Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Serious ? re: TL
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 2,787

Serious ? re: TL

Oct 5, 2020, 11:16 AM

Trevor is an awesome talent. He has been extremely accurate, has a cannon for an arm and appears to get the ball out quickly. Everyone is touting him as the #1 pick in the NFL draft. However, he seems to have a long wind up in throwing the ball. I'm in no way comparing him to Tebow who had a long windup, but his mechanics don't favor those of Marino or Namath who had very quick compact releases. I wouldn't trade him for any college QB based not only on his athletic skills, but also on the quality person that he is, but have any of the scouts commented on his arm mechanics. Again, he seems to get the ball out quickly, forcefully and on target which is all you can ask for, but is it as quick as desired on the NFL level?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Serious ? re: TL

Oct 5, 2020, 11:20 AM

Yes. He can also throw at odd angles. He is set.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 5, 2020, 11:30 AM

So you think he gets the ball out quickly, but has a long "windup"? Those two things are opposites.

Oct 5, 2020, 12:01 PM

Normally that would indeed be the case. If his arm motion were more compact, I suspect he would get the ball out even quicker. I know 100% that NFL scouts know infinitely more than I do. No doubt. I'm guilty of nitpicking.

I don't think it's going to be messed with very much,

Oct 5, 2020, 4:42 PM

if not for one reason: He already had a stronger arm than anyone else in the NFL, 2 years ago.

Jared Goff and Carson Wentz can throw the ball 57 MPH. They have the fastest "ball" in the NFL. Trevor can throw it 61 mph, 4 mph faster.

If there is a second reason worth mentioning, his mechanics are super consistent and the spiral on all his passes have been mentioned multiple times. His throws are super clean, more often than most.

When looking at release times, his times are basically when comparing to anyone else's.

What's left for Trevor is learning Defense recognition and anticipating the (smaller) windows he's going to have to throw in.

If he can pick these concepts up the way Deshaun has, he's going to have a great career.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 5, 2020, 12:14 PM

Can you be 6'6" and have a short release?

Oct 5, 2020, 3:08 PM

Good point, however Marino was 6'4"-- I'm sorry to have posted this topic. As Bill Murray said, "It just doesn't matter." Again, TL is the best QB in college football and I think he will probably be a very successful pro barring injuries. I guess it's like critiquing the late great Bob Gibson for his delivery.

Oct 5, 2020, 4:16 PM

https://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2021TLawrence.php

"Lawrence is a good fit for any NFL offense because his powerful arm would allow him to work in a vertical offense and his accuracy on short passes with the ability to get the ball out quick lets him fit in a west coast system. Lawrence has a quick release with a fast arm whip. His internal clock is advanced, as well as he gets the ball out quickly and does not put extra pressure on his offensive line. When time allows, Lawrence shows the patience to let routes develop and does not panic if his first read is covered. Lawrence is a calm and poised passer capable of ripping apart a defense from the pocket."

He's 6ft 6'. QBs with long limbs...

Oct 5, 2020, 4:39 PM

have elongated releases by nature. All athletic movements should begin from the center of the body and move outward, as a way to engage the largest muscle groups to create force and power. Picture a figure skater spinning through the air in a tight, compact motion: Velocity comes from the core and rotary movements, not from the limbs. The guys that have the most success are the guys that have the most varied release paths. If they’re longer by nature, they can shorten it up when they need to. And Trevor Lawrence can absolutely sling it from any release point.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Oct 5, 2020, 5:33 PM

You're kidding right? Critiquing throwing mechanics on Tigernet?

Maybe I missed it in a previous post but what are your qualifications for your comparisons. Please list your relevant collegiate and/or Pro playing career information or your coaching record in dealing with high 1st round NFL talent.

Everyone I come across on the internet or media loves TL.

Oct 5, 2020, 5:51 PM

No hard feelings - but somehow all the NFL scouts, teams and former QB's have missed that "long wind-up" thing ...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 5, 2020, 5:51 PM

No hard feelings - but somehow all the NFL scouts, teams and former QB's have missed that "long wind-up" thing ...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 5, 2020, 9:20 PM

If you want to see a long and slow release, look no further than Justin Fields

Replies: 12
| visibility 2,787
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic