Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Satellite TV Tailgating Question
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 51

Satellite TV Tailgating Question

Aug 20, 2013, 10:31 PM

At our tailgate we're going to be using a portable Direct TV satellite receiver and small television that comes with it. What I need is a new inverter and battery, but I am not sure of the voltage it needs. Does anyone know the proper voltage needed for powering up a receiver and small television?

Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it will tell you on the TV and the receiver.

Aug 20, 2013, 11:01 PM

I would recommend buying a little used honda generator.

Re: Satellite TV Tailgating Question

Aug 21, 2013, 12:47 AM

A350 watt inverter would be fine but you can get a 750 for not much more. I've used both to run a 32" tv and sat box and both worked fine buy I doubt one battery will last you all day. You can get a generator from blueridge electric much cheaper than a Honda.

Aug 21, 2013, 1:10 AM

It's wattage you're looking for, not voltage. You can find how much your TV pulls by looking on the back label. For example, I have a 40 inch LED that pulls only 48 watts, but I bought it with that in mind
On average, a good Deep Charge marine battery will,last 4-8 hours. Like someone else said, 1 battery will probably not last the entire day I always take 2.
The other alternative is a generator, but that has hassles as well- like taking gas.
If you stick with batteries, be careful about the charger as well. A slow trickle charger is best, but it takes longer to charge, so no waiting till Friday night to get ready!
Good luck. It's worth the extra work to have TV

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 21, 2013, 1:44 AM

Could you use battery cables to charge the battery up after 4 or 5 hours, and if you can how long would it take to recharge from you're car. Thanks!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yes, but I would remove the load from the battery

Aug 21, 2013, 7:43 AM

before connecting the cables. Hard to say how long it would take to charge the battery. My guess, 30 minutes to an hour would get you through the day.

Buy **DEEP CYCLE BATTERIES**

Aug 21, 2013, 8:03 AM

All deep cycle batteries are 12V. The volts don't matter (as mentioned above by someone else). Most small LCD TV's pull only 40 watt and the directv receiver about the same. I have a 1000 watt inverter (overkill, but it was on sale at Harbor Freight a few years ago when I was shopping). It's come in handy though because we have rope lighting and a fan which both pull much more power than the tv setup.

There are two main types of batteries. Cranking batteries are made to provide a lot of power all at once (when you start your car for instance). Deep cycle batteries are designed to provide smaller amounts of power, but for longer periods of time. This is what you want. They also come as "Groups". The higher the number, the longer the battery will last before it dies. You will also need to purchase a trickle charger. This will charge your deep cycle battery properly so it lasts years and years. It will take 2-3 days to fully recharge each battery though so plan accordingly.

We have two group 29 deep cycle batteries. With just the tv/directv box, we get 8+ hours from each battery. With a fan or rope lighting, it's only about 3-4 hours each.

Generators are expensive, require gas, and with the exception of really expensive models, are loud. Batteries with an inverter are relatively inexpensive, silent, and require no gas or exhaust.

Pricing: Inverter $100 Batteries $100/each Charger $50. Wires to connect battery to inverter, $5. $255 total for silent, gas free power every week. I will never understand why people buy generators.

Good luck with your setup and Go Tigers!

Very good assessment and I agree completely***

Aug 21, 2013, 8:59 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Where do you get this stuff?

Aug 21, 2013, 8:13 AM

Sounds like a great set up!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am a bitter and angry man.

Re: Where do you get this stuff?

Aug 21, 2013, 11:04 AM

It's pretty awesome. It looks like a briefcase. The actual case is the dish receiver and what's inside it is the television. Below is a link that describes it.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=z11&d=directv-sat-go-portable-all-in-one-satellite-dish-receiver-and-tv-(z11)&sku=8546300018

Absolutely no generators! Have some consideration for the

Aug 21, 2013, 9:05 AM

people that tailgate around you. Nobody wants to listen to that crap all day long.

Get a deep cycle battery from WalMart. I got the biggest they had a couple yrs ago and its still going strong. Get a 400 watt inverter, or more if you want to run more gadgets. I run a 37" LCD TV and a satellite reciever and it's great. It lasts for over 12 hours. After a 12 hour day I take it home and start charging it, the charger always reads over 50% capacity left. You'll have about $150 total invested in the battery and inverter. Another $50 for a decent deep cycle charger. It's quiet and pollution free.

Thanks everyone for the feedback! Much appreciated!!!!***

Aug 21, 2013, 11:01 AM

Replies: 11
| visibility 51
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic