Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Separation at the top of College football
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

Separation at the top of College football

Jan 8, 2020, 12:06 PM

In all of this schedule talk we gloss over the fact that the separation between elite and very good teams this year is huge. I would also argue that this has been the trend over the last 3 seasons with Clemson and Alabama separating from the pack. LSU made a jump this year with a special QB. We have also seen that in the past with FSU, Auburn, and to some extent Clemson in 15-16. However what we have not seen in many years, possibly back to the scholarship limits, is the development of programs who are far and above better than the rest. It use to be any given Saturday, but I'm not sure that exist anymore.

Clemson, Bama, and OSU have built programs that without external conflict (player conflict, coaching turnover, multiple injuries) can line up and play their C game against most competition. Sure 2nd tier programs can find a QB to elevate them for one season but can they sustain success.

Simply put Wisconsin, UGA, Florida, Oregon, Utah, Oklahoma are as big of a threat to one of these teams losing as UVA, UNC, SCar, Vandy, Northwestern etc. If they play up to their standards the talent will not allow them to lose. LSU's only game of note was Bama and Clemson just played a peer in OSU. So throw out the schedules and lets find out if LSU's QB can bring them to the level Clemson has been playing at for years.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Totally agree with your 2nd paragraph.*

Jan 8, 2020, 12:18 PM

nm

Agree

Jan 8, 2020, 12:25 PM

This seems to have happened over the past decade. It seems to coincide with social media and the expanding reach of recruiting. I can remember the days when we'd find out who are incoming freshmen were when we opened up the program for the first game. Now, we're tracking these kids when they're barely into high school.

Whatever the cause, there is certainly a gap between the few excellent teams and the many that are simply very good. I'm glad we're on the right side of that comparison.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I always highly anticipated the arrival

Jan 8, 2020, 4:02 PM

of the signing day edition of the Orange and White by snail mail.

Until then, I had no idea

Re: Separation at the top of College football

Jan 8, 2020, 12:57 PM

I agree with almost everything you said.

My disagreement is with LSU and UGA being in the second tier in terms of talent.

This year we are seeing what LSU could have been doing every year with competent QB play. Remember Burrow is a 3 star kid who has simply developed to his max potential.

UGA seems to be missing something that is a little tougher to pinpoint, but the talent on their roster is not separated from your top tier.

Sometimes top talent can under-perform or an extremely talented team can be weak at an important position, but it's hard to argue when comparing overall talent that LSU and UGA are not on the good side of that separation line.

Jan 8, 2020, 1:06 PM

I believe the immeasurable quotient your referring to is LEADERSHIP! We have Dabo Swinney, who is intent on developing people AS people who play football. UGA, OSU and their ilk concentrate on maximizing Football players for the benefit of the corporation/university and have very little in the way of investment of personal character.

Jan 8, 2020, 4:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Separation at the top of College football ]

I would not confuse star rankings with Talent or development of talent once it is on campus. Any coach at Southern Cal or Bama can recruit 5* players it takes a special coach to identify talent that is willing to work to build a culture of winning.

UGA has not put those pieces together on both sides of the ball.

LSU lost 3 games just a year ago.

null

Clemson got good at the best time

Jan 8, 2020, 1:02 PM

I think the rich-get-richer trend will continue unless the pay players trend (which I agree with) changes the landscape of building teams the way Dabo does.

Not a good time to be a solid 9-4 team anymore. Likely stuck there.

Jan 8, 2020, 3:04 PM

None of this is good for the future of the game of football.

Jan 8, 2020, 4:21 PM

This I completely agree with. I struggle with what is good for Clemson vs the sport as a whole. My biggest fear is pay-for-play creates an even bigger divide.

null

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic