Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Riley Cooper
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 1

Riley Cooper

Aug 3, 2013, 3:29 AM

Just want to throw in my 2 cents. I got no dog in this figtht, but Let all the players in the nfl of any color that have never said a racial "unacceptable" or offensive word toward a white guy , or asian or hispanic, or black or white/ Let us us Know how you became so perfect, we will follow , get real

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Riley Cooper

Aug 3, 2013, 3:46 AM

simply, Guys are guys and they will work out ther differences (in most cases} if you give them spACE AND PRIVACY. Put cooper in the eagles locker room and and let all the guys that have never said a bad word towards a person of another race line up and hit in the face weith an object of their choice, what5 happens?

Aug 3, 2013, 7:04 AM

Perhaps. We will never know all of the bad things other people say. However, I grew up in a much less politically correct era in the rural south and I would never have used the "n word" at that age. I really do think its use tells A LOT anout the user. At best, and probably most likely, it shows insensitivity. Sure, we have't walked in his shoes, and those shoes may well have walked through a difficult life, but man, I just can't imagine a reasonable 20-something talking like that. I think that if I were a black teammate of his I would REALLY question what is inside him. I am sure he is sorry and I am sure he will try to earn back trust. I hope he does.

Aug 3, 2013, 7:35 AM

What he said was wrong,but the media response is off the charts bs. This country is far too politically correct because of the ultraliberal media.

Aug 4, 2013, 10:01 PM

I agree that the response has been way over the top, but that doesn't change the fact that what he said says a LOT about what is inside of him, and it ain't good.

Aug 3, 2013, 9:47 AM [ in reply to Re: Riley Cooper ]

Well he should not have said what he said,but let's face it,none of these people who claim it offends them were ever slaves or lived through that time. It is like me claiming I know how tough the Great Depression was. Also if it offends said people so much then all rappers should held accountable for their insensitivity. Don't give me this BS it is OK for them to use it because they are black. If it is wrong it is wrong no matter what color you are.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 4, 2013, 10:49 PM

Correct. None of those folks lived through slavery. But the word was used primarily by non-black folks as a way to dehumanize black folks long after slavery was abolished. So really, whether or not they lived through slavery is not the point.

I haven't given anyone any "BS" that it is ok for black people to use the word. It isn't, but for different reasons, in my opinion.

Unfortunately, we all identify and build walls based on our race or culture. So when someone uses language that their race has used in the recent past to denigrate and dehumanize another race, the members of that other race will understandably be offended. They can't help but hear it in that context.

As a white male, it is hard for me to empathize, but when I add my southerness to the mix, I can think of a similar example: I tend to take offense when a left wing elitist (LWE) calls me a redneck, but I don't when a friend does. Imagine the following hypothetical: I am moving furniture into my house and get the couch on the porch and can’t get it in the front door. I call a friend to help and sit on the couch on the porch waiting on him. While I wait, a LWE drives by in his Prius and comments to the passenger, “Look, Buffy. There goes the neighborhood with these rednecks moving in.” My friend arrives and laughingly says “Oh Lord. There goes the neighborhood – all these rednecks moving in!” You are #### right that I take more offense at LWE’s comments. Honestly, this might seem to trivialize the use of the "N" word because “redneck” can be used to dismiss someone as less intelligent or less refined while the “N” word has been used to dehumanize, discriminate and intimidate. But still, the point is that the context and speaker do make a difference.

Now, is it wrong for black folks to use the word? I think so because it can send mixed messages and cause confusion. It also gives some people an excuse for their own insensitivity or outright soul-sickness.

Aug 5, 2013, 9:05 AM

Correct yourself, slavery was abolished in the U.S. Slavery is still and always has been going on in the country where most of the black race come from, AFRICA, the black American home land. The whole subject of blaming the white race for slavery is laughable on a large scale. Especially since the U.S. was one of the last countries to have had slavery, and one of the first countries to have ended it. And dear ole Africa, the home land of most black Americans still has SLAVERY even today in the year of 2013. Until black Americans except that white Americans didn't invent slavery here in America, they will always hate white America. But only the middle class white America when only the rich white America were the ones that had slaves. LOL, black and white Americans hate them b/c their RICH. ;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 4, 2013, 11:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Riley Cooper ]

There are no living people in the United States that were ever slaves. Neither were their mothers, fathers, or their great grand parents. And if those are the reasons they were offended. Then lets just go on back to when white people were slaves also. What really gets me is this, blacks in Africa still has slavery today. And the African tribe leaders way back were the one's selling their own people into slavery to the Europeans and other countries. And the Europeans were the one's that brought slavery to the U.S. for sale or trade over 150 years ago. Stop using and hating white people of today for something we had no part in. Just as there are no blacks of today ever been a slave. If the black race still need to blame/hate someone for there ever being a slave in the U.S. Start first by blaming and hating the rich African Kings that sold their own people for less than 5 bucks a Head to remain in slavery, but in America. It's 2013 now, the race hate and the slavery excuse should have been over years ago.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 3, 2013, 10:55 AM [ in reply to Re: Riley Cooper ]

what? i'll bet there's not a single black player on any team pro or college that doesn't have a cd in his possession that harps out the N-word continueously....but let whitey slip and use it ....then it becomes racial and then we need sensitivity training....gtfo!

During the fifties it was a common term used...

Aug 3, 2013, 11:14 AM [ in reply to Re: Riley Cooper ]

by rude whites and also some rude blacks to offend. Polite folks never used it. If I used it, it was always out of anger when I was near to being upset enough to fight.

'Colored,' was acceptable to describe a black person if it was needed in order to make a tale or report accurate.

If white folks want racial respect we should show it to others. Disrespecting black folks for their race degrades us. Blacks disrespect themselves enough already with racial displays, they don't need me helping them with slanderous ramblings.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: During the fifties it was a common term used...

Aug 3, 2013, 11:44 AM

No not sticking up for what is right degrades us as a race. Our race in general tends to roll over and give every other race what it wants while cutting our noses off in the process. I ain't buying that crap,sorry buddy.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, sticking up for what's right makes us just as trashy as

Aug 3, 2013, 7:18 PM

the active white PC crowd and the black that use racial slurs.

No need to stick up for anything but your own behavior and attitude. If you behave then there's no reason to get involved with the racist trash. Yes, I'm calling the PC crowd racist. Let them argue amongst themselves.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: During the fifties it was a common term used...

Aug 4, 2013, 9:58 PM [ in reply to Re: During the fifties it was a common term used... ]

The human race is degraded whenever we attack each other, claim offense or spend more energy claiming rights rather than helping or serving others.

The NFL will probably issue a statement that they will

Aug 3, 2013, 8:01 AM

not condone the behavior of Riley Cooper and most of all will in no, way, shape or form will the league have any role in promoting players who conduct themselves in that manner.

Then they'll have it signed by Roger Goodell and Ray Lewis.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

People need to learn how to be offended, accept apologies,

Aug 3, 2013, 8:40 AM

and GET OVER IT! If there is recidivism, then dole out justice or punishment on the individual.

This world has gotten OUT OF CONTROL concerning political correctness. If you are a white, conservative, successful male ... you will go through H_LL. God help the individual if they are an evangelical Christian, as well.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Re: People need to learn how to be offended, accept apologies,

Aug 3, 2013, 10:14 AM

Awww. Us white males have it so tough.

Re: People need to learn how to be offended, accept apologies,

Aug 4, 2013, 11:32 AM

2009_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

next it will be wrong to call a gay the word gay***

Aug 3, 2013, 11:59 AM [ in reply to People need to learn how to be offended, accept apologies, ]

Have you seen the idiocy coming out of Seattle?

Aug 3, 2013, 8:36 PM

No more "brown bag" lunches.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

yeah i heard about that..

Aug 3, 2013, 8:50 PM

and schools can no longer refer to freshmen as freshmen

Re: yeah i heard about that..

Aug 4, 2013, 10:55 PM

I suppose we could call first year men "freshmen" and first year women "freshwomen" (cue the Beavis and Butthead laugh hee hee, hee hee), but somehow I don't think that is what the PC crown is looking for!!

Oh it's so terrible being white, male, and rich in this….

Aug 4, 2013, 4:15 PM [ in reply to People need to learn how to be offended, accept apologies, ]

country. I mean seriously how do rich white male's make it through the day, with all their money and living a sheltered life being completely ignorant of what's going on in the world around them. It's such a hard life to come home to your 70 inch wide screen hdtv, your trophy wife. I really don't understand how rich white males can make it through the day. I'm surprised rich white males just don't blow their heads off, with all the pressures of being given every advantage that 99% of humanity doesn't get.

Re: Oh it's so terrible being white, male, and rich in this….

Aug 4, 2013, 4:48 PM

You are an idiot.

The vast majority of people don't know what it's like to be

Aug 5, 2013, 12:51 AM [ in reply to Oh it's so terrible being white, male, and rich in this…. ]

rich.

No matter what race...no matter what sex....

exactly..

Aug 3, 2013, 8:42 AM

what grinds my gears all the time.is the false outrage you see in situations like this.in life everyone says something offensive at some point.i dont care who they are.

Aug 3, 2013, 10:17 AM

Amazing! We hear tons on badmouthing Cooper, but I have seen NOTHING duscussed concerning Marcus Vicks comment??

Let it go, or crucify them both!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

trayvon referred to zimmerman..

Aug 3, 2013, 11:18 AM

as a crazy arsed cracker..but we heard crickets about that while hearing zimmerman who made no mention of race or racial slurs was made to be the racist.im just sick of the hypocrisy and people who sit on their high horses in this country.the ones who yell the loudest wanting cooper fired are the ones who say offensive things the most.they speak up loud to mask what they do.

Al Sharpton is the biggest racist.***

Aug 4, 2013, 9:33 PM

Re: Al Sharpton is the biggest racist.***

Aug 5, 2013, 9:29 AM

Al Sharpton is a racist only b/c it keeps the blacks funneling money to his pockets/bank accounts as long as he can keep racism at the highest level. Most blacks fall in behind Sharpton b/c he is a well educated black that is putting a false front for the very poor and very uneducated blacks. He is a modern day African king of the U.S.that makes his fortune from the uneducated american black race. He is no different from today's and yesterday African Kings in Africa. Except Sharpton sells slavery of the past to keep racism alive and well to his people. Without racism, Sharpton would have to get a real job, and not ride from town to town keeping racism alive.

Riley Cooper plays in the NFL, Marcus Vick doesn't….

Aug 4, 2013, 4:18 PM [ in reply to Re: Riley Cooper ]

the only thing relevant about Marcus Vick is he is the brother of Marcus Vick. Riley Cooper decent receiver in the NFL is a lot more relevant than a has been college player.

Jason Whitlock - FoxSports - on Coopergate

Aug 3, 2013, 10:22 AM

Best article I've read on this issue. Takes media to task for their coverage, etc. One of my favorite sports writers.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and the link i forgot to post

Aug 3, 2013, 10:23 AM

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/whitlock-riley-cooper-eagles-wr-n-word-gaffe-offers-perfect-time-to-evolve-and-learn-080113

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Riley Cooper has been tried and convicted by a

Aug 3, 2013, 10:29 AM

jury of hypocrites.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When was his trial and who was the judge, what state was it

Aug 4, 2013, 4:22 PM

in? Oh it, never happened.

Duh...the media!***

Aug 4, 2013, 10:29 PM

How shocking to see people here defending use of the N word

Aug 3, 2013, 11:56 AM

Not really, sadly.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not defending such behavior, just pointing out racism....

Aug 3, 2013, 8:42 PM

goes both ways. There are some who think only white people can be racist.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 5, 2013, 8:57 AM

I think we can all learn a few things from Louis CK on how terrible it is to be white:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG4f9zR5yzY

:) :) :)

Replies: 38
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic