Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Player Update: Watkins named Sporting News Freshman of the Year
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 2,228

Football Player Update: Watkins named Sporting News Freshman of the Year

Dec 14, 2011, 11:00 AM

Watkins named Sporting News Freshman of the Year

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Full text of article here:

Dec 14, 2011, 11:03 AM

Three reasons this won’t be the last national award Clemson wide receiver Sammy Watkins wins:

1. He is fast. It is rare that one player is obviously so much faster than everybody else on the field, but that’s Watkins. It is the first thing you notice about his game, whether you are watching him on TV, in person or on highlight videos. He simply runs away from defenders.

His career at Clemson wasn’t a day old before he started giving his teammates, “Oh, wow!” moments. For Tigers cornerback Coty Sensabaugh, that moment came when Watkins blazed down the field … with his shoes untied. “I knew he was going to be special right then and there.”

Adds linebacker Corico Hawkins about Watkins’ highlights: “There’s so many I can’t even tell you. He’s one of those cats where he’s just ahead of his time.”

2. He is aggressive—before, during and after plays. Offensive coordinator Chad Morris loves Watkins’ personality on and off the field. Watkins gets in his teammates’ faces to exhort them and exhibits the same go-get-it attitude when the ball is in the air.

“He attacks the football as good as anybody I’ve ever seen,” coach Dabo Swinney says. “He doesn’t sit around and wait on it.”

3. He is smart. He enjoys out-thinking defenses as much as he enjoys outrunning them. Take, for example, his favorite route. It’s called Sneak Two, and it’s a simple little pattern of about 8 yards. Watkins’ job is to find a soft spot in the zone defense, squat in it and wait for the ball. “You can call that play any time you want to,” he says. “It’s open every play.”

He has caught more than a dozen passes on that route alone this season. The fruit comes later. “I run a lot of short routes that’ll bring everybody up,” Watkins says. “The next thing you know, go for the deep ball; it’ll be wide open.”

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2011-12-13/clemson-wr-sammy-watkins-named-sns-freshman-of-the-year#ixzz1gWdzZiZt

Message was edited by: ClawJr®

Re: Full text of article here:

Dec 14, 2011, 11:09 AM

Well written post. Nice

Re: Full text of article here:

Dec 14, 2011, 11:10 AM

Oh wait...I just realized that was the text of the article. I thought you wrote that haha. Either way, thanks for posting it

4 YEARS ?

Dec 14, 2011, 4:16 PM [ in reply to Full text of article here: ]

With so much success early in Clemson career all that goes through my head is how lucky we are he came here and I will be shocked if we have him here 4 full years.

Re: 4 YEARS ?

Dec 14, 2011, 7:34 PM

No way. This kid is too good. Two more years so we better enjoy him while we've got him.

It's going to be fun to watch him get even better if that is imaginable!

"and the awards just keep on comin'" Congrats!!!***

Dec 14, 2011, 11:05 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's gonna need a bigger trophy cabinet!***

Dec 14, 2011, 11:12 AM

I hear Santa is bringing one for him

Dec 14, 2011, 11:15 AM

;)

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

Reverse the order of those three...

Dec 14, 2011, 11:38 AM

and I think that is what really separates him from other players.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Reverse the order of those three...

Dec 14, 2011, 8:27 PM

Agreed. I think that's also the difference between being a successful college player and being a successful pro player. You can only survive on freakish athletic ability for so long. Once you hit your 30s, you're going to have to use your noggin to get ahead in the league.

Replies: 10
| visibility 2,228
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic