Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Serious, honest question for the board.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 758

Serious, honest question for the board.

Jul 2, 2020, 1:34 AM

On the news about the Russians paying Isis bounties on allied soldiers.

For the moment, we must assume the information is at a minimum level credible. Apparently credible enough to share with Britain, but that doesn't make it a certainty. More reporting will tell us, as multiple outlets have confirmed the story.

Even the Pres. Secretary complained yesterday that "...if people within the U.S. intelligence community leak classified information, then no one will want to talk to them..".

If it's not true, it can't be classified. But everyone can debate all of that till the cows come home.

Now to the question. Let's give Trump the benefit of the doubt and assume that he was never briefed on this information.

But he knows now. What should he or any other President do if the information is true? What should he or shouldn't he do with Russia?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

present them with a reset button***

Jul 2, 2020, 1:36 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: present them with a reset button***

Jul 2, 2020, 1:44 AM

No, seriously. If you were President, what would you do?

IDK

Jul 2, 2020, 1:49 AM

bomb the crap out of them...is that the right answer?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who am I expected to satisfy with my hypothetical response?

Jul 2, 2020, 7:57 AM [ in reply to Re: present them with a reset button*** ]

John Bolton
AOC
Omar
You
The average Trump hater or the average Trump supporter or some moderate who isn't in either camp, Felix?

What is the goal? Is it to make the response so serious that Russia would rather chit in their mama's best cast iron cornbread skillet or to satisfy someone on the above list?

Narrow this down and we'll have an honest discussion, please.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1980's foreign policy

Jul 2, 2020, 8:01 AM

How come a serious, honest, question

Jul 2, 2020, 8:38 AM

gets these sorts of answers?

We're great at saying what various presidents do wrong (including the current one of course). What's wrong with asking what we SHOULD do?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

Because, it's fun...

Jul 2, 2020, 8:41 AM

too much serious yesterday....

and it's a Felix thread

and I don't know the answer***

Jul 2, 2020, 8:42 AM

I'm being totally serious all day today.

Jul 2, 2020, 8:42 AM [ in reply to Because, it's fun... ]

Except for the end of that one post just now where I said pee tape.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

Let me check real quick like...

Jul 2, 2020, 8:46 AM [ in reply to How come a serious, honest, question ]

why the hail didn't you answer the question?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Let me check real quick like...

Jul 2, 2020, 9:51 AM

Because I didn't have an answer yet. That's why I was reading other people's responses, to see what other thoughtful people might have come up with.

- Jonathan Swift

That's a lie.

Jul 3, 2020, 8:30 PM

You read my responses and know I'm not the least bit thoughtful.

Look.

Jul 3, 2020, 8:28 PM [ in reply to How come a serious, honest, question ]

Without knowing the details, all of the intelligence and the level of confidence the intelligence people have in the story there is no ####### way I'm going to take a stab at something like this.

If we learned nearly nothing from Russiagate surely we learned that.

If he wears a mask while doing it, he'll be fine.***

Jul 2, 2020, 1:37 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Serious, honest question for the board.

Jul 2, 2020, 2:06 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 2, 2020, 2:23 AM

From my perspective, if I were President I would completely break off diplomatic relations with them, throwing their entire staffs out of this country, and then remove their access to banking's SWIFT system.

And let them stew for a few months. You don't want a war where more American's will perish, but you can't have diplomatic standing with this country if you put bounties on the heads of it's soldiers.

Jul 2, 2020, 8:53 AM

I'll try a legit answer too...I work in the defense and intelligence industry and have had a high clearance for a long time. I said this on another post, but this type of stuff is routine, but is not typically leaked. The leaker should and could go to jail for a long time.

Just having a bounty on US heads is not a big deal. Someone still has to act on it. Plus, since we obviously know/knew about it, our Soldiers can mitigate the risk. This is a nothing story.

As president, you would not do what you said you would because you would have awareness of how these situations happen, why, how much, etc. and the history of similar situations in the past.

If you are so worked up about this, your head would explode knowing what Russia and China overtly do in the cyber domain. I say "overt" which is a bit misleading...it is overt in the sense that we can with 99.9% certainty trace it back to Russia/China government-supported and initiated activity.

Jul 2, 2020, 9:42 AM [ in reply to Re: Serious, honest question for the board. ]

Good thing you, Felix, aren't president.

Ever heard the expression...'Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer'?

The Gang of Eight (including Pelosi, Schitt and Schumer) also had access to the same intelligence and apparently did nothing either. What say you now?

Get a life....

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 3, 2020, 2:47 PM

The information was hidden from the Gang of 8, they were only briefed 2 days ago.

Imo, he should definitely not allow Russia to...

Jul 2, 2020, 6:37 AM

invade Ukraine. Unfair?

We should respond exactly the same and start a rumor in Russia that Putin is in bed with Trump and is, always has been and always will be an American plant. Surely Russians aren't as smart as those who believed that rumor in America.

We'll need Chris Steele, Glen Simpson and a few million bucks. Let Obama run this opp and make sure we put the right people on it.

Message was edited by: ClemsonTiger1988®

You act as though this is the first instance of such a thing

Jul 2, 2020, 7:20 AM

ever happening. A "reward" for the head of a US Military member has been around for a long time - I know it was used in Vietnam. How about the numerous times the Soviets rammed our US Navy warships in the Black sea? That is a physical act of war. Should we have them torpedoed? Or harpooned them?

A US Military member in a war zone is susceptible to death at any moment - adding a reward does not change that. In fact, it might actually place the enemy at more risk as it prompts them to take steps they may not have previously considered - because of the danger to themselves. Perhaps, even, a reward is being offered because the danger is so great to enemy troops that they are losing the will to fight - except now there is a "reward" they might be able to collect on.

There a a number of reasons why the US does not go off half cocked in these situations. Whether true or not.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

Re: You act as though this is the first instance of such a thing

Jul 3, 2020, 2:03 PM

HuntClub® said:

ever happening. A "reward" for the head of a US Military member has been around for a long time - I know it was used in Vietnam. How about the numerous times the Soviets rammed our US Navy warships in the Black sea? That is a physical act of war. Should we have them torpedoed? Or harpooned them?

A US Military member in a war zone is susceptible to death at any moment - adding a reward does not change that. In fact, it might actually place the enemy at more risk as it prompts them to take steps they may not have previously considered - because of the danger to themselves. Perhaps, even, a reward is being offered because the danger is so great to enemy troops that they are losing the will to fight - except now there is a "reward" they might be able to collect on.

There a a number of reasons why the US does not go off half cocked in these situations. Whether true or not.

BS it doesn't change the danger. $100,000 per American head puts a whole lot of preference into an enemy's strategy. Go after Americans for $100 Grand or go after Afghani Govt. Forces for nothing?

You're actually trying to rationalize how it is really ok for Russia to put bounties on U.S. troops with no consequence. Really? It's come to this?

The last time I checked, we're not at war with Russia. Yet it appears, that Russia is at war with us. Offering a bounty for a dead U.S. soldier is an act of war.

Jul 2, 2020, 7:49 AM

First of all the “ speculation” that bounties were paid, we’re to the Taliban not isis. Second of all, if true, do you only think it’s been happening since Trump took office? That’s just silly. Third, what’s the extra incentive to kill Americans in Afghanistan? $1.50? 2 soldiers killed this year, sounds like a terrible program.

It’s already been said that trump isn’t briefed on unconfirmed intelligence, can you imagine how much of that information exists? This another hit piece to get Russia in the news with Trump. Fact is, Trump has been tougher on Russia than anyone since Reagan. It’s a joke.

Now if it’s true, the UN should handle it. Earn those trillions of dollars we’ve paid the UN over the years by doing your job!

I love seeing democrats act concerned about the military. Lololol. I mean Biden is up by 20 points, why continue this game?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 2, 2020, 7:56 AM

Putin said they did not do it, and I take him at his word.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the sad part is...

Jul 2, 2020, 8:09 AM

between Putin and NYT...it's a toss up.

How have we gotten here?

Is it though?

Jul 2, 2020, 8:41 AM

What's the Times's record compared to the guy from the KGB who poisons his enemies and blackmails our president with a pee tape ok I went too far there.

- Jonathan Swift

I don't necessarily disagree with you.....

Jul 2, 2020, 8:43 AM

I'll put it this way.

Jul 2, 2020, 9:54 AM

If you know a more reputable source of journalism than the NY Times, let me know and we can compare them.

The whole "NY Times lol" thing is very 2003. Every news source has gotten things wrong, but the NY Times is a more reliable source than most, and that's putting it mildly.

- Jonathan Swift

Did you watch the movie "Charlie Wilson's War"...?***

Jul 2, 2020, 8:33 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Did you watch the movie "Charlie Wilson's War"...?***

Jul 3, 2020, 2:44 PM

Loved that movie.

Who is to say he didn't get briefed? And did something?

Jul 2, 2020, 8:57 AM

I'm thinking if I was President and something similar happened I'd direct the CIA to offer bounties on Russian soldiers in Syria. And all of this would be under the table of course.

Now assuming I did this, then the NY Times brings it up, I'd be sure to act like it was news to me. Because if you admit knowing about it, the Russians may figure things out.

I dunno. But I can see that possibility. Media so eager to nail Trump they screw up the covert response to it.

Or it could be just as the media says. Who knows.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

which does make me think of a serious response...

Jul 2, 2020, 9:12 AM

I guess the first thing I'd do is find out who is leaking national security info to the NYT.

"Sources say..."***

Jul 2, 2020, 9:18 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

seriously

Jul 2, 2020, 9:55 AM [ in reply to which does make me think of a serious response... ]

the trump administration has more holes than a colander

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

All administrations do, and some "leaks" are

Jul 2, 2020, 10:01 AM

done with the knowledge of the administration and is for tactical purposes.

- Jonathan Swift

We could do what other smart countries do

Jul 2, 2020, 10:56 AM

Fly our planes and sail our ships within feet of there's, right up to the edge of their territory, taunting them and begging them to do something so we can call it a declaration of war and make Nato fight them. Become a fly in their ointment.

I know we would never do anything like that, though. So I guess go on tv and blast them, and send all of their diplomats back home. Maybe send arms to some neighboring countries of theirs that aren't a fan.

The Bolton Strategy

Jul 2, 2020, 11:18 AM

I think The Bolton Strategy

Jul 2, 2020, 11:20 AM

would be to mispronounce negotiations, and then say that because Russia is friends with Iran, we must attack Iran.

The 'Axis of Evil' was N.Korea, Venezuela, Iran , & Libya...

Jul 3, 2020, 2:31 PM

N.Korea because Kim has nukes and doesn't play friendly with anybody...

Venezuela and Iran are about the oil...

Libya was about oil... (and of course their attempt at a gold standard was the final straw)

None play with the World Bank or the IMF. All were under sanctions. SOP.

Replies: 39
| visibility 758
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic