Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Rushing
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Rushing

Jan 23, 2015, 11:44 AM

Admittedly, I'm bored and just want to talk actual football with someone. I've always kept to the premise that national championship caliber teams have to be able to rush the ball (cliche, I know), and this year kind of put an exclamation point on it. In the three college playoff games the winner out rushed their opponent in all three games. The more surprising number is that they out rushed their opponent by an average of 132 yards per game. This could be a case of correlation vs. causality; winning teams tend to run the ball late. The problem with that is Ohio State; both Alabama and Oregon tried to stop the run and force a QB in his 2nd and 3rd start to make throws, but couldn't.

The spread and HUNH may be more valuable than ever, but there has to be some type of power run game. My biggest problem with Chad Morris was he never made adjustments based on a feel for the game; being able to slow the game down when need be. I think the HUNH is a great example of higher expected points but greater variability. I.e. when it's not going well it looks really bad. I'm really excited about Elliot and Scott taking over. I think that they're both intelligent and humble enough to make adjustments in-game.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

mmhm, hopefully smash mouth spread will be more tOSU

Jan 23, 2015, 11:50 AM

and less coach speak now that thechad is gone.

it will help clemson with feaster and others if so. the boys up front like to eat & you feed them by letting them run block, not back peddle most the time in pass pro.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: mmhm, hopefully smash mouth spread will be more tOSU

Jan 23, 2015, 12:00 PM

I don't think talent at RB will be a problem next year. I'm more concerned about our offensive line having to play lights out for 3 or 4 games in a row.

it's not just about talent at rb, but nothing i've seen puts

Jan 23, 2015, 12:06 PM

what we have on the level of a cook or feaster or spiller or ellington.

that is not a diss on our current players, i <3 them all.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I just hope it's less option read. DW is more valuable as a

Jan 23, 2015, 11:53 AM

passer than a RB. Scrambles are fine but leave the rushing to RBs...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I just hope it's less option read. DW is more valuable as a

Jan 23, 2015, 11:57 AM

I think the current coaching staff understands that DW needs to stay healthy.

That misdirection jet sweep reverse parabola was

Jan 23, 2015, 12:03 PM

very effective against USuCk...more sweep please

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it was awesome work and set up some of gallman's big runs.***

Jan 23, 2015, 12:07 PM

Re: it was awesome work and set up some of gallman's big runs.***

Jan 23, 2015, 12:10 PM

Great job by the staff to self evaluate and completely throw off South Carolina's keys

yes it was.***

Jan 23, 2015, 12:11 PM

hard to keep the big dogs on the porch. he needs to learn

Jan 23, 2015, 12:03 PM [ in reply to I just hope it's less option read. DW is more valuable as a ]

to protect himself better, no doubt or as you say, the coaches need to protect deshaun from deshaun...

but that's a heck of a playbook changer.

The O seemed fine against OU without the QB runs. I know

Jan 23, 2015, 12:12 PM

that it's a one off sampling but I hope it's a sign of the future. As well as Stoudt played, DW will be even more productive...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The threat of the QB run

Jan 23, 2015, 12:17 PM

will hopefully open things up next year and keep designed QB runs to a minimum.

That's exactly how it should be used... sparingly.***

Jan 23, 2015, 12:20 PM

the ou defense took away the run & forced stout to

Jan 23, 2015, 12:25 PM [ in reply to The O seemed fine against OU without the QB runs. I know ]

try and beat them, which he did... well, that along with some great individual performances by our wrs and defense.

you are not keeping deshaun in the pocket to take a beating. his feet, instincts and natural ability will take him outside the pocket. he needs to learn to protect himself because even if the coaches don't call another read option you'll see him heading up field.

the qb draws and qb specific runs need to go the way of the dodo until he do or does; can't agree more with that solos.

Tajh broke LSU's will in the 4th Q. DW isn't built for that.***

Jan 23, 2015, 12:32 PM

Re: Tajh broke LSU's will in the 4th Q. DW isn't built for that.***

Jan 23, 2015, 12:43 PM

Choice and Dye are though.

Exactly what I want to see...***

Jan 23, 2015, 12:45 PM

And Fuller...he may be the biggest back on campus***

Jan 23, 2015, 12:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Tajh broke LSU's will in the 4th Q. DW isn't built for that.*** ]

Re: Rushing

Jan 23, 2015, 11:54 AM

I'm your huckleberry. I'll keep it short though. You're correct Clemson needs that power RB that can take a game over. That with Watson, HUNH and incredible receiving core would make Clemson nearly unstoppable. Who to cover...who to cover. I'm hoping that Dye, Fuller or even choice can become Clemson's version of an Ezekiel Thomas/Yeldon/Gurley. Until then, it's a weak point. Go Tigers!

Jan 23, 2015, 12:23 PM

I think Clemson should play triple opton this coming year more. I think with Watson at qb and any 2 (Most likely Gallman, Choice and/or Dye) at rb it will be tough for defenses to stop that wrinkle in the offense. I don't think it should be run 20 times a game but 4 or so times to keep the opposing defense on its heels would be great. Then you can set up play action off the same formation and have an open Scott, Peake, Cain, McCloud, etc. on the deep route and burn the secondary who most likely will play closer to the line in anticipation of the option play.

Jan 23, 2015, 12:26 PM

I think the jet sweep will be our version of the triple option for the foreseeable future. An option game like you're talking about requires a different type of formation and blocking scheme.

That sideline-to-sideline stuff wears on a D big time...

Jan 23, 2015, 12:34 PM

especially when it's run with pace...

Re: That sideline-to-sideline stuff wears on a D big time...

Jan 23, 2015, 12:41 PM

that's another big thing you saw in the playoffs. Depth along the front 7 was so important. Oregon just couldn't compete late.

Jan 23, 2015, 12:40 PM [ in reply to Re: Rushing ]

The jet sweep is Clemson version of the triple.option because a lot of the times those are run/pass option plays where Watson can hand the ball to Scott, pass it, or tuck and run. I'm sure the coaches could teach the o-line to cut block for a straight up triple option play though and with the weapons on offense it'll be hard to stop. Like I stated in my previous post, I wouldn't want to see it run more than just a few times to keep the defense on its heels.

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic