Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
SEC Logic
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 2,302

SEC Logic

Aug 25, 2013, 9:04 AM

After last night's joust with some UGA interlopers, I think I've figured out the cause of their denial of reality.

* They are only looking at "proven production" from WRs. * They think that because Nuk is gone, the sum of our offensive production has been diminished by his prior contributions.
* They do not understand that teams run an offensive system and the next man up fills the void.
* They do not realize that every pass that Nuk caught was a lost opportunity for another Clemson WR who may assume his place this year.
* They do not recognize that if Nuk had not played, the same pass would have been caught by someone else.
* Nor do they recognize that last year's production numbers will be different this year.
* They certainly don't realize that offensive production is planned by position and matchups more so than by individual.

Their SEC logic is from the shallow end of the gene pool.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: SEC Logic

Aug 25, 2013, 9:18 AM

I think it's crazy for us to assume that Nuk's performance can be replicated just by plugging in the "next guy".

Nuk had an unbelievable year. Sure, it's possible that we will be as productive with a healthy Sammy and an older Bryant and Peake, but you still don't know how those last 2 will react when the game's on the line.

UGA could say the same thing about their defense. They've recruited really well, so it should be a "next guy" kind of deal too. But the reality is, they are unproven in the secondary. Doesn't mean they may not have a freshman All-American, but it's just a pretty big unknown.

Aug 25, 2013, 9:20 AM

All of those are fair points.

The flip side of that coin is that they all can be used in support of UGA's defense too. Like Dabo said, everyone is focusing on who UGA lost, and no one is talking about who will be out there.

The difference is that the guys taking Nuk's place

Aug 25, 2013, 11:02 AM

Have legitimate playing time. Also, Sammy is back 100% which he never was last year. Another thing, we will be moving WR's all over the place, so there will be no scheming against one guy. Sammy may be at the 2 or at the 9 or anywhere in between.

Your best hope, is that your offense can keep up because your defense will not stop this offense.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 25, 2013, 9:21 AM

While at the same time they are saying that their defense isn't going to miss a step as long as they get their DB's back from injury. It's funny...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

caddie nailed it

Aug 25, 2013, 9:56 AM

Can only assume WR and RB will take a hit until proven otherwise. Not saying others wont step up but losing 2 of 3 best offensive players will cause growing pains.

Re: caddie nailed it

Aug 25, 2013, 10:25 AM

I agree. Any knowledgeable UGA fan will agree that our secondary, especially in Game 1 will take a step back this year. Until proven otherwise, we dont have a clue how Tray Matthews will perform at safety. Or Mike Thornton at nose.

We do however, know exactly how Mitchell, Bennett and Conley will perform as receivers. Conversely, Bryant and Peake are largely unknown quantities as receivers.

Which is why we say we have a better receiving corps.

Re: Re: caddie nailed it

Aug 25, 2013, 11:11 AM

Bryant and peak are unknown quantities? How do u get that? Oh brother.

A Huge hang up with your better WR core....

Aug 25, 2013, 11:24 AM [ in reply to Re: caddie nailed it ]

Peake and Bryant are not "unknown quantities." Maybe to you but not to us. They've been in the program long enough and know how our system works. Their lack of whooping numbers is due to our depth chart.

Although it should be noted that the "unknown" Peake had 25 receptions last season, while your "proven" Bennett had 24; and his "all world" friend Conley tallied 20 catches. Oh, also Adam Humphries remains a "question" but nabbed 41 catches in 2012.

Not that I need to bring #2 in this but you did bring up you "seasoned" go-to-guy, Mitchell... 40 recs, 572yds, 4tds, and a whooping 44 yds a game. In limited duty, Watkins produced 57recs, 708 yds, 6.3 recs/game avg, and 70.8 yds a game.

And yes, I share your concerns about DT Mike Thornton. He's acquired a total of 2 tackles, with one against the mighty NMSU. But don't you also have worries about DE Sterling Bailey? (1 career tackle, 0 starts) And your right about Tray Matthews. True freshman DB starting on the road.... just saying.

Oh one more thing, a real colorful individual said Swann and Dawson are "lock down corners." Funny thing is Dawson has never started a game, or recorded a tackle- if I saw that correctly. He's intimidating for a 3 star prospect...

Re: A Huge hang up with your better WR core....

Aug 25, 2013, 12:06 PM

No. I'm not worried about Sterling Bailey. In the same fashion your not worried about Peake or Bryant, I know enough about Bailey to know what we have.

Dawson, IMO is not a lock down corner. He's pretty good though. Swann is a lock down corner.

I could turn your same reasoning around on you. Mitchell played behind King. Thats why his numbers aren't phenomenal. Bennett missed half the season with a knee injury.

Re: Re: A Huge hang up with your better WR core...

Aug 25, 2013, 12:29 PM

Wow. Sheldon Dawson has 0 starts, 12 tackles, including 3vs. Mizzu and 2vs. FAU but "he's good. We're fine....?"

And your not worried about Bailey even though he's only appeared in 3 games EVER and has 1 tackle. Your right, what a stud...

I'm not worried about Peake or Bryant cause they've done stuff. As in having stats, you know when a player Does Something. Has experience. Reaches the end zone. All of those would be valid reasons to tout people, not just a Georgia fans whim.

Re: A Huge hang up with your better WR core....

Aug 25, 2013, 12:23 PM [ in reply to A Huge hang up with your better WR core.... ]

You know I'm not one to belabor a point. So I'm gonna leave this here and be done with the receiving corps debate. Phil Steele says we are better at that position. So does Athlon. can they be wrong? Sure. but they get paid not to be. Here's last years stats.

Watkins = 57 catches for 708 yards and 3 TD's
Peake = 25 catches for 172 yards and 2 TD's
Bryant = 10 catches for 305 yards and 4 TD's
92 catches for 1185 yards and 9 TD's

Mitchell = 40 catches for 572 yards and 4 TD's
Bennett = 24 catches for 345 yards and 4 TD's
Conley = 20 catches for 342 yards and 6 TD's
84 catches for 1259 yards and 14 TD's

The stats say we are better at wide receiver as well. Do what you want with that.

Re: Re: A Huge hang up with your better WR core....

Aug 25, 2013, 12:38 PM

Wow, you left off a crucial third down reception getter who tallied 41 catches. Nice. Trust me, Adam Humphries exist. He's a real person. He plays the slot.

And those are last year's 2,5, and 6 receivers. Gosh, the team your referencing must really know how to spread the ball around. I'd hate to have a rookie defensive backfield and play at their house to open the season, especially if it were to be on primetime television.

Hot Rod averaged

Aug 25, 2013, 11:05 AM [ in reply to caddie nailed it ]

over 5 YPC last year on 83 carries, more than AE did actually. Many of those yards behind the 2's on the OL. I am fairly certain he has proven otherwise.

As a matter of fact, here are his last 4 games of regular

Aug 25, 2013, 11:09 AM [ in reply to caddie nailed it ]

season

who is "his"***

Aug 25, 2013, 12:44 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

those would be hotrods last 4 games, is my guess.

Aug 25, 2013, 12:47 PM

the 10+ ypc would have been against lsu, if i read it right.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks for reasoning

Aug 25, 2013, 1:07 PM

It was based on my post, which mentioned Hot Rod, just previous to that one...

I guess he missed that.

SEC. Logic? Since when

Aug 25, 2013, 10:19 AM

I find it hilarious when they attribute losses to a team "not being pumped. Weren't excited to be there." Or the weakest ever, "Caught looking ahead."

But wait, don't you people boast about having great coaches? Certainly they'd have a team pumped, primed, and ready to play.... right?

Any excuse to downplay a genuine loss; thats SEC logic...

Aug 25, 2013, 10:24 AM

I think they can say the same thing with Clemson fans thinking they lost everything on Defense

I would venture to say both need to prove themselves but both are big programs with top notch recruiting so both teams should feel comfortable with replacement players stepping up and attempting to be the man

While there is no reason not to believe there are receivers at Clemson who rode the pine behind Nuk who could have started for several schools, there are also Defensive players at UGA who would have started at lots of schools who rode the pine behind their starters

Perfect example of 2 of todays good programs losing some key pieces but both trusting there are younger players ready to step up. We will all see in 6 days

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 25, 2013, 11:51 AM

interesting that you and many tiger fans assume that you will just plug in replacements who are just as good as the proven guys they are replaceing, while at the same time going on and on about the guys uga (or SC) have lost and in no way will they be as good as the guys they are replacing.

Funny that.

Nobody is saying that per se. The clear difference is in

Aug 25, 2013, 12:53 PM

volume of playing time. Clemson replacements on offense are more experienced than UGA's replacements on defense. UGA's defense was hit far harder than our offense.

Plus, a receiver is running a prescribed route. A defender is having to play within a system and cover said receiver. It's like playing in the rain when the offensive player knows where he's going but the defender doesn't.

Plus they're playing against an offense unlike any they have played against.

In all honesty, I don't see how anyone can try to equate UGA's defensive losses to Clemson's offensive losses. I think the respective losses favor Clemson...assuming our offense will be firing on all cylinders come Aug 31.

Replies: 21
| visibility 2,302
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic