Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Serious ?, are any of you worried about a major drop off on our defensive line, this season?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

Serious ?, are any of you worried about a major drop off on our defensive line, this season?

Mar 19, 2019, 10:37 AM

With Wilkins, Bryant, and Ferrell gone, do you see the “new” d-line automatically replenishing, or leaving off where those guys were, at their positions? How fast will Venables get the 3 new starters ready ?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Major drop off? No. XT is going to be an absolute beast

Mar 19, 2019, 10:42 AM

and our coaches have proven that they are really good at developing players and getting them ready when it's their turn. Will there be a drop off? Probably, I'mnot sure we will ever have a defensive line like that one again, but it won't be major. I think our DBs will be improved so that will help our DL a good bit.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Drop-off yes !!! Major drop off no !!!

Mar 19, 2019, 10:44 AM

Clemson may not have the nations best defense but it will still be top 15 to 20 and with one of the best if not the best offenses in the country, that combination will be dang hard to beat.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Some. My main worry is the back up group being able to

Mar 19, 2019, 10:45 AM

give a break to the first line. That has been very positive for the last two years.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger/Terrier

Re: Serious ?, are any of you worried about a major drop off on our defensive line, this season?

Mar 19, 2019, 10:52 AM

Has to be somewhat of a drop off. Can't lose that much talent and not feel the effect in the fourth quarter with depth being the biggest area of concern And injuries could be a problem. Last year we were very fortunate that we had very little injuries and none that were very serious. Hoping we have the same good fortune this year. Go Tigers

Re: Serious ?, are any of you worried about a major drop off on our defensive line, this season?

Mar 19, 2019, 11:01 AM

But we did lose big dex for the playoffs and we were fine. Healthy Nyles Pinkney and Jordan Williams will be crucial. This spring will be crucial for their backups building reps and strengthening our depth. Hopefully Darnell Jeffries can pack on some weight. I'm expecting big things out of Tyler Davis immediately. I'm not too worried about DE but excited to see XT. Also ready to see what Logan Rudolph and KJ Henry can do. I think we will be a much different but still very explosive defensive line.

Mar 19, 2019, 11:03 AM [ in reply to Re: Serious ?, are any of you worried about a major drop off on our defensive line, this season? ]

We will be much quicker on
the defensive line, just not as
big.
Thomas and Henry will give opposing D.T.'S
whiplash and the fresh. DT's will be
quicker than C.W. and D.T. but We have to develop depth fast !

Mar 19, 2019, 10:58 AM

I see a relatively small 5-10 percent drop in production. I have full confidence in XT and our coaches. I think we'll maintain a top 20 defense and top 5 offense. We will be able to run or pass to meet our defenses needs. Not really worried about it.

Our O will be the best in the country, stats aside....Our D

Mar 19, 2019, 11:03 AM

should be top 10.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 19, 2019, 11:01 AM

Based off of who just graduated ,we would be fooling ourselves if we think there won’t be some drop off this year. With that said, we have talented guys replacing them that will continue to improve as the season moves forward. Even if we are 90% of what we were last year, that is still way better than the majority of most college football teams.

Mar 19, 2019, 11:59 AM

Absolutely agree we will see a drop off. We are losing 3 players to the 1st round, 1 player to 2-3 round, and 1 player 5-7 round and that is just on the DL. Add in losses at LB and CB and that means we need to get to the QB even faster.

With that said I am pretty confident in our DEs and my concern there is low. We will need to develop some depth but we will be ok.

DT I would say concern is medium. The two starters are out with injury and it's not like they have alot of experience to begin with. Add in the need for quality depth and very little experience to draw from there and the concern is higher than DE.

However, good luck scoring 45 points every game bc that is what it will take to beat Trevor and co.

Mar 19, 2019, 11:10 AM

My main concern is depth at DT.

You can't lose a starting DL including Wilkins, Dexter Lawrence, Clelin Ferrell, and Bryant and not see a drop-off. There will be growing pains, especially early in the season. But by late October and November, we'll be working with one of the best DL's in the country.

By the time the ACC Championship rolls around, we'll have ourselves a top 10 defense.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We've had the same concern since Shaq Lawson et. al.

Mar 19, 2019, 11:11 AM

The coaching staff seems to be OK at getting the next group ready to go! Not worried about DL at all.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No. Not at all.

Mar 19, 2019, 11:26 AM

Every time we've had to "rebuild" our defense, it's come back as good or arguably better than the last one. It might be difficult to be better than our best defensive line of all time, but they will perform at a similarly high level. I'm not worried.

Mar 19, 2019, 11:27 AM

I have worried every time we have lost any of our great d linemen. Yet, time after time, Venables does his magic. Lo and behold we keep having amazing d lines. Time to reload!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am never worried about a BV defense

Mar 19, 2019, 11:31 AM

He is the best.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 19, 2019, 12:02 PM

I'm more worried about our performances in place kicking/punting than I am about the DL losses .
Our DL should be good . Maybe not great , but good to very good . By the 7th week , we'll be very good to great there again .
Imo

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Mar 19, 2019, 5:50 PM

yep, especially hearing it's not consistent during early spring practice. As we know, kickoffs will not be an issue, but FGs & punts a little worrisome.

Marlborocountycoot =dgcannon39= tigerclaw1819 = u5c loser

Mar 19, 2019, 12:22 PM

Mar 19, 2019, 12:27 PM

Worried is too strong a word but I'm more concerned about the LB group than the Dline. I'm sure both groups will have growing pains early but the talent and coaching are there for another great defense by the end of the season.

Mar 19, 2019, 12:43 PM

we were stellar last year. It wont be as experienced nor probably quite as good but I think we will be fine

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nope.

Mar 19, 2019, 12:51 PM

Our coaches build up throughout the year. Next men are coming up. It's all about the "cycling" of our players in and out for meaningful snaps.

In One Word

Mar 19, 2019, 1:02 PM

YES!

I AM A WORRIER!

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Mar 19, 2019, 1:13 PM

The defense will be more athletic then last year as a whole.

Offense averaged 44 points a game. I believe it will go over 50 a game this year.
Defense lead the nation 13.6 points a game. The most that Clemson has given up in the past 5 years is 20 a game in 2015.

This Clemson team is going to put so much pressure on opposing offenses to score TD's that they will turn the ball over to this ball hawking defense.

Message was edited by: reynolds®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not worried per se ...

Mar 19, 2019, 3:30 PM

But DL will be weaker on and off field with loss of power rangers ... CW42 with CF99 provided the best DL leadership I can remember since my arrival as freshman in 1979. Their leadership role facilitated 2018/19 championship. Smart comments by others on backups. But can BV and Offense take up the slack and can Defense finish in top 10 to 15. No doubt.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 19, 2019, 4:25 PM

No one can truthfully say there wont be a drop-off. The power rangers were transcendent student athletes, not just from talent but leadership, experience, and having a cohesiveness that's hard to replicate. There is no one that can step in and bring that combo straight to the locker room and saying so would be an insult to just how special that group was. However, I believe we have the TALENT to be every bit as good on the playing field. My biggest concern is the drop-off at depth on the 2-deep. DT is a large concern as injuries are already an issue. Do I think our D-line falls off the map under BV? Heck no. But should we be expecting to bring in the best (or top 5) defensive lines this year? I would be more hesitant to say so. I think our offense takes a lot of pressure off our D and should set these young players up for success without having to be leaned upon as much as some teams with similar situations. By the end of the year we may be saying this group is one of the greats, however, I do not think stepping onto the field at the beginning of this season we can say we aren't at expecting at least SOME drop off. I don't think it will be major (as the post title asks) but it could be significant based on our extremely high expectations we've grown accustomed to with the power rangers and other who recently departed. Good thing is this is Clemson and we are not lacking for talent on either end of the field this season (or any season) so we can mitigate this drop-off whereas it might be a significant issue in the win/loss column for other teams.

Go Tigers

I have no doubt that BV will have em ready!***

Mar 19, 2019, 5:55 PM

Mar 19, 2019, 6:24 PM

There almost has to be a bit of a learning curve with the DL losing that much talent.

I don’t think the drop off will be severe given the the staff’s previous commitment to build depth, however, the current lack of depth is more of a concern to me late in games.

I have no doubt BV will coach em up, and we’ll likely be celebrating young players next December many never expected.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think our talent handles most of our schedule

Mar 19, 2019, 6:40 PM

pretty easily. I’m concerned against a team like UGA with a power running game. The OC’s will need to get creative too with with the loss of a lot of good blockers up front at OL and TE. I’m imagining a scenario where the front seven gets worn down and we go three and out a little too much on offense.

We are talented and young, will be good at the start, and

Mar 19, 2019, 6:45 PM

GREAT as they gain experience. In Brent we trust.

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic