Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Saw some great movies at the old Clemson Theater
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Saw some great movies at the old Clemson Theater

May 4, 2019, 11:21 AM

Growing up in Clemson, we had only had 1 movie theater for years. Like me, if you remember this you're pretty old. I think it was just called - "The Clemson Theater." Still operating in the mid-'80s; finally closed & became Mr. Knickerbockers at some point.
(The only other choice for years - the old YMCA Theater at Bowman Field. 2nd-run films).

After movies we'd go next door to the drugstore for a real fountain Coke or a REAL milkshake.

Saw some good classics there as 1st-run films: My 1st James Bond movie with the BEST Bond - Sean Connery.

Saw the Beatles' 1st movie - "A Hard Day's Night." A British horror classic - "Children of the 'Dammmed'."

Other great ones: "Bonnie & Clyde" "Cool Hand Like" "Patton" "Billy Jack" "In Cold Blood" "M.A.S.H." "Easy Rider" "Woodstock"

Great memories from life in a college town. At one point, I know admission was a quarter & popcorn a dime.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And Pistol Pete says HellO!

May 4, 2019, 11:38 AM

He dribbled that dang basketball while seated on front seat..and even in church hallways I heard.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: And Pistol Pete says HellO!

May 4, 2019, 12:02 PM

You're right Bill! That was Pete. He lived around the block from us & we had a goal mounted over the garage. Pete was in my older brother's class & he, my brother & other neighborhood kids would come over & shoot or play 2-on-2 or 3-on-3 - or 3 or 4 on Pete.

Oh - correction on movies... Meant to type "Cool Hand LUKE - not "Like."

Re: Saw some great movies at the old Clemson Theater

May 4, 2019, 12:16 PM

I remember watching the movie "Kids" there, and half the audience walked out in the opening scene.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 4, 2019, 9:43 PM

No way they played that. Have you seen Mid 90's?

May 4, 2019, 5:25 PM

Remember Cool Hand Luke on night returning from Christmas break. We were there early in line and there ended up being a huge rowdy crowd. Was late starting because of crowd. The theatre had a goofy auto commercial always before show. It was late and so packed they decided to skip the commercial, cartoon and news reel. Students started raising a ruckus for the commercial. Just trying to be contrary. They stopped the movie did everything as normal and everyone was happy. Great movie. Saw plenty of them there.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 4, 2019, 6:20 PM

"Johnny Got his Gun"... Weird anti war movie that still gives me the willies...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 4, 2019, 6:43 PM

In mid 70’s there was a movie theater between Hardee’s and esso club in a shopping mall where a condo building now stands. They showed skin flicks.

May 4, 2019, 7:24 PM

Just for correction, the theater became Ibrahim's. And they showed R-and other flicks at the late shows on Friday and Saturday nights. Also saw 2001 there. What a great light show.

By the way, I used to collect the money for the Y flicks. Used to keep count of all the bad guys Clint shot.

May 4, 2019, 7:37 PM

The Rastro?

May 4, 2019, 9:45 PM

You people on here are so old. How can you use a computer? My dad graduated Clemson in '65 and he can't send an e-mail.

May 4, 2019, 9:56 PM

If you live long enough, your kids will say the same thing about you someday. I am living proof!

May 4, 2019, 10:03 PM

If youre talking the Astro, I saw Unforgiven there my freshman year.

May 4, 2019, 10:11 PM

The Astro Theater was alive and well in the 1980s. Being turned into a brewery.

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/2019/03/05/clemson-first-brewery-plans-old-astro-theater/3054247002/

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic