Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Class in Session: Venables says defense learned in valuable lab session Saturday
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

TNET: Class in Session: Venables says defense learned in valuable lab session Saturday

Sep 11, 2018, 8:04 AM

Class in Session: Venables says defense learned in valuable lab session Saturday

Clemson’s defense was in class Saturday night at Texas A&M, a late-night lab session that will pay dividends down the road. Texas A&M put up 501 yards of total offense on Brent Venables’ defense, including 430 yards through the air. A whopping 201 of those yards came in the final quarter when the Aggies scored two touchdowns to pull within 28-26. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Class in Session: Venables says defense learned in valuable lab session Saturday

Sep 11, 2018, 8:07 AM

they definitely got schooled in the 4th quarter

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Class in Session: Venables says defense learned in valuable lab session Saturday

Sep 11, 2018, 8:53 AM

Yes I agree, but you know when the domino's start to fall, there are going to be those times like this when it's going to be really hard to stop them. I've always heard that the best lessons to learn from, are the hard lessons. And hopefully our guys will learn a lot from what A&M taught them on Saturday night bc, we will face other teams with the ability to teach the same lessons if they didn't learn anything in the game against Teaxass A&M!!! GO TIGERS, there are better days ahead I trust!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 11, 2018, 9:14 AM

I think that I do know how good TAM is. We will find out as the season progresses.

Sep 11, 2018, 9:40 AM

I hope the coaches learned they cant stick with zone defense the whole game. It was easy for TAMU because the defense never shifted. It wasnt all the players fault.

Message was edited by: usarmyshreve®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 11, 2018, 10:05 AM

Yep, Jimbo had a plan to neutralize our Dline rush...it was to hold them, and then hold some more. Every ### play.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What exactly does he man by losing leverage...

Sep 11, 2018, 10:05 AM

just being out of position?

a corner, for example, will play either inside or outside of

Sep 11, 2018, 10:14 AM

a WR... sometimes on the shoulder, sometimes more. It depends on the coverage and responsibility. A safety will have leverage too, depending on the coverage and run fit.

If I have inside leverage, then I can’t get beat inside... period

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Simmons lost leverage on Monds on one play BV is talking

Sep 11, 2018, 2:43 PM [ in reply to What exactly does he man by losing leverage... ]

about because he came in unblocked but let Monds get outside of him instead of forcing him inside. Now her tracked him down and tackled him but Monds got the pass off across his body and late back across the middle (all no-nos) but got the TD anyway. That's how the 4th Qtr went for us.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 11, 2018, 10:24 AM

I confess I don't know much about how assignments are handled in the secondary. But it seemed to me late in the game, there would be a couple of safeties and maybe even a deep linebacker who were hanging there like they were waiting for a QB scramble. But then a receiver would go by them and there was nobody covering the receiver. And you could tell it was a conscious decision by the back to let the guy go by. Maybe they weren't clear on who was supposed to be spying the QB or something. Anyway, I have complete confidence in CBV to get it straightened out.

Sep 11, 2018, 10:25 AM

We got schooled for several reasons. A&M had:
- new coach/new scheme
- new QB
- new receivers and running back
.....basically - we had absolutely no background on this team, whatsoever.

They had 105K screaming fans that DID. NOT. STOP. the entire game. If you've seen Clemson fans pull our team through a hard-fought game then you know how much of a difference maker this can me (see Clemson/NotreDame 2016 for reference)

Lastly - our secondary was exposed. BAD. K'von let several bad passes slip through his hands, Isiah was off coverage more than once and overall play was sloppy (nasty weather and a soaked field played a part as well)

A&M had nothing to lose - they knew who we were and our strengths and made preparations. We had everything to lose and no way of knowing what kind of team they really were.

Our D-line played "lights out" limiting A&M to less than 40 yards or total rushing. Our secondary needs more work/discipline. Our QB situation, still not sure of at this point.

The tigers are in a good position - we've played what is probably our hardest game of the year. We have a chance to improve greatly before the end of the season - however - because our schedule is so weak, we'd probably better give more credence to running up the scoreboard and shutting-out inferior teams if we have the playoffs in mind.

Sep 11, 2018, 10:58 AM

This was a better team than I expected, based on their performance last year. Might be the best we play all year during regular season...I hope so anyway! They have a good quarterback who was definitely ready for our game plan. Our defensive line played well and got pressure on the quarterback off and on all night, but he kept making throws! And they stuffed the run!

Re: An attacking defense =

Sep 11, 2018, 12:51 PM

pressure, pressure and more pressure.

School me: what does Venables mean by ‘eye discipline?’

Sep 11, 2018, 1:18 PM

Re: School me: what does Venables mean by ‘eye discipline?’

Sep 11, 2018, 3:07 PM

Eye discipline means to be aware of where the ball and/or your guy actually are, not where the play is designed to trick you into thinking hey are.

For example, a play action pass is designed to make a safety think that the QB has handed the ball to the RB, so the safety will begin to crash down to cover a run. But oops, the RB was a decoy and that guy the safety just let go by him thinking "It's a RUN!" is now 10 yards by the coverage.

Or Ga Tech's option look. The safeties simply cannot get caught up in the run game at the line of scrimmage or linebacker depth. They want to hit someone, and will tend to drift forward until they are basically playing linebacker and ignoring the 4 times a game when Tech will actually pass. Often for huge gins to uncovered TE or WR who just ambled forward like he was run-blocking, then takes off as soon as the safety ignores him.

Or draw play. The QB and line sell a passing play at first, getting the defense to focus on the chance for a sack. But if done well, the middle is wide open for a run.

So defense has got to keep their focus on what is actually happening, not what the offense is trying to convince them is happening (like magic tricks, where the magician is tricking you into looking at one hand while the other is doing something sneaky). Thus "eye discipline".

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: School me: what does Venables mean by ‘eye discipline?’

Sep 12, 2018, 11:03 PM

mpercy®

You put real time and effort into your explanation. Excellent! Thank you so much. I don’t know much-any- of the finer points of football.

Sep 11, 2018, 2:08 PM

TA&M was well coached and executed their game plan very well! Mond had an exceptional game and he has three or four receivers that are extremely talented! Our DBs are still a bit young and we’re out of position several times all night, but truly Mond places the ball in some great spots on two of their scores and theirs guys just made great plays in the end zone! This was great teaching for us, and Brent will have these guy’s attention to detail from this and we’ll see improvements! Hoping that was our toughest regular season game!!! Go Tigers!!!

Sep 11, 2018, 3:08 PM

And at least a few A&M passes were tipped at the line of scrimmage or by a DB and still caught. Lot of luck there, too.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic