Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Scotch
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 43
| visibility 1

Scotch

Oct 7, 2019, 8:02 PM

Not a fan, but need to get a celebratory bottle. Recommendations up to 100$

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Save a little cash and go with

Oct 7, 2019, 8:10 PM

A gallon of 50/50 pre diluted Peak antifreeze

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Save a little cash and go with

Oct 8, 2019, 12:28 AM

Agreed . .Scotch ouch!!!

Re: Scotch

Oct 7, 2019, 8:11 PM

Get a bottle of Oban or Inchgower.

I recommend world of whiskey as a internet source. Both can be had for about $100 and are excellent.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 7, 2019, 8:20 PM

The Balvenie, Single Malt, 17 Year Old

Oct 7, 2019, 8:24 PM

dewars is pretty smooth.

Oct 7, 2019, 10:46 PM

my late brother in law used to swear by it.claimed it never gave him a hangover or headache.prefer bourbon myself.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Ordered a Dewars in the Motherland and was laughed at

Oct 7, 2019, 11:54 PM [ in reply to Re: Scotch ]

and told that the Scots send Dewars to the States. Famous Grouse was the prevalent house brand over there.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It depends

Oct 7, 2019, 8:25 PM

Who will be drinking it, people who like scotch or who haven't really had it before?

Single malt scotch is generally considered superior to blends, however there are certainly some good blended scotches too.

I would stick with a single malt scotch from the Highlands or Speyside if you're wanting something smoother/more approachable. Glenlivet 18 year is excellent. It's very smooth and won't offend anyone who enjoys a nice scotch. People who don't even think they like scotch might like this. It will run you about $100.

If your audience likes the peatier scotches, go with something from the Islay region. Laphroaig quarter cask fits the bill here. It will run you about $75. Unless you are certain your audience likes peaty scotches, I would stay away from Islay region scotches. They are very much an acquired taste for most. People either love these or hate these scotches.

In terms of blended scotches, Johnnie Walker is the best known. These scotches are also very approachable. The Johnnie Walker Gold Label Reserve is about $75-$80 and is a good choice. I also found a Johnnie Walker sampler pack with four of their most popular scotches in smaller bottles. It is $100 on Total Wine's site. Seems like a good deal since you get four 200 mL bottles (instead of one 750 mL bottle), including the blue label (typically over $200 if you get a 750 mL bottle).

I'm happy to help more if you have specific criteria.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

The Judge is spot on . . .

Oct 7, 2019, 9:47 PM

my go to is Glenfiddich 18 Year Old Single Scotch Malt Whisky.

Re: It depends

Oct 7, 2019, 10:06 PM [ in reply to It depends ]

Tried every color of Walker and like Blue, the most expensive, the least. I'll agree on Gold and would put it in there with Double Black just behind my top call Green which runs about $65. My daughter is a 40-year-old non-scotch drinker and takes Green straight when the occasion arises.

Re: It depends

Oct 8, 2019, 2:06 PM [ in reply to It depends ]

Good advice here. The Speysides are gonna be sweeter and not have peat smoke going on if looking for something more low key.

If going single malt Islay I think the plain old Laphroaig 10 year is pretty good stuff, and the cask strength version is typically a little better and can usually be found for a decent price. The 10 year Ardbeg is also very good.

For blends the Johnnie Walker Double Black is decent stuff for a good price.

Oct 7, 2019, 8:27 PM

Have you ever tried Bourbon ?

Yeah , it's way better . Scotch is the Wake Forest tailgate of liquors .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

LOL

Oct 7, 2019, 8:40 PM

Bourbon can't hold a candle to scotch!

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: LOL

Oct 7, 2019, 8:57 PM

LOL indeed. Blanton's is a great bourbon. Leave the scotch for scrubbing engine parts.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 7, 2019, 9:11 PM [ in reply to LOL ]

We feel differently . I think scotch tastes terrible . A matter for the tastebuds from the tongue they're attached to ;)

DB23

Oct 7, 2019, 10:08 PM [ in reply to LOL ]

But wouldn't have scotch aged in anything but used bourbon barrels. Not a fan of sherry aging.

Real Americans prefer bourbon over scotch

Oct 8, 2019, 8:08 AM [ in reply to Re: Scotch ]

Only communists think scotch is better.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Real Americans prefer bourbon over scotch

Oct 8, 2019, 1:53 PM

Oct 8, 2019, 2:10 PM [ in reply to Re: Scotch ]

Most of the liquor I own and drink is bourbon, but I like scotch about equally as well. For me it's more of a cost thing. Let's see, I can get an entry level bottle of single malt scotch for $50-$60, or I can go grab a decent tasting entry level bottle of bourbon for $20-$25. The bourbon is gonna win this one every time...plus it is made here in the US and I like to buy American made products when I can.

Oct 7, 2019, 8:38 PM

“I like Scotch. I like scotch” - Ron Burgandy

Oct 7, 2019, 8:59 PM

glenfiddich 15 year finished in sherry barrels.
Or Lagavulin 16 Year Old if you like it smoky.
Dalmore 15. Is good

Oct 7, 2019, 9:01 PM

Irish whisky much better

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 8, 2019, 6:57 AM

Agree. My reply got shuffled below.

WL

Oct 7, 2019, 9:04 PM

Bruichladdich Classic (blue bottle). Unpeated Islay malt that is as smooth as anything I've ever tasted, and vastly superior to bourbon (and I like Bourbon, btw).

Bruichladdich Octomore if you want a strong peaty taste--some say the strongest (you can think of peated single malts as to Scotch what double IPA's are to beer....kinda sorta).

Oct 8, 2019, 6:53 AM

Had a coworker from LA join us for a game a couple seasons back, and he brought me a bottle of Red Breast Irish Whiskey. I’m a bourbon drinker these days, but I’d take Red Breast over any I’ve had. Very smooth.

WL

Oct 7, 2019, 9:07 PM

McCallan 15 yo. Very smooth & will be much appreciated by anyone who knows single malts.

Oct 7, 2019, 9:11 PM

Macallan 18, 15 or a big bottle of 12

Oct 7, 2019, 9:30 PM

In Memory of those who served in WWII!
Chevas Regal 18

Always polish off a bottle with a friend of mine on New Year's Eve. His father and my grandfather both served in WWII.

Grady Murray
James "Ben" Berry

Go Tigers!

Get it before 10/18. 25% tariff after that.***

Oct 7, 2019, 9:51 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em - The Webb Wilder credo

Oct 7, 2019, 9:52 PM

Just getting into scotch (really a bourbon kind of guy) so I’ve sampled a lot lately. Favorites in your price range are MaCallan 12 Double Cask ($65), Glenfiddich 15 ($70), Oban 14 (no idea on price but I’d guess 80-100 based on bar price for glass) and Glenmorangie 18 ($105). The Glenmorangie is my favorite.

Stay away from the Islay scotches that are peated unless you know they like it. I can’t drink them - smells like shoe polish, tastes worse.

Those Islay scotches will put hair on your chest!***

Oct 7, 2019, 9:56 PM

We need to go drinking one night***

Oct 7, 2019, 10:00 PM

Not a Scotch guy but do like the Glenmorangie.***

Oct 7, 2019, 10:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Scotch ]

Glenmorangie 18 is a personal favorite.***

Oct 8, 2019, 2:32 PM [ in reply to Re: Scotch ]

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 7, 2019, 9:58 PM

I don't know what the celebration is but if I had to buy good scotch, for someone special, I would spend extra and get a bottle of 18 or 21 year old Macallan scotch. They do sell half bottles.

For Irish whiskey, give me Redbreast. Almost as good as a good scotch.

Message was edited by: saddis56®

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Celebratory Scotch, for me . . .

Oct 7, 2019, 10:12 PM

Macallan 12 is all I need . . .

Everyday type Scotch . . . Famous Grouse . . . a blend of Macallan and Highland . . .

The Highland brings an extra smokiness some may not enjoy . . . but I like

Oct 8, 2019, 12:01 AM

I ain't into the new ways ...

Oct 8, 2019, 5:23 AM

Those look pretty squared-off for suppositories .

DB23

I like bourbon and scotch...so don't discriminate

Oct 8, 2019, 5:58 AM

Scotch-wise, my palate isn't sophisticated enough to distinguish 'nuances', so I'll never be considered a 'snob'. Fave-wise, I'm good with Highland Park 12...and Oban on a splurge moment. Bewared the 'peat', if you've not tried it! I'd like a used ashtray first! And yes, the Walker blends are pretty solid...'cept Red. Ugh! It's one of those if you get the first one down, the second is better...and so forth. That's really not a good route to go! ;)

If you've not tried it, give Aberlour a'Bunadh a try. You WILL need to splash some water with it, even if you use ice...or you'll cauterize your throat! A little goes a long way!

Bourbon...Buffalo Trace...Larceny...Henry McKenna...Angel's Envy. Like I said...I'm no snob...just enjoy sippin' for a bit...and I pour over rocks. I know...so sue me!

Above...can't type this AM! ^^

Oct 8, 2019, 5:59 AM

"Beware the peat..."

"I'd LICK an ashtray..."

That is all...where's my coffee?

Macallan without a doubt

Oct 8, 2019, 6:14 AM

For ages was my go to and still occasionally have a taste.
However, some years ago I switched to rums. Zaya is on the sweet side and quite good... but my fav is Red Harbor. A couple of Wofford grads researched old colonial rum recipes and founded their own distillery outside Charleston. At around $45 a bottle, its less expensive than the single malts and tastes better... to me anyway.

Macallan 12

Oct 8, 2019, 2:01 PM

18 if you have the spare cash.

Oct 8, 2019, 2:09 PM

If you don’t like it “peaty” and are more of a floral person, Glenmorangie 10 Year is great for the price. Usually around $40.

Don’t go spending tons unless you can really differentiate.

Replies: 43
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic