Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
SEC loses-excuses. ACC loses - it's just sorry.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1

SEC loses-excuses. ACC loses - it's just sorry.

Dec 31, 2019, 5:49 PM

The ACC is not on par with the SEC with regard to top tier teams. Maybe not even middle of the pack teams.
But, that can be said about more than the ACC. I really believe the ACC's biggest problem is the close proximity to the SEC.
The Big 12 and PAC 12 get to be pure garbage and don't get - complete beat down about being sorry!
I think it comes from comparing the two conferences. Stop doing that.
Compare it to the PAC 12. Or the Big 12 who basically just has Oklahoma. Baylor is hit or miss in recent years but really a traditional door mat. Otherwise, it's a one power team conference too!

When I do the comparisons with conferences outside the SEC - the separation is not so immense. People either keep wanting the ACC to become the SEC(and it will never). Or IDK - just seems an unfair comparison to me. Thoughts?

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: SEC loses-excuses. ACC loses - it's just sorry.

Dec 31, 2019, 5:59 PM

I think the main thing separating the SEC from the ACC is the size (or lack of size) of the venues. The ACC has 2 (FSU and CLEMSON) that are on par with Bama, Auburn, UGA, LSU, TAMU, UF, UofSuc, etc. Duke looks smaller than most HS stadiums and needs to add bleachers when they play teams that have a large fan base. That is NOT going to change anytime soon IMO.

I like us being in the ACC, but CLEMSON and FSU belong in the SEC. We especially do since we don't give a rat's butt about BBall.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 31, 2019, 6:14 PM

I think the main thing separating the SEC from the ACC is the size (or lack of size) of the venues. The ACC has 2 (FSU and CLEMSON) that are on par with Bama, Auburn, UGA, LSU, TAMU, UF, UofSuc, etc. Duke looks smaller than most HS stadiums and needs to add bleachers when they play teams that have a large fan base. That is NOT going to change anytime soon IMO.

I like us being in the ACC, but CLEMSON and FSU belong in the SEC. We especially do since we don't give a rat's butt about BBall.

But, I for one as a Clemson fan, and therefore member of the ACC conference DON NOT WANT TO BE LIKE THE SEC. Not for a second.
Why?
The Big 10 has at least produced a champion in the playoff era. 1 BCS champion(same team). Why not compare to them. Last year Northwestern represented the west side of the Big 10 and they were turrible! Duke went to Illinois and beat them 21-7. But, you don't hear about that.
Why can't ACC teams lose w/o it affecting the whole conference? When Clemson and FSU won 3 of the last National Titles did the other ACC schools get a part? No. So, why the entire conference got to eat it?

No SEC. Keep the charm and nostalgia of ACC schools. Just get better at putting together football teams! 2nd best talent provider to the NFL is the ACC; so the players are in the conference. The teams as a whole just don't perform well! These schools have to start laying down more money to get the right coaches in the fold.
But, be the ACC, not a "fake A SEC".

Dec 31, 2019, 6:24 PM

When you say, "did the other ACC schools get a part? No." I guess you don't mean part of the revenue because yes, the conference does divide the revenue from post season play as I understand it.

While I agree it is an unfair comparison and also on in terms of football. The ACC has much more superior athletic overall if you compare all sports.

If you mean just in football. I like that we are compared to the SEC because they are at least by the media considered the best. I agree schools like Duke are never going to get their fans excited about football. However, I don't see why Louisville, FSU, Miami, UVA, VPI, UNC, NC State Syracuse, GT and maybe Pitt can't have decent teams from year to year and occasionally a great team. They all have facilities and some history of success.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 31, 2019, 6:33 PM

Falcon - did you know Pitt has 9 claimed National Titles? The most of any team on the east coast.

But, what you said about all sports is true! No way would I want to become an SEC at the sacrifice of that balance. But, as you also said, a couple teams could do the image of the conference a world of good if they "got their heads out the sand" or where ever they have them stuck!

Why not compare the ACC to the Big 12 then? If you know BC and Duke and Wake are never going to be those type of schools? This is why I always kind of laugh at some folks commentary; because when you are saying the ACC is weak - you are only comparing to the current standard in "BEST Conference"! If folks looked away from their neighbors who probably bust their blz often - they could see the ACC is not exclusive in having just one or two really strong teams! Then everybody else sup par!

Replies: 4
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic