»
Topic: SEC Lovers and Haters
Replies: 22   Last Post: Jan 8, 2013 10:48 PM by: Clemson 2 Cali
This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.


[ Archives - Tiger Boards Archive ]
Start New Topic
Replies: 22  

SEC Lovers and Haters

[6]
Posted: Jan 8, 2013 5:28 PM
 

After watching Notre "Shame" get blown out by Alabama, most college football fans are convinced that the Crimson Tide are one of the best teams that has ever played. Rightly so. The Alabama defense was stout, holding Notre Dame scoreless until the third quarter, and the Tide was even better on offense. The Tide rolled, and racked up 28 points before Notre Dame scored even one! By the end of the night Notre Dame had scored 14 and Alabama had scored a whopping 42! It was an easy victory for the Tide, but was it as amazing as many would lead you to believe? No!

Here's what you have to consider after last night's game. First, Alabama is a great team, deserving of all the accolades that comes with a championship, but Notre Dame is a great team as well. The problem is that while Notre Dame is a great team, they do not have a great offense. The Alabama defense easily stopped the Irish's ball carriers and their freshman QB was able to do little to bring them back from what was certainly an insurmountable deficit. But why was Alabama able to crush Notre Dame's offense so easily? Answer: scheme.

The Alabama defense, just like most other SEC defenses, is setup to stop a top tier rushing attack and a long, downfield passing game. The one thing that the Tide struggles with is a true spread offense. Take their loss to Texas A&M for example. The Aggies, lead by freshman standout Johnny Manziel, employ the use of a spread offense, enabling them to move the ball quickly, but mostly in short bursts. Often the spread will sort of substitute a 5 yard completion for a 5 yard run. Traditional offenses like the I-Formation, Singleback, and even a Read-Option will gain short yardage through the use of the running game. So how does that change what a defense does?

Easy, it forces the defenders to drop into coverage and play the pass on nearly every play. When a Spread offense is able to establish a simple rushing attack, coupled with lots of short yardage passes, the defense is forced to choose between either stacking the box to prevent the run, blitzing to prevent the pass, or dropping into coverage to prevent the completion. Obviously the defense cannot do all three at once. In the case of most SEC defenses, you will notice extreme pressure being placed on the QB of the opposing team. Why? Blitzing!

SEC teams use complex blitz schemes to confuse most QBs and offensive linemen, hopefully forcing an errant throw and possibly resulting in an interception. This is why when Clemson played against LSU in the Chick-Fil-A bowl QB Tajh Boyd seemed to be under constant pressure. Most offenses, especially those that are built in a traditional manner of establishing the run first, have difficulty dealing with this; however, correctly run spread offenses are able to throw the ball quickly to a receiver left open by a blitzing linebacker or defensive back. We have seen this a million times when an offense runs a HB screen.

Basically what happens is the HB is able to slip through uncovered because the defender that would normally cover him is in the backfield trying to sack the quarterback. One of two things results from a good short passing game. Either the offense will continue to be forced to throw quick passes and moving the ball slowly, or the defense will have to blitz less or with less defenders. Once the defense backs up a bit, a good spread team will be able to run to any of the gaps effectively.

Pretty much, my reasoning is, because Notre Dame runs a more traditional style offense, Alabama was able to maintain pressure on the QB, forcing 3rd down and long, and three and outs. Good job Tide, bad job Brian Kelly. Notre Dame failed to adapt to the increased pressure from the Alabama defense, leading to a crushing defeat.

I say all of this just to make one statement, and one statement only. Say what you want, but Clemson could have played Alabama closer, and dare I say could have had a shot at winning.

Clemson's offense against LSU was faced with the same type of pressure that Notre Dame felt against Alabama. The difference is that because Clemson runs a Pistol Spread offense, and runs it right mind you, they were able to utilize quick passing routes and multiple ball carriers to work their way down the field slowly, eventually culminating in a win against a defense that was supposed to be one of the best in the country, a team that was supposed to be "one game short" of a national championship.

So SEC lovers.... SHUT UP! We did it against LSU, we could do it against Alabama.


Now just go on to bed and sleep it off. Useless!!!


Posted: Jan 8, 2013 5:34 PM
 

fu

badge-donor-05yr.jpg

- Plagiarism saves time -


??? You ^^^ make no sense***


Posted: Jan 8, 2013 5:49 PM
 




Re: SEC Lovers and Haters

[1]
Posted: Jan 8, 2013 6:03 PM
 

First off, Alabama was better last year. The only reason Alabama lost last year is because LSU was incredible last year, also.

Both teams last year were some of the best college football teams I've ever witnessed.

Alabama was beatable this year.

But even still, the reason (in my opinion) that Alabama struggled with Texas A&M was because they went to WAR with LSU the week before. It was a physical and emotional war.

There should be no surprise that Alabama came out extremely flat. They did a lot better in the second half, holding Texas A&M to only 9 points, but came up just short.

If Alabama would have had a month to prepare for Texas A&M, it would have been a different game. Remember, LSU held Texas A&M to only 19 points just a few weeks before Alabama played them. And don't act like Texas A&M wasn't as good when they played LSU, because the LSU game was Texas A&M's 8th game of the season. They were deep into the season when they played LSU.

My point is, SEC defenses can stop spread offenses.


How many spread offenses do they EVEN see? 2? Bama, LSU


Posted: Jan 8, 2013 6:07 PM
 

and UF ALL lost to 50% of the spread teams they faced...


Re: SEC Lovers and Haters


Posted: Jan 8, 2013 6:09 PM
 

LSU didn't stop Clemson. They gave all they had apparently. They couldn't even stand up after the game. Don't give me that crap. You suck!


Re: SEC Lovers and Haters


Posted: Jan 8, 2013 6:23 PM
 

> LSU didn't stop Clemson. They gave all they had
> apparently. They couldn't even stand up after the
> game. Don't give me that crap. You suck!

I wouldn't consider 25 points a lot. Especially with all of the possessions Clemson had.

If the LSU offense was half-way decent, Clemson gets a lot less possessions, and doesn't score even 25 points. It took a game-ending field goal to reach 25 points with a game and a half's worth of possessions.

LSU's defense didn't lose the game. LSU's offense lost the game by not only not scoring many points, but also hurting the defense by not being on the field long enough and giving Clemson's offense a ton of possessions.


Re: SEC Lovers and Haters


Posted: Jan 8, 2013 6:26 PM
 

The problem is that the LSU offense was hyped to be half way decent, and the defense was supposed to be unbreakable. Well sorry. Clemson made your offense look like #### and your defense broke! No 25 isn't a lot, but it was a win. LSU couldn't stop Clemson in the fourth quarter if their lives depended on it. Last time I checked LSU's defense allowed Clemson to drive the field three times in the fourth quarter and all three times Clemson scored. Sounds like the defense lost it for 'em.

Don't give me this crap man! We all watched the game. Your team got handled. Don't try to deny it.


Re: SEC Lovers and Haters


Posted: Jan 8, 2013 7:10 PM
 

> The problem is that the LSU offense was hyped to be
> half way decent, and the defense was supposed to be
> unbreakable. Well sorry. Clemson made your offense
> look like #### and your defense broke! No 25 isn't a
> lot, but it was a win. LSU couldn't stop Clemson in
> the fourth quarter if their lives depended on it.
> Last time I checked LSU's defense allowed Clemson to
> drive the field three times in the fourth quarter and
> all three times Clemson scored. Sounds like the
> defense lost it for 'em.
>
> Don't give me this crap man! We all watched the game.
> Your team got handled. Don't try to deny it.


LSU offense has it's moments of being good. But overall, it's not good.

There has been a problem with the offensive line all year with all of the injuries, and that is what hurt them in the game against Clemson.

Defense didn't lose the game for LSU. Reid should have made the play on the 4th and 16, and that would have won the game. But he didn't. But I don't blame him because the defense was the only thing keeping LSU in the game.

Mettenberger could have made that easy pass to the wide open receiver 5 yards away from him for the first down that would have ended the game. But he sailed it high for no reason. That is the offense in a nut shell.

And... "got handled"? Sure is an interesting choice of words for a 1 point win LOL...


Re: SEC Lovers and Haters


Posted: Jan 8, 2013 7:37 PM
 

32 first downs to 8, 450+ yards to just over 200, players "cramping" and having to be carried off the field after the game, we almost doubled our yearly sack total with this game, etc.

What kept LSU in the game were 2 fumbles and 2 short fields resulting in 10 points. We don't turn the ball over twice we win by double digits. However, we did turn the ball over twice and still won.

2019 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

LSU just got another


Posted: Jan 8, 2013 6:42 PM
 

leg cramp.

SEC Pumpers. jeez.


So if LSU's offense isn't even halfway decent then how did


Posted: Jan 8, 2013 7:35 PM
 

that affect Bama? Obviously Bama should have shut them down no problem with their "not even halfway decent" offense and therefore should have not had a problem with A&M.

Your story is kind of collapsing on itself.

2019 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

Re: So if LSU's offense isn't even halfway decent then how did


Posted: Jan 8, 2013 7:48 PM
 

> that affect Bama? Obviously Bama should have shut
> them down no problem with their "not even halfway
> decent" offense and therefore should have not had a
> problem with A&M.
>
> Your story is kind of collapsing on itself.

LSU scored only 17 points against Alabama in their best offensive performance of the year.

What's your point?


Re: So if LSU's offense isn't even halfway decent then how did


Posted: Jan 8, 2013 7:57 PM
 

I don't think you really understand what my post was about. I know it is difficult for you LSU guys to understand the complexities of a spread offense, or a passing offense even. I can help though.

Get in touch with Les Miles and let him know that I have a wonderful playbook, complete with pictures, drawn with crayon so that it is on his level. I'll email a copy of it to him. It has worked wonders for some youth teams around here. A lot of beginner coaches who can't comprehend most offensive schemes do well, so I'm sure Miles can get it, as long as he has an assistant who can read the parts that contain letters and things of that nature.

Seriously though, I don't think you really understand the point here. We aren't talking about LSU's offense. We're talking about Clemson. The difference is that LSU's offense sucks, and they lost. Clemson's offense is amazing, and they won.

I'm sure that simple break down was enough for you. When you want to learn about real offense get with me. I can teach you a thing or two.


Re: So if LSU's offense isn't even halfway decent then how did


Posted: Jan 8, 2013 8:14 PM
 

Clemson's amazing offense scored 25 points on a last-second field goal with a game and a half worth of possessions.

LSU's terrible offense scored 24 points.


P.S... Miles has won a national championship. How many has Dabo won?


Re: So if LSU's offense isn't even halfway decent then how did


Posted: Jan 8, 2013 8:33 PM
 

A NC doesn't mean he can be excused for putting a sorry excuse for an offense on the field.

The amount of points that Clemson scored doesn't matter. Obviously you either didn't read my post well or you don't understand the multiple applications and abilities of a well run spread offense.

You see, a good offensive coordinator knows that a spread offense can do two things extremely well.

1. Score Points

- If a team has a weak defense or is easily exposed by big plays, then a spread offense can score extremely well, often resulting in final scores in the 40s and 50s.

2. Ball Control

- In a situation where a spread offense faces a good defense that achieves its goals through pressure on the QB, a coordinator can use short, quick throws to hit the flats and the second level, taking advantage of the blitzing linebackers and defensive backs. Often times this results in long scoring drives, running lots of time off the game clock, wearing down the opposing defense, and ultimately limiting the amount of snaps one's opponent can take.

The latter would explain Clemson's defeat of LSU. You see, Chad Morris understood the fact that he wasn't going to put up 50 on LSU, and that's fine. What he did instead was wear on the LSU defense the entire game. By the time the fourth quarter rolled around there was no more gas left in the tank; those big, physical defensive linemen had turned into nothing more than big stumbling blobs. The secondary could no longer keep up with the Clemson receivers, forcing them to drop into zone coverage. That is when Morris called the play on 4th and 16. Hopkins got just behind the defender, and Boyd threw a perfect pass. The rest is pretty much history, sir.

It's time for you to face the facts man. Clemson imposed it's gameplan on LSU. The real Tigers from the real Death Valley beat the Bayou Bengals from Baton Rouge.

There is still hope for your offense though. Since LSU loves stealing other schools' logos and traditions they could take something from Georgia Tech. Instead of being the "Ramblin' Wreck" LSU could be the "Bumblin' Stumblin'". Makes sense :D


Whoaa. That was long.


Posted: Jan 8, 2013 6:40 PM
 

But right on!

I like the analysis.

Good stuff. Be careful, though. If you spread too much actual football knowledge, the know-it-alls will cry themselves to sleep tonight.


Re: SEC Lovers and Haters

[1]
Posted: Jan 8, 2013 7:18 PM
 

So SEC lovers.... SHUT UP! We did it against LSU, we could do it against Alabama.

SO why didn't we do it against USC?


Re: SEC Lovers and Haters


Posted: Jan 8, 2013 7:34 PM
 

Alabama was the best team - They would have beat Oregon handily. The spread is simply assignment football. With 30 days to prepare, that coaching staff and the athletes they have would have met the challenge and then some...Discipline - It's the reason they are national champs and a team like USC (So Cal.) who has similar athletes goes 7-6 and loses by 14 to GT.


Re: SEC Lovers and Haters


Posted: Jan 8, 2013 7:42 PM
 

Agreed. Alabama was the best team this year. But because I'm a Clemson fan and I want to flaunt the fact that LSU sucks, along with the rest of the (S)uck (E)ach other's (C)***s conference.


Re: SEC Lovers and Haters


Posted: Jan 8, 2013 9:12 PM
 

How do you explain the L against SCar? Do you think SCar is a better team than LSU and/or Bama or what?


Watching Clemson vs LSU again.


Posted: Jan 8, 2013 9:26 PM
 

Great game.

No wonder it has the highest ratings of any non-BCS bowl in ESPN's history.

I didn't realize this, but Clemson vs Auburn in 2007 is second on that list.

Go Tigers!

2019 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."


Re: Watching Clemson vs LSU again.


Posted: Jan 8, 2013 10:48 PM
 

> Great game.
>
> No wonder it has the highest ratings of any non-BCS
> bowl in ESPN's history.
>
> I didn't realize this, but Clemson vs Auburn in 2007
> is second on that list.
>
> Go Tigers!


Maybe people just like watching Tigers play against each other? :dunno:


Replies: 22  

TIGER TICKETS

FB GAME: Texas A&M
FOR SALE: CU vs. Texas A&M on Saturday, 9/7 - 4 tickets ($750 each) and Lot 2 parking pass ($750). Four GREAT ...

Buy or Sell CU Tickets and More in Tiger Tickets!

[ Archives - Tiger Boards Archive ]
Start New Topic
1812 people have read this post