Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson Football--At a Crossroads
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 43
| visibility 1

Clemson Football--At a Crossroads

Dec 1, 2013, 9:19 AM

Clemson University has a very serious decision to make. Do they want the Tigers to win 10 games or so per year by beating up second class opponents and continually (with a few, very few exceptions)lose to better teams with far superior coaching. That is the decision to be made.
Clemson football is an event at home with great family friendly traditions--the rock, Tiger walk, the intense cheering, etc. etc. Our facilities may not be the absolute best but they certainly are in the top 10 in the country and getting better all the time.Our coaches are clearly over matched in many, many games and the players are not hard ribbed football players. Why?
Performance on game day mirrors what happens in practice. I have not been to a practice but I would bet anything they are simply far too easy, not tough enough and too short. Readers, this is a complete failure of this inexperienced coaching staff! Dabo ( a terrific recruiter who brings many 4 star level players here) fails to realize ALL of the responsibilities of a head coach, OC Morris is simply out to lunch without a clue and DC Venables is only a small step ahead of Morris. The last 2 need to be fired immediately IF the Tiger fans have aspirations of a top 10 program because this program is not top ten and may be not even top 20. Don't let all those wins fool you.
Someone needs to educate Dabo on what a head coach is supposed to do. The mistakes---both physical and mental-- were so numerous against the coots that it would take pages to list them. This does not even address the FSU game. Dabo is a nice guy and great recruiter but I am afraid that unless he "toughens" up himself and passes that on to his players, we will continue on the path that we are now on--mediocrity at best!
The ACC is weak and we lose to far superior coached teams. I know we beat LSU last year on a 1 in a hundred pass that kept a drive alive.
Dabo is a great ambassador for Clemson, a gentleman of the first order but at this point he is not a capable head coach because he lacks the game prep skills, the psychological understanding of high level competition, andd he does not understand that he is the BOO the MAIN MAN--however you want to put it.
Absent the changes I've outlined this program goes no further and you can take that to the bank. If the University decided to go "all in" I would try and hire Bill Cowher as a coaching consultant charged with correcting the mistakes noted, bringing in better assistant coaches, educating Dabo and toughening up this program. Many of you are no doubt offended by these statements but please do not take it personal. The job is not getting done and the progress in the last 4 years has been minimal at best even with the 10 wins, victory of LSU, etc.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson Football--At a Crossroads

Dec 1, 2013, 9:24 AM

You are over-reacting!!

Clemson is better now than at any point since 1990

However SCAR is just a National Powerhouse now!!

We just have to take the gloves off, roll up the sleeves and catch up!!

Plain and Simple

SCar is beating everybody... They are better than 99% of all of College Football Things will change and sooner than you think!! We just have to Fight On!!!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 1, 2013, 9:26 AM

Just my opinion,while I agree with most of what you say,
you do not bring in a Bill Cowher as some sort of
coaching consultant.
You either bring him as a new HC,or you live with the man that was hired five years ago.

Dec 1, 2013, 9:27 AM

You guys make me laugh...

Dec 1, 2013, 9:42 AM

Clemson has lost 5 in a row to South Carolina because they have gone through a period of coaching transition and South Carolina has found a quality football coach who has made gains in recruiting.
(partly because of Clemson's coaching transition)

Now some want to consider a new coaching staff? really...

Hopefully, Clemson will retain the current coaching staff and continue to improve other aspects of their program that will improve recruiting so that they will sign the Gurleys, Clowneys, that they missed on in the past. and they won't have to try to win games with glaring weaknesses on their roster. (O-Line & RB - this year)

It's all about recruiting, (depth) & executing. (especially when the pressure is on and it matters the most) I've been impressed with Dabo's ability to recognize top talent, convince them to come to Clemson, and prepare them for careers beyond Clemson. Hopefully, he will continue to find ways to improve where we need to after the season and have a top recruiting class.

Dec 1, 2013, 9:44 AM

I like your comments and agree except that Dabo has no idea about game prep nor do his OC and DC. Until he learns the deeper parts of coaching we will not win in games that really matter to our program.

Dec 1, 2013, 9:47 AM

I think he does understand game prep.

I think his teams have struggled against the best competition. (and that's natural)

At least they are now winning all the other games.

Now, it's time to beat the best teams on the schedule too.

Dec 1, 2013, 9:54 AM

Don't mean to be rude but when you see what I see in the first Clemson drive yesterday. it tells me he is not in control of this team. Knowing that we've laid an egg the last 4 years against the coots there is no way the Sammy pass should have been called. We were running the ball down their throat. Keep doing it. Save the trickery for later, much later if needed.
Morris should have been told--no trick lays until I approve them. Ultimately the buck stops with the HC!
I could go on for another 20-30 major mistakes but no sense in being a bore.

I thought the Crossroads was where you go to sell your soul?

Dec 1, 2013, 10:04 AM

I think some on here would do that though.

Auburn just hired a new HC and DC and they...

Dec 1, 2013, 10:06 AM [ in reply to Re: Clemson Football--At a Crossroads ]

just beat their rival (who is leagues better than our rival). Isn't that a coaching transition?

Re: Auburn just hired a new HC and DC and they...

Dec 1, 2013, 10:17 AM

Auburn cheats to get their talent

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 1, 2013, 9:32 AM [ in reply to Re: Clemson Football--At a Crossroads ]

Hey Guys,

We fired a guy last year who we thought was our weakest link on our coaching staff and that guy was hired by the Auburn Tigers....That same guy, yesterday was the catalyst behind what will become the most famous play in College Football History....

Coach Cheese is Auburns treasure now and we fired him!

Firing Coaches isnt always the answer.. Lets got to work!!

Dabo has more fight in him than you guys have..I hope!!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 1, 2013, 9:37 AM [ in reply to Re: Clemson Football--At a Crossroads ]

I agree just was floating an "idea"!

Dec 1, 2013, 9:28 AM

Unfortunately it looks like we have plateaued....we are a top 20 program, I have to agree there is an element of meanness and preparation that seems to be missing....I think that Morris is not near the problem that Caldwell is...and there is a reason we always do not play well or we have a ton of mistakes when we get beat. It was great to beat UGA but to lose to USC and FSU the way we did really puts a damper on the season. The irony of last night is we still might be in the Orange and Spurrier will be in the Champs...Like Red Parker said one time he wanted linebackers that were so mean he had to bail them out of jail before kickoff...that is the mentality that needs to be instilled in our players which seems to be lacking and was what Charlie Pell brought to the table in the 1970s

I agree

Saban lost to his top 10 ranked rival yesterday

Dec 1, 2013, 9:29 AM

Is BAMA at a crossroads?

How can we beat up on the ACC teams and then beat up on ourselves for beating them? BAMA didn't beat a team that was better than them this year. Planar was favored in every game, and lost one. We were underdogs in three games, and won one. We need to keep winning the ones we should win, and win more of the ones we shouldn't.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Planar" = BAMA

Dec 1, 2013, 9:32 AM

Don't know what happened there

What a ridiculous argument. Saban is not 0-5 as HC vs AU.

Dec 1, 2013, 9:38 AM [ in reply to Saban lost to his top 10 ranked rival yesterday ]

nm

Question=Argument?

Dec 1, 2013, 9:43 AM

Please help me understand what crossroads we are at.

Re: Question=Argument?

Dec 1, 2013, 9:49 AM

It is very simple. We can beat virtually all outmanned opponents because we have better talent. We have not won against the higher caliber teams on any consistent basis because we still have some talent gap but our coaching is atrocious and in particular game day prep and coaching!
I like and respect Dabo but he just may not be the guy long term here. Until I see a return to football and not gimmicks, I say we will not win in games where we should at least be able to put on a respectable presentation.
Our OC and DC are not getting the job done. Forget the 10 win stuff. That's all hype against weaker teams.
The crossroads is this: Is the University prepared to do what needs to be done to take us to the top 10 level or are they/we content with replays of this season.

So let me get this straight

Dec 1, 2013, 9:59 AM

We should expect to beat the teams that are better than us on a regular basis, but the teams that are worse than us should never expect to beat us? So what are our options at tis crossroads we find ourselves sitting at?

BAMA lost to an underdog
SC lost to an underdog
MIZZOU lost to an underdog
CLEMSON did not

Re: So let me get this straight

Dec 1, 2013, 10:14 AM

For the last time. Occasionally, you will lose to an opponent who is not as talented as you. The fact is this Clemson program is not even competitive in some of these games and loses most. Our OC scheme works well against outmanned teams but poorly against well coached teams.
Have you ever coached at a high level? apparently not because we are constantly getting outcoached against the better teams. Sorry to rain on your parade but that is a fact.

Georgia and LSU say hey

You say constantly, I say occasionally

They are better teams for a reason, coach

So Dab0-5 and Morris can barely squeak by good teams...

Dec 1, 2013, 10:26 AM

whenever they have a month or an entire off season to prepare. They have not shown this ability during the regular season after only a week's worth of preparation.

Re: So Dab0-5 and Morris can barely squeak by good teams...

Dec 1, 2013, 10:30 AM

Amen. Thank you for getting it!

Ok...back to the original post

Dec 1, 2013, 10:43 AM

We are at a crossroads. I what turn(s) would you make to get us on the right path? If you say "fire the coaches", then whom would you replace them with? If you say "ditch the system", then what system would you install.

I am not a fan of "system" football myself. I dislike "gimmicky" offense. I am not a fan of giving up chunk plays, or repeatedly giving beat by the same play again and again. But as you have astutely pointed out, I am no coach, and I never played college football. So give me your answers.

I will continue to be a fan. A CLEMSON fan. Whether we lose 15 in a row to the Coots or go another 20 years without an ACC title. If that makes me "soft" or "dumb", then you have already called me out for it.

You are angry. I get it. I am, too. I just don't pretend to have all of the answers. All I can do to contribute is to continue to pull for my team.

Would love to see a reasoned response instead of more insults and attacks, but attack if you like. I am done with this thread.

Re: Georgia and LSU say hey

Dec 1, 2013, 10:29 AM [ in reply to Georgia and LSU say hey ]

Take away the last pass to Nuke in the LSU game and we probably lose. Against Georgia, we played well. There is a difference and our talent is not totally to blame. If you believe that our coaching is up there with the elite programs, well you're entitled to your opinion but IMO you simply are simply looking at our program thru rose colored glasses. The OC and DC are in way over their heads and clueless. Go back and read what football people said about hiring Venables---your D will get better but not fixed by a stable system. That is a mouthful

Re: Saban lost to his top 10 ranked rival yesterday

Dec 1, 2013, 9:40 AM [ in reply to Saban lost to his top 10 ranked rival yesterday ]

they won 2 national titles in a row! Your statements are what is wrong with the fans! Too soft, not demanding enough and clueless about where we really are

Which statement?

Dec 1, 2013, 9:46 AM

That BAMA lost yesterday?
That we need to keep winning every game we are favored in?
That we need to win more of the ones we aren't favored in?

Sorry for being so soft. Screw you, blowhard. Thanks for joining 5 months ago.

Re: Which statement?

Dec 1, 2013, 9:59 AM

I think the very same about you! you are clueless and ignorant! Have a nice day and go read football basics for dummies.

Go read reality for dummies

Dec 1, 2013, 10:01 AM

In your world Saban should be fired

Re: Go read reality for dummies

Dec 1, 2013, 10:06 AM

not exactly but you stay as dumb as you are. you're a real treat!

Attack those who disagree with you

Dec 1, 2013, 10:14 AM

I still disagree. You have irrational expectations. That is a YOU problem.

Re: Saban lost to his top 10 ranked rival yesterday

Dec 1, 2013, 10:38 AM [ in reply to Re: Saban lost to his top 10 ranked rival yesterday ]

These comments are extremely entertaining! Please keep it up!

Dec 1, 2013, 9:37 AM

BV has done a commendable job. He has done more with less. The defense played well enough to win. Even in the FSU game I thought they kept it close for a while had our offense been able to do anything.

you must be kidding! Shaw ran the QB draw at least 10 times without a single stop for no gain or a loss and Venables was clueless about how to defend it. That was his job. Game set match.

Dec 1, 2013, 9:55 AM

u r so right and 3 yrs running. even though shaw didn't play last yr, it was the same play. did the defense really play good enough to win? turn just 2 of the scar td's into field goals and it's a different game. even spurlid was laughing about it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Some people. At least we will have room on the bandwagon.***

Dec 1, 2013, 9:54 AM

Dec 1, 2013, 9:55 AM

First of all, I agree the ACC is weak but look at the SEC they are really not as strong as most think. How can two teams with such horrific records one year suddenly turn their program around and play for the SEC championship the next year? We are on the same level as South Carolina. There are something in between the ears that is the problem. The coaching staff put our players in position to win the ballgame and we choked. The major problem I have with the coaching was the play selection in that first drive. Morris has a habit of trying to be too cute and that interception killed us. Once SoCarolina scored on their first drive, it put pressure on us to score every time we had the ball. If we had taken the ball down and scored on that drive, SoCarolina would have had the pressure on them. Idiotic play call. Other than that we have a fairly slow LB having to shadow Conner Shaw who is very fast and we let him beat us. Got to give him credit, he took what we gave him and we turn the ball over 6 times. A great team would have put us away fairly early but until the fumble on that last punt, we still were very much in the game.

What does it tell you that a #6 team is the underdog to the #10 team?

It tells you it's a evenly matched game on your home field.

Dec 1, 2013, 10:31 AM

####.

Dec 1, 2013, 10:19 AM [ in reply to Re: Clemson Football--At a Crossroads ]

That excuse of the trick play was why Clemson lost is laughable. It was tied 17 to 17 in the 4th quarter!

Dabo is always talking about players reaching the next level

Dec 1, 2013, 10:35 AM

Look in the mirror, coach.

Dabo has made us the 2nd best team in the ACC

Dec 1, 2013, 11:01 AM

Up from prob 3rd-4th under Bowden. Unfortunately we are the 2nd best in the state as well. I think Dabo has done a good job, but losing to SCum will not keep him around. If he goes 2 more years without beating SCum or winning the division, I say make a change.

Replies: 43
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic