 2018 draft.

Thats why Bryce Harper got his GED and when he wasn't drafted high enough he went to a JUCO. They aren't held to the 3 year rule.

Bryce Harper was never not drafted high enough.....

Mar 21, 2016, 12:39 PM

he got his GED after his sophomore year in HS in order to expedite the process of being drafted ........basically didn't want to wait 2 more years until he "officially" graduated High School. So he enrolled in a JUCO (during what wouldve been his Jr year in HS).........then drafted #1 overall after his only year in JUCO.

He basically worked it to where he could be draft eligible after his Jr. year.......in high school

I thought he was drafted in 09 and 10

Mar 21, 2016, 1:53 PM

Didn't he go to JUCO to get that #1 pick but not tie him to 3 years of college. I think I'm remembering that right. He got his GED to be able to be drafted quicker....and you are right he was to graduate way earlier than his class.

No. Harper would have been the #1 overall pick

Mar 22, 2016, 8:04 PM

after like his freshman year of high school. His hype was unbelievable

Re: Bryce Harper was never not drafted high enough.....

Mar 23, 2016, 8:49 AM [ in reply to Bryce Harper was never not drafted high enough..... ]

Harper also went the JUCO route to face better pitching for his last two years, because a top JUCO conference will face much better pitching than most high school teams will.

Not going to happen. Has to be 3 years out of high school

Mar 21, 2016, 11:50 AM

before he is draft eligible again. Enjoy this season and the next two because he will go down as one of our best ever.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 21, 2016, 11:51 AM

WOW, UNREAL QUESTION. THE RULE IS SETH IS OBLIGATED TO CLEMSON FOR 3 YEARS OR UNTIL HE TURNS 21. NO MAJOR LEAGUE TEAM CAN TOUCH HIM TILL THEN.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cause they can't. Gotta be a jr or 21.***

Mar 21, 2016, 11:51 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

He'll be 20 this Sept

Mar 21, 2016, 11:55 AM

so we'll dodge the 21 rule too. Its 2018 at the earliest.

Re: He'll be 20 this Sept

Mar 21, 2016, 11:56 AM

BETTER DO SOME MORE RESEARCH.

Or I could just prove you wrong with 1 link

Mar 21, 2016, 1:46 PM

http://www.clemsontigers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=210620206&DB_OEM_ID=28500

born Seth Michael Beer on Sept 18, 1996.

Thus he will be 20 in 2016 and not eligible for the 2016 draft.

Will still be 20 in June of the 2017 draft

Will turn 21 in September of 2017 and there is no draft until June of 2018 at which point he will be 3 years out of high school and eligible for the draft regardless of age.

Re: Or I could just prove you wrong with 1 link

Mar 21, 2016, 2:08 PM

Thanks so much for clearing that up instead of making a shnide comment about researching and whatnot. ????

Mar 22, 2016, 8:40 PM [ in reply to Or I could just prove you wrong with 1 link ]

"Will still be 20 in June of the 2017 draft"

Thank god his birthday isn't within 45 days after the draft or else he would be 2 and gone

**DROPS MIC*****

Mar 23, 2016, 1:14 AM [ in reply to Or I could just prove you wrong with 1 link ]

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Mar 23, 2016, 8:51 AM [ in reply to Or I could just prove you wrong with 1 link ]

This is correct. Had he not enrolled early and started his actual freshman year until 2017 he would have only needed to play 2 years of college to qualify for the 21 rule.

Mar 21, 2016, 12:06 PM

So - my next dumb questions (and the reason I asked the first question) - is about Roscoe Crosby. I thought he signed with us to play football, but then signed with the KC Royals to play baseball. Did he sign with us to play football and then take the baseball contract? Or did he NOT sign to play FB prior to accepting the baseball contract? Or can someone sign with us in one sport but then accept a contract in another sport?

And I can't remember much about Jeff Franceour, but I think he never signed with us to play FB, and went straight to the Braves.

Apples and Oranges***

Mar 21, 2016, 12:15 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Mar 21, 2016, 12:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Serious question about Seth Beer ]

http://www.clemsontigers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=28500&ATCLID=205529346

Assuming Jeff signed with CU since he still has a bio on CU official site. We couldnt post it otherwise b/c of NCAA. Went with Braves after being drafted out of hs.

Roscoe was drafted after signing with us and attempted to do both. I can't remember exactly but I believe he had to go off of FB scholarship after signing pro contract.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 21, 2016, 12:21 PM

For some reason, I always thought baseball was different and similar to basketball in that you can go pro right out of HS. Whereas FB does not allow that. I did not realize that once a baseball player signs that it locks them in, similar to football. Interesting. Remembering Crosby accepting the baseball contract always made me believe that baseball had no age restrictions like football.

Thanks for the 'serious' responses. :)

They can go to the league out of HS

Mar 22, 2016, 10:28 PM

In baseball you have the option if you are drafted in HS to go straight into the league without being required to play at a college like bball or be so many years removed from HS like football. However, if a player chooses to enroll at a school then he is locked in for 3 years. There is no 1 and done in baseball. A player can get to the league after they have enrolled into a school early if they really want to by transferring to a junior college for a year or by simply dropping out of school then waiting a year at home.

Mar 21, 2016, 12:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Serious question about Seth Beer ]

Beer wanted to play Clemson baseball more.

http://www.tigernet.com/story/baseball/Monte-Lee-lands-Beer-simple-phone-call-14677

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 23, 2016, 5:08 AM [ in reply to Re: Serious question about Seth Beer ]

The quirk in the NCAA rules is that an athlete be an amateur "in their sport." The only time it gets messy is when the income derived from the other sport is generated by endorsements rather than contracts, like what happened to Jeremy Bloom about 10 years ago.

Ricky Williams played baseball in the minors when we was with Texas, Russell Wilson did the same, Jake Locker,... there are quite a few guys that play both sports, and continue to do so. Remember, the baseball draft is deep, and the guys that get D-1 football scholarships are incredible athletes. It does seem to be more rare these days as kids tend to focus on one sport.

If you go here and look at the "baseball" section, many of those guys probably played in the minors while they played college football, and the same with a lot of the football players.

Mar 23, 2016, 5:09 AM

forgot the link... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_multi-sport_athletes

he's NOT a five-tool player right now

Mar 21, 2016, 2:05 PM

He's got three tools no doubt - hitting for power, hitting for average, and fielding. He's made some highlight-worthy fielding plays so far.

His arm is a bit suspect (yes, I saw his great throw yesterday in person - it did NOT one-hop as Yannity and others erroneously reported, it was a strike to Okey in the air). His other throws this season have not been very accurate or strong. He needs some work here. Overall he doesn't appear to be the consummate right fielder because of that. Not sure what position he would be best at yet. Left, or maybe first base?

And the fifth tool - speed - is not there at all as far as I can tell.

I think he has all 5 of the tools that matter in MLB

Mar 21, 2016, 7:55 PM

He can hit.
He can hit hard.
He can hit far.
He can hit a lot.
He can hit.

Snowflake Basher........Out

That doesn't really matter though. There aren't many

Mar 23, 2016, 9:09 AM [ in reply to he's NOT a five-tool player right now ]

true 5 tool players around - Mike Trout types are incredibly rare. Kris Bryant is one the best young hitters in baseball and he's nowhere close to being a good defensive player at the moment.

Now I'm not saying Beer is at that level yet. He's had a fantastic few weeks hitting the ball but 1) it's only been a few weeks, and 2) it's college ball.

Look...

Mar 22, 2016, 11:01 PM

No doubt Beer is an OUTSTANDING player. No doubting that what so ever. But let's just ease it up on the bit about being being ready for the pros. There are stages of progression a player must endure before reaching that level. He is seeing collegiate level pitching and is crushing it. In the later minors levels to pro level pitching is MUCH more finess and fine tuned. He's going to see pitches he's never seen before in the minors and he will have to prove that he can hit it...all that said, he is an outstanding prospect with much promise to elevate his game to next level. Glad he's with us.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Re: Look...

Mar 23, 2016, 8:59 AM

Totally apples and oranges, but once we get into the thick of ACC play and if we make the tournament at the end of the season he will face quite a few pitches with future pro careers. Definitely not the same as facing actual major league pitching, but it's also not like he will play 3 years of baseball at Clemson against bonafide high school guys, either.

You are right though. After 3 seasons we will see where he is at. Making the jump to the minors after college will be a big jump, but Beer is one of the more natural hitters I've ever seen. I think he will be ok in the long run.

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic