Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
USA Today article on Big 12/ACC money
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

USA Today article on Big 12/ACC money

Jun 4, 2012, 3:53 PM

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/story/2012-06-04/florida-state-big-12-move-acc-money/55378824/1

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: USA Today article on Big 12/ACC money

Jun 4, 2012, 3:55 PM

great article....thanks for sharing

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree with everything except..

Jun 4, 2012, 4:16 PM

FSU returning to the Nat Champ. They won't get past us.

Go Tigers.

Re: I agree with everything except..

Jun 4, 2012, 4:24 PM

Interesting since the big x11 has stated that they are NOT looking to expand. This is a writer looking for a story. I hope he continues and hopefully it will greatly harm FSU's recruiting efforts ........ as it has ours.

SEC said that last year too***

Jun 4, 2012, 4:31 PM

Standard company reply, nothing more, nothing less.***

Jun 4, 2012, 4:52 PM [ in reply to Re: I agree with everything except.. ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Seems to be completely out of sync with the B12 meetings...

Jun 4, 2012, 4:27 PM

...and additionally left some very disturbing questions that I would like to have answered, namely: IF, and that is a BIG IF, the B12 decided to expand, how long will it take for a new member to become fully vested in the annual payouts? Four years? TCU & WVU are going to get 50% payouts until then? The article was ambiguous regarding some progressive payout beyond 50% to TCU & WVU.

That progressive payout would really extend the break even point for joining the B12, PARTICULARLY in light of the $20M exit fee for leaving the ACC!!! As has been asked repeatedly on this board, WHERE DOES THAT CASH COME FROM??? IPTAY?? I don't think so!!!

I'm pretty much finished reading these B12 expansion posts.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

Why can't it come from IPTAY?

Jun 4, 2012, 4:33 PM

They've got more than that in the bank, why sit on it if it could be used to better the program?

$20M is a lot of cash...back of the napkin looks like this..

Jun 4, 2012, 4:47 PM

Suppose the ACC payout is $19M/yr and the B12 is $25M/yr.

Difference of $6M/yr.

Assuming a vesting schedule of:

You're $20M in the red.

(1) 50% ==> 12.5M <== <$7M> delta loss from ACC payout
(2) 50% ==> 12.5M <== <$7M> "
(3) 75% ==> 19.0M <== 0
(4) 100% ==> 25.0M <== $6M
(5) <== $6M
(6) <== $6M
(7) <== $6M
(8) <== $6M
(9) <== %6M

Looks like 9 years to break even from the exit fee penalty.

Is this exit fee a loan from IPTAY to the university? Is this how IPTAY gets their money back? Or is it from more happy donors because of the bliss of being in the Big 12 and driving into a fly over zone in the middle of the country?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

Re: $20M is a lot of cash...back of the napkin looks like this..

Jun 4, 2012, 4:50 PM

And you didnt even figure in increased travel costs.

Go ahead and figure how much you could make or lose

Jun 4, 2012, 4:55 PM [ in reply to $20M is a lot of cash...back of the napkin looks like this.. ]

from the Clemson fanbase in donations and ticket sales.

That may drop off big once the ACC no longer provides Clemson a way to the MNC.

Message was edited by: AThomas®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Go ahead in figure how much you could make or lose

Jun 4, 2012, 4:58 PM

That's why the Big10 statement today was so significant. If they're okay with the top 4 teams being the playoff instead of conference champions then it doesnt really matter what conference you're in.

SOS?

Jun 4, 2012, 5:01 PM

Come on man.

Either way it is easy to cut the ACC teams out.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: SOS? RPI?

Jun 4, 2012, 5:02 PM

No way an undefeated, 13-0 ACC conference champion is left out of the playoffs. NO WAY. And when was the last time we had 5 undefeated teams at the end of the year?

There is so much money out there--a 10-1 LSU or Bama

Jun 4, 2012, 5:04 PM

team vs an undefeated Oklahoma team could just be voted tops over a Clemson team with a snap of the fingers--even if Clemson was 13-0.

Re: There is so much money out there--a 10-1 LSU or Bama

Jun 4, 2012, 5:07 PM

Couldnt happen. Wouldnt have happened last year if the slide hadnt happened after starting 8-0. Go back and look at where Clemson was in the polls after 8 weeks. Now add on 5 more wins and try and tell me they wouldnt be in the top 4. Its not even close.

We will have to agree to disagree.

Jun 4, 2012, 5:08 PM

Re: We will have to agree to disagree.

Jun 4, 2012, 5:12 PM

Here are the BCS standings after 8 weeks:

1 LSU
2 Alabama
3 Oklahoma
4 Oklahoma State
5 Boise State
6 Wisconsin
7 Clemson
8 Stanford
9 Arkansas
10 Oregon

You're telling me that Clemson doesnt climb 3 spots if they go undefeated knowing that every team ahead of them save LSU loses a game?

All of you guys are assuming one thing.

Jun 4, 2012, 5:34 PM

That everything will stay the same as it is right now. That NEVER happens. If Clemson, Fla State, Va Tech and maybe even a couple of other schools start winning some games, the ACC gains respect again. Respect equals points in the BCS formula. Period. I believe a move to the Big 12 has about an 50/50 chance of being a disaster as being a success. And I don't think I'm far off.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed but with a higher chance of being failure...

Jun 4, 2012, 5:51 PM

I'd say 75%/25%

Re: Go ahead in figure how much you could make or lose

Jun 4, 2012, 5:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Go ahead in figure how much you could make or lose ]

yes it does....because as it stands now we make significantly less than every other conference except the Big East....we can not compete when we can't keep up financially

That's a really, really bad article.

Jun 4, 2012, 5:28 PM

And I'm not just saying that because I disagree with his conclusions. It's just bad.

#1) He only considers money.
#2) Of that money, he only considers TV money.
#3) He does not account for travel (doesn't even mention it).
#4) He does not account for an exit fee (Not even "The Big 12 would probably help with...")
#5) He begins his argument by stating:

Oklahoma State President Burns Hargis announced last Friday that the Big 12 agreed to distribute $19 million to eight of its members to close out the 2011-12 fiscal year. Departing members Missouri and Texas A&M did not receive payouts; neither did incoming members TCU and West Virginia.

That's $4.9 million more than Florida State received this year as a member of the ACC.

$19 million to current Big 8 members - He doesn't even take into account the distribution of adding at least three more members (TCU, WVU and for his argument, FSU).

And his argument of "an extra $4.9 million per year" doesn't take into account the extra $1.7 million in extra travel costs (as estimated by FSU) and $20 million exit fee ($4 million per year if you spread it over the time before a potential renegotiation, making the extra money an actual loss).

I know the pro-Big 12 crew's impulse will be to explain to me why the money is actually really big to move, but please save your carpal-tunnel - I'm not looking for a dance partner in the Big12/ACC dance. I'm just pointing out how that is, in fact, a garbage story. I think these guys know that expansion stories are getting the "clicks" right now, so they're throwing anything against the wall.

null

The Big 12 would only pay FSU $10 million until around 2017

Jun 4, 2012, 5:53 PM

Though there are details yet to be worked out syncing the two contracts together, the payouts next year are expected to be $20 million for Big 12 schools. (TCU and West Virginia will only be given a 50-percent share and will not receive full shares until 2016.)

according to this article. WVU & TCU are only getting 50-percent until 2016, & they contracted into the Big 12 last year. Plus you add in the $20 Million + buyout.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic