Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
SCAR may switch to 3-4 in 2014 due to lack of numbers on DL
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

SCAR may switch to 3-4 in 2014 due to lack of numbers on DL

Feb 21, 2014, 6:29 AM

Heard the DC being interviewed on radio and he said the staff is going to Oklahoma to discuss with OU coaches the success OU had in 2013 switching from 4 down lineman to 3 down lineman.

The beginning of the slide?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, you should probably wait to see whether or not they

Feb 21, 2014, 7:22 AM

are good at the 3-4.

Re: Well, you should probably wait to see whether or not they

Feb 21, 2014, 3:06 PM

Why did you say "they?"

Re: SCAR may switch to 3-4 in 2014 due to lack of numbers on DL

Feb 21, 2014, 8:01 AM

Are you saying that Okla isn't any good? They seem to have a pretty good team and it seems logical that a DC would want to learn a different scheme, in case he needs to change it up a little. For a team with such a high powered offense like Clemson, I would be more worried that you can't score more than 17 against a team that you guys think is so mediocre.

Don't be butthurt

Feb 21, 2014, 8:25 AM

He just mentioned changing defensive schemes. He never said anything about mediocre.

Feb 21, 2014, 11:52 AM [ in reply to Re: SCAR may switch to 3-4 in 2014 due to lack of numbers on DL ]

Where the #### did he say OU was no good?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Heres the deal

Feb 21, 2014, 8:53 AM

If they are switching to a 3-4 thats a big deal in a bad way for them. If they are just looking at 3 down lineman schemes thats no biggie.

If they switch to a 3-4, Gurshall

Feb 21, 2014, 9:04 AM

Will destroy then. SC's LB's are small and weak. UGA will run at will.

This. Their run defense is not good.

Feb 21, 2014, 9:48 AM

Wisconsin was killing them in the run in the first half of that bowl game. I'm not sure how SCar stopped them in the second half, but their run defense was bad all year.

Re: This. Their run defense is not good.

Feb 21, 2014, 11:55 AM

It's called coaching. We adjusted to their blocking scheme.

I understand that, but you can't coach size.

Feb 21, 2014, 12:25 PM

Your linebackers are small and do not seem too talented. I was surprised that your coaches were able to come up with some scheme that was effective even with undersized linebackers.

Re: I understand that, but you can't coach size.

Feb 21, 2014, 1:48 PM

It's called recruiting players to fit your scheme and coaching them. What's harder to understand is how Clemson has signed 6 or 8 4 and 5 star LB's in the last few classes and can't stop a running quarterback. Actually let me rephrase that, can't even stop Dylan Thompson from running.

If you had the players you wanted and the scheme you

Feb 21, 2014, 2:19 PM

wanted before the game started (which apparently you did, since they had a scheme that they recruited the players for, far in advance of the Wisky game), then how come you got run over the first half?

Re: If you had the players you wanted and the scheme you

Feb 21, 2014, 2:50 PM

Planning doesn't always work. Sometimes you just have to let your slow QB rumble to his left on 3rd and 17.

Feb 21, 2014, 2:46 PM [ in reply to Re: I understand that, but you can't coach size. ]

But your scheme was a 4-3, you recruited for a 4-3, but now your considering running a new scheme. So it could be a problem by your own logic.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jstone D329 - “ It’s ok to want a coaching change”
Brownell @Clemson: 8 seasons ranked 50th or worse by Sports Reference’s SRS
1-29: Brad Brownell road record against ranked ACC opponents
142, 161, 294, 307, 293, 166, 225, 180, 260, 164, 141, 72, 68 - assist rankings amongst all D1 programs during Brownell's tenure

Feb 21, 2014, 2:57 PM

You won't see a switch to a 4-3. You might see it mixed in. We definitely have some DL that fit a 3-4 or 4-3 nicely. Kelsey Griffin and Deon Green already in the program would be great DE in that scheme along with some Freshman we are bringing along. I like the fact that a consistent top 20 defense is looking for ways to stay ahead of the curve rather than playing catch up. In case you never noticed Ellis Johnson and Lorenzo Ward have slipped 3-4 schemes in before with Melvin Ingram, Clowney, Eric Norwood, and Devon Taylor standing up and dropping out. Darius English definitely has the athleticism to do something similar. You should mention it to Venables, Beasley would probably be outstanding moving around like that.

We are recruiting smaller guys

Feb 21, 2014, 3:53 PM [ in reply to If they switch to a 3-4, Gurshall ]

To compete against the HUNH.

That's what drewtiger and tigerkinh79 told me yesterday.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

If true, very big deal. Scar's LBs are average at best.

Feb 21, 2014, 9:39 AM

They were horrible last year.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Re: If true, very big deal. Scar's LBs are average at best.

Feb 21, 2014, 11:30 AM

Yeah, that's why one was a freshman All American. They were young and came in very strong, they will be one of the strengths of the defense next year.
Going to some 3-4 because they are so good, not because of lack of DL.

Question the secondary al you want, that will be a struggle for us. But the DL and Linebackers, they will be tough.

You know, you need 2 big middle linebackers

Feb 21, 2014, 11:37 AM

Better start really working the HGH if you're going to find 2 on your roster over 230-240 pounds.

Re: You know, you need 2 big middle linebackers

Feb 21, 2014, 12:03 PM

If we go to a 3-4 they will be Turner, English, Walton, and Johnson. Holloman and Roberts would be bulked up if expected to play in a 3-4 as well. Could also stick Joe Blue in there if we needed him.

Re: If true, very big deal. Scar's LBs are average at best.

Feb 21, 2014, 2:42 PM [ in reply to Re: If true, very big deal. Scar's LBs are average at best. ]

Wait, what? Yall have a freshman linebacker who was named an All American?

OMG!!

Feb 21, 2014, 10:02 AM

This is such big news for Clemson

This is unpossible

Feb 21, 2014, 11:35 AM

I had a long discussion with the brilliant gentlemen on FGF, and they explained that Clemson is terrible because we don't recruit D-Linemen, while they have at least 20-25 D-linemen on their team every year. So this guy is obviously mistaken.

Feb 21, 2014, 11:54 AM

With the players they've been recruiting, they will need to give the 3-4 some time. It may end up working well for them, but it'll take a year or two adding weight on the linebackers, and recruiting bigger ones

We will still abandon the run***

Feb 21, 2014, 11:55 AM

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's isn't just us

Feb 21, 2014, 12:39 PM

Everyone gets a little pass happy. Wisconsin shouldn't have passed the ball 1 time in the first half. While SCAR's LBs are small they are speedy. But they should start sweating if they routinely let linemen an TEs block them at the second level.

So, stepping outside the SEC says it all***

Feb 21, 2014, 2:01 PM

If true, their dominance in the trenches is over.***

Feb 21, 2014, 3:14 PM

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Re: Thought that was when SC lost Melvin Ingram\Gilmore.....

Feb 21, 2014, 3:19 PM

or was it the loss of Ellis Johnson, or was the slide when Jeffery or Lattimore left...it all gets very confusing keeping up on the beginning dates each February of the coming slide.

Seriously though, y'all have had a great defense

Feb 21, 2014, 3:20 PM

why change?

Re: Seriously though, y'all have had a great defense

Feb 21, 2014, 5:14 PM

SC is loaded at DT but challenged at DE for 2014, perhaps Ward is trying to get more DT's on the field because he does not have quality at DE spot.

incorrect again

Feb 21, 2014, 5:45 PM

Our base will always be 4-2-5 with Ward. We had a 3-4 package last year but gotta get the best players in the game and we have some solid young linebackers.

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic