Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Safety issues on the hill. Seriously!?!?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Safety issues on the hill. Seriously!?!?

Oct 10, 2017, 10:31 AM

Am I correct that I read that the changes to hill seating stem from that fact that there were several injuries on the hill during the Notre Dame game in 2015?

So you are telling me that during a game played in tropical storm rains of epic proportions that fans standing on a steep grassy incline may have caused a few fans to slip or fall and hurt themselves?

Why did this surprise people and what does that game have to do with the other 99% of Clemson football games that will not be played during 1000 year storms? During that game there were people bogging down in the mud in the grass lots. The administration didn't reduce the number of people parking in the those lots in future seasons because it was a (hopefully) once in a lifetime occurrence.

Making any changes to future policies based on events that took place during that game makes absolutely no sense! If they want to reduce fans no The Hill for the next game we play during a tropical storm then I am all for it. Until then, go back to filling The Hill and showing the country what makes Clemson special on game days!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Safety issues on the hill. Seriously!?!? Too many

Oct 10, 2017, 10:54 AM

lawyers. Not enough ambulances. Sadly the world in which we live

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

don't forget helicopter parents

Oct 10, 2017, 11:01 AM

they play a significant role in how the current student generation behaves.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Safety issues on the hill. Seriously!?!? Too many

Oct 10, 2017, 11:04 AM [ in reply to Re: Safety issues on the hill. Seriously!?!? Too many ]

3 guesses where all the lawyers in the state went to school. 2 don't count.

Well since there is only one

Oct 10, 2017, 11:40 AM

law school in SC except for the Charleston School of Law that has only been there for 6 years and is not very good, I would say the U of Scar? Nothing wrong with going to Clemson to get an education and South Carolina to learn a trade ;)

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Unless your trade is

Oct 10, 2017, 12:34 PM

stealing from people.

Double Aught, Double Aught ain't gonna like this.***

Oct 10, 2017, 3:43 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

When was a lawsuit filed over the Hill?***

Oct 10, 2017, 3:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Safety issues on the hill. Seriously!?!? Too many ]

Re: Safety issues on the hill. Seriously!?!?

Oct 10, 2017, 10:58 AM

Clemson absolutely should get rid of intramural sports. Rolled ankles, inadvertent elbows to the face. Oh the inhumanity.

I agree with you in part but I see it differently....

Oct 10, 2017, 11:07 AM

I agree with your statements about just slipping but the greater issue with the crowd there in my mind is with being at the bottom of the hill when the crowd surges forward at the end of the game to rush the field. My seats are in section K next to the band. Where I'm sitting, I can stare down the back line of the endzone by the Hill. There have been many close games including the Notre Dame game where I have seen the crowd pinning the students against the fence. I recall telling my wife that someones gonna die like the Hillsboro disaster (96 died):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6kAtdwNJ5s

That's an extreme example, The Army Navy game a few years back is a better example of what could happen at Clemson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBqyJPGZcdc

I think they could strike a happy medium with safety and filling the hill.

"The one who thinks we can and the one who thinks we can't are both right! Which one are you, son? Which one are you, son?"

I get that

Oct 10, 2017, 11:21 AM

but why would that game be the main reference point?

There have been many other huge games but they chose the game where the conditions for standing on The Hill were absolutely horrible. If they said they are trying to reduce risk of injury due to overcrowding in general then I would understand better. Using the Notre Dame game as the injuries that caused the reasoning just doesn't make as much sense in terms of making a policy for all home games.

watch the hill after Marcus Edmunds INT at 2:46:44

Oct 10, 2017, 11:51 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3L5q59PZBw

"The one who thinks we can and the one who thinks we can't are both right! Which one are you, son? Which one are you, son?"

Re: watch the hill after Marcus Edmunds INT at 2:46:44

Oct 10, 2017, 12:22 PM

I watched all the way from the start of the last play until the start of the Dabo interview. Yes there are tons of people moving down The Hill quickly to try to get on the field. In my opinion it looks like things moved smoothly (but it does take a while to empty the hill. and I did not see any major issues with what happened. I do see where someone could get hurt and thankfully it did not appear in the video that anyone did. I can't imagine it's ever any worse than a game that is won on the very last play so that NC State game should be about the worst that it gets in fair weather. I see no reason for all of the added fencing and security based on that video.

If the end of the game is the reason to reduce the number of people then maybe they could make the gate larger to allow more people to get out more quickly.

Little difference in structure...

Oct 10, 2017, 1:48 PM [ in reply to watch the hill after Marcus Edmunds INT at 2:46:44 ]

The walls at Hillsboro were like a cage; no way to get in or out. Serious life-threatening conditions

The wall at the bottom of the hill is what, 3 feet high?

Not trying to downplay safety here, it's just totally a case of apples to oranges

I never knew how horrible Hillsboro

Oct 10, 2017, 12:52 PM [ in reply to I agree with you in part but I see it differently.... ]

Really was. 96? That's a lot more than the worst mass shooting in US history. Can't imagine the horror in the stadium that day

Re: I never knew how horrible Hillsboro

Oct 10, 2017, 12:59 PM

The worst part was the English Ronald Reagan leaked fake stories to the press claiming the Liverpool fans were urinating on the dead bodies of their own fans.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

wasn't hilsborough the same place where they managed

Oct 10, 2017, 1:41 PM [ in reply to I agree with you in part but I see it differently.... ]

to barbecue several hundred fans alive because they had wooden stands and were using the ground below as a kind of rubbish bin for 40 years' worth of rubbish?

Re: I agree with you in part but I see it differently....

Oct 10, 2017, 2:17 PM [ in reply to I agree with you in part but I see it differently.... ]

This. The aforementioned Hillsboro incident is now synonymous with tragedy, and the stigma will be forever present. God forbid a similar incident leaving such a dark cloud over beloved University.

Hillsborough

Oct 10, 2017, 2:40 PM

is still a functioning stadium where 2nd division team Sheffield Wednesday plays. But they got rid of the standing room only area, as did most big english stadiums did

Clemson should worry more about the safety issues

Oct 10, 2017, 11:47 AM

Cat Bus drivers seem to be causing.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Oct 10, 2017, 12:32 PM

Solid point. It's a non-issue excuse.

All of this stuff started here:

https://www.tigernet.com/story/football/Students-to-be-charged-for-lower-deck-football-tickets-14751

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Attended the 100th Clemson vs. USC game on a broken ankle from 8 hours earlier. Got a recliner in the endzone for the 100th game...it was worth it. Story in Profile.

Oct 10, 2017, 1:22 PM

There is probably something to this line of thought. I am not usually a conspiracy theorist but I can't imagine anyone actually thought all of these changes would work well.

Money, I'm sure, is always a factor but I'm telling you,

Oct 10, 2017, 3:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Safety issues on the hill. Seriously!?!? ]

I sit in Section K and stare down the back side of the hill endzone. This is what I have observed:
when its a big time game, and it comes down to the wire, the students all surge forward to rush the field.

When there is a lapse in time between when the game is decided on a big defensive stop
i.e. 2015 Notre Dame 2 point conversion with 8 seconds left on the clock (Boulware, Watkins, etc) or 2016 Louisville with 33 seconds on the clock (Marcus Edmonds) the crowd will surge but then something else will have to take place before the end of the game; in the case of Notre Dame an onsides kick attempt, in the case of Louisville, a review of the spot of the tackle out of bounds of Quick and then Deshaun had to take a knee. Look at this video at this mark and look at the people trapped between the middle and side gates of the hill. They've been there since Edmonds tackled Quick with all those thousands of people pressing them against the gate. I've seen this close up not from a blimp.

2:56:54
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6RkrDcm3ac&pbjreload=10

Oct 10, 2017, 3:34 PM

We need to make it clear to IPTAY that if the stadium experience is degraded by trying to pump more ticket revenue out of fans under the auspices of "improved safety" then IPTAY donations will suffer. If safety is more important than stadium atmosphere, people can watch it on TV.

What is Tanner Muse doing on The Hill?***

Oct 10, 2017, 3:50 PM

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic