Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Run to set up the pass or pass to set up the run?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1,262

Run to set up the pass or pass to set up the run?

Dec 26, 2019, 2:01 PM

I’m no football coach, and I know we have a balanced attack...just curious is you guys think we’ll come out throwing or running. I know a lot of people say that it is key to establish the running game but I do think TL and our receivers can have success on Saturday and I’d love to see their LBs slipping back a bit and then watch ETN gash them.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Run to set up the pass or pass to set up the run? Only 3

Dec 26, 2019, 2:09 PM

things can happen when we pass it- Higgins, Ross, or Rogers

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Run to set up the pass or pass to set up the run?

Dec 26, 2019, 2:19 PM

Since you're likely to get responses like "doesn't matter what we do, we'll still beat them by 49 points!", I'll try giving you a legitimate response.

I think your question is a very good one. OSU's DL is very good at both pass rushing and run stopping, statistically. Their interior linemen eat up OL and the edge rushers are usually disciplined enough to not just rush up the football field and leave running lanes. That said, TL and the wide receivers are clearly the best OSU has played all year.

The perceived weakness of the OSU defense is the LB corps. Specifically Borland against the pass. He isn't as athletic as Browning and can't make up ground like a Simmons or Malik Harrison for us. That said, Borland excels against the run. He has good instincts here and has a nose for plugging holes. It makes me wonder if the Clemson coaches will specifically call passing plays if they notice Borland in the game or run plays if Browning is in. Conversely, do the OSU defensive coaches go with 2 LBs and run another DB onto the field?

ETN is a spectacular back, with Zach Smith granting him the best back in country on his podcast a couple weeks ago. Noted his elusivity, YAC, speed. I don't think, however, that Clemson is a run-first type offense (admittedly I haven't watched enough Clemson games to tell you what they do in the first quarter of games), but I believe in the big games the passing has led them, allowing ETN to then do his thing when teams are forced to drop 5-6.

It will be a great chess match, but if I had to bet I would imagine the gameplan for Clemson would be to pass to open up the run.

Dec 26, 2019, 2:28 PM

Your Dline is definitely better than our Dline.

Dec 26, 2019, 2:20 PM

I say our game plan will be run to set up the pass.
Ohio State's primary plan on defense is stop ETN.

Exact same when you switch sides.

Whoever wins the trenches, wins the game.

If neither offense can establish the run, we are in a very strong position to win, maybe comfortably. They need Dobbins to be successful more than we need ETN because our passing game is harder to stop.

Dec 26, 2019, 2:25 PM

Interesting. Do you view Clemson as a run-first kind of team?

I don't see you as an Oregon type offense under Chip Kelly (finesse, with no power), but I also don't think you're a ground and pound team that tries pick their moments for big plays. To me, Clemson's offense is balanced in pass vs. run plays, but that the pass opens up the field for run plays. The threat of the WRs down the field, and even sideline to sideline, creates huge gaps for ETN to do his thing, and when you throw in his elusivity, he can break huge runs.

Dec 26, 2019, 3:03 PM

Funny you would mention Oregon, who is my #2 team behind Clemson.

Here is an interesting fact about Chip Kelly most people don't realize: Before Marcus Mariota, his UO teams were run, run, run, pass. The difference is they did it with tempo which would disrupt the gap integrity of defenses. They probably ran up the "A" gap more than any team in college football. Another difference was they did it from different angles with a lot of misdirection.

It wasn't until Mariota that Oregon became a passing team. I'm totally serious.

Our offense is balanced, which is why it is so great. But ETN is the weapon defenses fear the most because if you allow him a few 4, 5, 8-yard carries, you know he's going to bust one to the house somewhere in there. Therefore, controlling the LOS against us is paramount.

What could happen is early on Ohio State dedicates themselves to stopping ETN and pick TL as the lesser poison (this is what I would do). Once we have enough success in the passing game, they have to loosen up on the back end and ETN goes to town.

If they allow ETN to have success early, it's either poor coaching or trench domination. IMO, we should test their D-line to see if they can stop us.

We are not a "run first" or "pass first" team. However, if a team cannot stop ETN, we will adapt and run him down their throats.

Dec 26, 2019, 3:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Run to set up the pass or pass to set up the run? ]

LOL, just realized you are a Buckeye fan. Didn't bother reading you moniker.

Maybe a first play on a short pass.

Dec 26, 2019, 3:09 PM

But this will certainly be a run first offense. Clemson doesn't have to pass first, you can bet OSU secondary will be peeking to see what TL is doing. Still, we'll probably run first for at least half of the first quarter in order to verify the weaknesses we saw in film review.

Bama though it could play to stop the run and failed. We played Bama to stop the run and ultimately succeeded though we gave up a ton of real estate. I see this going the same way.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 26, 2019, 6:57 PM

A big part of our game is RPO, so Trevor will line them up and look to see what the defense is giving him and we will take that.

Dec 26, 2019, 7:46 PM

Yes

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 10
| visibility 1,262
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic