Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
RulesNet.....Advancing on a dropped 3rd strike
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

RulesNet.....Advancing on a dropped 3rd strike

Apr 26, 2018, 9:30 AM

Interesting situation last night.

2 outs, runners on the corners, Clemson at bat (forgot who). Batter strikes out and the catcher drops the ball. Batter wasn't tagged and started to run until the ump called out. Catcher lobbed the ball toward the mound as the PC team headed to the dugout.

Was this not a live ball? No one challenged it and it didn't make a difference in the score, just curious why he was out.

FYI - the rule:

Rule 6.09 (b): The batter becomes a runner when the third strike called by the umpire is not caught, providing (1) first base is unoccupied or (2) first base is occupied with two out.

If on a pitch which is called strike three (whether swung at or not), the catcher does not catch the ball (including if it bounces before he catches it), the batter is not automatically out. He can try to run to first base before the catcher either tags him with the ball, or throws the ball to first.
An exception to this is if there is a runner on first base already. (This is because that runner would then have to go to second, and the defense could try and get 2 outs on the play. To prevent that from being able to happen, a batter is automatically out on strike 3 if the catcher does not catch ball, when there is a runner on 1st)
An exception to this exception is if there are already 2 outs, then the batter is not out even if there is a runner on 1st.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

The score probably had something to do with it

Apr 26, 2018, 9:55 AM

umpires get paid for outs. In a run away game they need to find outs anyway they can.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: RulesNet.....Advancing on a dropped 3rd strike

Apr 26, 2018, 10:01 AM

I think the bases were loaded and the catcher stepped on home plate in the situation you are talking about and that would be the correct call.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work Hard, Do Your Best, Keep Your Word, Never Get Too Big For Your Britches, Trust In God, Have no fear and Never Forget a Friend ~ Harry S. Truman

That would make sense.

Apr 26, 2018, 10:03 AM

I missed that part.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Re: That would make sense.

Apr 26, 2018, 10:30 AM

Retired is exactly correct. The catcher simply stepped on the plate and got the force out. The exact same situation occurred in the Miami series and Wilkie threw to first base instead of stepping on the plate. I almost went crazy because he could have thrown the ball into right field and three runs would have scored. Coach Lee did say something to Wilkie when that happened, so let's hope he learned from that teaching point.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 26, 2018, 10:28 AM [ in reply to Re: RulesNet.....Advancing on a dropped 3rd strike ]

Yep, remember qualk saying that now.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bases Were Loaded

Apr 26, 2018, 11:25 AM

so all the catcher had to do was step on home to execute a force OUT!

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

I think bases were loaded and catcher stepped on plate?***

Apr 26, 2018, 11:27 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 26, 2018, 11:51 AM

NO OFFENSE TO A GREAT GAME BUT THE 3RD STRIKE PASSED BALL IS THE WORST RULE IN THE HISTORY OF ANY SPORT. A BATTER CAN SWING AT A PITCH SO BAD THAT THE CATCHER CAN NOT EVEN FIELD IT AND HE IS AWARDED 1ST BASE IF HE CAN GET THERE BEFORE THE CATCHER RETRIEVES THE BALL. THAT IS THE PERFECT EXAMPLE OF BEING AWARDED FOR FAILURE. I COULD SEE THAT RULE IN TODAYS SCREWED UP SOCIETY BUT THAT RULE HAS BEEN IN PLACE FOREVER. NEVER HAVE BEEN ABLE TO FIGURE THAT ONE OUT.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 26, 2018, 12:02 PM

It’s called make the play catcher or don’t wild pitch pitcher! For most not hard to figure out but for u calling everyone an idiot on most every post the word may be reversed here!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic