Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Greg Marshall
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 115
| visibility 5,749

Greg Marshall

Mar 19, 2020, 1:37 PM

Since the season ended, 6 players have announced that they want to transfer from the program. That is wild.

He's another coach that tons of people on t-net wanted instead of Brownell.

So here is the most popular coaches that TNET wanted and how they are doing today.

Shaka Smart: He's made the tournament 2 out 5 years at Texas. They wouldn't have made it this year. Since 2000, they have only missed one NCAA under Barnes. He also has a losing conference record

Will Wade: Cheated and got in trouble at LSU and is just an overall scumbag

Greg Marshall: 6 players have announced they are transferring in the last couple weeks.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

110% chance he would have done a better job

Mar 19, 2020, 1:38 PM

I don't care what is going on there now, he would have definitely made more than 2 tournaments in 10 years... and I'm not anti-Brownell. But Marshall is a much better coach.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Snowflake Basher........Out

Re: 110% chance he would have done a better job

Mar 19, 2020, 1:40 PM

Ok. How would you feel if he made the tourney 4 times in 10 years but after this season, 6 players are transferring. I don't chalk that up to coincidence. He either made bad decisions in recruiting or has lost the team.

Mar 19, 2020, 1:45 PM

We have 2 or 3 players transfer out every year...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Which isn't anywhere close to SIX in a year.

Mar 19, 2020, 1:50 PM

That's the point.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Mar 19, 2020, 2:20 PM [ in reply to Re: 110% chance he would have done a better job ]

2 or 3 every year..... Despite that not being true, losing 6 over the span of 2 weeks is a little different than that. LOL.

I'm just pointing out facts here. Those are the 3 names that I have heard the most when discussing coaching possibilities over the last few years.

The grass isn't always greener. Just saying. You can fire Brownell tomorrow, but if you can't find a coach better than him, then do you really want to fire him? The 3 coaches that I mentioned are not wildly successful at their current gigs. It's hard to get a well known established coach to come to Clemson.

It's hard to strike gold like we did w/ Dabo and football.

So half as many?***

Mar 19, 2020, 4:17 PM [ in reply to Re: 110% chance he would have done a better job ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FYI, 110% isn't possible.

Mar 19, 2020, 1:49 PM [ in reply to 110% chance he would have done a better job ]

Maybe you should review what percentages are. :)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

^^^ Not allowed to rub Howard's Rock***

Mar 19, 2020, 2:12 PM

Mar 19, 2020, 2:33 PM [ in reply to 110% chance he would have done a better job ]

gtriple® said:

I don't care what is going on there now, he would have definitely made more than 2 tournaments in 10 years... and I'm not anti-Brownell. But Marshall is a much better coach.

Wondering how you definitely know? Marshall has the benefit of JC players, open admissions, the top sport at his school and is near fertile recruiting grounds at his current post. He also plays the AAU game which is something not done at Clemson. When will y’all learn that it’s not CBB that’s the problem at Clemson?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Mar 19, 2020, 4:16 PM [ in reply to 110% chance he would have done a better job ]

Thanks for the laugh, I needed a good one

Mar 19, 2020, 4:27 PM [ in reply to 110% chance he would have done a better job ]

gtriple® said:

5 post seasons in 9.

At the end of the day...

Mar 19, 2020, 1:40 PM

neither Gregg Marshall nor Shaka Smart were ever coming to Clemson regardless of what TNet or Clemson, for that matter, wanted.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

And the anti-Brownell crew here freak out anytime

Mar 19, 2020, 1:48 PM

we lose a player to transfer, claiming that he doesn't know how to keep players happy or know what's going on with his team.

Wouldn't it be great if people were fair and reasonable in their assessments, rather than heavily biased against OUR coach?

Re: And the anti-Brownell crew here freak out anytime

Mar 19, 2020, 2:43 PM

Now this is more like tnet.

Anyway, may be germans but I missed the question on drad saying"exciting other things with the program... " that's paraphrasing but what other than good recruiting was he referring too.

Last, I'll add. Brad is our coach and I will support that decision. Even without this, the nod drad gave to him, he wasn't going anywhere this year.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: And the anti-Brownell crew here freak out anytime

Mar 20, 2020, 2:22 PM

So let's hire an "assistant coach" that we can't call an assistant coach and call him "assistant TO THE coach" while he has slightly more than a .500 season as head coach at Evansville when he was fired. Luckily he was hired the next day by an old friend (although no position was available) - and at what salary, I ask. Can't seem to find that info anywhere. But BB gets no support !! What does this special asst. do? Doesn't interact during games. Just sits there - dah. Maybe pay for better recruits ?

Re: Greg Marshall

Mar 19, 2020, 1:55 PM

HAVE BEEN IN SOCIAL SETTINGS WITH GREG MARSHALL WHEN HE WAS AT WINTHROP. LETS JUST SAY HE IS VERY PROUD OF HIMSELF.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have know Gregg since we were in elementary school...

Mar 19, 2020, 1:59 PM

and it is entirely fair and accurate to say that he has always been a little on the hubristic side.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: I have know Gregg since we were in elementary school...

Mar 19, 2020, 2:38 PM

+1 for hubristic!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You don't exactly come off as the type of person other

Mar 19, 2020, 2:18 PM [ in reply to Re: Greg Marshall ]

people would enjoy being around in social settings either...so not sure you're the one to judge that.

Re: You don't exactly come off as the type of person other

Mar 19, 2020, 2:24 PM

LMFAO. YOU WOULD BE QUITE SURPRISED.

Surprise him.***

Mar 19, 2020, 2:59 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Mar 19, 2020, 2:49 PM [ in reply to You don't exactly come off as the type of person other ]

THIS!

I’d drink one with DE.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 19, 2020, 4:28 PM

User Logo
BloodbeOrange®
110%er [5131]
TigerPulse: 100%
Re: You don't exactly come off as the type of person other [1]
Posted: Mar 19, 2020 2:49 PM

THIS!

I’d drink one with DE.

IT WOULD BE MY PLEASURE.

Mar 19, 2020, 4:41 PM

We’ll make it happen sir!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please return safely

Mar 19, 2020, 6:37 PM

and let us know ed zachary how surprised you are.

TIA

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Re: Please return safely

Mar 19, 2020, 7:29 PM

DE is hilarious! I’m buyin. Come on 94. You know you're curious.

Message was edited by: BloodbeOrange®

deroberts simply speaks his mind, unfiltered, so you...

Mar 19, 2020, 9:43 PM

...can like him or hate him for it. I actually respect him for the lack of extraneous bs in his comments. Very much to the point. Would share a brew with him anytime and probably laugh my butt off while doing so. Even if I disagreed with something he said.

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

Re: deroberts simply speaks his mind, unfiltered, so you...

Mar 19, 2020, 9:56 PM

the more the merrier. my m o is pretty plain. if you talk sh it about clemson, its players or coaches i will be there. i certainly do not agree with everything but they are our coaches and players so i will support them.

Mar 19, 2020, 9:58 PM

Amen Moab, my point exactly!

Mar 19, 2020, 9:59 PM [ in reply to Re: deroberts simply speaks his mind, unfiltered, so you... ]

and yes you would have fun. trust that

I'm very surprised by Shaka Smart's lack of success at Texas***

Mar 19, 2020, 2:37 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's just what the CBB pumpers want you to think

Mar 19, 2020, 3:27 PM

He just finished his 5th year there. He most likely would have made the NCAA tournament for the 3rd time in 5 years. They had a bad year his 2nd year. The other missed tournament was last year when they won the NIT. I would've enjoyed that "lack of success" at Clemson for the first 5 years of Brownell's tenure.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

They weren’t making the dance this year, no matter how badly you wanted them to.***

Mar 19, 2020, 3:58 PM

Nobody was making the dance this year Karen***

Mar 19, 2020, 4:03 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Nope, just Texas. Because you love yourself some Shaka

Mar 19, 2020, 4:44 PM

don't you, Princess?

Love? No. But I think he's a good basketball coach

Mar 19, 2020, 9:39 PM

and I have a lot of respect for the career he's made so far. The Final Four run VCU made was impressive.

They were only 9-9 in the Big12 and it's not like that was a

Mar 19, 2020, 4:24 PM [ in reply to They weren’t making the dance this year, no matter how badly you wanted them to.*** ]

great conference this year

How do you define "great conference?" The B12's NET ranking

Mar 19, 2020, 4:36 PM

was 3rd in the country.

Re: They weren’t making the dance this year, no matter how badly you wanted them to.***

Mar 19, 2020, 4:37 PM [ in reply to They weren’t making the dance this year, no matter how badly you wanted them to.*** ]

Didn't you ##### a few weeks ago about how people would hold this season against Brad if the tournament got cancelled?

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

I think the OP is likely correct - Texas wouldn't have made

Mar 19, 2020, 4:09 PM [ in reply to That's just what the CBB pumpers want you to think ]

The Dance. 9-9 in conference, only a couple of "good" wins (but, they were near season's end).

I'm sure Texas expected much better after 5 years...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They had 5 Q1 wins and 4 of those 5 were on the road.

Mar 19, 2020, 4:33 PM

Two of those 5 came before January 1. They didn't lose a single Q3 or Q4 game all year.

I'm not saying they were a lock to be in the tournament, but you can't say "they weren't getting in" and to agree with that is incorrect. I think they were in already, had they beaten TTU in the first round of their conference tournament they were a lock IMO.

I guess I expected SS to cake walk into The Dance every

Mar 19, 2020, 4:39 PM

year at Texas. Since he hasn't, that's what I defined as "lack of success".

And his conference record over those 5 years?***

Mar 19, 2020, 4:24 PM [ in reply to That's just what the CBB pumpers want you to think ]

According to this board, the NCAAs he made with Rick's

Mar 19, 2020, 4:32 PM [ in reply to That's just what the CBB pumpers want you to think ]

players don't count, so much for the first One and Done he posted...and their 11 conference wins too if we do it like the Brownell Bashers...So take away his best season, with Rick's players, and he has a 29-42 record in the Big 12 with "his" players...And it's not like the Big 12 is great...It's been KU and the Nine dwarves for a while now

Re: According to this board, the NCAAs he made with Rick's

Mar 19, 2020, 4:47 PM

Re: According to this board, the NCAAs he made with Rick's

Mar 19, 2020, 8:56 PM [ in reply to According to this board, the NCAAs he made with Rick's ]

Big 12 is definitely weak sauce. Especially compared to the mighty ACC.

Not to mention 3 different B12 teams have made the Final

Mar 19, 2020, 9:36 PM

Four the last 4 years - Oklahoma, Kansas and Texas Tech.

So 29-43 in the last 4 years is understandable, because

Mar 20, 2020, 1:00 AM

they faced the Big 12? Is that what you're trying to say? Parse all you want, but he has underachieved at UT and I have no reason to believe he would have succeeded here with less if he is ten games below .500(given the benefit of Rick's players) with Texas' resources...Five years in and not a single NCAAT Win, even with the other guys players? That's certainly not cutting it with the whiners here, and we're not Texas

Re: Not to mention 3 different B12 teams have made the Final

Mar 20, 2020, 7:44 AM [ in reply to Not to mention 3 different B12 teams have made the Final ]

GWPTiger® said:

Four the last 4 years - Oklahoma, Kansas and Texas Tech.

Odd. I have never heard you make this argument in defense of Brownell. You know, considering that the ACC has had 4 teams in the final 4 in the last 4 years. This includes 2 national championships. How many national champions for the B12?

Mar 20, 2020, 8:50 AM

That’s not what he was arguing but you know that.

Mar 20, 2020, 9:55 AM

viztiz® said:

That’s not what he was arguing but you know that.

What was the point of bringing up Strength of Conference then?

Mar 20, 2020, 12:09 PM

directly refuting this statement - “ And it's not like the Big 12 is great...It's been KU and the Nine dwarves for a while now .”

40-50 is a horrible record...Spin that***

Mar 20, 2020, 12:53 AM [ in reply to Re: According to this board, the NCAAs he made with Rick's ]

Re: 40-50 is a horrible record...Spin that***

Mar 20, 2020, 1:36 AM

I love that in your mind the one posting the conference NET rankings is the one “spinning.”

I love that you're attempting to gloss over his below .500

Mar 20, 2020, 11:25 AM

conference record

Re: I love that you're attempting to gloss over his below .500

Mar 20, 2020, 12:14 PM

I am not glossing over anything. I have not mentioned a single coaches name. You stated: “ And it's not like the Big 12 is great...It's been KU and the Nine dwarves for a while now.” You were the one making broad generalities about conferences to reinforce your point about a couple of specific coaches. I’m simply providing the actual conference NET rankings (Big 12 is second in RPi so that won’t help you) to put your assertion in perspective.

Yeah, it's not like KU has owned that conference...Oh wait,

Mar 20, 2020, 12:25 PM

they have and it's not like Smart has gone 10 games below .500 during that stretch..Oh wait...

The Big12 has the 2nd best OOC record this year

Mar 20, 2020, 1:02 PM

behind only the Big East and are the 3rd best conference in NET rankings. Why is it difficult to admit that the B12 is a good basketball conference?

I'm not glossing over Texas' conference record since Smart has been there, but a lot of that was his 2nd year, a really bad year, in which they went 4-14 in conference. There's no ignoring or denying how bad that was. That's Larry Shyatt bad.

But there have been a lot of really good teams in the B12 other than Kansas, including Texas Tech who made it to OT in the national championship game last year and made it to the Elite 8 the year before that.

He's 25-30 if you take his best year and his worst year out

Mar 20, 2020, 1:38 PM

of the equation...He has posted a positive conference record ONCE in five years, and that was his first season, with Rick's players...It is what it is...he is a sub .500 coach in a big conference, simple as that

Correct, he has a sub .500 record in-conference so far

Mar 20, 2020, 2:43 PM

I don't think I have denied that or tried to gloss over it. The only points I'm making is that 1) he's a very good coach with a resume that a lot of coaches would love to have, and 2) the Big12 is not a bad conference with just one team in it.

I'm also not trying to take away his worst year, or his best year. In 5 years, he has only had a winning record in conference 1 time. He's had 3 years with a losing record and this year was .500 which put them in a 4-way tie for 3rd place in conference.

Let me ask you this, do you think he's a bad coach?

I think he is a sub .500 coach in the Big 12 and I'm not

Mar 20, 2020, 3:06 PM

sure that is as prestigious as you seem to think it is...I would say four straight seasons without a winning conference record is pretty unremarkable, especially considering what he was able to accomplish at VCU and what he was left with at Texas and I would certainly say he has done a bad job there the first five years. I honestly can't fathom how you seem to think he has been successful and then whine constantly about the state of OUR coach's tenure...We're through the Looking Glass on that one.

I'm not sure why both you and JK keep coming back to

Mar 20, 2020, 3:39 PM

what you (incorrectly) perceive my opinion is of Brad in Year 10 and comparing it to my opinion of Smart in Year 5.

I wasn't even comparing the two because their resumes are incomparable. But when someone here mentions that Shaka Smart is a good coach you, JK, FutureDoc and now Mountaineers come out in full force with your whataboutism and start talking about Brad. It's laughable really.

I'm just trying to get a baseline reading guy...I can't

Mar 20, 2020, 3:56 PM

believe people were trying to count Smart's first NCAAT without footnoting it was with Rick's players...I didn't realize there was a double standard, my bad for attempting to judge anybody else by the exact same standards people hold Brad to...Clearly that was a mistake, I should have given Smart a pass for his horrible conference record

Why? He has to coach at a real school in a real conference

Mar 19, 2020, 4:20 PM [ in reply to I'm very surprised by Shaka Smart's lack of success at Texas*** ]

now, he doesn't get in the same people he could at VCU and he doesn't get their cakewalk...If he can't coach at Texas, it's a him problem

I'm amazed that the Shaka Fangirl Club here

Mar 19, 2020, 4:51 PM

goes to such great lengths to defend him. He stepped into a great situation at Texas (far better than Brad did here), with a talented roster (more talented than Brad inherited), at a school that supports basketball (far better than we do here), and he has very little to show for it.

Yet I don't see nearly the criticism of him by the Shaka Fangirl Club that they apply to Brownell. As you stated in another post, they aren't taking away his first year due to it being "Barnes's players," nor are they expecting him to achieve at any reasonable level. It is assumed that he makes the NCAAs this year, but it's assumed that Brad wouldn't. And they claim to be Clemson fans who support our program! You can't make this stuff up!

You do know it's possible to admit that Shaka Smart

Mar 20, 2020, 9:01 AM

is a good basketball coach while also supporting our basketball program and Brad Brownell right? Like, it doesn't have to be one or the other.

Re: You do know it's possible to admit that Shaka Smart

Mar 20, 2020, 9:52 AM

GWPTiger® said:

is a good basketball coach while also supporting our basketball program and Brad Brownell right? Like, it doesn't have to be one or the other.

Yes that is possible. Do you think Brownell is a good coach?

Yes, I think Brownell is a good coach, why do you ask?***

Mar 20, 2020, 11:28 AM

Re: Yes, I think Brownell is a good coach, why do you ask?***

Mar 20, 2020, 2:05 PM

Nice. I guess I just assume that pretty much everyone on here doesn't like Brownell as a coach, and that is my bad.

Actually thinking back you are normally pretty reasonable, so I apologize if I have come across as harsh.

It is fair to say that Shaka Smart has had a very successful career as a head coach thus far.

I also think it's fair to say that he has under performed at Texas in his first 5 years.

Re: You do know it's possible to admit that Shaka Smart

Mar 20, 2020, 10:02 AM [ in reply to You do know it's possible to admit that Shaka Smart ]

GWPTiger® said:

Hey GWPTiger,

If you don't believe me that Shaka has under-performed (by a lot) at Texas, then read this 149 page thread on a Texas board where pretty much everyone wants him fired.

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/topic/99-fire-shaka-smart/page/148/

*Disclaimer*

In an effort to not offend or trigger GWP, I wanted to mention that I did not read all 149 pages.

+1 for that last line because it made me lol***

Mar 20, 2020, 11:36 AM

Of course it’s possible to think that Shaka Smart is a good coach.

Mar 20, 2020, 12:50 PM [ in reply to You do know it's possible to admit that Shaka Smart ]

But it’s hypocritical to apply very different standards to him and his tenure at Texas than it is to Brownell’s here, especially since you are much harder on Brad. This despite claiming to support our basketball program.

I'm not comparing the two or applying standards

Mar 20, 2020, 1:25 PM

But I can look at Shaka Smart's 13 year career as a HC that includes

-7 NCAA Tournament Appearances
-A Final Four appearance
-NIT championship
-Only 2 of his 13 seasons resulted in not making the NCAA or NIT

and acknowledge that he's had a very good career so far. That has nothing to do with Brad.

I agree, he has had a very good career.

Mar 20, 2020, 4:18 PM

And that is mostly due to his success at VCU. Based on how well he did there, one would think that he would be successful at Texas - but he really hasn't been.

The discussion in this thread is about his success (or lack thereof) at Texas. He's been to 2 NCAA Tournaments, but the first was in his first year there with Barnes's players. As we have learned from the Brownell Bashers here, that first year doesn't really count. So that leaves us with ONE NCAA Tournament in 3 years at Texas (I'm excluding this season since we don't know for sure either way). Considering Rick Barnes made the NCAAs in all but one year during his nearly 20 years at Texas, that's a huge drop-off.

Not to mention, in Shaka's two NCAA Tournament appearances at Texas, he hasn't even won a game. Barnes advanced many times, including a Final Four and multiple Elite Eights. In the Big XII, he's just 40-50, well below .500. That's in comparison to Rick Barnes's .664 Big XII record.

If you want to talk about Shaka's OVERALL coaching record, that's fine, but it doesn't justify his disappointing tenure at Texas.

Re: Of course it’s possible to think that Shaka Smart is a good coach.

Mar 20, 2020, 1:27 PM [ in reply to Of course it’s possible to think that Shaka Smart is a good coach. ]

translate: you're entitled to your opinion but you're using it wrong and that makes you a bad fan.

Since you and CM Shack struggle with the concept, this is gaslighting in a nutshell. It isn't exclusively the province of emotionally abusive significant others.

Re: Of course it’s possible to think that Shaka Smart is a good coach.

Mar 20, 2020, 4:19 PM

Texas wouldn't have made it this year?

Mar 19, 2020, 3:14 PM

You cannot definitively say that. On March 12 Lunardi had Texas in his last 4 in. So please show your work on coming to the conclusion of "they wouldn't have made it this year."

Re: Texas wouldn't have made it this year?

Mar 19, 2020, 3:23 PM

I don't definitively know that they wouldn't have made it. They were .500 in conference and 19-12 overall. I haven't seen them in any projections of making it. Either way, best case scenario is that he made the tourney twice in 4 full years and had 1 year on the bubble.

That's pretty bad considering Texas only did not make the tourney once in the 2000's.

To elaborate more, Texas has not made the tourney only 3 times sense 1990 pre-shaka.

Per Texas standards, that is not good whatsoever.

Re: Texas wouldn't have made it this year?

Mar 19, 2020, 3:33 PM

OK so people are going to argue over making something that didnt happen. I know we're sports starved but that is just so silly.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's not what I'm arguing at all, it was just a stupid

Mar 19, 2020, 3:38 PM

comment to make in the OP. Almost as stupid as implying that we are better off with Brownell than we would have been with Marshall.

Re: That's not what I'm arguing at all, it was just a stupid

Mar 19, 2020, 4:34 PM

GWPTiger® said:

comment to make in the OP. Almost as stupid as implying that we are better off with Brownell than we would have been with Marshall.

I did not imply anything. I posted statements about how the coaches a lot of people on this board wanted. They are not doing so hot at the moment. At least that’s what it seems on paper.

Im not saying or implying that they wouldn’t have been as successful as Brownell. How the hell would I know that?

Mar 19, 2020, 4:34 PM [ in reply to That's not what I'm arguing at all, it was just a stupid ]

GWPTiger® said:

I did not imply anything. I posted statements about how the coaches a lot of people on this board wanted. They are not doing so hot at the moment. At least that’s what it seems on paper.

Im not saying or implying that they wouldn’t have been as successful as Brownell. How the hell would I know that?

Mar 19, 2020, 4:48 PM [ in reply to That's not what I'm arguing at all, it was just a stupid ]

GWPTiger® said:

So just to be clear.....

In my exchange w/ GWPTiger, he has done the following:

- That I was a "moran" for implying something that I wasn't really implying

- And got extremely triggered that I said Texas wouldn't have made the tournament.

Great contributions man. You really make this board fun.

But she's always about truth, fairness, and respect.

Mar 19, 2020, 4:55 PM

At least that's what she claims.

Then why did you present it as fact that they wouldn't have

Mar 19, 2020, 3:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Texas wouldn't have made it this year? ]

made it this year? If you don't definitively know something, then you shouldn't say it definitively:

"He's made the tournament 2 out 5 years at Texas. They wouldn't have made it this year."

If you haven't seen any projections of them making it, then you were trying really hard to ignore it.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

It's called "pathos" according to Aristotle.***

Mar 19, 2020, 3:38 PM

It's called "moran" according to GWP. ***

Mar 19, 2020, 3:50 PM

Re: Then why did you present it as fact that they wouldn't have

Mar 19, 2020, 4:40 PM [ in reply to Then why did you present it as fact that they wouldn't have ]

Holy crap man, get a grip. I apologize and didn't mean to offend you. I made a quick post and went off of my knowledge of seeing a projection on TV and quickly looking at their record. I will be sure to check sources thoroughly and cite them in posts from now on. I certainly don't want to offend you again

Do you think that Texas fans are happy about Shaka's first 5 years? Do you think he's meeting expectations? Because that was the point of the post. And you have responded to none of it.

All you have done was get triggered that I said they wouldn't have made it. Again, I'm sorry.

You don't need to apologize to Princess.

Mar 19, 2020, 5:00 PM

Shaka most likely wasn't going to be in the NCAAs this year. But even if he somehow made it, 2 NCAAs in four years - one with Barnes's players, and another where he barely got in - is underachieving given all of the advantages and resources he has at Texas.

Great, so are you also allowing for the fact that we

Mar 19, 2020, 4:58 PM [ in reply to Then why did you present it as fact that they wouldn't have ]

(Clemson) might have made it this year?

Since you can't prove that, you also can't prove that we wouldn't have won the national championship.

Your line of thinking is ridiculous. Texas most likely wouldn't have made it this year, just as we most likely wouldn't have either. Please be reasonable, even if it means acknowledging that your boy Shaka has been a huge disappointment at Texas despite the great situation he stepped into and all of the resources he has in place to make his job a very good one.

Yes I'm allowing for that. In fact, I made many posts the

Mar 20, 2020, 9:29 AM

day we played GT in our final game talking about that very thing and defending the season Brownell has had and comparing this year's NCAA team sheet to the team sheet from last year and the Sweet 16 year. I argued against people who were claiming Clemson was never on the bubble before the loss to VT and I made the case that Clemson could still make the tournament without winning the ACCT.

The fact is, none of us know for sure whether Texas would have made it in or not, I just posted a link to Lunardi having them in his last 4 in as of the day Texas was scheduled to play their first conference tournament game.

I'm not sure why the mention of Shaka's name gets you so defensive, did he steal your girlfriend back in middle school or something?

I’m not being defensive when I ask for you to be consistent

Mar 20, 2020, 4:00 PM

in how you evaluate coaches.

If you were the AD at Texas, would you be pleased with only two NCAA Tournaments thus far, no NCAA Tournament victories, and a Big XII record well below .500, despite paying Shaka a high salary with a long-term guarantee and a large buyout?

Please keep in mind that he followed a coach that was FIRED for making the NCAA Tournament 16 of his 17 years at Texas, including a Final Four and multiple Elite Eights.

Mar 19, 2020, 3:53 PM
34vwjo.jpg(93.6 K)

You talk about gaslighting a lot.

Mar 19, 2020, 5:01 PM

Are you Peter Griffin?

I'm just waiting for hi to use it correctly***

Mar 19, 2020, 5:45 PM

Re: I'm just waiting for hi to use it correctly***

Mar 19, 2020, 7:57 PM

Save your ageist BS, I'm not even a boomer you ####, just

Mar 20, 2020, 11:21 AM

another term you can't apply accurately...Seems like that's a pattern with you

Re: Save your ageist BS, I'm not even a boomer you ####, just

Mar 20, 2020, 12:15 PM

The internet must be so confusing for you.

I build PCs in my spare time, as a hobby...so wrong again***

Mar 20, 2020, 12:22 PM

Re: I build PCs in my spare time, as a hobby...so wrong again***

Mar 20, 2020, 1:06 PM

oof. You really got me. Understanding PC architecture is definitely the same as memes. btw - that was a straight up boomer reply on your part.

I'm not a boomer, so your bigoted hate speech is simply not

Mar 20, 2020, 1:34 PM

applicable...But kudos to you for being able to vomit out the flavor of the month meme, now we just need to get you to use it in the correct parlance

Re: I'm not a boomer, so your bigoted hate speech is simply not

Mar 20, 2020, 2:07 PM

your life must have been lollipops and candy canes if "ok boomer" qualifies as "bigoted hate speech." if it makes you that angry it definitely applies to you. If you think there is a "right way to use it" it also applies to you.

I would love to hear how using age as a pejorative term

Mar 20, 2020, 3:09 PM

isn't ageism, please explain

Re: I would love to hear how using age as a pejorative term

Mar 21, 2020, 12:29 AM

“O.K. Boomer” is a commonplace euphemism used amongst the youth at the moment. I’m 41
and my 13 year old replies it often to me. It’s not meant to be offensive. Just a “thing” like fidget spinners.

Mar 19, 2020, 5:59 PM

It's a moot point. DRad said in an interview this week that he and others in the Athletic Dept. love working with Brad--had nothing but praise for him. At this point, I'm anxious to see how it goes next year with the players he has coming in.

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Mar 19, 2020, 8:29 PM

I’ve heard it’s mute point, mute, lol!!!

It’s a moo point.

Mar 19, 2020, 9:22 PM

It’s like a cow’s opinion. It doesn’t matter. It’s moo.

The fact that in retrospect, those guys may have been

Mar 19, 2020, 10:23 PM

wrong for Clemson, has no bearing whatsoever on whether or not Brownell is the right one.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: The fact that in retrospect, those guys may have been

Mar 20, 2020, 7:30 AM

wrong for Clemson, has no bearing whatsoever on whether or not Brownell is the right one.

Correct. I was not saying that Brownell is a better fit than any of those guys. Just thought it was interesting that those 3 aren't doing so well at their current jobs.

It's weird that so many on here are defending Smart so adamantly on here.

Gregg Marshall has coached at Wichita State for 13 seasons

Mar 20, 2020, 9:21 AM

He hasn't won less than 22 games since his 2nd year there. His first 6 years at that school were really impressive results year over year:

Year 1 - No post season play
Year 2 - CBI 2nd Round
Year 3 - NIT first round
Year 4 - NIT Champion
Year 5 - NCAAT round of 64
Year 6 - Final Four

In the last 13 seasons they have made the NCAA Tournament 7 times, won the NIT once and made it to the NIT semi-final once. Prior to Marshall taking over there, Wichita State had only made the tournament one time in the previous 19 seasons.

So I think it's a major stretch to say he isn't doing so well at his current job.

Message was edited by: GWPTiger®

Re: Wichita State "success"

Mar 20, 2020, 10:00 AM

Yeah, but....

Yeah, but...

Yeah, but....the Shockers win BY PLAYING DEFENSE!

They cut off passing lanes, they take charges, they make steals, they reach a hand in, they get called for lots of fouls, they frequently get outscored at the free throw line, they mess up the other team's offensive rhythm--so, according to Tnet, they should play in front of an empty gym, because 'fans' are disgusted by ugly games.

Mar 20, 2020, 2:52 PM

Do you realize how many players have transferred since Brownell has been in charge? Lol really?

Mar 20, 2020, 2:56 PM

Do you realize how many players have transferred since Brownell has been in charge? Lol really?

When has Brownell had 6 transfers in 2 weeks? When has Brownell had 6 over the span of 2 years?

Not quite sure why you are trying to compare the two?

Didn’t you know? Brownell has more transfers than anyone

Mar 20, 2020, 4:25 PM

else in the history of sports. He also knows less about offense, defense, free throw shooting, and recruiting than anyone. It's amazing he's still employed considering how awful he is.

Re: Did you you know? Brownell has more transfers than anyone

Mar 21, 2020, 12:32 AM

What DID you eat?? Lighting this gas may ignite the greater Oconee area ablaze.

Replies: 115
| visibility 5,749
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic