Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Sad day for the Bourbon lovers on the bored
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Sad day for the Bourbon lovers on the bored

Oct 8, 2019, 11:13 AM
IMG_0046.JPG(95.5 K)

Sipped one of the best Bourbon's I have ever had last night. As a long time lover, I feel jilted by Kentucky! To pricey for my everyday consumption, but now on top of my list for special occasions. Double Barreled Gold and it's from Tennessee

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

Re: Sad day for the Bourbon lovers on the bored

Oct 8, 2019, 11:18 AM

JD isn’t bourbon. HTH

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^ Right..

Oct 8, 2019, 11:30 AM

I saw the word WHISKEY!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ^ Right..

Oct 8, 2019, 11:33 AM

All bourbon is whiskey but not all whiskey is bourbon. Cheers! ??

Man, this stuff is too complicated. Glad all beer is beer.

Oct 8, 2019, 1:02 PM

Though some beers are more beer than others. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 8, 2019, 1:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Sad day for the Bourbon lovers on the bored ]

Noodle said:

JD isn’t bourbon. HTH

So that's why it taste better...….so now I know

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer

Oct 8, 2019, 1:08 PM

https://www.foodandwine.com/cocktails-spirits/whisky/whats-difference-between-scotch-and-bourbon

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 8, 2019, 1:43 PM [ in reply to Re: Sad day for the Bourbon lovers on the bored ]

JD technically is bourbon, they just choose not to call it that and brand it as Tennessee whiskey

Oct 8, 2019, 2:19 PM

You’re right. The filtering they do Is unique and doesn’t fit with other bourbons.

Well not to get super techinical, but

Oct 8, 2019, 2:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Sad day for the Bourbon lovers on the bored ]

It's actually different in that JD and Dickel (both Tennessee whiskies) are filtered through sugar maple charcoal (to meet the Tennessee whiskey requirements), while most bourbons that are filtered through charcoal (not all are filtered) are just filtered through activated charcoal. The difference being that the activated charcoal imparts no flavor to the bourbon, while the sugar maple charcoal does impart flavor to JD and Dickel.

Re: Well not to get super techinical, but

Oct 8, 2019, 2:25 PM

Dropping knowledge over here, nice.

I’ll add that Pritchard’s is the other big Tennessee Whiskey distillery, and they do the same.

They want it branded Tennessee Whiskey and not Kentucky Bourbon, and have unique parts of their distilling processes to ensure such.

Source: Toured all three and spend a week vacationing in Tennessee with Dad. Trust me, we ensured we consumed enough product that week to either know what we’re talking about, or at least be drunk enough not to know how wrong we were...

Message was edited by: CtLiEgMeSrOsN®

Re: Well not to get super techinical, but

Oct 8, 2019, 3:27 PM [ in reply to Well not to get super techinical, but ]

The other major difference is Tennessee Whiskey is filtered through the sugar maple charcoal before it's aged in barrels. This may add some flavor but I suspect it alters the clear liquor only slightly, but whatever it does gets amplified as the whiskey ages in barrels.

Charcoal filtered bourbons are filtered after aging in barrels just before being bottled. This is filtering removes oils and fatty acids, which take flavor and viscosity too. It creates a smoother experience, but flavor and mouthfeel suffer IMO.

Oct 8, 2019, 9:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Sad day for the Bourbon lovers on the bored ]

It is, but J.D. won the legal fight to not have to call it bourbon.

Oct 9, 2019, 1:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Sad day for the Bourbon lovers on the bored ]

Right!

Oct 8, 2019, 12:45 PM

JD's special releases and single barrel offerings can be as good or better than the best Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskeys. No reason to be sad. It's not an either or proposition it's both and. If you can track down a bottle of a special release from JD last year called Heritage Barrel you need to. It's stellar.

Oct 8, 2019, 12:50 PM

I’ve never understood the lack of love for JD.

I’ve always thought of Black Label No. 7 as an outstanding product for what it is.

And one trip to that distillery in the hills of Tennessee will up your appreciation level. I have great respect for that company and town after my visit there.

Edit: And, also, yes to the others. True Bourbon is from Kentucky. True Scotch is from Scotland. Otherwise it’s just whiskey.

Message was edited by: CtLiEgMeSrOsN®

Oct 8, 2019, 12:56 PM

You're drinking Bourbon and you are bored?

Oct 8, 2019, 1:50 PM

Is that a space suit in the back?

Not for space travel

Oct 8, 2019, 9:03 PM

Pizzy said:

Is that a space suit in the back?

Its a survival suit I was issued for some time I spent above the artic circle. Never had to use it, so can't guarantee it would do it's job...….24hrs in 30 degree water.

monter le cheval de fer

Oct 8, 2019, 8:37 PM

Good thread 2k! I learned a lot from all the comments!

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Oct 8, 2019, 9:15 PM

George Dickel #12 is my favorite.

What do you bourbon guys think of Benchmark Old #8

Oct 8, 2019, 9:17 PM

for an inexpensive bourbon? I'm certainly not an expert, but a friend offered me some recently, and I thought it was pretty good.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 8, 2019, 11:05 PM

Sour mash is not real bourbon

Re: Widow Jane out of NY

Oct 9, 2019, 8:07 AM

Makes an incredible bourbon and I believe water comes from Kentucky so it’s allowed to be called that.

Oct 9, 2019, 1:09 PM
Nearest.jpg(122.0 K)

Let me a Tennessee Whiskey that I was introduced to at the Texas A and M game. My Nephew who we invited to the game brought a bottle of Uncle Nearest 1856 which I had never seen or tasted. It is very good. I strongly suggest you give it a try. We had a bunch of AM fans sipping and everyone enjoyed! It is the real deal.

^^VERY good

Oct 9, 2019, 9:00 PM
1856.jpg(210.3 K)
1884.jpg(191.8 K)

I was at a bourbon (and BBQ) festival in Franklin TN (outside of Nashville) at the end of August, and Uncle Nearest was one of the 15 distilleries there. Interesting back-story, highly recommend looking it up.

The 2 Uncle Nearest offerings were my favorite out of probably 20 I tried. Unfortunately, they weren't selling there. They were also a tad above half the price of my next favorite, so not a bad deal.

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic