Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Roku versus streaming through tv
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Roku versus streaming through tv

Sep 10, 2020, 11:11 AM

I've got a Sony that is about 14 months old. The software with it seems to not work well for streaming. By example Amazon Prime tends to freeze up on the newest version so I have to reset to the original factory installed version. Have any of you gotten better results using Roku than your smart tv software or is it just a gimmick that sticks me with another remote for streaming.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Love the Rokus.

Sep 10, 2020, 11:20 AM

But, I have an old Panasonic Plasma(great picture that can handle dark/black scenes) that isn't "smart" that I have one on and a Vizio "smart" tv with the other one.

Prefer the Roku.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

For the two TVs I watch..,.

Sep 10, 2020, 11:20 AM

one is a Vizio smart TV and the apps work well most of the time...occasionally I'll have hiccup but nothing problematic. I use a Roku on the other TV and never have issues.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Roku works great for me. Very simple remote. I only use

Sep 10, 2020, 11:22 AM

the TV remote to change the source to watch over-the-air antenna or DVD player. Use it with YTTV, Amazon Prime, Pluto, Stirr, Crackle, etc.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dang! Do you ever leave the recliner?***

Sep 10, 2020, 3:37 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Mostly watch Tigers on Youtube! I think that's been the

Sep 10, 2020, 3:58 PM

best part of having the Roku and streaming TV!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We use the Apple TV box

the box is a more expensive up front cost, but FAR out performs all others like Roku or Fire Stick.
And yes, most TV apps are crap.
Never have any issues with the apple box.
And BTW, the YouTube TV streaming service is what we've used the last three years. Love it.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

They all use the same apps

Sep 10, 2020, 1:37 PM

Apple doesn't own the rights to ESPN's app, or hbos..etc.

The hardware is the difference. I would guess this guy's sony tv just doesn't have the hardware or firmware to run this stuff

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: Roku versus streaming through tv

I switched to the fire-stick for that very reason. The stick seems to be much more responsive. Have been a Sony man my entire life but when(if) I buy a new TV I'm going Samsung. My kids Samsung blows my Sony out the water....and we both have the same provider.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

Roku boxes are great. I have 5 in my house. One is connected to my Samsung 65" because the Samsung software won't work with some of the streaming apps I use.

The main issue I found with Roku is the need for a second remote. I solved that problem by using Sideclicks with the Roku remotes:

https://www.sideclickremotes.com/

I recently replaced a Samsung TV in a bedroom with a TCL 43" that has built-in Roku. It works well, also and is probably the best solution, but only if you're replacing a TV.

Sep 10, 2020, 11:26 AM

I have an older Vizo (4 years old) and it doesn’t stream very well. I get much better results with a Roku.

Sep 10, 2020, 11:26 AM

I have an older Vizo (4 years old) and it doesn’t stream very well. I get much better results with a Roku.

Sep 10, 2020, 11:34 AM

Roku is awesome through any TV, and I highly recommend YouTube TV- not missing anything from Xfinity/Comcast besides a higher monthly bill.

Sep 10, 2020, 11:35 AM

I have an Apple TV box on our main family TV. It is the best streaming device I have used, especially if you are an iphone owner. The Apple device outperforms the others in every area that I have experienced but is a much pricier option.

I also have a FireTV box.

I have used Roku devices at other locations.

I would say the only difference with the Amazon streaming devices and Rokus is the visual setup and user interface. That is completely a preference thing but the functionality of the two brands in terms of performance is pretty similar. I would maybe give a slight edge to Roku over the Amazon streaming products.

or try chromecast. no remote. just phone to cast

Sep 10, 2020, 11:47 AM

I like roku and chromecast both.
Both have their place, depending on your need.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 10, 2020, 3:26 PM

You can just get a free roku controller app for your phone or tablet.

Sep 10, 2020, 3:32 PM

I use Roku sticks for streaming. My TVs are generally

Sep 10, 2020, 3:41 PM

dumb, but the Roku sticks do fairly well. I have to restart them once every 3 weeks or so ... probably due to the dumb TV aspect. TVs are about 6-7 years old. Yes, I know, I need to update.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic