Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Rewatched first half last night. Thoughts on stamina:
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

Rewatched first half last night. Thoughts on stamina:

Jan 9, 2019, 9:45 AM

Interestingly in the first quarter, Clemson had only run 10 offensive plays and Alabama had run 25 (I can’t verify this I tried but pretty sure they said this in the cast). Anyways with 12:45 left in the second quarter commentators note that bamas line is hands on hip sucking wind. Now about the same time Clemson’s line is getting oxygen on the sidelines. No doubt our guys are exhausted too. But after 10 plus a few plays I don’t understand how:
1). Bama dline was so gassed already
2). How are they so dominant against sec opponents if that reflects their conditioning?

I’ll watch the second half tonight. But if I see what I think I remember, both their oline and dline was a little stronger than ours at the beginning. But clearly, as the game goes on our lines conditioning is reflected as it almost seems like we are getting stronger. I know it’s because they are getting gassed. But is it possible that a team as dominant as bama has been is that poorly conditioned? Oklahoma showed that the number one thing was to survive their initial surge, which they didn’t, and then you can win. We not only survived but flourished then dominated.

Message was edited by: lovingit®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Playing depth throughout the year matters.....

Jan 9, 2019, 9:58 AM

It set us up to rotate guys in during a game that matters, and kept our guys fresher for the 15 game season.
I’m sure Bama played some backups throughout the season in garbage time...but I doubt they played as many snaps as our guys did overall.
The time of possession/total play stuff was lopsided early due to the pick 6 and our quick strike score....but it evened out as the game went on.
By the fourth quarter (which they have not played many competitive ones)...it probably wasn’t the physical conditioning as much as it was the mental (which is part of it!)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

agree with your pts, but it seems like every time I looked

Jan 9, 2019, 10:03 AM

out there CW42 and Huggins were out there. Obviously XT was out there a decent amount. I'll have to look at the number of plays people played and compare how many different people we played in this game. I do agree that rotating through the year likely led to our guys being fresher and I'm sure our line wasn't working as hard as their line in the semifinal 3rd and 4th quarter. And totally agree there is a mental fatigue factor in there as well.

Re: Playing depth throughout the year matters.....

Jan 9, 2019, 11:22 AM [ in reply to Playing depth throughout the year matters..... ]

I looked this up a few weeks back and found participation data for Bama on rolltide.com.

Average players playing per game (during regular season) are:
Clemson: 73.7
Bama: 56.3

Maybe not a completely apt analogy, but it reminded me a

Jan 9, 2019, 10:05 AM

little of Ali / Foreman. Ali used his superior brains to survive the brawn of Foreman early on, let him punch himself out, then came off the ropes and destroyed him. Bama, like Foreman, was used to knocking people out early. That is why the Pick 6 was so pivotal, even though it was very early in the game. It let Bama know that there was not going to be any quick knockout in THIS game. In our previous games, even the one we won, we were always fighting from behind. This meant Bama could count on their running game to eat clock. Our offense in this game took that away from them, and forced them to be a pass first team, which, as it turns out, they were not that good at. This is when the conditioning really came into play. This is why Dabo playing so many players all year was so important. It might not have been needed against the ACC, but he knew that depth and conditioning would be needed in the playoffs. Dabo is won smart Cheerleader.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, and to think half tnet is pizzed we are playing backups

Jan 9, 2019, 10:11 AM

and not beating teams 70-3 week in week out. Yes, sometimes I would like the breathing room, but he has built quality depth. Also, our sophomores, Juniors likely have a lot more reps than other teams' SO, JRs, so this will pay off again next year too. Not to mention prevention of injury in our first team. Dabo's a heck of a chess player . . .

Re: Maybe not a completely apt analogy, but it reminded me a

Jan 9, 2019, 10:24 AM [ in reply to Maybe not a completely apt analogy, but it reminded me a ]

Great boxing analogy.

Re: Rewatched first half last night. Thoughts on stamina:

Jan 9, 2019, 10:19 AM

That’s one of the things I’ve always noticed about Bama. They are not well conditioned. I was shocked with the TOP and total yardage being so heavily in their favor that we were in the game by the second quarter but that pick six kept the score close. Oklahoma proved that if you could keep the game from getting away from you through the first quarter and a half you can wear them down and beat them. Oklahoma gave up too much too quickly to overcome them but we all knew that Okie’s defense was suspect. Just my thoughts about it. Great game. Great win. We proved that if you can survive their attempt to land a knock out blow early they are beatable. We had the both the athletes and the game plan to do so. We are the only team with the right combination to knock them off.

Clemson 2018=GOAT?

Yeah the int for a td was huuuuuge! Otherwise we could have been

Jan 9, 2019, 11:02 AM

Easily looking at 14-0 hole as opposed to keeping it close. Our defense kept them from scoring after just a few seconds into the second quarter which is amazing. I still don’t get his fake field goal attempt. Primarily the play call. It was obvious we were thinking about it and then to have kicker block? Hahaha, that didn’t end up well

Message was edited by: lovingit®

Jan 9, 2019, 11:06 AM

Commentators mentioned that AL's DL was as talented as ours (in terms of draft picks) but didn't have the same level of depth. Something like, "The front 4 have to keep playing every snap because they drop off pretty hard after that."

I'm sure that was a factor. Our depth at DL allows Venables and Dabo to sub in guys at will for even a play or two, with no noticeable drop-off. Over four quarters that matters. The final goal-line stance we made in the 4th quarter to keep Bama scoreless in the second half was HUGE.

we need to hit on at least one DT freshman to continue the

Jan 9, 2019, 11:12 AM

depth, which I think we did in Tyler. Pinckney and Williams are beasts. Darnell Jeffries sounded like he was good. Hopefully take another step in spring/ off season. If X Kelly can make a move at DT we should be good to go again. I will always wonder if Dex would have come back if not for the drug test. Seems like he is the low key type that would enjoy another year in college.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wonder if Jordan Williams could make some noise too, I sure would

Jan 9, 2019, 11:17 AM

Like to see that. I was obsessed with his high school tape and size but he outgrew a typical lb size and was just under dl size. I’d sure like him to come out and wreak some havoc.

Jan 9, 2019, 11:20 AM

This year Bama never faced a team as deep, as talented and as athletic as Clemson. That’s a fact.

Both sides of the ball.***

Jan 9, 2019, 11:22 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bama jumped on OK

Jan 9, 2019, 11:31 AM

getting a big lead, so they survived the rally (plus OK has no D). UGA chokes (and Bama knows this). Clemson kicked their butts all game long.

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic