Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Saban vs The Bear?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

Saban vs The Bear?

Jan 9, 2018, 8:14 AM

I have to give Saban the nod as being the better all time coach in this inevitable comparison. The main reason I rate him higher is that, much like Richard Petty in Nascar, Bear Bryant won his titles back in the era when there was not exactly a level playing field. By that I mean that a great portion of the talent that could have beaten Bryants teams was dressed out and standing on his own sideline, since this was before the days of the 85 scholarship limit. Who knows how many All Americans never even saw the field back then, since they were stacked behind other talent at Alabama. At least Saban has to oversign and cull to get down to 85 on scholarship every year, just like his contemporaries. For that reason alone, I give him the edge. (Also, now, in the modern era, his teams have to win more games ON the field to accomplish this as well.)

(Apologies to the Fellowship of the Houndstooth, who think that no one, no where, no way, no how, will ever surpass the Bear.)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Saban vs The Bear?

Jan 9, 2018, 8:43 AM

Saban also won his six NC's quicker than Bear did. I expect Saban will likely surpass Bear before he calls it quits...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree. Saban is coaching now against the nameless,

Jan 9, 2018, 8:46 AM

faceless, future coach who at some point down the road may surpass his own records.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He will pass the Bear UNLESS

Jan 9, 2018, 9:39 AM [ in reply to Re: Saban vs The Bear? ]

Like Tiger Woods, chasing the Golden Bear, he develops a penchant for Waffle House waitresses.

Time will tell. Congrats on the new trophy.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WL

Re: Saban vs The Bear?

Jan 9, 2018, 8:45 AM

yes, but the Bear did it without social media, the internet, and a video camera in everyone's phone.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wait, wut, phones have cameras? WTH?

Jan 9, 2018, 8:48 AM

:)

Point for Saban??

Jan 9, 2018, 8:50 AM [ in reply to Re: Saban vs The Bear? ]

Not sure whether you meant this as a point for Bear or Saban. Yes, the Bear might not have had the luxury of some of these things, but he also avoided all of the negative consequences that comes with them too. I'd say that coaching was easier before any player could jump on Twitter and cause some major drama.

Also, didn't Bear have like 100+ scholarship players? I believe he used the other sports programs' scholarships to get even more football players, IIRC.

Saban is the better coach and it probably isn't that close. Bear won in a time that was far easier to win in than the present.

Snowflake Basher........Out

Re: Point for Saban??

Jan 9, 2018, 10:01 AM

point being that saban has every tool in the arsenal to land the top players at Bama, tools that were not around 50 years ago.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Saban and it's not even close.

Jan 9, 2018, 9:07 AM

He is winning in a more difficult time, in a more dominant manner and against much more diverse and talented opponents.

Bear's 6 national titles are not legit either. That was a time that the National Champion was a popularity contest and was even given out before the bowl games early in his career. His 1964 natty was given out before the bowl game, which he lost, so they "shared" the national championship that year with Arkansas. 1973 was split, even though they LOST their bowl game. 1978 was split.

So he only had 3 legitimate national titles. (although there was one year they should have been the national champions behind 2 teams that fricken tied).

Let's also remember that for a good portion of his coaching career, they were still playing segregated teams.

Saban > Bear.

Snowflake Basher........Out

The Bear had more class and his players reflected it.

Jan 9, 2018, 9:55 AM

But Saban definitely has excelled more for all the reasons already given.

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic