Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
South Carolina is getting too much hype
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

South Carolina is getting too much hype

Jul 31, 2014, 12:02 AM

This may be Germans but I didn't see it on the front page. (Of course I may have over looked it) ttp://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2145990-as-weird-as-it-sounds-south-carolina-is-getting-too-much-preseason-hype-in-2014

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: South Carolina is getting too much hype

Jul 31, 2014, 12:02 AM

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2145990-as-weird-as-it-sounds-south-carolina-is-getting-too-much-preseason-hype-in-2014

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 31, 2014, 1:55 AM

yet i've had some gamecock fans tell me we're overhyped for what we've lost. I laughed at the irony.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 31, 2014, 4:53 AM

Coot logic

Jul 31, 2014, 9:36 AM

The thing is that we're not getting much hype. There are some obvious issues and a challenging schedule, particularly early on. Every preseason poll or prognosticator I've read seems to be betting on the Tigers to lose to UGa, FSU, and usc-e.

I believe most Clemson folks would acknowledge that

Jul 31, 2014, 6:12 AM

South Carolina deserves a measure of respect.

I, also, believe much of the pre-season hype is due to Steve Spurrier's continued reign, for many pundits believe he has the abilities to coach up his talent and size up his opponents.

Whether or not those abilities work this year remains to be seen. Regardless, no opponent should take him lightly, especially us despite the season they have.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't see anything in your post that I can disagree with..***

Jul 31, 2014, 6:29 AM

Re: I believe most Clemson folks would acknowledge that

Jul 31, 2014, 8:38 AM [ in reply to I believe most Clemson folks would acknowledge that ]

> South Carolina deserves a measure of respect.
>
> I, also, believe much of the pre-season hype is due
> to Steve Spurrier's continued reign, for many pundits
> believe he has the abilities to coach up his talent
> and size up his opponents.
>
> Whether or not those abilities work this year remains
> to be seen. Regardless, no opponent should take him
> lightly, especially us despite the season they have.

Hartins -
most on here despise Spurrier but what he's done at SCAR is nothing short of remarkable. SC doesn't win last year's game without Spurrier.....I think the last TD was a play Spurrier was setting up the whole game.....brought in a qb who had been running it all night and the kid sucks in the LB's only to lob a pass to a wide open RB on a 3rd and 2 play. Most coaches are trying to run out the clock at that point. The game is still in doubt until that TD.

Re: I believe most Clemson folks would acknowledge that

Jul 31, 2014, 9:39 AM [ in reply to I believe most Clemson folks would acknowledge that ]

I agree what he has done at SC is remarkable.

But, why so much more respect this year? I think they're being hyped even more than last year when they had some stars on that team.

Because of the seasons he's had. 11-1 the past three years?

Jul 31, 2014, 5:19 PM

Most coaches would get the benefit of the doubt.

Spurrier's going to get more than that, and it shows in the pre-season polls.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I love it, just means the fall harder.

Jul 31, 2014, 6:25 AM

Ànd gives our guys more more motivation at the same time.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 31, 2014, 8:31 AM

They get the hype from their conference affiliation, drawing a relatively light schedule on the East side of it and avoiding the real strength of the conference. They have performed pretty good at times, though, and they have managed to figure a way to win the only relative OOC game they have (with us) lately, even when they shouldn't have. Hopefully, that changes this year. If they hiccup and lose a few game, I predict that spurlid retires to Florida and forgets he ever lowered himself enough to go to cola.

Dont Worry they will Fall ... I'd rather fly under the Radar

Jul 31, 2014, 9:14 AM

Just Watch LOL

Spurrier obviously thinks he has a great team this year from

Jul 31, 2014, 10:17 AM

his comments. "We think we have a pretty good team." He's not even poor mouthing like usual. Will be interesting to see if he's right.

Re: From where.....SC is starting this season ranked about

Jul 31, 2014, 12:55 PM

exactly where they have started the past 3 or 4 years....

Anywhere from 8 to 11th in most rankings and they have outdone those projections in each of those seasons.

There is little doubt that if either Bama, UGA, UF, FSU, Notre Dame or UT had finished the previous season ranked #4 in the BCS with the youngest team in NCAA football and returned the number of players which SC returns that they would be a consensus Top 5 nearly everywhere.

SC isn't picked to win the SEC again and most of the Southeastern papers are in love with UGA again as usual for the East.

Where are they overhyped?

Tell the full story about that #4 ranking, though

Jul 31, 2014, 5:23 PM

No conference champ appearance, and you played a crap bowl game. As far as I'm concerned, that #4 ranking was earned by default, more a function of other teams losing than you closing the season out in a conf champ/BCS bowl.

Re: Tell the full story about that #4 ranking, though

Jul 31, 2014, 5:49 PM

Agreed. SCar backed into the #4 ranking like Spurrier's Florida team backed into the 1996 title game.

Backed into that ranking like Clemson backed into the Orange

Jul 31, 2014, 10:50 PM

Bowl.

Re: Right...bhahahahhaahah, that is the worst one yet....

Jul 31, 2014, 10:05 PM [ in reply to Tell the full story about that #4 ranking, though ]

backed into it, right....well it certainly hurt beating some middle-tier teams in the later part of the season..

BCS.....Besides matching losses to #4 SC a couple of the BCS teams both have something else in common....UCF and Clemson both hold the distinction of being beaten by Dylan Thompson in their own stadiums.

Jul 31, 2014, 10:22 PM

Thompson almost blew that game. Only reason he is credited for the win is because he handed off to Davis a lot in that game.

Jul 31, 2014, 10:51 PM [ in reply to Re: Right...bhahahahhaahah, that is the worst one yet.... ]

They also have to the distinction of going to BCS Bowl games HTH

Maybe if all the SEC teams weren't so overrated (the subject of this thread), members of the conference wouldn't feel so compelled to complain about the BCS rules.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic