Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I'm happy to see Mayor Pete get his turn
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 556

I'm happy to see Mayor Pete get his turn

Nov 20, 2019, 11:18 AM

its sad that the only thing holding him back are black homophobic Democrats.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm happy to see Mayor Pete get his turn

Nov 20, 2019, 12:00 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If all homophobic folks vote Democratic, Pubs in trouble_

Nov 20, 2019, 12:19 PM

In 2020. Don’ think either party has a monopoly on this segment of the population.

Granted, it is an interesting quirk in polling data that the Black community seems to be averse to the LGBTQ community.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Could be that being black and being gay are different

Nov 20, 2019, 12:54 PM

Could also be that this is more of a moral thing than an identity politics thing.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's interesting if you didn't grow up around a lot of...

Nov 20, 2019, 4:01 PM [ in reply to If all homophobic folks vote Democratic, Pubs in trouble_ ]

black folks. Fundamentally, the black community is Christian. Imo, across the board they have more confidence in scripture than whites.

It's America, if you don't believe homosexuality is right it's your right. If you don't vote for a homosexual for president because he's a homosexual it's still America and nothing prevents everyone from voting their beliefs.

In a general election I do not believe that being homosexual would play a major role but in a primary with 20 people running folks are apt to pick their favorite by process of elimination. Do the maff.

Sorry Pete, maybe run as a pub next time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's the most conservative guy in the field, including

Nov 20, 2019, 12:51 PM

Trump. Iron-knee.

SMH at somebody thinking this***

Nov 20, 2019, 12:52 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: SMH at somebody thinking this***

Nov 20, 2019, 1:00 PM

I dunno.

How conservative is Trump really?

I will grant you he's a reactionary, but he's not a conservative. In fact Trump was a registered Democrat for the first 60+ years of his life.

Is there really a Party of Reagan-type conservative left anywhere anymore?

I was more disagreeing with the statement about Buttigieg

Nov 20, 2019, 1:22 PM

He's not remotely conservative. Even Trump, as reactionary as he is, is much more conservative.

There are still lots of Reaganite conservatives, they just have to hold their tongues because of the way they know they'll be punished if they strongly criticize Trump. Heck, most of the Republican candidates in 2016 were Reaganites. But I also think that Reagan's policies were responding to problems that were specific to the 70s and 80s, and that it's a good thing that post-Reagan conservatives are being forced to deal with some of the things that brought Trump to power. What I hope those people retain from Reagan is a positivity about America that's lost in Trump's reactionary cynicism.

Your last sentence encapsulates the main reason for

Nov 20, 2019, 1:55 PM

my statement. Whoever comes after Trump has a gargantuan repair job ahead of them, Trump's divisiveness has reduced our political process to rubble and created bottomless chasms to traverse. To overcome this, the US doesn't need somebody that is rooted in far left leaning ideologies, we need someone that can engage in rational debate and understand both sides of political issues. This is something Reagan did very well. You weren't a dumb Dem if you disagreed with him, you were someone he could listen to and respect, he invited that debate and that process. In that philosophical theme, Mayor Pete is similar.

In a shortened political talking point sense, he's the only candidate in the debates the doesn't seem h e l l bent on giving away everything.

ugh***

Nov 20, 2019, 4:48 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 20, 2019, 1:45 PM

Just putting this out here... Is it possible they have genuine concerns with him that are unrelated to his sexuality?

Nov 20, 2019, 1:48 PM

Doubtful

Nov 20, 2019, 1:51 PM [ in reply to Re: I'm happy to see Mayor Pete get his turn ]

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/27/us/politics/pete-buttigieg-south-carolina.html

Rev. Sharpton explicitly said on MSNBC that

Nov 20, 2019, 3:46 PM [ in reply to Re: I'm happy to see Mayor Pete get his turn ]

the black community's problems with Pete is the gay thing.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If Mayor Pete were to miraculously win the nom, I guess we

Nov 20, 2019, 4:19 PM

all have a choice to make. What bothers us more? Pete's gay thing? or Trump's racist thing? What impacts us more?

Re: Rev. Sharpton explicitly said on MSNBC that

Nov 20, 2019, 4:46 PM [ in reply to Rev. Sharpton explicitly said on MSNBC that ]

Sharpton is suddenly credible to you guys?

Could it be that he had issues with firing the police chief?

https://theintercept.com/2019/09/20/pete-buttigieg-south-bend-police/

Could it be his administration's perceived issues with gentrification of minority neighborhoods?

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/henrygomez/mayor-pete-buttigieg-south-bend-gentrification

Could it be the issues he had very recently with a botched response to a police shooting and seeming disrespectful to black leaders?

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/18/pete-buttigieg-met-with-black-lives-matter-after-eric-logan-shooting.html

Your argument assumes that black people are politically ignorant and unaware of issues that face them. That they're incapable of thinking deeply enough to see any issue past "the gay thing."

Dems have 20 candidates.

Nov 20, 2019, 4:09 PM [ in reply to Re: I'm happy to see Mayor Pete get his turn ]

All of them have similar views on a variety of issues. So how does one choose who suits them best?

Process of elimination. One by one they find reasons not to vote for a candidate. Harris got axed over prosecuting pot heads and disproportionately blacks. She's out. Pete also got manhandled by the black community as mayor for similar reasons.

There's an outside chance that Pete is failing among blacks due to blacks noting his failure as a mayor. Strike one, his being gay ices the cake, imo.

So far Joe has no negatives with blacks and he was part of Obama's ticket. If Obama endorsed Biden he would clean up the black vote and that alone would put him at the top.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 20, 2019, 4:58 PM

I don’t think we’re ready for a homosexual first lady. We’re barely over big mike.

Replies: 18
| visibility 556
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic