Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
SC grads (Bachelor's degree) that are Clemson Fans
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

SC grads (Bachelor's degree) that are Clemson Fans

Jul 3, 2018, 9:28 AM

You are out there - I am curious:
* Why did you go to Univ of SC instead of Clemson?
* Why do your root for Clemson over Univ of SC?
* When Univ of SC plays teams other than Clemson do you root for Univ of SC or the other team?

I have known two Univ of SC grads that were Clemson fans in my life - and both hated Univ of SC. Both lived in Columbia and had to save money so lived at home while they attended college. Maybe somewhere out there is someone that graduated from Clemson but really loves Univ of SC more - but I have yet to meet them.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: SC grads (Bachelor's degree) that are Clemson Fans

Jul 3, 2018, 9:52 AM

Could depend on their field of study. Originally I was gonna go pre-law and sc has one of the top schools In the country. However it would have never made me a copy fan.

Hold on just a second...

Jul 3, 2018, 10:00 AM

There's no chance that SCar's "pre-law" program is one of the top in the country.

Re: Hold on just a second...

Jul 3, 2018, 11:45 AM

why not? a lot of examples to learn from and on the job training while attending. Perfect set up.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hold on just a second...

Jul 4, 2018, 2:34 PM [ in reply to Hold on just a second... ]

You bet. I'm a law grad from USC Law Center but none of us had any illusions it was a top school, even compared to other state law schools in the south. It is accredited. They are all alike enough that you can get bad and good lawyers coming out of most all of them. By the way, Clemson grads now comprise the second most students at UGA Law, USC Law and Bowman Gray Wake Law. Not bad

What about people like

Jul 3, 2018, 9:52 AM

Francis Marion® who attended USuCk and root for the coots, because they hate Clemson, because they're dumb inbreds? What about them?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Jul 3, 2018, 10:02 AM

Went to USC in 1975 because they had a very good business school and the only thing Clemson offered was accounting which I had zero interest in.
Pulled for Clemson every time we played which left my fraternity brothers very confused!
I do not pull for USC in anything and a very good friend of mine for the last 30 years was their starting quarterback while I was there.

Jul 3, 2018, 10:51 AM

I would say there are many legal and medical professionals who did undergrad at
Clemson and law or med at USC of which both are very hard to get into.

I for one did both and enjoy the good parts of both schools

Most importantly after traveling this great country and parts of the world, there is simply no place like the
State of South Carolina.

We are a unique bunch and I choose to find the positives in each school

Doesn’t happen often and I understand I am the minority.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Goes both ways though. two of my roommates at Clemson

Jul 3, 2018, 11:31 AM

were USuC fans. Born and raised Gamecock fans but went to Clemson for the education...one was in education and the other was pre-vet. They never once pulled for Clemson at anything the entire time we were in school I am sure there are many Clemson fans that do the same.

Jul 3, 2018, 11:43 AM

I was not smart enough to get into Clemson.....therefore, I had to go to Columbia.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 3, 2018, 11:51 AM

My older sister has a law degree from Usuck, and is a season ticket holder for Clemson football and UNC basketball. Craziest thing I ever seen. And she hates the coots with a passion.

Pics of sister.....

Jul 3, 2018, 1:40 PM

Tell her not to sue me. I just want to see what crazy like a Fox looks like.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 4, 2018, 5:31 PM [ in reply to Re: SC grads (Bachelor's degree) that are Clemson Fans ]

Not usual for the Clemson alum to pull for a grad school over Clemson, particularly if that grad school is Carolina. Particularly when you've been to Billy Brice and sen how they behave.

The irony is my Dad went to Carolina and played freshman football before the war. Got his shoulder hurt during spring practice his freshman year. USC kind of dumped him and he never went back to school before being drafted into the war in Belgium and France. Howard, then an assistant, even visited him in the hospital and tried to convince him to come to Clemson, he thought they could find a way.

Dad was always a loyal Carolina fan after, even though they done him a little dirt. And yet he really was that mythical soul who pulled for Clemson any time they were not playing Carolina. Took me to the 77 Notre Dame game.

Jul 3, 2018, 12:04 PM

I know a guy who graduated from Clemson but was a usuc fan. He was born and raised that way. Still is to this day. Went to Clemson but would travel to the arm pit on the weekends to attend football games. And after he graduated he hated Clemson athletics with a passion and talked smack every chance he got.

Graduate of USC - Beaufort

Jul 3, 2018, 7:15 PM

Uncle actually graduated from Clemson (C/o 1981 and 4 years in the band!), so he got me hooked when I moved back in middle school (End of the Whitehurst/Dantzler era).

Started out hell bent on going to Clemson University because I was thinking of becoming an engineer, but later in high school changed to Health Science with the intent to go Pre-Med to become a Pharmacist.

Went the JUCO route to save money and make it an easier transition to MUSC, but grades, time management, and meeting my future wife changed a few things. After two years in JUCO, I decided to try and get into a trade program to avoid getting into student debt (was either head to a 4-year college to keep my schollie or quit school, but I wasn't sold on what I wanted to do for a).

For whatever reason, I was unable to get into the trade programs I was interested in. I had crazy situations such as my financial aid being frozen before I could transfer because the financial aid counselor "didn't know" I was going to transfer, though I told her at the beginning of the year I was; then another trade program I was trying to get into changed their entry requirements basically penalizing anyone not already taking classes there (and when you're a kid without additional funding outside of pell grant, I had to be smart with what I did to keep costs down).

Took that as my sign to go back to college. Flirted with the idea of going to Clemson, but didn't want to strain my relationship and with my future wife following me, she didn't want to be hours away from home so settled on USCB since the campus was nice and I could complete my degree in less than 2 years (which would complete the pell grant limit I had). Later she told me she would have followed me to Clemson, at which I was like, "dadgummit!" However, I would probably have a ton of extra loans (I could rage for days about student loans and the proper education of what college is/should be about). Graduated in 2017 with a degree in Communications.

Of course, a lot of things played into my roll of not going to Clemson; helluva ride...have thought about going to Clemson for a graduate degree, but hoping I do enough with my life to get an honorary degree from there :)

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Graduate of USC - Beaufort

Jul 3, 2018, 9:58 PM

Congrats on the perseverance to graduate! Glad you’re a Clemson fan now!

Jul 3, 2018, 8:05 PM

Loving at home would only save minimal money. Should’ve just gotten a loan and gone to Clemson

Jul 3, 2018, 8:11 PM

On the flip side, I know two recent Clemson grads who grew up SC fans and still pull for SC over Clemson. They are Clemson fans for all other games but their favorite is SC.

Jul 4, 2018, 12:07 AM

Crazy enough, I had a college buddy who changed his career path after graduating from usuc with some sort of degree in media something or other to a BSME from clemson. He is/was a good dude. We met our sophomore year and teamed up until we graduated. I busted his spheres as much as I could about being a chicken, but he never backed down. He was foul through and through, but wanted a reputable engr degree and toughed it out at clemson. I had to respect that even though there's no way in heck I'd ever go to usuc for anything, ever.

Jul 4, 2018, 12:36 AM

There were three of us guys in HS that were good buddies and big Clemson Fans. We lived in lower state but one guy had grandparents in Pendleton and he is the one that got me hooked like in third grade as we would visit during games. Then the other guy's grandfather was a Clemson grad and WW2 survivor. So us three and another friend that didn't care but wanted to go with his buds, we all agreed to go to Clemson Engineering. Problem is the guy that didn't care and myself were the only two to get accepted! It was only place I applied! My buddy with grandparents in Pendleton went to USuC and our buddy that loved Clemson and had Grandfather grad said screw USuC and went to Francis Marion. My buddy that made me a Clemson grad is now a Coot Homer and married a CooT! We don't hang out anymore, haha!

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic